or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Full-fledged television considered 'more in tune' with Apple than simple set-top box
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Full-fledged television considered 'more in tune' with Apple than simple set-top box - Page 4

post #121 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxman View Post

An Apple branded TV makes a lot of sense to me - but Apple likes to disrupt and a new set doesn't disrupt anything. A new Apple television set will come when the content side is work out. Hardware / content / user experience - when those element are all under Apple's control, it will be announced. I suspect that the HW and SW is waiting in the wings as we speak. And I totally agree with the headline - a set is 'more in tune' with Apple than a set-top box, no matter how much most people on AI rationalise otherwise.

Can't embed this on iPad. God, I hate this forum software.

http://images.wikia.com/xorviel/images/d/d0/Orson_Welles_Citizen_Kane_clapping_.gif
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #122 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Apple would never be stupid enough to go down the route of forcing people to buy a television in order to get their solution. But I do see them offering two solutions. One would be something like the current ATV, the other would be a fully integrated television set. Whatever they do I don't see them coming out with anything until they can really do something different.

Yeah, I expect them to continue to sell the little box, but it will never get an App Store, like the TV.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #123 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post


Please tell me why I would purchase a $2,000 product that does the exact same thing as a $99 product, and I don't have to dispose of my old television with the latter.

1. It'll start at less than $2,000.
2. If they have a contract setup, it could cost more like $499.
3 The box won't have an App Store.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #124 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How have people used digiboxes since the 1980s if they are too confusing to use?

That's the worst argument I've ever heard.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #125 of 191
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
2. If they have a contract setup, it could cost more like $499.
3 The box won't have an App Store.

 

A TV on contract is a worse future than the present.

A TV couldn't use an App Store.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 12/7/12 at 5:05pm
post #126 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Pros: Apple's TV would be simpler than most set-top boxes and their ridiculously busy remotes.
Cons: You'll want to buy a new TV very year, once the upgrade treadmill begins.

I love that phrase, "the upgrade treadmill". Classic! I'm stealing that.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #127 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 
Time will tell.

Time will tell will be written on your gravestone you say it so much.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #128 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Boy that Siri implementation expectation is persistent.
Worst possible idea... Shrug..

Haha, totally. I'd vote your comment up but this forum doesn't work right on a iPad. Worst forum redesign in history? Possibly.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #129 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

yep, they sure have, for about 5 years now they keep showing the same minimalist TV behind their product on their own website.
AI, don't you get it?  It's not going to look like the Thunderbolt display, it's not going to look like the iMac.  It probably won't look like that thing on the Apple TV website either.  However, that image has darken the Webiste for at least 5 years now.  So they must have some idea what Apple thinks their TV should look like.





Both are Pioneer panels.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #130 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 
I maintain that the iPad mini was a terrible idea.

Very few people, who aren't Android fanboys, will agree with that statement. When you've lots of well known a Apple bloggers saying this is the better iPad form factor, you should pay attention. MG, Gruber, the lot of them prefer the mini. Tim Cook said one of Steve's gifts was his ability to change his mind. I think you should rethink your view on this. Do I expect you to? No. But you may surprise me.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #131 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Sad fact is there's nothing sexy about a $100 set top box. Unles Apple comes up with something so mind blowing it will be a collective ho-hum from the market. I'd love a TV solution where the only cord I have is a power cord for the TV. And no other clutter. Someone please invent that.

Me too, buddy. Me too. It's bad out there. Apple, save us.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #132 of 191
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
I'd vote your comment up but this forum doesn't work right on a iPad. Worst forum redesign in history? Possibly.

 

Eh? Use the mobile site.

 

1000


Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
When you've lots of well known a Apple bloggers saying this is the better iPad form factor, you should pay attention.
 

Why? Who cares what they think?

 

Tim Cook said one of Steve's gifts was his ability to change his mind. I think you should rethink your view on this. Do I expect you to? No. But you may surprise me.

 

I still see no purpose served better by a smaller tablet that can't go in a pocket. I'll change my mind when it has a reason for existing.

post #133 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil 
I still see no purpose served better by a smaller tablet that can't go in a pocket. I'll change my mind when it has a reason for existing.

