or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian police [u]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian... - Page 5

post #161 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


I agree with allot of your points. But we are not talking about a whole mobile operating system and bells and whistles. We are talking about one app that replaced (at time of launch) a perfectly functioning app. Then through general users feedback and public acknowledgement from the CEO....it failed expectations. It failed Apples own high standard for user experience. If a billion dollar company with all of its resources at its disposal launches an application and it fails to meet expectations then it failed......not a complete failure. It can still be improved (all map apps can) but it will take time.

 

More hysteria, chicken little.

post #162 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

As pointed, the expectations where that it would be perfect, and, not surprisingly, it wasn't perfect. That doesn't mean it's any more "defective" than any other mapping service. Present some actual, objective evidence that Google Maps is substantially more accurate -- not this anecdotal nonsense being tossed around -- or please admit that you are engaged in baseless hysteria.


yes....hysteria cuts both ways does it not......some will defend something based on a imagined personal emotional attachment. Even ignoring public evidence to the contrary that is readily available to them.

 

Evidence has been presented...did you not see it?

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #163 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Got a link to these comparisons?

Here's one: http://blog.tabini.ca/2012/09/old-maps-vs-new-maps/

Now, do you have a link to an objective comparison, that meets at least the standards of evidence presented in the above link, that shows anything to the contrary? 

I think your own link shows that your arguments are flawed when:

1 - it admits that it's only relevant to a single Canadian province (you're making claims about the entire world);

2 - It mentions a test that shows completely contradictory results even in that Canadian province;

3 - It states that Apple Maps fails at the most basic of tasks, which is to search for data that does not precisely match the data in its database.
post #164 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

More hysteria, chicken little.


Please stop name calling.......no personal attacks. Is there a moderator on this thread?

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #165 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


I agree with allot of your points. But we are not talking about a whole mobile operating system and bells and whistles. We are talking about one app that replaced (at time of launch) a perfectly functioning app. Then through general users feedback and public acknowledgement from the CEO....it failed expectations. It failed Apples own high standard for user experience. If a billion dollar company with all of its resources at its disposal launches an application and it fails to meet expectations then it failed......not a complete failure. It can still be improved (all map apps can) but it will take time.

Again, Maps powered by Google were not perfectly functioning. People had complained about TbT and vector mapping since at least when Android Maps started offering it. There were errors in Google's backend. There still is, as noted by people comparing searches between the two over the last few months.

Google's location data is better, but you know it is and you know why it is.

As you now state, "it failed expectations" which is not the same as the product is defective and unusable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

The upgrade to iOS 6 is pretty much forced by Apple since they are no longer signing any iOS 5 installs. The rest of your argument is refuted by this.

Show me evidence that users were forced to upgrade from 5.x to 6.0.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #166 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

 

Another annoyance: clicking on a link is Apple Mail (Mountain Lion). I get weird error saying the app doesn't know what to do. WTF?????

 

Safari preferences defines which browser opens URLs - check the setting. The default is Safari. Is Safari installed and working?

post #167 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Show me evidence that users were forced to upgrade from 5.x to 6.0.



Of course I don't have to do this because I had the foresight to save my SHSH blobs before Apple stopped signing my iDevices for iOS 5.x, but still, as you can see, they're forcing the upgrade.
post #168 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Again, Maps powered by Google were not perfectly functioning. People had complained about TbT and vector mapping since at least when Android Maps started offering it. There were errors in Google's backend. There still is, as noted by people comparing searches between the two over the last few months.
Google's location data is better, but you know it is and you know why it is.
As you now state, "it failed expectations" which is not the same as the product is defective and unusable.
Show me evidence that users were forced to upgrade from 5.x to 6.0.

Please see the text in red above. I have never said Maps is unusable. It does not meet user expectations....even Tim said so when he apologized for the failed expectations.

If a product (Apple Maps) is launched especially by a billion dollar corp like Apple that prides it self on the users experience.....then fails to meet those expectations. then the product launch failed....it is defective by the failed expectations.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #169 of 498
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
…pretty much…

 

Hmm.


Originally Posted by geekdad View Post
Please stop name calling.......no personal attacks. Is there a moderator on this thread?

 

Does no one use the report button anymore? It's like a call button in a hospital or the 'assistance required' button on a plane or the popcorn preset on a microwave. Fastest way to get one of us in here.

