or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Full-fledged television considered 'more in tune' with Apple than simple set-top box

Full-fledged television considered 'more in tune' with Apple than simple set-top box - Page 5

post #161 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit 
To say that the iPad Mini has no reason for existing is to say that the iPad has no reason for existing.
Uh… huh…

If it's popular and profitable for the company that created it isn't that more than enough reason for its existence? I suspect the iPad mini will sell more units than the iPad. It could even generate more revenue and profit than the iPad in a short time. I certainly expect its adoption in units to be faster than the iPad.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #162 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

[*] Television Set - Essentially a monitor with a TV tuner and HDMI built in. Apple can bring a much better factory calibration and classier look to the set. The former is very important while the later probably isn't going to improve much or be a hug factor to most people.

Can't forget the "hug factor". I always hug my TV whenever Khaleesi is on lol.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #163 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Can't forget the "hug factor". I always hug my TV whenever Khaleesi is on lol.

LOL See, this is why these discussions are good. I would have never thought about hugging my TV. I also haven't watched any of S02 of GoT. Perhaps I'll start that this weekend. She is my favourite on the show. I hope Martin doesn't kill her off (haven't read the books).

post #164 of 191
Quote:

LOL See, this is why these discussions are good. I would have never thought about hugging my TV. I also haven't watched any of S02 of GoT. Perhaps I'll start that this weekend. She is my favourite on the show. I hope Martin doesn't kill her off (haven't read the books).

You haven't watched S2 yet? What's wrong with you man? Between GoT and BE HBO has really raised the bar. Unfortunately I believe those 2 shows split the vote allowing Homeland to win the Emmy. BTW did you know that Martin begged HBO not to make the show? He didn't think they could pull it off.
Edited by dasanman69 - 12/8/12 at 11:26am
post #165 of 191
Quote:

You haven't watched S2 yet? What's wrong with you man? Between GoT and BE HBO has really raised the bar. Unfortunately I believe those 2 shows split the vote allowing Homeland to win the Emmy.

I still haven't seen this season's Boardwalk Empire either. I'll likely get to that one when the series is over.

I am up to date on Showtime's Dexter (and, embarrassingly, up to date with CW's Arrow).

post #166 of 191
Quote:

I still haven't seen this season's Boardwalk Empire either. I'll likely get to that one when the series is over.
I am up to date on Showtime's Dexter (and, embarrassingly, up to date with CW's Arrow).

Don't be too embarrassed, I like Arrow as well.
post #167 of 191
Quote:

Don't be too embarrassed, I like Arrow as well.

It's Gossip Girl meets Smallville and I am way too old be watching either so I think it's healthy that I feel somewhat embarrassed by this guilty pleasure.

post #168 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

The set-top box idea is dead. Not going to happen.
They just fall right off of modern TVs.

Well, we are well overdue for a single device that does all of the set-up box job, but I think they will have no choice to still make a cable box, especially if they do a partnership with cable. I am hoping Apple will be able to change how Cable package content, but it will be no picnic.

In the mean time, there is still a lot of things that could go ahead of the of full TV set, like Apple TV app store, FaceTime, Siri, ...

post #169 of 191
Quote:

Yeah, I'll just go ahead and use these apps and… whoops! I have a remote with 7 (9) physical, hardware buttons! I cannot possibly ever use any of these apps designed for a TOUCHSCREEN.

Right in the name: Apple TEE-VEE. Any apps (Channels) for it would be video-specific content. There could easily be an official The Weather Channel Channel showing a live stream of the broadcast channel that also has an interactive local setup therein. Instead of just a uselessly simple image like this:

But the straight up App Store? That's what AirPlay is for.

Obviously an Apple TV app store would mean you cant just get iOS ipad app, it would have to be a separate store with apps develop especially for it. The thing is if they want to do it ahead of the TV set using the 99$ box, they will have to release a new way to control the TV , or new remote.  Apple TV beta suggest they are putting bluetooth into it, its the first step.

And Airplay is nice, but maybe a customer who buy's an Apple TV would not want to have to buy a 500$+ ipad just to play apps on it when the box already have the power to run the app natively.  Maybe they will be able to produce a control for something like 150$, something not far fetch considering logitech harmony remotes are not cheap.

post #170 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by antkm1 
It the same tv in both photos. So you're telling me apple has been paying royalties to Pioneer for 5 years? To post a photo of one of their TVs on Apples website? Why would apple do that?

