or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set

Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set - Page 4

post #121 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'd like to see a side mounted Siri button that you can depress with your index finger instead of using your thumb.
I'd also like to see that fingerprint scanner tech they bought used not for security but so whomever had possession of the remote control last will have their settings, shows, history, auto-selected to idealize the UI and make it easier to navigate.

Talking about the cute little remote ... I want the Apple remotes to show up in a 'FindMyRemote" page on my iPad or Mac that is so close up it can show you which room and which sofa they're hiding under! (I kid about the proximity but one can hope).

Plus I would love Apple to sell add on dongles that also show up that I could add to my car keys and the cat etc.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #122 of 212
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
It's unbelievable how they are simply allowed to rip off everything Apple designs.

Inconceivable.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #123 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Inconceivable.

Good edit!
post #124 of 212
Quote:

The first time I saw a Scamsung Smart TV interface I couldn't believe it, it was so like the Apple TV one I actually thought for a moment it was a an Apple TV running. It's unbelievable how they simply rip off everything Apple designs.

Search for the Samsung remote control that looks like an iPhone 4.

Quote:

Talking about the cute little remote ... I want the Apple remotes to show up in a 'FindMyRemote" page on my iPad or Mac that is so close up it can show you which room and which sofa they're hiding under! (I kid about the proximity but one can hope).
Plus I would love Apple to sell add on dongles that also show up that I could add to my car keys and the cat etc.

I'd make it more simple than that since the remote won't need a GPS and it wouldn't be powerful enough to really be accurate for which couch cushion it's under. I'd rather just have a wireless receiver and speaker/circuit that can emit a loud sound when you depress a button on the TV/Apple TV.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #125 of 212
Quote:

Search for the Samsung remote control that looks like an iPhone 4.
I'd make it more simple than that since the remote won't need a GPS and it wouldn't be powerful enough to really be accurate for which couch cushion it's under. I'd rather just have a wireless receiver and speaker/circuit that can emit a loud sound when you depress a button on the TV/Apple TV.

Good idea on the noise, plus a button like that in the cat bowl!
post #126 of 212
Quote:

I am an advocate of absolutely hating everything that I do. That I do. I don't like it when other people get down on themselves.

I just gotta ask: how do you intend on controlling it with a current Apple Remote? Or is that not part of the edits that you've done; more just a layout mockup?

You wanna have some fun with remote designs?

EDIT: Here's what I see as the simplest possible remote to control either an Apple HDTV or an Apple TV+TV.

I hate the Apple remotes so far. They're great for portable use, but damn is it anti-ergonomic.

Quote:
Power would handle power for either the TV or both the TV and Apple TV. Circle's for navigation, button in the center is for accepting. Menu brings up the menu (or takes you back to the menu; probably that) wherever you are in the UI. Volume rocker handles volume. 

Maybe Power would be in the center, but then you still have the volume rocker asymmetry, so I put it on the other side.

Doesn't need a number pad, doesn't need those four colored buttons (whatever those are supposed to do on a Blu-ray player…).

Nine buttons to bring you the best television experience you've ever had. And the simplest one since the days of just ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Power button used to be the middle of the d-pad, but that got changed to select for rearranging tiles.

Quote:

… Right in the middle of the selectors. Just like the current model.

2.39:1 TVs. But I think he meant something different than the ratio.

Those things failed anyway. Only movies use that ratio, and quite a lot of them don't.
post #127 of 212
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
Power button used to be the middle of the d-pad, but that got changed to select for rearranging tiles.

OH! Okay, so just bring that back (hold down Menu) and we can remove the dedicated power button.

Those things failed anyway. Only movies use that ratio, and quite a lot of them don't.

All one of them. Wasn't it just LG that made one? lol.gif

post #128 of 212
My Take on the TV

1) It will have Siri. You can talk to the TV, or a remote, or an iPhone. 
2) It will have face time, and a camera. Like that scene in Back To The Future.
3) A version of iOS, which will have a more restricted app store: games, music, you tube, video related apps. Other apps will have to update - I don't see the use of a productivity app, but weather apps would be good.
4) itunes/music will have a visualiser. 
5) It will sync with all apple devices.
6) It will not be a DVR not in the traditional sense of that idea.
7) It will have inputs for TV, and a DVD player. Possibly both will be HDMI.
8) The TV app will be a normal app, it will show what ever is inputed via the HDMI 1 input.