 

"But you didn't change or delete it…"

 

Because it isn't an insult, really. It's the same as calling someone a conspiracy theorist "tin-foiler" when outing their conspiracy. That last part is crucial, of course.

post #170 of 498

This is a good example of why maps are so hard. Apple Maps isn't actually displaying anything incorrectly. The user entered "Mildura" with nothing else to narrow the location. Apple Maps returns the biggest, most general "Midura" it can find. In this case, that happens to be Mildura Share, an administrative area similar to a US county. It displays it with a pin. If you supply either an address or even a postal code, then it would return the actual town of Mildura.

 

Apple Maps isn't inaccurate in this case, but it is behaving poorly. Ideally, it would show the region with borders highlighted like Google does. If it can't do that, it should at least refuse to provide driving directions to the centre of a region like that.

 

If you try a little, you can find many instances where Apple Maps returns the centre of a region like this. The "errors" that people like to post usually involve situations like this where there are different places with similar names. If you don't give a precise address, it tries to pick the best match it can find, given the information you provided. While this is correct in a purely academic GIS sense, it is not appropriate for end users. These are the kinds of errors that Apple is apologizing for. It is correct, but not useful.

post #171 of 498
Originally Posted by tflanders View Post

Ideally, it would show the region with borders highlighted like Google does.

 

I hate that. I hate that A LOT.

post #172 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


yes....hysteria cuts both ways does it not......some will defend something based on a imagined personal emotional attachment. Even ignoring public evidence to the contrary that is readily available to them.

 

Evidence has been presented...did you not see it?

 

No, I don't see any objective evidence presented to support your assertions. They are entirely baseless, as far as anyone can tell. Yet, you repeat them loudly and continuously. It sure sounds like you are simply being hysterical.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


I think your own link shows that your arguments are flawed when:
1 - it admits that it's only relevant to a single Canadian province (you're making claims about the entire world);
2 - It mentions a test that shows completely contradictory results even in that Canadian province;
3 - It states that Apple Maps fails at the most basic of tasks, which is to search for data that does not precisely match the data in its database.

 

But, what it does not show, is that Google Maps is better, or that Apple Maps is worse. and, as for your point 3, it also points out that Google often returns results for searches that don't, "precisely match the data in its database," that are completely nonsensical. Which is worse, nonsense or nothing? That might depend on your point of view, but no one has produced any objective evidence to support the claims that Google Maps is better, let alone significantly better.

post #173 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

...  I'm still waiting for you to provide a side-by-side comparison that shows Apple's Maps to be inferior to the alternatives. ...

 

And everyone else is waiting for you to provide a side-by-side comparison that proves it not to be inferior.  Can't we just agree that sufficient objective testing hasn't been done yet?  

 

Methinks you really do protest too much in regards this issue however.  It's painfully obvious to anyone who isn't located in the USA that Apple's map data (or Nokia's map data or TomTom's map data or whatever the source is), basically sucks.  It's not a trivial thing either, the mistakes are huge and important.  The omissions are glaring and disappointing.  

 

Personally, it's a little irritating to me that you (presumably an American sitting somewhere in the USA), presumes to tell the rest of the world that the map data is fine, or as good as Google's when we can all see that it is not.  You say you haven't seen proof of this yet, but you have no proof of the contrary either.  

 

The issue has never been with the data inside the US but the data outside the US.  The single survey that anyone points to that purports to measure the accuracy of maps outside of the USA was this which was a single, small, quick study done informally and located in the most popular and populace region of Canada.  Even then it came out with mixed results and has specific caveats saying how it may not be representative of anything at all.  This is not good evidence of anything at all.  

 

Vancouver, the third largest city in Canada and the main city on the west coast of the country is full of huge errors, even downtown.  The parks are all in the wrong place.  The bike routes aren't mapped, whole streets are missing.  80-90% of the businesses don't show up.  There are so many errors it's simply not worth asking for directions unless you are in a car.  

 

Just because this evidence is anecdotal doesn't make it irrelevant.  Especially in the absence of any real tests.  You may be right about Apple maps being overall as good as Google maps.  You may be wrong.  Two things seem abundantly clear to me though:

 

- Anecdotal claims suggests HUGE problems

- No solid evidence to contradict these claims exists.  

post #174 of 498
Bad directions?! Shut it all down and give the money back to the shareholders!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #175 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... Because it isn't an insult, really. It's the same as calling someone a conspiracy theorist "tin-foiler" when outing their conspiracy. That last part is crucial, of course.