My girlfriend likes the iPad, but finds it slightly too large and decidedly too heavy. "I wish Apple made a smaller iPad", she says, one day. Now she owns an iPad mini. Are you getting it, yet?
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #134 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you switch to the mobile site?
Yes, I concur, the mobile site sucks ass.
If you really want to know why, pm me.
Who ever designed it probably got their web designer training from a crackerjack box.
post #135 of 191
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
Yes, I concur, the mobile site sucks ass.

 

You're disagreeing with me.


If you really want to know why, pm me.

 

Why not just provide feedback… 

post #136 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I still see no purpose served better by a smaller tablet that can't go in a pocket. I'll change my mind when it has a reason for existing.

To say that the iPad Mini has no reason for existing is to say that the iPad has no reason for existing.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #137 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

To say that the iPad Mini has no reason for existing is to say that the iPad has no reason for existing.

It really doesn't.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #138 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

3 The box won't have an App Store.
Why do you keep saying this? I can't imagine anything further from reality. Apple is selling its ecosystem. The box would be offered specifically for mostly non-Apple customers who want their TV solution. What better way to introduce them to their ecosystem? It's like putting iTunes on Windows. apple could care less if you buy their TV, they want you to buy their services -- that's the whole reason the iPad mini exists.
post #139 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Why do you keep saying this? I can't imagine anything further from reality. Apple is selling its ecosystem. The box would be offered specifically for mostly non-Apple customers who want their TV solution. What better way to introduce them to their ecosystem? It's like putting iTunes on Windows. apple could care less if you buy their TV, they want you to buy their services -- that's the whole reason the iPad mini exists.

Why doesn't it have it now?
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #140 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Nothing you've stated makes any sense unless you want to describe how Siri on my iPhone or iPad is completely pointless when I'm around other people, using the phone, or watching TV whilst using my iPhone or iPad.
And I'm saying it is. Reread my post, it applies to all iOS devices.
post #141 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


It really doesn't.


Well, there is that, but, using that logic we'd have to add a helluva lot of items to that list that don't involve water and food.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #142 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're disagreeing with me.

Why not just provide feedback… 
I was agreeing with the quote in your post.
Oh, I'd love to provide feedback, just show me how to navigate out of the forums section via that rip-off chrome button. Apparently, it puts you in an endless loop back to forums.appleinsider.com. Without having to type he main URL mind you.
post #143 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Both are Pioneer panels.
It the same tv in both photos. So you're telling me apple has been paying royalties to Pioneer for 5 years? to post a photo of one of their TVs on Apples website? Why would apple do that?
post #144 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it's the only method for input, sure, that's a horrible idea, same as if an iPhone that only had Siri for input is a horrible idea, but there are things Siri can do faster then we can do with our fingers on a touchscreen, keyboard or remote control.
For your phone:
"Remind me to pick up the dry cleaning when I leave work."
For your TV:
"Record tonight's Rock Center on NBC."
"Record all new episodes of Last Resort."
"Record everything with Jack Nicholson."
Gotcha. If she can hear what you're saying, it'll be swell for those tasks.
"- SILENT EVERYONE, I'm gonna talk to the TV!"
For manoeuvring the tv for content, volume etc something fool proof is needed that can be controlled when sofa is full of chattering people. I think (hope?) "cracked the code for building a TV" is something else than Siri integration.
Plus, bringing Siri to all languages of the world is too huge a task. World leading languages like English and German will be prioritised and work better than small languages like I dunno... Dutch? Belgian? Swedish? Czech?
post #145 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Gotcha. If she can hear what you're saying, it'll be swell for those tasks.
"- SILENT EVERYONE, I'm gonna talk to the TV!"
For manoeuvring the tv for content, volume etc something fool proof is needed that can be controlled when sofa is full of chattering people. I think (hope?) "cracked the code for building a TV" is something else than Siri integration.
Plus, bringing Siri to all languages of the world is too huge a task. World leading languages like English and German will be prioritised and work better than small languages like I dunno... Dutch? Belgian? Swedish? Czech?

When I use Siri on my phone anything that is playing is paused. I could see that happening with the Apple TV audio out or just reducing the sound to a level that won't affect Siri. I certainly use Siri around other people talking and other loud noises and it does fine.

I wouldn't expect the mic to be in the Apple TV device, but in the remote control itself or in the iDevice if that is what you are using to interface with your TV. What Siri as an extra way to dictate a simple sentence that would result in a complex left, right, up, down, and enter button selection on a remote is really child's play compared to what we've gotten from it so far on the iPhone.