Get your eyes checked. The first one is a PDP5020FD Pioneer Kuro TV with built in speakers. The other is likely a 60" Kuro Elite monitor panel with no speakers. Both have their logos removed. Whether Apple is paying Pioneer or not is irrelevant to this conversation. All you need to know is both those TV are Pioneers.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #171 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Gotcha. If she can hear what you're saying, it'll be swell for those tasks.
"- SILENT EVERYONE, I'm gonna talk to the TV!"
For manoeuvring the tv for content, volume etc something fool proof is needed that can be controlled when sofa is full of chattering people. I think (hope?) "cracked the code for building a TV" is something else than Siri integration.
Plus, bringing Siri to all languages of the world is too huge a task. World leading languages like English and German will be prioritised and work better than small languages like I dunno... Dutch? Belgian? Swedish? Czech?

Don't bother arguing about it. The last thing Apple will be doing is adding Siri to their TV. The most simple thing imaginable is a self-contained TV with a simple Bluetooth remote. An oversimplification, but yeah.
post #172 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Don't bother arguing about it. The last thing Apple will be doing is adding Siri to their TV. The most simple thing imaginable is a self-contained TV with a simple Bluetooth remote. An oversimplification, but yeah.

And yet you think something so simple that they could have done a decade ago is the "cracked nut" Jobs referred to in his biography. Just like when you predicted that any Apple tablet would run Mac OS X because it was simpler than creating a new OS for the device you need to look at this from Apple's perspective. Apple doesn't do simple; Apple does complex so that the end result is simple for the user.

post #173 of 191
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post
Apple TV beta suggest they are putting bluetooth into it, its the first step.

That's just Bluetooth keyboard support; nothing to do with control.

I've… been thinking about the TV. 

I think I get the idea. I'm warming a little.

I'll sleep on it. 

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #174 of 191
Quote:

That's just Bluetooth keyboard support; nothing to do with control.

I've… been thinking about the TV. 

I think I get the idea. I'm warming a little.

I'll sleep on it. 

Snap out of it and stand your ground. Lol
post #175 of 191
Quote:

I still see no purpose served better by a smaller tablet that can't go in a pocket. I'll change my mind when it has a reason for existing.

This actually happened: a friend of mine bought an iPad last year for his wife. She loved it, but returned it because it wouldn't fit in her purse. As a guy, this use case never occurred to me. Now with the iPad Mini: problem solved.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #176 of 191
Gassée doesn't think the Apple TV will be a "TV".

Quote:
Second, I simply don’t believe Apple will make, or even wants to make, a TV set. To realize the dream, as discussed previously, you need to put a computer — something like an Apple TV module — inside the set. Eighteen months later, as Moore’s Law dictates, the computer is obsolete but the screen is just fine. No problem, you’ll say, just make the computer module removable, easily replaced by a new one; more revenue for Apple…and you’re right back to today’s separate box arrangement. And you can spread said box to all HDTVs, not just the hypothetical Apple-brand set.

post #177 of 191
Quote:

He's makes an excellent and logical point. Hadn't looked at it from that particular angle for some dumb reason.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #178 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

He's makes an excellent and logical point. Hadn't looked at it from that particular angle for some dumb reason.

Really? That has been my primary argument since this idea cropped up. The rebuttal has always been that Apple wants to build everything just as they do with the iMac which simply doesn't hold up well for a TV.

post #179 of 191
The idea that anyone can just put their lives on hold to watch a TV show at a particular time is completely antiquated.

The innovation is not in the TV screen. The primary innovation needed in this space is a shift from broadcasting to on demand. The second is to put an end to the double-charging for accessing the same content in more than one media format.

At the moment content publishers have built big businesses around the idea of selling the same content multiple times: cinema, DVD, pay TV subscriptions and free-to-air TV. The sooner that dies the sooner we can move on to a rational system.

Apple just need a way to comfortably accommodate paid, advertisement-free content and free, advertisement-subsidised content in a way that doesn't annoy users and doesn't completely break the business model of those who produce content.

