or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Republican obstructionism has now officially jumped the shark
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Republican obstructionism has now officially jumped the shark - Page 3

post #81 of 200
Thread Starter 

First you want me to make a new thread, presumably so you would respond.  Now you tell me that you won't answer me because "it's clear I'm not listening."  That seems logically inconsistent with the previous statement.  Seems like another dodge from this angle.  Show me I'm wrong.  Show me you aren't dodging.  Answer me.

 

You want a deity to be an acceptable interpretation for the given evidence, but cannot define nor provide separate evidence for said deity.  Explain to me why your deity hypothesis should be given the time of day.  

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #82 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

The primary and deepest fallacy should be obvious. But I'll explain it anyway.

 

You unquestionably assume a single specific process from the evidence AND absolutely, unquestionably reject even the possibility of other processes including any that would involve a higher-order being (e.g., a "god").

 

Let me put it another way:

 

  1. The evidence could be described by a process unguided by any higher-order intelligent life-form (e.g., "god")...but the evidence does not prove this and actually leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
  2. The evidence could be interpreted as the work of a higher-order intelligent life-form (e.g., designer)

 

You assume #1 and absolutely, unquestionably, vehemently (and usually smugly and arrogantly also) exclude #2. You don't even allow this as a possibility. Yet the evidence itself doesn't prove (or disprove) either. It is a matter of the interpretation of the evidence.

 

Now that we have that out of the way, we should probably get back to the thread topic.

 

If you chose to start a thread (in civilized manner) on the subject of evolution, I might chose to contribute to that thread.

 

P.S. Good luck getting that anger and bitterness under control in the new year.

 

Quote:
  1. The evidence could be described by a process unguided by any higher-order intelligent life-form (e.g., "god")...but the evidence does not prove this and actually leaves a lot of room for interpretation.
  2. The evidence could be interpreted as the work of a higher-order intelligent life-form (e.g., designer)

 

So what you're saying here is that those items could be real but the product of a higher intelligence. That could be. It's a big universe and I'd be the first to say we don't know everything. However there's no evidence out there to support that and given the complexity of the universe this could easily be the product of random things coming together over periods of time that mere humans and their short life span have real trouble wrapping their heads around.

 

There is a lot of evidence to support that as we can see how complex the makeup of things are in nature. When you put that together with a very long period of time it's not hard to imagine things coming together this way. Then you would ask "  Well how come things are just right for us? ". To that I would answer once again the extremely long period of time and the fact that it doesn't seem so fantastic to understand that the reason we're here to ask those very same questions about our origin is the result of that process. In other words after much trial and error life finally came up with a winning combination that could reason and ask those questions about itself.

 

 Also we already know we're not the only combination that works for life. Recently we've seen life here on earth that defies the rules of what can make up the right environment for life as we know it. Life as we know it isn't the only game in town anymore. So that in iteslf makes what we have here less exclusive or special. Undermining the " it's gotta be higher intellegence at work " argument.


Edited by jimmac - 12/29/12 at 1:44pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #83 of 200
Thread Starter 

The "why is it just right for us?" question is easily answered in a few ways.  First, it isn't just right for us.  We would likely die within minutes to hours if we were randomly placed anywhere on the Earth.  There are more inhospitable places on the Earth than there are places humans can naturally thrive.  If you expand that experiment out to the rest of the solar system, the odds are overwhelming that we'd die almost instantly if placed anywhere randomly.

 

Ok, ok, but if we limit it to hospital places on the Earth...

 

It's called the weak anthropic principle.  From wikipedia:

 

 

Quote:
 only in a universe capable of eventually supporting life will there be living beings capable of observing any such fine tuning, while a universe less compatible with life will go unbeheld. English writer Douglas Adams, who wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, used the metaphor of a living puddle examining its own shape, since, to those living creatures, the universe may appear to fit them perfectly (while in fact, they simply fit the universe perfectly).

The Earth doesn't fit us.  We fit the Earth.  

