or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook 'ditched' physical keyboards, uses iPad and iPhone 80% of the time

Tim Cook 'ditched' physical keyboards, uses iPad and iPhone 80% of the time

post #1 of 33
NBC has posted another snippet of Tim Cook's interview with Brian Williams, this time regarding the Apple chief's love of the virtual keyboards implemented in iOS device like the iPad and iPhone.

Time Cook Interview
NBC's Brian Williams (left) interviews Apple CEO Tim Cook (right). | Source: TVNewser

In the brief clip, Williams asks Cook if he ever responds to emails from customers, whether it be praise, questions or negative feedback regarding one of Apple's products.

"Every day," Cook said, explaining, "I get hundreds, and some days thousands of emails from customers. This is a privilege because they talk to you as if you're sitting at their kitchen table. Because they care so deeply about Apple, they want to make a suggestion, or want to ask for help on something, or want to tell you how much they love the product."

The Apple head admitted that sometimes he "gets an earful" from disappointed customers.

Williams asked Cook how adept he is at using the virtual keyboard, noting that many find the feature "confounding."

"Pretty good," he said. "I think if you stick with it a little while you get quite good at it. And the auto correction is quite good."

Cook said he "dtiched" the physical keyboard, and although he still uses a Mac, 80 percent of his time is spent on an iPad.

"Of course I've got this with me all the time," Cook said, holding up a white iPhone 5.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

post #2 of 33
So how do I just actually watch the whole interview?
post #3 of 33
He doesn't have an iPhone 5!?
post #4 of 33
".. Cook said, holding up a white iPhone 4S."

So Tim Cook doesn't even carry an iPhone 5??? Guess I don't blame him - the cost of breaking contract is expensive. 1smile.gif
post #5 of 33
No one expects the CEO to spend his day using a keyboard. On the other hand, the rest of us are far more productive with them and a mouse.
post #6 of 33
Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post
…the rest of us are far more productive with them and a mouse.

Mmm…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by IchLiebeApfel View Post

He doesn't have an iPhone 5!?

Maybe I'm not the only one who prefers the 4S form factor - size, proportions, glass back. 

post #8 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

So how do I just actually watch the whole interview?

Brian Williams full interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook airs tonight, Dec. 6 at 10pm/9c on NBC’s Rock Center with Brian Williams.  

post #9 of 33
Has anyone actually watched the video? He is holding an iPhone 5.
post #10 of 33
Nice to know I'm not alone in finding that my iMac is gathering dust. Didn't plan it that way, it just happened.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
A.k.a. AppleHead on other forums.
post #11 of 33
Quote:

No one expects the CEO to spend his day using a keyboard. On the other hand, the rest of us are far more productive with them and a mouse.

I no longer use a computer for email, the only time I didn't used to use iOS was for scanning attachments, now I use dropbox, iBooks and mail.

Mouse I only use at work, an excellent trackpad, such as on MacBooks easily substitutes, cheap Windows laptops not so much.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I no longer use a computer for email, the only time I didn't used to use iOS was for scanning attachments, now I use dropbox, iBooks and mail.

Mouse I only use at work, an excellent trackpad, such as on MacBooks easily substitutes, cheap Windows laptops not so much.

Good for you. I'm not driving around, chatting up my day.

post #13 of 33
Quote:

You're assuming a lot here ("the rest of us").  I can type 60-70 wpm on a physical keyboard but I type about 40 wpm on the iPad virtual keyboard.  The physical keyboard is definitely faster, but I think that for most people, the majority of the time they don't need to type anywhere that fast.  I know some serious IT guys that are far more qualified than me who still use two fingers and type about 30 wpm as a result.  

Unless you are writing a novel or are an old-school typist or secretary there really isn't a need for sustained high-speed typing anymore.  I can basically thumb-type on my iPad's virtual keyboard while walking down the hallway and dodging through the crowd faster than most people type sitting at a desktop with a physical keyboard and isn't that enough?  