 

Well, if I used the "report" button every time I've been accused of wearing a tin foil hat, I'd never have time to post. Interestingly, most of those accusations, in the past at least, were related to things I said about Google. Now, most of them are just accepted as true.

post #176 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

But, what it does not show, is that Google Maps is better, or that Apple Maps is worse. and, as for your point 3, it also points out that Google often returns results for searches that don't, "precisely match the data in its database," that are completely nonsensical. Which is worse, nonsense or nothing? That might depend on your point of view, but no one has produced any objective evidence to support the claims that Google Maps is better, let alone significantly better.

See, proving that one is better than the other is only relevant to your argument, not to mine, because as I stated before, the expectation is that Apple Maps would be as good as Google Maps. It can be better, but it can't be worse anywhere in the world. It only takes a single case where Apple Maps is worse to make it fall short of people's expectations, and these expectations are made reasonable by the fact that Apple effectively replaced the service on their platform without providing an option to go back, potentially degrading its quality for some users while selling it as something better to everyone.
post #177 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

And everyone else is waiting for you to provide a side-by-side comparison that proves it not to be inferior.  Can't we just agree that sufficient objective testing hasn't been done yet?.  

 

I provided a link to such a comparison. And, yes, that's the whole point, sufficient objective testing has not been done. Yet, we sit here and read an endless stream of hysteria claiming that it's all proven that Apple Maps is horrible and Google Maps is 100% accurate.

post #178 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

No, I don't see any objective evidence presented to support your assertions. They are entirely baseless, as far as anyone can tell. Yet, you repeat them loudly and continuously. It sure sounds like you are simply being hysterical.

 

 

But, what it does not show, is that Google Maps is better, or that Apple Maps is worse. and, as for your point 3, it also points out that Google often returns results for searches that don't, "precisely match the data in its database," that are completely nonsensical. Which is worse, nonsense or nothing? That might depend on your point of view, but no one has produced any objective evidence to support the claims that Google Maps is better, let alone significantly better.


See post #173......that is the latest one but there are numerous posts by numerous others pointing out the same conclusion. You just don't see them because you are hysterical......blind with an perceived emotional attachment to Apple....now go back to drinking the kool aid.......

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #179 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


Of course I don't have to do this because I had the foresight to save my SHSH blobs before Apple stopped signing my iDevices for iOS 5.x, but still, as you can see, they're forcing the upgrade.

To be clear, you are claiming that everyone running iOS 5.x was forced to install iOS 6.0 and no option to continue running iOS 5.x?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post

Please see the text in red above. I have never said Maps is unusable. It does not meet user expectations....even Tim said so when he apologized for the failed expectations.
If a product (Apple Maps) is launched especially by a billion dollar corp like Apple that prides it self on the users experience.....then fails to meet those expectations. then the product launch failed....it is defective by the failed expectations.

I asked you what you meant you meant by defective. I inquired if you simply meant "imperfect", which would mean that every mapping solution is defective, or if meant a more extreme use of the term defective. You seemed to imply the latter.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #180 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


See, proving that one is better than the other is only relevant to your argument, not to mine, because as I stated before, the expectation is that Apple Maps would be as good as Google Maps. It can be better, but it can't be worse anywhere in the world. It only takes a single case where Apple Maps is worse to make it fall short of people's expectations, and these expectations are made reasonable by the fact that Apple effectively replaced the service on their platform without providing an option to go back, potentially degrading its quality for some users while selling it as something better to everyone.

 

Well, necessarily, for one to be better, one has to be not as good. So, neither of those has been shown, and while yes, people might expect Apple Maps to be perfect, there's no evidence anything has been degraded as a whole. (Clearly, no one expects anything from Google to be perfect, so they aren't as easily disappointed by the endless stream of flaws.) However, your entire post depends on a confusing back and forth between words like 'better' and 'expectations' (when have we seen that before), but, in the end, you're either wrong, or saying nothing meaningful.

post #181 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


See post #173......that is the latest one but there are numerous posts by numerous others pointing out the same conclusion. You just don't see them because you are hysterical......blind with an perceived emotional attachment to Apple....now go back to drinking the kool aid.......

 

Post #173 does not contain any sort of objective comparison data. I'm beginning to think you don't even understand what an objective comparison is.

post #182 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post


I'm amazed at how fast Google corrects their data. There was one poster here who showed a google maps screenshot of a place (in australia) that wasn't mapped. I looked at the data on bing that was up to date, suggested the modifications to google, and in a matter of minutes the streets were there! It's really amazing. If only Apple had this!

