or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cook admits love of 'Jetsons,' but little else to NBC about potential Apple television

Cook admits love of 'Jetsons,' but little else to NBC about potential Apple television

post #1 of 51
Brian Williams of NBC admitted it was "frustrating" trying to pry answers from Apple's elusive CEO Tim Cook, particularly when the two discussed the possibility of an Apple television.

Cook

In an effort to find out what might be in Apple's pipeline, Williams asked Cook about the progress of technology and what might be to come. Cook recalled when he was a child and a fan of the animated TV show "The Jetsons," a program that fantasized about the potential technology of the future."

"I loved 'The Jetsons,'" Cook said on NBC's Rock Center Thursday night. "We're living the Jetsons with this."

Attempting to get more out of Cook, Williams noted that Apple's FaceTime video chat is straight out of "The Jetsons," but "television is still television."

Cook

Cook would only go as far as to say that the television set was an area of "intense interest" for Apple, but smiled when he noted that he couldn't say "more than that."

Williams then employed a different approach, asking Cook to finish a sentence: "Ten years from now, Americans will be amazed that they ever?" But again, Cook declined to take the bait.

"Our whole role in life is to give you something you didn't know you wanted, and then once you get it, you can't imagine your life without it," he told Williams "And you can count on Apple doing that."

Cook

The two also spent some time discussing a bit about Cook's personal life, revealing that he ? like Apple co-founder Steve Jobs ? is a big fan of Bob Dylan. The program also noted that U.S. politician Bobby Kennedy was his hero growing up.

Cook also revealed that he works out to keep stress away, and is in the gym by 5 a.m. every morning. He said that if he has the free time, he enjoys going to a national park.

"These are things that calm my mind and allow me to think clearly," he said, "and so that's what I do."
post #2 of 51
Is AI going to create a separate thread for everything Cook discussed in the interview? 1oyvey.gif
post #3 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is AI going to create a separate thread for everything Cook discussed in the interview? 1oyvey.gif

Just every sentence.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #4 of 51
The remote control that the Jetson's used only had two buttons on it. It's pretty sad to spend so much money on plasma and LCD TV and you still can't get a remote that is backlit.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
post #5 of 51

I always preferred The Flintstones myself.

post #6 of 51
Did Brian Williams actually think he was "journalistic" enough to pry from Tim Cook Apple's plan for the Living Room and the Television? Sorry Brian, you are not as 'great' at your profession as you would like to think you are!

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #7 of 51
Of course you would not get much from Tim Cook why would he reveal a secret as big as a tv. Did Samsung do a interview and say we're creating a tv.
post #8 of 51
So has anybody managed to see it on something else besides NBC? It must be liberated . . .

I like the "area of intense interest for us" part.
post #9 of 51
Cook doesn't look great in this. Hard to believe he works out everyday and spends his free time in national parks.

Is he a smoker?
post #10 of 51
I don't think he believes in the future of the Jetsons: happy people enjoying their lives and enjoying technology.

He thinks the future is an environmental catastrophe, that's why he keep's investing all this Apple money in fuel cells etc.
post #11 of 51

Forget an Apple TV, they can't stream rentals or purchases. For months now I have been trying to stream purchases and rentals, no hope. For the purchases I have to download. One hour for 1.5 GBs. I have a high speed ADSL2 connection. Other services I have no problems. Google it, people are screaming about it. Why would you buy an Apple TV if they can't get the iCloud streaming right.

post #12 of 51

Cook is becoming really badass.

The best CEO Apple could get (right know).

post #13 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

It's pretty sad to spend so much money on plasma and LCD TV and you still can't get a remote that is backlit.