As for languages, this is something that will take a lot of time to work out for all speech-to-text systems. It's not just languages either, but dialects, regional phraseology, speech impediments, etc. What Siri as an extra way to dictate a simple sentence that would result in a complex left, right, up, down, and enter button selection on a remote is really child's play compared to what we've gotten from it so far on the iPhone.

I think the bigger hurdle is not that a device in your hand can't pick up what you are saying when you speak into it but for FaceTime on a TV that can tell where the faces are and zoom/center on those faces for the receiver when that person is talking.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #146 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

And I'm saying it is. Reread my post, it applies to all iOS devices.

I use Siri whilst watching TV and it's fine. I use Siri at night and it's fine. You've created straw man arguments to say that Siri can't be useful. Just because you don't use Siri doesn't mean Siri isn't useful.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #147 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

2 remotes.

Apple is a one (zero) button shop.   For those people (and you may not be one of them), it it requires two remotes (my former wife was one of them), she would get frustrated.  Yes, College educated, 3 college educated children, but I had buy her 'content on demand), because it wasn't an 'up channel/down channel/volume' operation on the STB.

And I don't think an Apple TV will be $2000 dollars.  My guess is $499/699/999  (37 45 50 inch diags).   Remember the Apple TV will be 
TV glass
Cable in
Audio Out (SPDIF only)
Ethernet/Wireless
AppleTV guts with additional smarts to handle OTA and Cable Signals
USB (for diagnostics)
Power Cord
Apple Remote.
Less ports than any $300 TV (no PC in, no COMP in, no SVid, No VGA, no VGA no 4 HDMIs in).  (VCR/DVD inputs  HA!  This is Apple!!!!)

Plug it in. Plug in Cable and Ethernet (or assume 802.11n wireless),  Press Menu on the Remote.  Starts. displays last content.  if in TV mode, left/right are channels, up down volume.  Play/Pause to... Play or Pause (or select if in a menu) . Press Menu again to select a different mode.

That's it.

So I could not use an Apple TV with my Home Cinema amp that requires just one HDMI on the TV?
post #148 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A TV couldn't use an App Store.

I'm not taking a position either for or against this rumor, but your statement is just plain wrong.

What if Apple introduced a full television which had the internals of an Apple TV inside? It would be able to run iOS and you could connect to the App Store and buy and use apps. It's not difficult at all to imagine things outside of what they've done in the past.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #149 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


I'm not taking a position either for or against this rumor, but your statement is just plain wrong.
What if Apple introduced a full television which had the internals of an Apple TV inside? It would be able to run iOS and you could connect to the App Store and buy and use apps. It's not difficult at all to imagine things outside of what they've done in the past.

FWIW there's already HDTV's running competitors OS's (Lenovo using Android is one example) and offering mobile apps optimized for HDTV. It's not a unique idea.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #150 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post


Why do you keep saying [the box won't have an app store]? I can't imagine anything further from reality. Apple is selling its ecosystem. The box would be offered specifically for mostly non-Apple customers who want their TV solution. What better way to introduce them to their ecosystem? It's like putting iTunes on Windows. apple could care less if you buy their TV, they want you to buy their services -- that's the whole reason the iPad mini exists.

 

Actually, a better analogy might be that it's like the Mac Mini. If Apple get;s seriously into the TV game, and offers an Apple TV that is an actual TV and a box like the current Apple TV, there's really no reason to expect that the functionality offered would be different on the two. Just like the functionality on the iMac and Mac Mini are the same, it's reasonable to expect that so would similar variations on Apple TV be.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Why doesn't it have it now?

 

Not really an argument.


Edited by anonymouse - 12/8/12 at 8:23am
post #151 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Everyone's whining about hardware, no one's talking about content. 


It's just the same old frigging TV box unless there's a service designed specifically for it.

I have to agree. It's not the hardware that is the issue, its the content -- quality, timing, pricing etc. if Apple wants to change this world it will have to change things like HBO holding content for a year after the season ends, the crazy pricing, lack of subtitles and alt audio, iTunes Extras not working on devices, seasons missing on shows and so on.