This will mean that there are apps for Music, YouTube, Videos ( i.e. Apple's video service in the cloud or locally) and apps like NetFlix, *and* an app for live TV.

The app for TV will just transmit what your tuner is showing, you will control it with the normal remote you get with that. It can show picture in picture, of course. Apple may also add an API to allow the use of the iPhone to control the channels - SKY+ already has that ( and you can schedule when not at home). Assume the iPhone will be controlling a lot of this, or voice, or both.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #129 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

My Take on the TV

1) It will have Siri. You can talk to the TV, or a remote, or an iPhone. 
2) It will have face time, and a camera. Like that scene in Back To The Future.
3) A version of iOS, which will have a more restricted app store: games, music, you tube, video related apps. Other apps will have to update - I don't see the use of a productivity app, but weather apps would be good.
4) itunes/music will have a visualiser. 
5) It will sync with all apple devices.
6) It will not be a DVR not in the traditional sense of that idea.
7) It will have inputs for TV, and a DVD player. Possibly both will be HDMI.
8) The TV app will be a normal app, it will show what ever is inputed via the HDMI 1 input.

This will mean that there are apps for Music, YouTube, Videos ( i.e. Apple's video service in the cloud or locally) and apps like NetFlix, *and* an app for live TV.

The app for TV will just transmit what your tuner is showing, you will control it with the normal remote you get with that. It can show picture in picture, of course. Apple may also add an API to allow the use of the iPhone to control the channels - SKY+ already has that ( and you can schedule when not at home). Assume the iPhone will be controlling a lot of this, or voice, or both.

1) My guess is it will not have Siri.

2) It may have FaceTime, it may not, what I don't get is how that's any more useful than using any other device for FaceTime, it seems odd, to me. Especially that you'd have to either go over the stand in front of the TV camera, or be tiny in the living room, on the other end.

3) App Store, yes.

4) Meh

5) Yes, it will have iCloud

6) You don't need to record shows stored on a server.

7) No inputs, period, well, besides those for a surround sound system and an ethernet for those on a wired connection, etc. Perhaps an SD slot, but doubtful.

8) No inputs. (read: control) This device will be very-Apple, it will be locked down like Fort Knox, of which the benefits will be, security, simplicity, cohesion of product and a seamless and integrated experience. If they build it, they will come.

Edited by Ireland - 12/7/12 at 9:01am
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #130 of 212
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
7) No inputs, period, well, besides those for a surround sound system and an ethernet for those on a wired connection, etc. Perhaps an SD slot, but doubtful.

So what's your take on content? In what format is that served?

post #131 of 212
Quote:

2) It may have FaceTime, it may not, what I don't get is how that's any more useful than using any other device for FaceTime, it seems odd, to me. Especially that you'd have to either go over the stand in front of the TV camera, or be tiny in the living room, on the other end

There is another solution. The system will recognize faces then zoom and crop in to the appropriate distance. If there are multiple people in the room you would use the remote control's left/right buttons to switch the focus from user to user. I seem to recall they have a patent or two on this very thing.

Quote:

I see that you've now removed your sig that previously stated there would be no inputs. Zip, zero, zilch. Now you are suggesting there will be some but don't have any way for content to come in via cable or satellite. Do you really think Apple is going to ignore these content distributors completely, especially cable which also supplies the internet? I think it's more likely Apple will work with them instead of closing them out... much in the same way Apple didn't close out carriers when it invented the iPhone.

post #132 of 212
Quote:

So what's your take on content? In what format is that served?

That's the puzzle I'm hoping Apple has solved (be it app channels or a TV subscription contract, where they have all those shows people need). But I do expect this TV to the full locked down.

post #133 of 212
Quote:

There is another solution. The system will recognize faces then zoom and crop in to the appropriate distance. If there are multiple people in the room you would use the remote control's left/right buttons to switch the focus from user to user. I seem to recall they have a patent or two on this very thing.

I know that patent, yes, but the whole thing seems like pure yuck!

post #134 of 212
Quote:

I see that you've now removed your sig that previously stated there would be no inputs. Zip, zero, zilch. 

How dare I change my sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Now you are suggesting there will be some but don't have any way for content to come in via cable or satellite.