Don't you know Samsung has invented something for this problem¿ In the dark I search for and find my remote, I fiddle around in the dark long enough to find the right button and then the backlit turns on. Just a bummer the light always turns off while looking for my intended button to press...
post #14 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Hatfield View Post

Forget an Apple TV, they can't stream rentals or purchases. For months now I have been trying to stream purchases and rentals, no hope. For the purchases I have to download. One hour for 1.5 GBs. I have a high speed ADSL2 connection. Other services I have no problems. Google it, people are screaming about it. Why would you buy an Apple TV if they can't get the iCloud streaming right.

Streams just fine for me, straight from iCloud through my AppleTV to my TV. The beauty is it all goes through iTunes, a little program I have used for 11 years now, single-sign-on and all. Couldn't be easier. iTunes, perhaps you've heard of it?

post #15 of 51

You'll all see it when they get it right and with 400 million customers they'll do just fine

post #16 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien Hatfield View Post

LOL. You can't even get an Apple TV to work? And you've been trying for months now with no solution? How did you even find this web page? How do you eat without choking?

post #17 of 51

"This is definitive proof that Apple is going to create a robot. If you disagree, you're a complete idiot and have no right to speak your mind."

No, seriously, I got that somewhere else when I questioned an article that said an Apple television was confirmed. lol.gif

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #18 of 51

Maybe it's just my fanboism, but NBC seems to imply only Apple uses China labor. They should have stated, "Like many electronics companies, Apple products are manufactured in Asia..."

post #19 of 51
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
Maybe it's just my fanboism, but NBC seems to imply only Apple uses China labor. They should have stated, "Like many electronics companies, Apple products are manufactured in Asia..."

Apple controversy gets hits. Controversy from anyone else, particularly the companies that are actually controversial, doesn't.

post #20 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"This is definitive proof that Apple is going to create a robot. If you disagree, you're a complete idiot and have no right to speak your mind."

No, seriously, I got that somewhere else when I questioned an article that said an Apple television was confirmed. lol.gif

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #21 of 51
Great! I want my iRosie! Quick - I should trademark the name so Apple can buy me out for millions!!
post #22 of 51
Quote:

Apple controversy gets hits. Controversy from anyone else, particularly the companies that are actually controversial, doesn't.
But people make up controversies. And are hypocritical. Like nailing Apple because their products are to difficult to manufacture in one breath and in another saying things like friction stir welding and incredibly tight tolerances are no big deal and other consumer electronics companies have been using those processes for years. Just a week or two ago Apple was granted a patent related to wireless charging. Then I see a bunch of tweets from people having a go at Apple for thinking they invented wireless charging, no doubt the people tweeting this nonsense never actually read through the patent to understand exactly what was granted. And of course the biggest offender of all, claiming the Samsung trial is about "rounded rectangles". I encourage people to search the patent office for Samsung design patents....their you'll see all kinds of patents for "rounded rectangles". Like this one: http://www.google.com/patents/USD636187
post #23 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Did Brian Williams actually think he was "journalistic" enough to pry from Tim Cook Apple's plan for the Living Room and the Television? Sorry Brian, you are not as 'great' at your profession as you would like to think you are!

Basically.

A good journalist researches the interviewee and knows things like 'Tim Cook will avoid questions about future plans and products' so as to not look stupid

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #24 of 51
Quote:

Rosy?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #25 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Cook doesn't look great in this. Hard to believe he works out everyday and spends his free time in national parks.
Is he a smoker?

Oh for the love of Steve, can we not start discussing Tim's health etc. they were filming an ambient light with perhaps a small focus light and a couple of kickers. Everyone looks like shit in that kind of setup.

post #26 of 51

How would Tim double-down on leaks if he's telling Brian Williams what's new from Apple?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #27 of 51

How has everyone missed the obvious: Apple is about to release a FLYING CAR!  

post #28 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
Cook also revealed that he works out to keep stress away, and is in the gym by 5 a.m. every morning.

I bet he started doing it at 8am but then employees were getting in first making out like they were better than him and they had a back and forth until Cook settled on 5am. Once you get to the middle of the night, I can imagine a lot of people giving in. If an employee complains about not getting enough sleep, he's always got the line 'I've been up since before 5am, quit your whining'. Wait until he gets a partner though, there's no way he's getting a good enough sleep to get up at 5am.