 

But what really undermines the "there has to be a higher intelligence at work" argument is that no higher intelligence is adequately defined and no scientific evidence is produced to support the hypothesis.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #84 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

The "why is it just right for us?" question is easily answered in a few ways.  First, it isn't just right for us.  We would likely die within minutes to hours if we were randomly placed anywhere on the Earth.  There are more inhospitable places on the Earth than there are places humans can naturally thrive.  If you expand that experiment out to the rest of the solar system, the odds are overwhelming that we'd die almost instantly if placed anywhere randomly.

 

Ok, ok, but if we limit it to hospital places on the Earth...

 

It's called the weak anthropic principle.  From wikipedia:

 

 

Quote:
 only in a universe capable of eventually supporting life will there be living beings capable of observing any such fine tuning, while a universe less compatible with life will go unbeheld. English writer Douglas Adams, who wrote The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, used the metaphor of a living puddle examining its own shape, since, to those living creatures, the universe may appear to fit them perfectly (while in fact, they simply fit the universe perfectly).

The Earth doesn't fit us.  We fit the Earth.  

 

But what really undermines the "there has to be a higher intelligence at work" argument is that no higher intelligence is adequately defined and no scientific evidence is produced to support the hypothesis.

Exactly. And from what we know now there are conditions that could be wildly different that could make a good fit for life.

 

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/universe/features/astrobiology_toxic_chemical.html

 

I'm always reminded of the line from  Jurassic Park  " Life finds a way ".


Edited by jimmac - 12/29/12 at 2:11pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #85 of 200
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Exactly.

But our "primary and deepest fallacy" is that we won't entertain MJ's childish wishes without evidence.  Asking for ewidence hoots his feewings.  

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #86 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Exactly.

But our "primary and deepest fallacy" is that we won't entertain MJ's childish wishes without evidence.  Asking for ewidence hoots his feewings.  

Yes evidence on the other side does seem to be the stumbling block.1biggrin.gif I mean MJ seems to enjoy a logical approach to other things but when it comes to items like this his tune seems different. I fully expect instead of a counter argument we'll get a very illogical attack as a reply now.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #87 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Exactly.

But our "primary and deepest fallacy" is that we won't entertain MJ's childish wishes without evidence.  Asking for ewidence hoots his feewings.  

Yes evidence on the other side does seem to be the stumbling block.1biggrin.gif I mean MJ seems to enjoy a logical approach to other things but when it comes to items like this his tune seems different. I fully expect instead of a counter argument we'll get a very illogical attack as a reply now.

Or no reply at all.1wink.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #88 of 200

http://news.msn.com/politics/update-rep-cantor-does-not-support-%e2%80%98fiscal-cliff%e2%80%99-bill

 

 

Quote:

Update: Rep. Cantor does not support ‘fiscal cliff’ bill

Good luck in your next election Mr. Cantor.1wink.gif

 

Maybe he can go back to Real Estate.1wink.gif


Edited by jimmac - 1/1/13 at 2:52pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #89 of 200

Eric Cantor and his cronies strike again!

 

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/02/16303519-obama-calls-on-congress-to-act-on-hurricane-sandy-relief?lite

 

 

Quote:

Obama calls on Congress to act on Hurricane Sandy relief

 

Quote:

The Senate passed this request with bipartisan support. But the House of Representatives has refused to act, even as there are families and communities who still need our help to rebuild in the months and years ahead, and who also still need immediate support with the bulk of winter still in front of us.

Also :

http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/02/16295303-bipartisan-outrage-after-house-skips-vote-on-60-billion-sandy-aid-bill?lite

 

Quote:

Bipartisan outrage after House skips vote on $60 billion Sandy aid bill

 

 

Quote:
They and others pleaded with the Republican leaders of the House to rethink the decision, but few were in the chamber to listen. House Speaker John Boehner of Ohio and Majority Leader Eric Cantor of Virginia are in charge of scheduling the House.

 

 

 

 

What a nice guy. However Mr. Cantor's political future should be interesting after stunts like this.1wink.gif


Edited by jimmac - 1/2/13 at 2:45pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #90 of 200

Finally!