I'd also like to see Apple do away with this "region" nonsense and harmonise to a global iTunes and App Store.
post #180 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

I'd also like to see Apple do away with this "region" nonsense and harmonise to a global iTunes and App Store.

That unfortunately is not something Apple can do, unless they start becoming content owners which seems to be the one area of entertainment they are not going to become. At best we can hope to have Apple influence Disney and all their subsidiaries to license their content worldwide and be available within a timeframe that isn't an archaic throwback to VHS rentals (This time I'm linking to a Frédéric Filloux article on Gassée's Monday Note site: http://www.mondaynote.com/2012/11/25/the-release-windows-archaism/)

post #181 of 191
Quote:

What do you make of this then? http://www.cultofmac.com/204829/could-tim-cooks-new-made-in-usa-mac-actually-be-an-apple-tv-rumor/

Of course Tim Cook said it would be an existing Mac line that was to be built in the US. But about the rest of it? Who knows. Though I can't imagine Apple would be stupid enough to build a TV with just a power cord and noting else.
post #182 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What do you make of this then? http://www.cultofmac.com/204829/could-tim-cooks-new-made-in-usa-mac-actually-be-an-apple-tv-rumor/
Of course Tim Cook said it would be an existing Mac line that was to be built in the US. But about the rest of it? Who knows. Though I can't imagine Apple would be stupid enough to build a TV with just a power cord and noting else.

Even if we didn't have Cook specifically stating a current Mac line will be assembled in the US it doesn't add any credibility to the Apple HDTV rumour. Frankly, I hope they do make a complete line (as noted above) but I just don't see it happening (also noted above).

post #183 of 191
Quote:

Funny how Moore's law hasn't made my 5 year old iMac obsolete, and that runs a full desktop OS.

They'll make a TV, and you'll gobble it up.
post #184 of 191
Quote:

Funny how Moore's law hasn't made my 5 year old iMac obsolete, and that runs a full desktop OS.
They'll make a TV, and you'll gobble it up.

Um, you need to educate yourself on Moore's Law.

post #185 of 191

Apple will probably not make a full fledged TV, it will just be new, larger thunderbolt displays.  The Apple TV will then sport a thunderbolt port to connect to them.

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

post #186 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Nah, when Apple usually says stuff like this they are being sincere. My guess is Mac Pro.
post #187 of 191
Quote:

Um, you need to educate yourself on Moore's Law.

OK. Care to explain why my 5 year old iMac is not obsolete, but my 2 year old Apple Television will be? Because that's his argument as to why Apple won't make a TV. And I believe it's a flawed argument. You think Apple isn't aware a TV should last you longer than 2 years?
post #188 of 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post

Apple will probably not make a full fledged TV, it will just be new, larger thunderbolt displays.  The Apple TV will then sport a thunderbolt port to connect to them.

Or they'll make a TV.
post #189 of 191
Originally Posted by ExceptionHandler View Post
Or they'll make a TV.

I'm actually with Ireland on this one; TV distance resolutions and monitor distance resolutions aren't anywhere near the same. "Larger" Thunderbolt displays masquerading as TVs would be in the multiple thousand dollar range.

post #190 of 191

I own an Apple TV. It's an iMac. Got rid of my TV. Got rid of my cable sub. Works great. Looks great.

Apple might make a TV but, in fact, it will be a computer in sheep's clothing. Like the iMac. Apple makes computers and only computers because that's what it loves. Computers. That's Apple's lust and heart's blood and mission in life. It also knows people have learned rightfully to hate computers. So it disguises computers as phones and walkmans and maybe TVs.

Maybe. Apple's learned it is not enough to disguise the computer or even to make it damn pretty: Apple knows it also needs a firehose of highly appealing content. Content that's relatively cheap and relatively exclusive. No buck a tune, no iPod. No buck an app, no iPhone. And no buck a show, no iPhlix.

post #191 of 191
Originally Posted by Stef View Post
…it will be a computer in sheep's clothing. Like the iMac.

…which is designed as a computer, sold as a computer, and used as a computer. I don't get it.

Apple makes computers and only computers because that's what it loves.

And no buck a show, no iPhlix.

*shudder* But you're right. And it'll be a piece of cake to get purchased shows down to that price. Just you watch.

Pun intended, but not when I typed it.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Full-fledged television considered 'more in tune' with Apple than simple set-top box