I move that we nominate Eric Schmidt to sainthood. It's the next logical step.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #183 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Post #173 does not contain any sort of objective comparison data. I'm beginning to think you don't even understand what an objective comparison is.


here you go doing what you do best....attack attack...make things personal.....dude get a clue. did you read the posts? Do you know how to read?? Show data to prove YOUR point. But oh please be OBJECTIVE....do you know what that means? Or are you drunk on apple kool aid???? I am beginning to think you are just hysterical.......do you know what that means?

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #184 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

To be clear, you are claiming that everyone running iOS 5.x was forced to install iOS 6.0 and no option to continue running iOS 5.x?

No, I said that Apple is forcing everyone to use iOS 6, and they're employing all methods they legally can in order to achieve that (they can't install software without my permission). Anyone who has not saved their SHSH blobs back when Apple was still signing iOS 5 installs won't be able to restore from iOS 5 to iOS 5; anyone who upgrades to iOS 6 is stuck there (except for iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 users); new iDevices come with iOS 6, regardless of generation; and if an iDevice is sent for repair, it will come back with iOS 6, so yes, they're forcing the changes down everyone's throats, because if for some reason your iOS 5 install gets corrupted and you don't have your SHSH blobs, you can forget about ever having a stable iOS 5 install on that iDevice again.
post #185 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I hate that. I hate that A LOT.

Your hate is immaterial. I think it is a cool feature. A polygon cannot be represented as a point in its centre. If that is the best Apple can do, then it needs to just remove the polygons from data.

post #186 of 498
Yes, the Midura info is really bad on iOS map. It is ridiculously off for this specific case. But on the other hand, don't people have some common sense? If Midura is a city, the iOS map shows it is in the middle of nowhere. No roads lead to it. Didn't people suspect something? How can you even build a "city" without any roads? How did these people even get there in the first place? Horses?

Is this a "made up" story for the City to gain publicity?
post #187 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

See, proving that one is better than the other is only relevant to your argument, not to mine, because as I stated before, the expectation is that Apple Maps would be as good as Google Maps. It can be better, but it can't be worse anywhere in the world. It only takes a single case where Apple Maps is worse to make it fall short of people's expectations, and these expectations are made reasonable by the fact that Apple effectively replaced the service on their platform without providing an option to go back, potentially degrading its quality for some users while selling it as something better to everyone.

Google Maps isn't perfect either, but they don't have click-bait websites like this one ready to pounce on every defect in an organized effort to embarrass Google. Nor does MapQuest, Bing maps, or Tom Tom for that matter. Apple does.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #188 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


here you go doing what you do best....attack attack...make things personal.....dude get a clue. did you read the posts? Do you know how to read?? Show data to prove YOUR point. But oh please be OBJECTIVE....do you know what that means? Or are you drunk on apple kool aid???? I am beginning to think you are just hysterical.......do you know what that means?

 

Do you have a point to make?

post #189 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Google Maps isn't perfect either, but they don't have click-bait websites like this one ready to pounce on every defect in an organized effort to embarrass Google. Nor does MapQuest, Bing maps, or Tom Tom for that matter. Apple does.

This has already been refuted in this thread, by me no less, and any further arguments you can think about when it comes to this case and my refutation of it have also been refuted. Google Maps does not have to be perfect because it did not replace anything.
post #190 of 498

OMG! This has end user error written all over it as well...how could you not zoom out and look at the maps and apply common sense!? You got to be kidding me on blaming this all on Apple. If you can't read maps, you have no business in getting behind a wheel, with or without GPS or any smartphone!

post #191 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


here you go doing what you do best....attack attack...make things personal.....dude get a clue. did you read the posts? Do you know how to read?? Show data to prove YOUR point. But oh please be OBJECTIVE....do you know what that means? Or are you drunk on apple kool aid???? I am beginning to think you are just hysterical.......do you know what that means?

 

Not sure what you are reading, but that was not personal attack, in discussions people will say that you are not proving your argument and ask do you understand, what I am asking. People reading too much into a comment or being over sensitive always happens.

 

Now all the Australians/Apple haters (latter being worse) had their 5 minutes of fame and bashing Apple, can we move on to the next topic.

post #192 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I disagree. There is lots of evidence that Apple's Maps is worse, in some areas, than the other mapping systems. Note the 'in some areas'.

And that's useless - it's nothing more than anecdotes. Not to mention that it's one sided. People will cite Apple's failures but ignore the failures of Google and everyone else.

Evidence involves a legitimate side-by-side comparison under controlled conditions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

I think your own link shows that your arguments are flawed when:
1 - it admits that it's only relevant to a single Canadian province (you're making claims about the entire world);
2 - It mentions a test that shows completely contradictory results even in that Canadian province;
3 - It states that Apple Maps fails at the most basic of tasks, which is to search for data that does not precisely match the data in its database.

