or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set

Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set - Page 3

post #81 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Shut Up And Take My Money!

No kidding!

oneof52
oneof52
post #82 of 212

I think the "magic" of what we will see will be how much we DON'T see.

I expect a voice controlled interface LIKE Siri -- but the real magic will be the same that people take for granted now with iTunes; 95% sweat licensing and 5% on software.

All the middle-men out there like restrictions and hoops -- and for good reason. Any device that revolutionizes entertainment and fixes "what is wrong" is by necessity, going to break a lot of the old paradigms and profit models -- because it will be User-centric, just like that evil "walled garden" of the iPhone that few are trying to escape.

I'm pretty sure I have a good idea on how it would work (might even require a certain Kinect-like device), but really, it all probably depends a lot more on nailing down licensing and keeping ISPs from throttling it. The only sure thing is, it's going to be OBVIOUS immediately after everyone is shocked.

post #83 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The image they always use for these stories annoys me to no end. It's possibly the worst attempt at "perspective" that I've ever seen.

yes, it boggles the mind.  I guess someone at AI thinks this is what Apple Television should look like, yet on Apple's own website they show you (albeit a generic image) an image of what Apple think s a TV looks like.  Yes it's a generic, nondescript TV that bares a striking resemblance to an older Panasonic Pro-series monitor from the early 2000's

and it's not aluminum with rounded corners...but it's what Apple's Website shows.

post #84 of 212
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
It certainly doesn't look like a 55" future Apple TV.

What WOULD, is what I'm getting at. A screen with a bezel and a stand (nothing more) doesn't look like a TV? What WOULD look like a TV to you?

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #85 of 212
One that looks larger than 27" for a start. 

I seriously don't believe that you're not saying this in jest. It's unfathomable. Therefore I'll just say, "You got me," and we'll leave it at that.

post #86 of 212
No wonder Apple's stock has been dropping, those in the know have shorted it so it would be less expensive to buy as Apple's TV set near. LOL!
post #87 of 212

I can't see how it will be an actual "set."  It'd be priced way too high, my opinion.  More like, it's an updated STB with all the functions of DVR, unbundled channels, and perhaps a larger thunderbolt display.  I *think* Apple could produce this in the $1k range, give or take, even with their margins.

post #88 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

This reveal is sooo un-Steve like ....

well, i will hold my purchase for a new TV set. in current market, i can only see sony's xbr set has the best color uniformity. 

post #89 of 212

Here's my pathetic contribution:

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #90 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I can't see how it will be an actual "set."  It'd be priced way too high, my opinion.  More like, it's an updated STB with all the functions of DVR, unbundled channels, and perhaps a larger thunderbolt display.  I *think* Apple could produce this in the $1k range, give or take, even with their margins.

You might be right. We're were wrong about the iPad price, and people never choose the base model, anyway.

post #91 of 212
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I am an advocate of absolutely hating everything that I do. That I do. I don't like it when other people get down on themselves.

I just gotta ask: how do you intend on controlling it with a current Apple Remote? Or is that not part of the edits that you've done; more just a layout mockup?

You wanna have some fun with remote designs?

EDIT: Here's what I see as the simplest possible remote to control either an Apple HDTV or an Apple TV+TV.

Power would handle power for either the TV or both the TV and Apple TV. Circle's for navigation, button in the center is for accepting. Menu brings up the menu (or takes you back to the menu; probably that) wherever you are in the UI. Volume rocker handles volume. 

Maybe Power would be in the center, but then you still have the volume rocker asymmetry, so I put it on the other side.

Doesn't need a number pad, doesn't need those four colored buttons (whatever those are supposed to do on a Blu-ray player…).

Nine buttons to bring you the best television experience you've ever had. And the simplest one since the days of just ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 12/6/12 at 1:36pm

post #92 of 212
Quote:

I am an advocate of absolutely hating everything that I do. That I do. I don't like it when other people get down on themselves.

I just gotta ask: how do you intend on controlling it with a current Apple Remote? Or is that not part of the edits that you've done; more just a layout mockup?

Cheers. Nah I'm not being hard on myself. I just know I'm no PS wizard.

No, I doubt their actual TV remote will be the regular Apple remote, but I expect something very simple.

post #93 of 212
Quote:

One that looks larger than 27" for a start. All we can do is guess, but I would hope this would be closer to the mark.

