or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Republicans: It's the government's fault, no matter what.

Republicans: It's the government's fault, no matter what.

post #1 of 3
The Republican Party has become the anti-government party for the most part. They want to shut down FEMA, oppose government involvement in regulating communities and imposing building regulations, oppose government spending on preventative infrastructure as wasteful, oppose any and all government countermeasures against the global warming threat...

Until they become the Victims.

Now it's the government's fault that they didn't spend enough money building sea walls. And my favorite... it's the government's fault that they allowed property owners to build on their own property.

Read on:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/12/06/staten-island-hurricane-sandy_n_2245523.html

A great (and lengthy) article on reality.
Quote:
In any case, Peters places the lion's share of the blame on the city government, not the builders. By allowing developers to do more or less as they pleased, he said, the city had basically behaved like an "absentee landlord."

Wow. Now it's the government's fault that they allowed people to build. How convenient.

This tickled me:
Quote:
Correa's arms were so cold that it took all of his effort to swim. Making matters worse, about 20 pounds of firearms were hanging from a satchel around his neck. In his rush to get out of the house, Correa had grabbed them from his safe so that they wouldn't wash up on a nearby street where anyone could find them.

Haha, so his guns nearly killed him. How ironic, in so many ways.
post #2 of 3

Regulation is bad unless the lack of regulation hurts me.  Government is bad unless the lack of government hurts me.

It's the inverse of the usual Republican "**** you, I've got mine" attitude.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The Republican Party has become the anti-government party for the most part. They want to shut down FEMA, oppose government involvement in regulating communities and imposing building regulations, oppose government spending on preventative infrastructure as wasteful, oppose any and all government countermeasures against the global warming threat...
Until they become the Victims.
Now it's the government's fault that they didn't spend enough money building sea walls. And my favorite... it's the government's fault that they allowed property owners to build on their own property.
Read on:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/12/06/staten-island-hurricane-sandy_n_2245523.html
A great (and lengthy) article on reality.
Wow. Now it's the government's fault that they allowed people to build. How convenient.
This tickled me:
Haha, so his guns nearly killed him. How ironic, in so many ways.

Nothing but a Huffpo hit piece on the GOP, and one rife with logical flaws.  The entire premise is that the Republican party stopped the government from "helping" communities.  But nothing would have stopped the destruction we now see on the shore.  No amount of "help" would have stopped Sandy in her tracks.  

Moreover, your little anti-GOP screed is simply inaccurate and itself is rife with false assumptions.  I don't know many Republicans who oppose local building codes, nor oppose government spending on infrastructure.  As for global warming, most oppose "countermeasures" because 1) there is insufficient evidence that the threat is real, 2) There is even less evidence that these measures will be effective, 3) The measures proposed thus far have significant economy consequences. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Regulation is bad unless the lack of regulation hurts me.  Government is bad unless the lack of government hurts me.

It's the inverse of the usual Republican "**** you, I've got mine" attitude.

Are you just having fun with your naked partisanship, or do you honestly believe that?  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Republicans: It's the government's fault, no matter what.