Good God, for flip sake. I still mean there will be no inputs, but having the ability to plug in a Denon surround sound amp doesn't step on Apple's toes in any way. Yes, the TV will have speakers, and yes, most people will never plug in a speaker.

And the bloomin' Ethernet cable (if they add one) is simply for wired internet. My input argument was clearly aimed squarely at HDMI and its equivalents, and remains in tact. Next you'll be saying I originally said it would have no power lead. Even Tallest would back me up here, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Do you really think Apple is going to ignore these content distributors completely, especially cable which also supplies the internet?

No. I do not. Clearly they need TV shows, Im well aware of this. What they have in mind is anyone's guess. I hope they were able to negotiate something meaningful. They no doubt know this product is dead in the water if they were not. And in fact, an idea I had recently, whereby you get two options, you can pay full price for the TV (1,299, for example), or a reduced price with a TV with contract (499, for example), this would be an ideal go to market strat. 

Edited by Ireland - 12/7/12 at 9:20am
post #135 of 212
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

If you are talking about the Apple TV remote, the pause button is located where you put the volume control.

Yep, have you used one of the new ones? The silver thing handles that. Yes, Apple literally has two buttons on the Apple Remote that have identical functions. They did it for the sole purpose of symmetry, despite easily being able to just put the Menu button in the center instead.

I have only used the new ones, so it took looking at the table in http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3176
for me to understand what you are talking about. I think it is more likely that Apple retained using the select button for pause/play to make it easy for
people who used the white plastic remote previously. (I am assuming by "silver thing" you mean the select button in the center of the navigation arrows).
post #136 of 212
Quote:

All one of them. Wasn't it just LG that made one? lol.gif

I thought at least one other company made one, maybe Sharp?
post #137 of 212
Quote:

How dare I change my sig.

I can't fathom how your take away was that you should never change your sig as opposed to what I thought was an obvious comment as a backpedal on your previous and quite adamant comment that the connection on your mythical Apple HDTV was a power plug.
Quote:
Good God, for flip sake. I still mean there will be no inputs, but having the ability to plug in a Denon surround sound amp doesn't step on Apple's toes in any way. Yes, the TV will have speakers, and yes, most people will never plug in a speaker.

That's a serious departure from your past stance but audio is the least of inputs to worry about as there are enough high end devices with AirPlay that could make this work quite well. You really should be more concerned with how HD video data will stream to the device without any blocking and who will provide this data. Since you have stated there are no inputs then there is no way to connect to your cable company so you somehow expect Apple to be one, supply an attractive model that replaces it, or someone convince all users to buy a la carte.
Quote:
And the bloomin' Ethernet cable (if they add one) is simply for wired internet. My input argument was clearly aimed squarely at HDMI and its equivalents, and remains in tact. Next you'll be saying I originally said it would have no power lead. Even Tallest would back me up here, I think.

Power was the only cable you said it would have. You originally even stated that it would have no Ethernet.
Quote:
No. I do not. Clearly they need TV shows, Im well aware of this. What they have in mind is anyone's guess. I hope they were able to negotiate something meaningful. They no doubt know this product is dead in the water if they were not. And in fact, an idea I had recently, whereby you get two options, you can pay full price for the TV (1,299, for example), or a reduced price with a TV with contract (499, for example), this would be an ideal go to market strat. 

Contract with whom? Who would supply the internet? What is the model you propose for this setup? How would this affect the current paradigm where the TV content distribution in the US is often responsible for the internet access as well?

post #138 of 212
Ireland, let's have a recap...

A little over a year ago the Steve Jobs biography came out where Steve Jobs talked about how he "cracked the nut" in regards to TV. You think all this nut cracking was to simply take an Apple TV, stick it in a HDTV, remove all the inputs and call it a day. If that's a complex and difficult hurdle for Apple to overcome then I wonder how you can get dressed each morning on your own.

This is what you wrote, "By Apple making an actual TV you end up with no inputs, one remote, one TV, cool hardware design and superb software design."

I replied with, among other things, "So if you agree with Ireland's stated vision then you can't have any inputs for cable, sat., game consoles, Blu-ray/DVD players, TiVo/DVRs. You get nothing but this Apple HDTV and what it connects to and he nor anyone else has stated they have an idea of how Apple could work with content owners and/or content/internet providers to make this dream a possibility. This is why this idea of putting one box in another and calling it a day is such a juvenile and myopic viewpoint of how technology works and evolves. If you add inputs for these other devices you end up with the same complexity you have now."