Dump the ugly table and that's a nice set up.

post #94 of 212
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

EDIT: Here's what I see as the simplest possible remote to control either an Apple HDTV or an Apple TV+TV.

Power would handle power for either the TV or both the TV and Apple TV. Circle's for navigation, button in the center is for accepting. Menu brings up the menu (or takes you back to the menu; probably that) wherever you are in the UI. Volume rocker handles volume. 

Maybe Power would be in the center, but then you still have the volume rocker asymmetry, so I put it on the other side.

Doesn't need a number pad, doesn't need those four colored buttons (whatever those are supposed to do on a Blu-ray player…).

Nine buttons to bring you the best television experience you've ever had. And the simplest one since the days of just ABC, NBC, and CBS.

Doesn't need a pause button.
post #95 of 212
Originally Posted by quinney View Post

Hmm? How do you pause videos, then? And the button serves as a confirmation when not in media, so it should stick around.

post #96 of 212
"Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set" is misleading.
A better headline would be "...redefine the TV experience"
post #97 of 212
Quote:

If a future Apple Television has a remote then it's a FAIL.

Siri or nothing - otherwise what exactly is "redefined"?

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
post #98 of 212
Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post
Siri or nothing - otherwise what exactly is "redefined"?

You'd better be joking.

post #99 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

I hope so. I've got a Samsung Smart TV. The actual display is fantastic but the Smart TV functionality is woeful. Slow, terrible UI, constant updates... about the only good feature is that you can plug in any old USB hard-drive and use it as a DVR.
I hope it's a totally different form factor
post #100 of 212
Quote:

Quote:

Hmm? How do you pause videos, then? And the button serves as a confirmation when not in media, so it should stick around.

Well then put one on your mockup.
post #101 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppAlive View Post

I hope it's a totally different form factor

How can one make a TV and change the form factor? Going back to 4:3 instead of 16:9?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #102 of 212

… Right in the middle of the selectors. Just like the current model.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
How can one make a TV and change the form factor? Going back to 4:3 instead of 16:9?

2.39:1 TVs. But I think he meant something different than the ratio.

post #103 of 212
The Apple Television will come out. There will be law suits over its technological abilities. Also there will be some sort of gate issue Like antenna gate crap and we will comment that Apple is Doomed. BFD.
An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #104 of 212
Yes I meant something different. Form factor was the wrong terminology. Oop. I was thinking like something different to the standard box, some kind of different technology in projection. Not sure, this was my first post and a stupid one at that. 1smile.gif
post #105 of 212
Quote:

Quote:

If you are talking about the Apple TV remote, the pause button is located where you put the volume control.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC377LL/A/apple-remote
post #106 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

It doesn't.  It's all speculation.   One of the reasons why the TV market sucks is because a lot of people are waiting for Apple to release an actually line of Smart TVs.  And maybe just the pent up demand being built is enough to through off the TV market.  Right now, Plasma is being phased out, and Sharp's new iGZO technology is going to be released next month at CES and that's supposed to be the replacement for what is currently on the market since it can go to higher resolution, requires less power, etc.

I hope that most of that is sarcasm. The only people who might wait are the ones that read these boards.  I haven't looked at the television market. If you want to know what is coming, look at trade shows and tech articles. It's possible that new stuff is already in development. I've been unsure about the idea of an Apple television. The positive aspect there is that it would give them a presence in another market. Right now they have an extremely low stake in television. They have nothing to cannibalize, as the current Apple TV is trivial relative to other products. Lower power requirements would possibly solve a few engineering problems there. The issue of trying to stabilize color at higher temperatures when energy spent to do so can cause more heat presents a greater problem in larger displays. I haven't read up enough on IGZO, but I'm kind of wondering how long before backlighting goes away. It would solve the issue of backlight bleed and possibly uniformity with a lessened requirement to solve the problem through panel blocking and reduced contrast.

post #107 of 212
Quote:

So how would or could Apple change the form factor of TVs? Can't deviate much from what's already out there. There were no guidelines to design the iPod and iPhone. They were able to start with a blank slate and make something unique, that's not the case with TVs.
Edited by dasanman69 - 12/6/12 at 6:06pm
post #108 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I don't think it will have a DVR function though. If you can watch any programme on demand then why would you need it?