 

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/02/16306284-house-to-vote-on-sandy-funding-friday-placating-outraged-lawmakers?lite

 

 

Quote:

House to vote on Sandy funding Friday, placating outraged lawmakers

 

Quote:

The move also came after New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie slammed Boehner and House Republicans earlier in the day.

"Shame on you. Shame on Congress," Christie said in a televised news conference from Trenton, N.J. He called Congress' delay "disgraceful."

"It is why the American people hate Congress," Christie said, adding, "Unlike people in Congress, we have actual responsibilities."

 

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #91 of 200

In all your frothing at the mouth, have you bothered to notice the proposed bill is a pile of pork-laden shit?

 

 

 

 

Quote:

•$2 million to repair damage to the roofs of museums in Washington, D.C., while many in Hurricane Sandy’s path still have no roof over their own heads.

•$150 million for fisheries as far away from the storm’s path as Alaska.

•$125 million for the Department of Agriculture’s Emergency Watershed Protection program, which helps restore watersheds damaged by wildfires and drought.

•$20 million for a nationwide Water Resources Priorities Study.

•$15 million for NASA facilities, though NASA itself has called its damage from the hurricane ‘minimal.’

•$50 million in subsidies for tree planting on private properties.

•$336 million for taxpayer-supported AMTRAK without any detailed plan for how the money will be spent.

•$5.3 billion for the Army Corps of Engineers – more than the Corps’ annual budget – with no statement of priorities about how to spend the money.

•$12.9 billion for future disaster mitigation activities and studies, without identifying a single way to pay for it.

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #92 of 200
Thread Starter 

Figures you'd dislike the prevention aspects of the bill and list it as pork.  Oh wait, that wasn't your list.  That's the same list I've seen all the right wingers bring up in their echo chamber all day.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #93 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Figures you'd dislike the prevention aspects of the bill and list it as pork.  Oh wait, that wasn't your list.  That's the same list I've seen all the right wingers bring up in their echo chamber all day.

 

Probably because it's a good list. Perhaps you could take a minute and outline the "prevention aspects" of the spending listed. My favourite is:

 

"•$336 million for taxpayer-supported AMTRAK without any detailed plan for how the money will be spent."

 

Please justify why liberals believe it's acceptable to spend public money like that.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
post #94 of 200
Thread Starter 

I don't deny there's pork.  I wish there weren't.  However, the future disaster mitigation activities and studies does not belong on such a list.  Remove that and the pork makes up a much, much smaller percentage of the proposed spending.  Frankly, though, with the Republican obstructionism we've experienced over the last four years, I completely understand why those on both sides want to sneak things into bills because so few things actually get passed these days.

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #95 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

I don't deny there's pork.  I wish there weren't.  However, the future disaster mitigation activities and studies does not belong on such a list.  Remove that and the pork makes up a much, much smaller percentage of the proposed spending.  Frankly, though, with the Republican obstructionism we've experienced over the last four years, I completely understand why those on both sides want to sneak things into bills because so few things actually get passed these days.

 

It's supposed be a storm relief bill.  Future mitigation should not be part of that, period.  The Army Corps of Engineers receiving more than their annual budget should not be part of that.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #96 of 200
Thread Starter 

Yeah.  Why spend some money now when we can spend many times that much later?  GREAT IDEA!

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply

 

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
Reply
post #97 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yeah.  Why spend some money now when we can spend many times that much later?  GREAT IDEA!

Naw! We wouldn't want to look at that!1wink.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #98 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yeah.  Why spend some money now when we can spend many times that much later?  GREAT IDEA!

 

I'm not opposed to the money for mitigation, genius.  I'm opposed to including it this bill.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Naw! We wouldn't want to look at that!1wink.gif

 

Yeah, and while we're at it, we should just ignore how we pay for this.  Why start worrying about that now?  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #99 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Yeah.  Why spend some money now when we can spend many times that much later?  GREAT IDEA!

 

I'm not opposed to the money for mitigation, genius.  I'm opposed to including it this bill.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Naw! We wouldn't want to look at that!1wink.gif

 

Yeah, and while we're at it, we should just ignore how we pay for this.  Why start worrying about that now?  