Also, who's to say he's working out? It just says he's in the gym. Maybe he just stays in the locker room. If I could sit in the women's locker room at the gym, I'd be in at 5am every day too.

I liked the Jetsons, it had an undertone of sexism sorely missing from modern cartoons:

It portrayed simpler times where the man went to work, the women spent all his money on shopping and the kids were fine upstanding members of society - everybody was white and heterosexual too for some reason.
post #29 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Is he a smoker?

If you weren't just doing run-of-the-mill trolling, I'd say you were out of your mind. Tim Cook looks great.

Also: he is so sure of what he and Apple are doing that he can pleasantly fend off Brian Williams' provocative clichés time after time without breaking his expression. Really, "journalism" has become a contemptible exercise in sensation-mongering.

MacObserver has a link to a YouTube copy of 20 minutes of the interview. I guess it's the whole thing.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/rock-centers-tim-cook-interview-appears-on-youtube
post #30 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

The remote control that the Jetson's used only had two buttons on it. It's pretty sad to spend so much money on plasma and LCD TV and you still can't get a remote that is backlit.

Sure, you can get a remote that is backlit.  Mine has a backlight and the TV isn't even a plasma or LCD TV, it's an older Toshiba rear projection CRT HDTV.  The backlight is a nice blue. 

post #31 of 51

I wonder why they did not ask Tim Cook about the accusations that he steals french fries from other Apple employee's lunch plates in the cafeteria?

The rumors are that it causes more problems than Scott Forstall ever did.  

But the french fries are Made in America.

post #32 of 51
Originally Posted by msimpson View Post
I wonder why they did not ask Tim Cook about the accusations that he steals french fries from other Apple employee's lunch plates in the cafeteria?

Why are you still saying this?

post #33 of 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shameer Mulji View Post

I always preferred The Flintstones myself.

I'd love to see a limited edition stone iPhone.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #34 of 51
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If the show ever had a modern-day revival, it'd be terrible (think what happened to older cartoon franchises in the '80s and early '90s) and would include "pop culture references" to be hip. One of these in a "Flinstones X" would definitely be the throwaway joke "iStone".

Your post just made me think of that.

post #35 of 51
Quote:

Too funny when I Googled that, as well as pretty stupid:

https://www.google.nl/search?q=stone+iPhone&hl=en&client=safari&tbo=d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=ML_DUMveLubU4QSk0oAw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1024&bih=644
post #36 of 51
Quote:

Of course they are creating a robot and they will name it "Sparky".

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #37 of 51

Ha! I had no knowledge of this, your honor.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 51
Quote:

Quote:

If the show ever had a modern-day revival, it'd be terrible (think what happened to older cartoon franchises in the '80s and early '90s) and would include "pop culture references" to be hip. One of these in a "Flinstones X" would definitely be the throwaway joke "iStone".

Not only that - they would now do such a remake in "3D" animation - which most often leaves me (excuse the pun) stone cold.
post #39 of 51
Originally Posted by AlexN View Post
Not only that - they would now do such a remake in "3D" animation - which most often leaves me (excuse the pun) stone cold.

Nah, doesn't lend itself well to the subject matter. They'd do it in FLASH, like many cartoons are these days.

I refuse to consider anything made in Flash a television show. It's just disgusting and lazy.

post #40 of 51
Quote:

Quote:

I refuse to consider anything made in Flash a television show. It's just disgusting and lazy.

If it's entertaining then the medium shouldn't be a factor. I've certainly enjoyed the cleverness of the South Park writers and you can't much more simple than cardboard cutouts (which is now done with animations to mimic the cardboard, as is their new game, The Stick of Truth.)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Cook admits love of 'Jetsons,' but little else to NBC about potential Apple television