As well as with this post asking you the same questions I have asked you again to help get your grey matter thinking of the actual issue instead of your unimaginaitve and insatiable desire Apple logo on every electronic device in your home: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/134914/google-tv-gaining-android-market-simpler-interface-with-new-update/40#post_1977461

post #139 of 212

Ireland I think you are totally wrong on the lack of traditional TV inputs - to put it simply its not a TV unless it has a TV input. That used to be a cable to an external ariel - they could in the digital age drop that, but it has to be some kind of input, these days HDMI. The secret of the decoding is proprietary to whatever box is connected to the device. Without that, its not a TV. It just wont sell. 

If successful they can go with the TV App idea, but they need to release without it. Do you think people in Ireland would buy a TV without inputs from UPC, saorview, or SKY+ or other providers, free, satellite or Cable?

Edited by asdasd - 12/7/12 at 12:02pm
post #140 of 212

I also think that the simple input is speech. We know that Siri is not up to scratch but the reality distortion field in Apple may have missed that - in any case voice control over a TV is simple. The FaceTime thing will not just work, but be the future, in fact I have seen it in dozens of sci fi movies and TV shows.

With facial recognition the camera could - as people have said - zoom into a face ( not too close now) or recognise that there are a lot or faces and zoom out. You wouldn't need this all the time - if you have a phone you could answer there - it would "ring" on both devices, but it would be good to talk to 2 or more people at once. At christmas, birthdays etc.

post #141 of 212

But, but, but..... ....it's just a big iPad you control remotely....   1cool.gif

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #142 of 212
Quote:

Power was the only cable you said it would have. You originally even stated that it would have no Ethernet.

Did I? When did I state it would have no Ethernet? I never said, "it will have no Ethernet port", and besides, that would be for a wired internet connection. I think we can agree that whether it does or does not have a Ethernet, that won't dramatically change the product. Basically, it'll be like an Apple TV box, but without the HDMI port, for obvious reasons. Why are we even wasting time talking about this? What you're basically asking me is, do I think you'll be able to plug in other boxes, like PS3s, Cable boxes and DVD players, to which I would say, no. N. O. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

And yes, for the vast majority of people it will have no ports, because they'll never use the audio or Ethernet ports. Most people won't even know what they are for, and that is if it even ends up having an Ethernet port, like the Apple TV. It probably will, though, but this is ultimately irrelevant in the bigger picture.

EDIT: I can't right-click on a word in the comment box, it's doing my head in. Makes me want to shoot my face off with a shotgun, grrr.

Edited by Ireland - 12/7/12 at 2:46pm
post #143 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Ireland I think you are totally wrong on the lack of traditional TV inputs.

Yes, although I'd hope you agree, at least you have the decency to see that it clearly what I was on about.

post #144 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpics View Post

But, but, but..... ....it's just a big iPad you control remotely....   1cool.gif

Or a bigger iPod touch without a touch screen :P

post #145 of 212
Does HDMI cable send a signal both ways? I run my TV through a home theater AV/R. That's an HDMI from cable box, to AV/R, then HDMI out to TV. Plus an Apple TV and a PS3, same set up. If the TV is generating the sound, as it seems would be the case with an interactive TV, how would would that coordinate with an AV/R serving all the other devices to the TV, while the TV is sending sound to the AV/R but not the picture?
post #146 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMHut View Post

Does HDMI cable send a signal both ways? I run my TV through a home theater AV/R. That's an HDMI from cable box, to AV/R, then HDMI out to TV. Plus an Apple TV and a PS3, same set up. If the TV is generating the sound, as it seems would be the case with an interactive TV, how would would that coordinate with an AV/R serving all the other devices to the TV, while the TV is sending sound to the AV/R but not the picture?

It looks like HDMI 1.4 supports an Audio Return Channel just for that purpose. I don't know how well it is supported, but it is necessary to make a smart TV work with an external A/V system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#ARC_and_HEC
post #147 of 212
Quote:

Did I? When did I state it would have no Ethernet? I never said, "it will have no Ethernet port", and besides, that would be for a wired internet connection. I think we can agree that whether it does or does not have a Ethernet, that won't dramatically change the product. Basically, it'll be like an Apple TV box, but without the HDMI port, for obvious reasons. Why are we even wasting time talking about this? What you're basically asking me is, do I think you'll be able to plug in other boxes, like PS3s, Cable boxes and DVD players, to which I would say, no. N. O. I could be wrong, but that's what I think.