Isn't getting the bill passed right now so these people can get some help more important?1eek.gif

 

Maybe there is pork but you have to look at what's needed right now. And it's not like the money will go to unnecessary things or be wasteful. How Republicans can stand by and let those poor people suffer is beyond me. I'm with Chris Christie on this.

 

This is a prime example of what's wrong with the GOP now days. Can you say Dysfunctional?  And unfortunately for them the voters have started to notice.

 

And by the way the internal strife between reasonable Republicans and the extremists is starting to hit the fan. Face it. The Tea party isn't going to survive in today's world. The GOP has to be more centrist. Either that or in the end they'll lose their support. And SDW it's not like I didn't warn you these days were coming.

 

http://news.msn.com/politics/gop-seems-as-divided-angry-as-ever

 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/chris-christie-sandy_n_2396537.html

 

The voters elect these people so they can run the government responsibly. When people need help they don't need for extreme factions to settle their agenda first. If they can't work for the voters the voters will vote them out next time. The fact that they can't see this won't stop the boot.  I'm guessing you're going to see a very different House next time.1wink.gif


Edited by jimmac - 1/5/13 at 3:33pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #100 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Isn't getting the bill passed right now so these people can get some help more important?1eek.gif

Maybe there is pork but you have to look at what's needed right now. And it's not like the money will go to unnecessary things or be wasteful. How Republicans can stand by and let those poor people suffer is beyond me. I'm with Chris Christie on this.

This is a prime example of what's wrong with the GOP now days. Can you say Dysfunctional?  And unfortunately for them the voters have started to notice.

And by the way the internal strife between reasonable Republicans and the extremists is starting to hit the fan. Face it. The Tea party isn't going to survive in today's world. The GOP has to be more centrist. Either that or in the end they'll lose their support. And SDW it's not like I didn't warn you these days were coming.

http://news.msn.com/politics/gop-seems-as-divided-angry-as-ever

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/chris-christie-sandy_n_2396537.html

The voters elect these people so they can run the government responsibly. When people need help they don't need for extreme factions to settle their agenda first. If they can't work for the voters the voters will vote them out next time. The fact that they can't see this won't stop the boot.  I'm guessing you're going to see a very different House next time.1wink.gif

LOL. So because the money is needed now, it doesn't matter if it's loaded with pork. Oh, and don't worry guys, it won't be wasted or anything. I mean, it's government we're talking about!
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #101 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Isn't getting the bill passed right now so these people can get some help more important?1eek.gif

Maybe there is pork but you have to look at what's needed right now. And it's not like the money will go to unnecessary things or be wasteful. How Republicans can stand by and let those poor people suffer is beyond me. I'm with Chris Christie on this.

This is a prime example of what's wrong with the GOP now days. Can you say Dysfunctional?  And unfortunately for them the voters have started to notice.

And by the way the internal strife between reasonable Republicans and the extremists is starting to hit the fan. Face it. The Tea party isn't going to survive in today's world. The GOP has to be more centrist. Either that or in the end they'll lose their support. And SDW it's not like I didn't warn you these days were coming.

http://news.msn.com/politics/gop-seems-as-divided-angry-as-ever

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/02/chris-christie-sandy_n_2396537.html

The voters elect these people so they can run the government responsibly. When people need help they don't need for extreme factions to settle their agenda first. If they can't work for the voters the voters will vote them out next time. The fact that they can't see this won't stop the boot.  I'm guessing you're going to see a very different House next time.1wink.gif

LOL. So because the money is needed now, it doesn't matter if it's loaded with pork. Oh, and don't worry guys, it won't be wasted or anything. I mean, it's government we're talking about!

As I've already said if it was some items that were totally wasteful that would be different. Your lack of compassion is deplorable. And you're laughing about this matter?1eek.gif

 

It's clear from your comments SDW that you don't see these as real issues but more like game moves on a board. So much for the arm chair decision maker. There are real people out there suffering SDW!

 

You've provided an example of what I've been talking about with the conservative mind set now days. They simply care more about their agenda than the reality of the voters they serve. To their eventual removal from office.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #102 of 200

Lastly SDW I hope that someday you'll see what you clearly don't understand now. It really must be disconcerting to see change and not understand that it started a long time ago or understand why it must change.