A package of those changes combined with a new STB with more room for streaming, more direct subscription option apps for sports (and not geo restricted) AND a new display that is not just TV but 3D capable (even if just for passive non live feed 3D) as well as working with your computers would be awesome but just the first or first two would majorly change TV. And the place of the TV set no matter who makes it.

I think Apple is moving to redefine the television from THE entertainment hub to just another piece of the game, just like their Post PC movement getting folks away from the desk. I think Apple wants the ebb and flow of games, movies etc to move around from TV to device to computer etc. to do things like have social apps on your iPad and be able to Facebook while you watch if you so desire, or learn more during that Discovery show etc. imagine watching some History Channel show and you hear something you want to remember and you can 'bookmark' it in a companion ipad app while watching. Perhaps even add notes, see links to more info or go back and watch that bit again later on your computer via their website or such. THAT, I think is ultimate goal with everything. No divisions, everything flows in and out from thing to thing.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #152 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

The only way that Apple is coming out with an actual "TV set" (and by the way, they're not), is if it is simply the next iteration (or replacement) of the iMac.

Wrong line up. It would be the next Cinema Display, not iMac. And the only 'Apple TV' part included would be perhaps being able to Airplay without needing the ATV box. Otherwise you pair it will your ATV box, blu-ray etc.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #153 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonshf View Post

In my view, the main point of a "whole" TV would be to be able to offer a simple user interface with a small and simple remote instead of the multiple remotes and configurations that people are still tolerating.

They don't need to build a full TV for that. Your choice of screens, the box and an iOS device can do all that in spades

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #154 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post


At the very least, I would hope that Apple goes beyond this crappy 1980's idea that to get decent sound quality you have to have a separate amplifier, 5 speakers cluttering up your living room and all the associated tangle of wires leading from each to each.  

AirPlay gets rid of the wires. Apple might even be smart enough to put dual speakers in their revamped Cinema Display with some fancy software system in the Display, set box whatever that detects additional speakers and distributes channels appropriately whether wired or AP. So rather than superseding my built in 2.0 sound when I attach a 2.1 set up, I end up with a 4.1 system. Make those 'stupid, stuck in the 80s' types thrilled. Especially if the content off the store has the audio channels to support such things (and at the prices some items have it should have tracks for it along with the standard 2.0, alt language etc)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #155 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Here are the three choices Apple can make. They can do any one or combination.
1. Set top box a la the existing Apple TV, but with more capabilities. Maybe two different models. Adding DVR capabilities, etc. They may just keep the existing architecture with slight modifications for a specific market.

This is the only one that is remotely close to Apple Style as the others put too much control in other parties hands or are basically a computer.

But there would be no DVR. The store is your DVR. Up the quality, improve pricing and shorten the wait. Imagine, for example, being able to buy a season pass for a show at $20, stream it in 720p at the same time as local OTA airing and then starting the next day you can stream or download at up to 1080p just as you can now. That is plenty for most folks. There could even perhaps be the ability to auto create a reminder when there's a new episode airing that night.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #156 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Obviously they would have to use iOS software on the Apple version of the TV but the but the physical Loewe designs are nice.   Loewe designs are right in line with existing Apple product designs.  The Loewe audio designs don't look shabby  either.

 

http://www.loewe.tv/int  

 

 

 

 

Time will tell.

 

You keep calling these "designs."  My point is that this is just "styling" and not a design at all.  

 

How are these products any different at all from any TV you can get at any department store other than the slick styling?  They aren't. 

 

My contention is that if Apple enters the TV market and all they have to offer is some "cool styling," then they not only aren't really doing anything at all, it's probably an indication that Apple is now "over" and has become Sony.  An Apple TV has to be more than just a new cool remote that uses Siri (really unlikely IMO but everyone keeps saying it).  

post #157 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Imagine if Apple only had the shows the day after they aired and at a cost per episode. .

If that was at a good quality, low price, and it was day after it airs in any country, many folks could call that a win. And it has a way bettered potential to reduce casual downloading torrents etc than all the threatening letters and lawsuits the Studios pull.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #158 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I watch TV my 2 eyes. How do you? How can Apple change that? Roku has a unified search that will look for a query in Netflix, Hulu Plus and Amazon. People aren't going to buy TV and then wait for content deals like with the iPod.

That's a very logical argument. And one that Apple would likely consider.