And yes, for the vast majority of people it will have no ports, because they'll never use the audio or Ethernet ports. Most people won't even know what they are for, and that is if it even ends up having an Ethernet port, like the Apple TV. It probably will, though, but this is ultimately irrelevant in the bigger picture.

EDIT: I can't right-click on a word in the comment box, it's doing my head in. Makes me want to shoot my face off with a shotgun, grrr.

Ye, you did. Me and others went over it with you to make sure you weren't just being lazy in your writing so you wouldn't come back with a "that's not what I meant" comment. You were so adamant about there being no inputs on the TV that you even quoted another poster in your sig who was making sure he was reading your fantastical comment correctly. Only now, more than a year later are you stating that isn't what you meant.

post #148 of 212
Quote:

Ye, you did. Me and others went over it with you to make sure you weren't just being lazy in your writing so you wouldn't come back with a "that's not what I meant" comment. You were so adamant about there being no inputs on the TV that you even quoted another poster in your sig who was making sure he was reading your fantastical comment correctly. Only now, more than a year later are you stating that isn't what you meant.

Well, I don't consider an Ethernet port or an audio port an input (I meant external box inputs, obviously), I was referring specifically to HDMI ports, and their equivalents. Why are you nitpicking, anyway? Why no talk about the important stuff, like the fact that I believe the TV will be full locked down? (asdide from its App Store)
post #149 of 212
Quote:

Well, I don't consider an Ethernet port or an audio port an input (I meant external box inputs, obviously), I was referring specifically to HDMI ports, and their equivalents. Why are you nitpicking, anyway? Why no talk about the important stuff, like the fact that I believe the TV will be full locked down? (asdide from its App Store)

So now you're trying to say that you meant that with an Apple TV built into a TV that there would be no reason for an HDMI cable to come of the TV just to go back into it? That's just bullshit! You know very well that all ports are input and/or output. Your comment was that the whole thing would only have that single power cable coming out the back like in iMac photos from Apple, expect the option to have any other ports wouldn't exist.

post #150 of 212
Quote:

So now you're trying to say that you meant that with an Apple TV built into a TV that there would be no reason for an HDMI cable to come of the TV just to go back into it? That's just bullshit! You know very well that all ports are input and/or output. Your comment was that the whole thing would only have that single power cable coming out the back like in iMac photos from Apple, expect the option to have any other ports wouldn't exist.

OK, dude. I guess you win. You're always right, anyway.
post #151 of 212
Quote:

OK, dude. I guess you win. You're always right, anyway.

Please! Spare us your martyrdom. If you make a claim stand by it. If it's an opinion then state it as such and note when your opinion has changed. If you state why it has changed you can gain credibility for communicating your reasons. Many posters here disagree with my positions (and I with theirs) but they at least go to the trouble of formulating rational and in-depth argument to support their positions. You could learn something from those posters, and in turn they will learn something from you.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/7/12 at 7:29pm

post #152 of 212
Quote:

Yep, have you used one of the new ones? The silver thing handles that. Yes, Apple literally has two buttons on the Apple Remote that have identical functions. They did it for the sole purpose of symmetry, despite easily being able to just put the Menu button in the center instead.

Sure it is. The requirement for the iPod was that there be a screen. The requirement for the iPhone was that there be a screen. 

Stripped down to its essence, what does a TV require?

… Better be sarcasm.

There's nothing that can be done about that.

But no specific rules the screen needed to follow. They have to follow the aspect ratio and resolution of the competition.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #153 of 212
Quote:

Please! Spare us your martyrdom. If you make a claim stand by it.

I stand by it. No inputs. No HDMI inputs. Jesus dude, that IS what I meant. Don't believe me if you don't want to. You're wrong. You're nitpicking. Look at the current Apple TV, it has both an Ethernet port and an audio line out. You'd want to be retarded to not think the TV would have those. Yet, not many people will use them. Why doesn't the TV need an HDMI port when the Apple TV does? Because the TV is self-contained, and doesn't need to connect to another TV. I'm stating that, so you don't try to nitpick that, also. I shoudn't have to, but for you, I will.