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #103 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

As I've already said if it was some items that were totally wasteful that would be different. 

 

Are you claiming there aren't wasteful items and pork in the Sandy bill?  Are you kidding?  

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Your lack of compassion is deplorable. And you're laughing about this matter?1eek.gif

 

Typical Democrat.  When you don't have an argument, paint your opponent as a cold-hearted bastard.  

 

 

Quote:
It's clear from your comments SDW that you don't see these as real issues but more like game moves on a board. So much for the arm chair decision maker. There are real people out there suffering SDW!

 

Now that is deplorable.  Your baseless accusation is deplorable.  As is your exploitation of storm victims for political gain.  

 

 

 

 

Quote:
You've provided an example of what I've been talking about with the conservative mind set now days. They simply care more about their agenda than the reality of the voters they serve. To their eventual removal from office.

 

I see.  So the GOP took issue with a $60B bill because they "care about their own agenda."  It had nothing to do with bullshit expenditures.  Got it.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Lastly SDW I hope that someday you'll see what you clearly don't understand now. It really must be disconcerting to see change and not understand that it started a long time ago or understand why it must change.

 

If you'd stop doing victory laps, you'd realize that the nation is screwed.  And it's only going to get worse.  So by all means, keep wearing that blue jersey and shouting about how much the GOP is out of touch.  Meanwhile, we're all going to hell...and faster than ever. 

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #104 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

As I've already said if it was some items that were totally wasteful that would be different. 

 

Are you claiming there aren't wasteful items and pork in the Sandy bill?  Are you kidding?  

 

 

 

 

Quote:
Your lack of compassion is deplorable. And you're laughing about this matter?1eek.gif

 

Typical Democrat.  When you don't have an argument, paint your opponent as a cold-hearted bastard.  

 

 

Quote:
It's clear from your comments SDW that you don't see these as real issues but more like game moves on a board. So much for the arm chair decision maker. There are real people out there suffering SDW!

 

Now that is deplorable.  Your baseless accusation is deplorable.  As is your exploitation of storm victims for political gain.  

 

 

 

 

Quote:
You've provided an example of what I've been talking about with the conservative mind set now days. They simply care more about their agenda than the reality of the voters they serve. To their eventual removal from office.

 

I see.  So the GOP took issue with a $60B bill because they "care about their own agenda."  It had nothing to do with bullshit expenditures.  Got it.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Lastly SDW I hope that someday you'll see what you clearly don't understand now. It really must be disconcerting to see change and not understand that it started a long time ago or understand why it must change.

 

If you'd stop doing victory laps, you'd realize that the nation is screwed.  And it's only going to get worse.  So by all means, keep wearing that blue jersey and shouting about how much the GOP is out of touch.  Meanwhile, we're all going to hell...and faster than ever. 

As usual you're moving your mouth a lot but not much truth comes out of it. The nation isn't screwed and it's not the end of the world because Obama won again. Man I really got tired of that stupidity back in 08'.lol.gif

 

We''ll get to the end of this second term where you'll have conveniently forgot your comments in 2013.1wink.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #105 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

As usual you're moving your mouth a lot but not much truth comes out of it. The nation isn't screwed and it's not the end of the world because Obama won again. Man I really got tired of that stupidity back in 08'.lol.gif

 

We''ll get to the end of this second term where you'll have conveniently forgot your comments in 2013.1wink.gif

 

We are screwed, and it's not just because Obama won.  All that will do is make the train go a little faster.  If Romney had won and the GOP took the Senate, the train might have stopped or slowed, but it wouldn't have changed tracks.  

 

What you fail to see is that no one is proposing real solutions.  Even "radical" proposals like the Ryan plan are milk toast compared to what needs to happen.  We need massive spending cuts across the board, total tax and entitlement reform, and a vast reduction of the size and scope of the federal government.  No one is proposing anything like this.  