Also, since I'm close to a million years old, I suspect that "kids" will soon be doing this even faster.  Physical keyboards will soon be used only for certain, specific, dedicated uses IMO.  

post #14 of 33
No, we have too many illiterate people that don't read, or their auto-correction is working the way it wants to work.
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Nice to know I'm not alone in finding that my iMac is gathering dust. Didn't plan it that way, it just happened.
Well, I u my iPad a few hours a day, but I prefer a keyboard, a big screen, and being able to do many things at the same time. But I will use my iPad to do some correspondence, but I prefer to use my iMac.
post #16 of 33

Yea, he's quite obviously holding an iPhone 4S. They need to change that. Someone should have asked him why he's carrying the 4S rather than the 5. I have the 5 and I think it was a great improvement over the 4S, but I can see how some people would like the 4S because of its smaller size. I have huge hands, so I don't have a problem with the longer screen, lol. The aluminum back doesn't bother me either since I always wear a case. Its still in perfect condition. But if you want to rock a naked iPhone, I would be afraid of the 5's aluminum back getting scratched and/or dented.

post #17 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Maybe I'm not the only one who prefers the 4S form factor - size, proportions, glass back. 

No, you are not the only one. IMO update to LTE (if the chips will fit) etc and its good to go.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #18 of 33
Well of course he would have ditched physical keyboards if he is the CEO of a company which manufactures them, matching his highest costumer demand.
post #19 of 33

He's a well known workaholic, and a that person who spends all their time working would do 80% of their typing on an iPad stretches credibility.

post #20 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

No, we have too many illiterate people that don't read, or their auto-correction is working the way it wants to work.

Losely speaking. do you think if we set them lose, we can loose them?

post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

He's a well known workaholic, and a that person who spends all their time working would do 80% of their typing on an iPad stretches credibility.

CEO's don't need to write essay's, they can write curt, to the point answers.

Read, digest, decide, answer, sometimes one word may be enough.

post #22 of 33
@robin huber: you can ship it to me 1tongue.gif

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #23 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Well, I u my iPad a few hours a day,

It shows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_Apple View Post

The aluminum back doesn't bother me either since I always wear a case.

I would love to see that.  I'm boring and wear clothes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
 matching his highest costumer demand.

I've heard of an emperor who did that.

Quote:

You just had to go and try it to see what it would be like - well now you know.

1wink.gif

post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Well of course he would have ditched physical keyboards if he is the CEO of a company which manufactures them, matching his highest costumer demand.

He's not into clothing, he's into computers.

post #25 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

He's not into clothing, he's into computers.

See the trouble touchscreen keyboards can cause!

Thankfully you can buy Bluetooth keyboards.
post #26 of 33

Are you missing some fingers? I'm trying to think of reasons you wouldn't be able to type on an iPad…

post #27 of 33

I find typing to be easy, obviously not as fast as a physical keyboard and dictation is always an option and it isn't too horrible, I tried it out a bit yesterday while talking to a friend on FB.  Seemed to make more mistakes / completely miss words more often but the tradeoff is it's much faster, if I were composing something long it'd be worth the time saved to go back and fix any of its mistakes.  Of course for some situations dictation might be .. not the best choice.

everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
everything is good and it's gonna be that way forever
post #28 of 33
post #29 of 33

Anyone happen to know if there has ever been a worse physical keyboard than the one Apple provided with the G5 iMac?

post #30 of 33
I got the ZAGG keyboard when it went on sale cyber Monday but just the other day I had to type something up that I didn't have the keyboard yet (was still in route) and I found no troubles at all typing along with the split keyboard. Started wondering if maybe my desire to have a physical keyboard was really misplaced.

I replaced my laptop a while ago with an iMac iPad combo and have never looked back, for what I do it is actually far better because the battery on the iPad lasts forever.
post #31 of 33
He is neither a programmer nor a content producer, so iPad probably works great for him. Hopefully he realizes that is not the case for 100% of all Apple customers.
I got nothin'.
I got nothin'.
post #32 of 33

Hopefully his light use of computers doesn't blind him to the fact that there are those who still use keyboards with computers to actually DO things besides chat.

I can only imagine Cook's communications within Apple:

Quote:

"Yes"

"No"

"if U R sure then itv is go"

"I've do U have teh new designs 4 me"

I know I'm not the only one who hates the semi-literate correspondence imposed by touchscreen keyboards.  Half the time I don't know what the fu[k the other person is even talking about.  

post #33 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you missing some fingers? I'm trying to think of reasons you wouldn't be able to type on an iPad…

A need to actually write something longer than a discussion forum post?  Carpal Tunnel Syndrome?  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Tim Cook 'ditched' physical keyboards, uses iPad and iPhone 80% of the time