No cable, no PS3, no Xbox, no Wii, no BD player, no inputs. This is exactly what I meant. Read: no inputs, meaning no HDMI ports. Deal with it. I'm not changing my mind.

When I said "no inputs, just a power lead", had you ask me to clarify that statement, or said, "what about my surround sound system?", I would have said, well obviously the TV will have a facility for such a thing. Anyway, the audio port is an OUTPUT, not an input. And it doesn't step on Apple's toes at all, so they would offer it, to make the TV accessible to more people.

THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT. I NEVER CHANGED MY MIND.

I'm not saying I never do change my mind, but in this case, I definitely didn't.

We can argue back and forth about this all day, but you'll still be wrong that I flip-flopped on this, because I didn't. Go on continuing to believe what you want.

Edited by Ireland - 12/8/12 at 6:42am
post #154 of 212
Quote:

I stand by it. No inputs. No HDMI inputs. Jesus dude, that IS what I meant. Don't believe me if you don't want to. You're wrong. You're nitpicking. Look at the current Apple TV, it has both an Ethernet port and an audio line out, you'd want to be retarded to not think the TV would have those. Yet, not many people will use them. Why doesn't the TV need an audio port when the Apple TV does? Beside the TV is self-contained, and doesn't need to connect to another TV. I'm stating that, so you don't try to nitpick that, also. I shoudn't have to, but I'm dealing with you.

No cable, PS3, Xbox, Wii, DVD inputs. This is exactly what I meant. Read: no inputs, meaning no HDMI ports. Deal with it.

I would bet that the number of people willing to forgo all their other video devices is so small that it's delusional to expect there be no HDMI inputs. Especially given how clumsy and limited the current AppleTV lineage is.

An HDMI audio back channel offers a wider range of options than TOSLINK does. If there's a down side to having an HDMI input, you haven't convinced anyone.
Edited by JeffDM - 12/8/12 at 6:41am
post #155 of 212
Quote:

I would bet that the number of people willing to forgo all their other video devices is so small that it's delusional to expect there be no HDMI inputs. Especially with how clumsy the current AppleTV is currently.

You might be right. We'll see. If I know Apple, this thing will be locked down like Fort Knox. But yeah, it will need to be truly compelling to get people to put it in their living room, if it does indeed ship totally locked down, like I believe it will.

post #156 of 212
Quote:

If there's a down side to having an HDMI input, you haven't convinced anyone.

That's not my job.

But, if I had to bring up a download on the consumer end, I would say adding 1, 2 or any HDMI ports adds complexity.

People round here will argue that it wouldn't add complexity, but I believe it does.

post #157 of 212
Quote:

That's not my job.

It's not "your job", but your input to these conversations is pointless if you're doing a bad or nonexistent job of persuading. As it is, you're basically just screaming into a corner.

Quote:
But, if I had to bring up a download on the consumer end, I would say adding 1, 2 or any HDMI ports adds complexity.

People round here will argue that it wouldn't add complexity, but I believe it does.

It does, but sometimes it's unavoidable, and frankly, it's not a big deal. The iOS platform is a lot more complex than the current AppleTV and it hasn't held Apple back. Inputs are certainly simpler than iTune's media management system. If Apple is going to have non-linear or linear "channels", inputs can simply be an additional channel.

A significant number of Apple fans happen to have console systems and I don't see them appreciating such a move or going along with it. If Apple actually does have chops to convince even their current user base to forgo inputs, then they've totally failed to demonstrate any such chops with the current AppleTV lineage so far.
post #158 of 212
Don't get all worked up on someone speculating what the TV if they make one, might be like! It was just a comment someone made! My Mac does not have a ticker running along the bottom, why would a TV? 
post #159 of 212
Actually Steve Jobs said it to his biographer, so it wasn't said in secret.
post #160 of 212
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
But no specific rules the screen needed to follow. They have to follow the aspect ratio and resolution of the competition.

Nope.

Originally Posted by justmeblue View Post
Don't get all worked up on someone speculating what the TV if they make one, might be like! It was just a comment someone made! My Mac does not have a ticker running along the bottom, why would a TV? 

Probably because your Mac isn't a TV. Your Mac doesn't have wheels on the bottom, why would a car? See how it doesn't work? 

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set