 

Honestly, I feel more strongly than ever...the entire process is a joke.  Both parities are corrupt and incompetent.  It's all just a a grotesque reality show covered by the sycophant media.  "Well Bob, I think the Blue Team really showed 'em on that one!"   "I don't know, Jim...I think the Red Team really has a shot to come back in the fourth quarter!"   It's bullshit.  All of it.   

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #106 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

We are screwed, and it's not just because Obama won.  All that will do is make the train go a little faster.  If Romney had won and the GOP took the Senate, the train might have stopped or slowed, but it wouldn't have changed tracks.  

What you fail to see is that no one is proposing real solutions.  Even "radical" proposals like the Ryan plan are milk toast compared to what needs to happen.  We need massive spending cuts across the board, total tax and entitlement reform, and a vast reduction of the size and scope of the federal government.  No one is proposing anything like this.  

Honestly, I feel more strongly than ever...the entire process is a joke.  Both parities are corrupt and incompetent.  It's all just a a grotesque reality show covered by the sycophant media.  "Well Bob, I think the Blue Team really showed 'em on that one!"   "I don't know, Jim...I think the Red Team really has a shot to come back in the fourth quarter!"   It's bullshit.  All of it.   

It does my heart good to see that you are waking up to the reality of American politics. If more of us are awake, there might be hope for us yet.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Reply
post #107 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post


It does my heart good to see that you are waking up to the reality of American politics. If more of us are awake, there might be hope for us yet.

 

I've felt this way for a while I think...it's just crystalizing now.  Perhaps it's last year's election being over.  I liked Romney and think he would have been a good President.  I also think Obama is a disaster.  These two facts caused me to get very invested in the process.  I think that this clouded my perspective a bit, particularly on the Congressional side.  Since the "fiscal cliff" negotiations got moving after the election, I find it hard not to yell "this is bullshit!" whenever I see ANY Congressional leader speaking in public on almost any issue.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
Reply
post #108 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post


It does my heart good to see that you are waking up to the reality of American politics. If more of us are awake, there might be hope for us yet.

 

I've felt this way for a while I think...it's just crystalizing now.  Perhaps it's last year's election being over.  I liked Romney and think he would have been a good President.  I also think Obama is a disaster.  These two facts caused me to get very invested in the process.  I think that this clouded my perspective a bit, particularly on the Congressional side.  Since the "fiscal cliff" negotiations got moving after the election, I find it hard not to yell "this is bullshit!" whenever I see ANY Congressional leader speaking in public on almost any issue.  

 

Quote:

 I liked Romney and think he would have been a good President. I also think Obama is a disaster. These two facts caused me to get very invested in the process

These two Opinionslol.gif

 

God! When will you learn?1wink.gif

 

And hey every time I see Republican obstructionism I yell " This is bullshit! ".1wink.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #109 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

As usual you're moving your mouth a lot but not much truth comes out of it. The nation isn't screwed and it's not the end of the world because Obama won again. Man I really got tired of that stupidity back in 08'.lol.gif

 

We''ll get to the end of this second term where you'll have conveniently forgot your comments in 2013.1wink.gif

 

We are screwed, and it's not just because Obama won.  All that will do is make the train go a little faster.  If Romney had won and the GOP took the Senate, the train might have stopped or slowed, but it wouldn't have changed tracks.  

 

What you fail to see is that no one is proposing real solutions.  Even "radical" proposals like the Ryan plan are milk toast compared to what needs to happen.  We need massive spending cuts across the board, total tax and entitlement reform, and a vast reduction of the size and scope of the federal government.  No one is proposing anything like this.  

 

Honestly, I feel more strongly than ever...the entire process is a joke.  Both parities are corrupt and incompetent.  It's all just a a grotesque reality show covered by the sycophant media.  "Well Bob, I think the Blue Team really showed 'em on that one!"   "I don't know, Jim...I think the Red Team really has a shot to come back in the fourth quarter!"   It's bullshit.  All of it.   

I'm sure you'll be saying this as long as you feel you can get away with it. When it becomes clear to all that's just not the case you'll conveniently forget you said so.1wink.gif

 

I will tell you what's going to happen. The GOP has to reform. They're starting to get that now but they're still making the same mistakes.

http://nbclatino.com/2013/02/01/analysis-rebranding-the-republican-party-sans-limbaugh/

 

And make no mistake it's not just Limbaugh that has to go.