Which is why it is more likely that IF Apple were making some kind of TV/large size display they would start with just the little box while improving content. Then when that is primed and hyped Tim would be able to say something like 'we have all this content in the iTunes stores and customers are going crazy downloading it to their computers, mobiles devices and so on. But imagine how much better it would be if you had a display created to the best way to view all this terrific content and work smoothly with all the pieces of your digital world. And here it is.' And then of course pull a one more thing with something crazy like Pixar releasing 3D files in iTunes.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #159 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

That's a very logical argument. And one that Apple would likely consider.
Which is why it is more likely that IF Apple were making some kind of TV/large size display they would start with just the little box while improving content. Then when that is primed and hyped Tim would be able to say something like 'we have all this content in the iTunes stores and customers are going crazy downloading it to their computers, mobiles devices and so on. But imagine how much better it would be if you had a display created to the best way to view all this terrific content and work smoothly with all the pieces of your digital world. And here it is.' And then of course pull a one more thing with something crazy like Pixar releasing 3D files in iTunes.

There are so many pieces that need to be analyzed for this market.

  1. Television Set - Essentially a monitor with a TV tuner and HDMI built in. Apple can bring a much better factory calibration and classier look to the set. The former is very important while the later probably isn't going to improve much or be a hug factor to most people.
  2. Content - This is where the cable and sat companies have Kung Fu grip. They buy the content in bulk and then distribute it in packages. A la carte is more expensive per show/episode (and I doubt that will ever change). If you watch more content you might think that Apple is better but it will end up costing you more. That's a deterrent.
  3. Digibox - This is how a lot of Americans get their content. This is also the UI they use with their TV. This is where I feel Apple can really make the biggest impact to how we access our content.


It really makes no sense for Apple to make a TV that has a great UI that we rarely access because we're stuck using the digibox's UI for content. The only caveat i that you wouldn't have to switch inputs on the TV if Apple made a TV, it would just be an overlay of the moded Apple TV UI, but that also goes for Apple making a digibox that could connect to content from you cable/sat company, except that it would be more integrated and surely cleaner, smoother, and more intuitive than what we currently see on the market.

If Apple makes the TV the way Ireland wants it you get to hook up speakers but no Blu-ray player (or anything else that connects via HDMI). This seems like a complete fail to me because Blu-ray is and will be the de facto way to watch the best quality content in your HEC. It's not right for a "PC" but it is for your HEC. I'm sure Steve Jobs watched Pixar movies on Blu-ray at home with his family. If you make a set that alienates that segment of users that want "the best" you basically alienate a larger majority. IOW, the Venn diagram would have a lot of overlap.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #160 of 191
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
To say that the iPad Mini has no reason for existing is to say that the iPad has no reason for existing.

 

Uh… huh…


Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post
…apple could care less if you buy their TV, they want you to buy their services…

 

This is a contradiction in terms. Settle that internally before continuing.


Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post
Oh, I'd love to provide feedback, just show me how to navigate out of the forums section via that rip-off chrome button. Apparently, it puts you in an endless loop back to forums.appleinsider.com. Without having to type he main URL mind you.

 

I gave you the link. Just click it. And you can get to the link without leaving the forums in the first place.


Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
What if Apple introduced a full television which had the internals of an Apple TV inside? It would be able to run iOS and you could connect to the App Store and buy and use apps. It's not difficult at all to imagine things outside of what they've done in the past.

 

Yeah, I'll just go ahead and use these apps and… whoops! I have a remote with 7 (9) physical, hardware buttons! I cannot possibly ever use any of these apps designed for a TOUCHSCREEN.

 

Right in the name: Apple TEE-VEE. Any apps (Channels) for it would be video-specific content. There could easily be an official The Weather Channel Channel showing a live stream of the broadcast channel that also has an interactive local setup therein. Instead of just a uselessly simple image like this:

 

1000

 

on the screen for just a few seconds, you could select any of these days and see hourlies, percentages, and such. You could edit the radar maps to show whatever you wanted, local or regional…

 

Sports could thrive. I mean, you've seen those recent multi-game whatever in the sports packages, yeah? Imagine that, but with a decent interface and fully interactive.

 

But the straight up App Store? That's what AirPlay is for.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Full-fledged television considered 'more in tune' with Apple than simple set-top box