When Cook says that watching TV is like going back in time 30 or 40 years, I think he is referring to the fact that everyone is still tied to TV schedules.
post #109 of 212

Sorry Apple, but you obviously missed the boat. The time to release consumer electronics is BEFORE Christmas. 

Massive deadline fail

post #110 of 212
If the AppleTV box were to have DVR capability, it would need a means of storage. I can't see Apple putting a disk drive (back) in there; I can see it being an SSD, but a reasonable size, say at least 256 GB, would add significant $$$ to the cost. The price on SSDs could come down significantly, of course; or they could get a good price on volume (and that might in turn help put bigger SSDs in Macs 1smile.gif).

On the other hand, I don't see any prospective content providers/studios being happy with users being able to record what they like at their ( the users') leisure, unless they (the providers) can possibly prevent it. Otherwise, why did Apple remove the recording medium from the AppleTV box in the first place (other than cutting the cost of the device, of course)? They (the providers) would come up with some way of upsetting the users' experience, rather in the way that they do at the moment with warning ads and screens re copying at every conceivable opportunity, or forcing the users to pay for unwanted TV bundles, for example (and both of those drive me right up the wall).

It just seems (to me) to be the way that the content providers tick. And at the moment I can't see how Apple could get around them (which doesn't mean that they haven't of course - I'm not Apple, and I lack their imagination).
Edited by AlexN - 12/6/12 at 10:18pm
post #111 of 212
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Maybe 3D holography 1wink.gif. I think we're a long way away from that, though...
Edited by AlexN - 12/6/12 at 10:19pm
post #112 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

I have no doubt that Apple is working to take over the living room.
I am looking forward to it.
I hope they work with Loewe on designs...
http://www.loewe.tv/int
Time will tell.

Please don't. Loewe design is awful. I don't know about other people like but to me, they are stuck in the 70s in term of design feel and look.
post #113 of 212
Quote:

Ouch. Asymmetrical placement. Not wise.
post #114 of 212

A television? Lordy, what will they think of next!

post #115 of 212
If you are talking about the Apple TV remote, the pause button is located where you put the volume control.

Yep, have you used one of the new ones? The silver thing handles that. Yes, Apple literally has two buttons on the Apple Remote that have identical functions. They did it for the sole purpose of symmetry, despite easily being able to just put the Menu button in the center instead.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post
They were able to start with a blank slate and make something unique, that's not the case with TVs.

Sure it is. The requirement for the iPod was that there be a screen. The requirement for the iPhone was that there be a screen. 

Stripped down to its essence, what does a TV require?

Originally Posted by strobe View Post
Sorry Apple, but you obviously missed the boat. The time to release consumer electronics is BEFORE Christmas. Massive deadline fail

… Better be sarcasm.

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post
Ouch. Asymmetrical placement. Not wise.

There's nothing that can be done about that.

post #116 of 212
One thing that is feasible and they could make is this : a 3D screen with dual cameras (à-la kinect) to detect the position of people in the room and precisely of their eyes. 3D icons that spring out of the screen and the user can just 'touch' the icon to activate. The cameras would detect the position of the finger, of the eyes, and calculate which button was pressed.
post #117 of 212
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post
…a 3D screen with dual cameras (à-la kinect) to detect the position of people in the room and precisely of their eyes.

Dual 10MP, low-light cameras… in a TV?

post #118 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How does that comment indicate Apple is planning a television set?

Note that "redefine the TV set" is not the same as "planning a TV set".

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #119 of 212
Quote:

I'd like to see a side mounted Siri button that you can depress with your index finger instead of using your thumb.

I'd also like to see that fingerprint scanner tech they bought used not for security but so whomever had possession of the remote control last will have their settings, shows, history, auto-selected to idealize the UI and make it easier to navigate.

post #120 of 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Tim, Tim, Tim...I think it's time for an upgrade my friend. So wheel out your old set...

and wheel in the new...

The first time I saw a Scamsung Smart TV interface I couldn't believe it, it was so like the Apple TV one I actually thought for a moment it was a an Apple TV running. It's unbelievable how they simply rip off everything Apple designs.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set