 

 

In order to reconnect to the voters they'll get it in the end. They have to you see. There's no telling how long that will take however.


Edited by jimmac - 2/1/13 at 5:47pm
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #110 of 200

In today's news :

 

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/14/16965107-senate-gop-stalls-hagel-nomination-by-waging-filibuster?lite

 

 

Quote:

Senate GOP stalls Hagel nomination by waging filibuster

Gee what a surprise!1rolleyes.gif

 

Your Republican government at work ( as if ).

 

Nah! the Republicans donn't obstruct anything that wasn't their idea. Nah!1smoking.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #111 of 200

And the coming sequester, which the GOP has tried sooooo hard to pin on Obama, well, not so fast:

 

 http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/02/20/the-powerpoint-that-proves-it-s-not-obama-s-sequester-after-all.html

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #112 of 200

The Republicans are a party of NO! That is there logic.
 

post #113 of 200

Well here's hoping those Republican crongressmen wake up!

 

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/02/21/17043492-first-thoughts-gops-weak-position-on-the-sequester?lite

 

 

Quote:

First Thoughts: GOP's weak position on the sequester

 

Quote:

Yesterday we asked this question about the political back-and-forth regarding the looming automatic budget cuts that are set to take place on March 1: What if the sky doesn’t fall? But here’s the opposite question: What if it does? And if that’s the case, Republicans stand to pay the steepest political price.

How close do you think they'll let it get before they do the right thing for the country?

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #114 of 200
When have they ever done the right thing for the country? Especially after Obama took office. I couldn't name one thing the Repubs have done except obstruct.

Now, look around the world. Look at all the places where "austerity" has been pushed. All those places are the places that are failing or not recovering. Now look at Iceland. Iceland rejected austerity, and is well on the way to recovery.
post #115 of 200

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

Reply
post #116 of 200
What's the point of your graph except to point out that the Republicans are making a mountain out of a very very important molehill? Pass the fucking budget and save jobs, and save the progress were making toward recovery. Don't obstruct for what amounts to next to nothing.
post #117 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What's the point of your graph except to point out that the Republicans are making a mountain out of a very very important molehill? Pass the fucking budget and save jobs, and save the progress were making toward recovery. Don't obstruct for what amounts to next to nothing.

Exacttly! And I realize they're not concerned with doing the right thing. I'm just hoping that the possible loss of future votes ( or Congressmen's jobs ) might possibly be a motivating factor. 

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #118 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Exacttly! And I realize they're not concerned with doing the right thing. I'm just hoping that the possible loss of future votes ( or Congressmen's jobs ) might possibly be a motivating factor. 

 

 

 

Can always hope that the voters would be so smart...

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply

 

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

 

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

 

 

Reply
post #119 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmac View Post

Exacttly! And I realize they're not concerned with doing the right thing. I'm just hoping that the possible loss of future votes ( or Congressmen's jobs ) might possibly be a motivating factor. 

 

 

 

Can always hope that the voters would be so smart...

Looking at the recent polls I'd be kind of concerned if I were a Republican congressman that pratices the policy of " No ".1wink.gif

Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
Without the need for difference or a need to always follow the herd breeds complacency, mediocrity, and a lack of imagination
Reply
post #120 of 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

What's the point of your graph except to point out that the Republicans are making a mountain out of a very very important molehill? Pass the fucking budget and save jobs, and save the progress were making toward recovery. Don't obstruct for what amounts to next to nothing.

 

Back here on planet Earth, the graph shows that Obama is the one making the mountain out of a molehill. He got his tax increases in exchange for future spending cuts, and now refuses to countenance even the slightest cuts to the federal budget.

 

You can blame GOP 'obstructionism' all you like. When this blows up - and it inevitably will - threads like these will stand out as a reminder that there were people calling for fiscal sanity that went unheeded for the better part of a decade.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Republican obstructionism has now officially jumped the shark