or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Eddy Cue latest Apple exec to sell off company shares

Eddy Cue latest Apple exec to sell off company shares - Page 2

post #41 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash907 View Post

Yeah, and then Obama stacked the Fed and his cabinet with those very same crooks, who continued to profit off us. And what did we do? We re-elected him so they could continue to do it for another four years. Crazy? No. Outright insane is what we all are.

Have you actually thought about the consequences to the world economy if the banking sector hadn't been bailed out?
post #42 of 61

Wrong! If you ever owned stock options this is a common exercise

post #43 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilly View Post

Wrong! If you ever owned stock options this is a common exercise

Actually, it's not.

Selling shares to pay taxes on options is common. But most of the recent examples of Apple execs selling shares involved selling essentially ALL of their shares. You don't need to do that to pay taxes - you only need to sell a portion.

Even the capital gains tax issue appears to be a red herring. Most proposals say that capital gains taxes will increase from 15% to either 20 or 22%. So you risk paying 7% more next year. Now, what are you going to do with all the extra cash?
If you plan to invest in other stocks, then the capital gains increase is a non-issue since you'll have to pay tax on the capital gains of the new stocks, anyway. So even if the new stock goes up as much as Apple does, it's a wash. Over the past decade, though, there have been few investments as good as AAPL, so you risk losing out if you put money in something else.
If you put the money in a safe, non-equity investment, the return will almost certainly be lower, so the lower investment returns would probably more than make up for the 5-7% increase in capital gains. Plus, many safe investments pay dividends that are taxed at income rates (up to 35% plus state taxes).
Diversification would be a reasonable argument if they were keeping some of the AAPL, but they're not.

Financially, it just doesn't make sense unless you think the stock has plateaued - which, again, doesn't seem likely. But once you've eliminated all the likely reasons, an unlikely one may be true.

Finally, of course, from a corporate governance perspective, you want key executives to have a significant amount of their money tied up in the company's stock - which is one of the arguments for giving the stock options and grants in the first place.

I don't like it. One or two execs selling shares doesn't mean much, but when several do so at roughly the same time, it's not a good sign.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #44 of 61
This is funny. A bunch of poor people rushing to defend rich people with talking points provided to them by rich people pretending to be struggling middle class people.

Tell us, how low does the bar have to be so you can say "I told you so!" when it comes to taxes, a subject that clearly many folks know little about?
post #45 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

For Tim its all about the money.

Really?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57441279-37/tim-cook-opts-out-of-$75m-worth-of-company-dividends/

post #46 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by radster360 View Post

Maybe you should go back and read some of the Apple financial statements or even Steve's autobiography. Yes, Steve wasn't focused on making lots of money, and he did took only a $1 as a salary, but he was offered lots of stocks as bonus. He was no fool. Payroll taxes, if he gave himself big paycheck would have been huge. The taxes on bonus stocks are computed differently - They are cheaper. In case you don't know, some of the professional players are also getting wiser. They are also moving to similar type strategy on their big multi-year-multi-million deals.

And then there was the small matter of the private jet.

http://allaboutstevejobs.com/pics/stevesplaces/privatejet.php

post #47 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

So, more of the super rich giving Obama the finger by selling off now before next years tax increases thus denying Regressives, Obama, et el, from pissing away other people's money.
So much for that survey of majority of American's wanting the tax increase.

Sure, they're selling off while they can. You would too. It's them using good financial sense.

post #48 of 61

Looks like more people than just Eddy and his cohorts are selling shares today.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #49 of 61

So, how many shares does he have left?  Using the phrase "sells off" would suggest zero but isthat actually true?

post #50 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by shompa View Post

For Tim its all about the money.

This only proves that you are no judge of character. The Tim Cook that I see wants to turn Apple into the world's most competent corporation.
post #51 of 61
Well, everybody is selling today. The Cue effect!
post #52 of 61

Eddie is hedging his "Fiscal Cliff" bets.

Smart man.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #53 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Well, everybody is selling today. The Cue effect!

The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling! Yes, Cue selling 15,000 shares had made everyone nervous and that's why we have 4% drop. Get Real! Some say that this drop is because of the margin requirement changes on APPL shares. There are no fundamental changes in APPL. Again, If you are long - I would just ignore all this.  This stock is going to running sideways remainder of the year. The pop is coming in January after this quarter results. By the time, many questions will be answered (including the Fiscal Cliff)

post #54 of 61
The Sky is Falling! The Sky is Falling! Yes, Cue selling 15,000 shares had made everyone nervous and that's why we have 4% drop. Get Real! Some say that this drop is because of the margin requirement changes on APPL shares. There are no fundamental changes in APPL. Again, If you are long - I would just ignore all this.  This stock is going to running sideways remainder of the year. The pop is coming in January after this quarter results. By the time, many questions will be answered (including the Fiscal Cliff)

Minor correction so that someone else doesn't (only because the jokes are overused): AAPL.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #55 of 61
Quote:

There's also the Digitimes FUD which implies that iPhone sales are declining based on future component purchases (without mentioning that they ALWAYS drop a bit after the introduction quarter).
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #56 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Eddie is hedging his "Fiscal Cliff" bets.

Smart man.

This theory is as credible as any other. Unless Cue talks about it, speculation is everyone's game.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #57 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Have you actually thought about the consequences to the world economy if the banking sector hadn't been bailed out?

I have. We would have avoided needlessly pouring billions into money-losing organizations, those companies and so-called "institutions" would have failed, been sold off to others, etc., and we'd be well on our way to a healthy, market-sensible recovery. People losing their jobs would have been a temporary thing. The economy has been built on fraud for so long, it broke.

As it is, all of these asinine "preventative measures" have exacerbated the depression/recession by avoiding the real collapse. The real collapse will not be avoidable forever. We have a $16 trillion debt, China's patience is running thin, and moves away from trading in the dollar are occurring in a number of countries (they are either trading in a "basket of currencies", or trading with other currencies, or with gold).

"Jobs" have been saved temporarily, at a cost far, far higher than the fair market value, and at taxpayer's expense. Everyone involved in this type of theft should be thrown in jail for life, and I'm not just talking about the people connected to the financial institutions.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #58 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elian Gonzalez View Post

This is funny. A bunch of poor people rushing to defend rich people with talking points provided to them by rich people pretending to be struggling middle class people.
Tell us, how low does the bar have to be so you can say "I told you so!" when it comes to taxes, a subject that clearly many folks know little about?

What does the fact that someone is either poor or rich have to do with you? I suspect jealousy is the motivation.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #59 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

There's also the Digitimes FUD which implies that iPhone sales are declining based on future component purchases (without mentioning that they ALWAYS drop a bit after the introduction quarter).

Goodness knows why anyone, much less AppleInsider, would credit DigiTimes with anything other than being a click-bait manufacturer.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #60 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Looks like more people than just Eddy and his cohorts are selling shares today.

Sure, algorithmic trading programs register a big swing in the markets and sell, sell, sell.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #61 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowney View Post

So, how many shares does he have left?  Using the phrase "sells off" would suggest zero but isthat actually true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... and held only 285 shares after the selloff.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Eddy Cue latest Apple exec to sell off company shares