It states:
1. Apple is not significantly worse than Google.
2. Apple and Google fail in different ways. When Apple fails, it tends to not return a result at all rather than returning an erroneous result.

But this one data point most certainly does not support the claim that you are making (that Apple Maps is worse).

There was a similar study done in San Francisco which also found Apple Maps to be at least comparable or better. Similarly, a comparison in China where they tried to pick representative samples.

You keep claiming that Apple Maps is clearly worse than Google Maps. It's not up to me to prove the converse. If you're going to continue to make that claim, it's up to you to provide evidence - which you keep refusing to do. Why is that? Obviously, because there IS no evidence to support your claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

And everyone else is waiting for you to provide a side-by-side comparison that proves it not to be inferior.  Can't we just agree that sufficient objective testing hasn't been done yet?  

- Anecdotal claims suggests HUGE problems
- No solid evidence to contradict these claims exists.  

I'm not the one making wild claims. If I were actively claiming that Apple Maps was better than Google Maps, then it would be my responsibility to provide evidence. Rather, a bunch of other people are running around screaming and ranting and raving about how terrible Apple Maps is - yet they haven't provided any evidence to back their claims.

Citing some cases where Apple Maps fails is useless - since Google Maps and TomTom and Garmin and Mapquest and everyone else fails in some cases, too. If someone is going to claim that Apple Maps is markedly inferior (as a number of people have done), it's up to them to provide evidence that this is true. So far, no one has done so. All we have is "Apple Maps can't find some remote location in Australia when you list it by the city name (although if you list the street address, it works)" or a few other examples of cases where it doesn't work.

Until you can provide some valid evidence to support the claim, it's an erroneous claim. Claiming that there are reports of failure would be correct, but pointless. Claiming that it is worse than Google is simply unproven at this point.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #193 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


Please stop name calling.......no personal attacks. Is there a moderator on this thread?

 

Haven't been doing this 'internet' thing very long then...

 

1rolleyes.gif

post #194 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

This has already been refuted in this thread, by me no less, and any further arguments you can think about when it comes to this case and my refutation of it have also been refuted. Google Maps does not have to be perfect because it did not replace anything.

Just as Apple Maps did not replace anything. You are still free to use Google Maps or Mapquest on our iPhone.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #195 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Just as Apple Maps did not replace anything. You are still free to use Google Maps or Mapquest on our iPhone.

As I said, any future arguments you may have have already been refuted. This one is not an exception. The version of Google Maps that you can still use is on the web and does not perform anything like the app did, due to lack of integration with the rest of iOS, the inability to save dropped pins, the inability to rotate, and its reliance on the network connection to update your current position on the map.
post #196 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

Do you have a point to make?


yeah...but you won't get it so it is a waste of time with you.....

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #197 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


This is nonsense. EVERY mapping system has flaws. There is absolutely no evidence that Apple's Maps is any worse than any of the other mapping systems.......only an idiot would blindly follow the technology into a dangerous situation...... If it's not a set up, then these people truly are candidates for the Darwin Award.

 

Show us other mapping systems that resulted in the local authorities warning people not to use it. 

Those Darwin Award winners are Apples bread and butter. Apple couldn't have earned billions of dollars a quarter without them. Apple knows it, that's why they are doubling the size of their genius bars.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


No, it's embarrassing for the mindless trolls who attack Apple without determining whether the problem is unique to Apple. EVERY mapping system has problems. The few comparisons that were done show that Apple Maps is no worse than Google Maps (in some places, like China, it's demonstrably better).
It's also embarrassing for mindless idiots who go marching into remote areas with no water or preparation and are not bright enough to figure out that they're in the wrong place.
Finally, it's very embarrassing for Apple's competitors who probably set this up......It really sounds like the kind of stunt Google would pay people to do.

 

If the map did its job, it would have directed them straight into town and not into a remote areas.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


And, yet, you haven't provided any evidence that it's inferior. The few side-by-side comparisons that have been done show it to be at least comparable.
So where's all the evidence to back your claim that it's inferior?
That's not what Cook said. His apology said that he was sorry that Maps failed to meet users' expectations. That is not an admission that the product doesn't work. But feel free to point out anywhere that Cook said the application was defective.

 

Yes inferior. Multiple motorists lost and a police warning doesn't count?

 

You're naive to think Cook (Apple) would admit the maps app is defective.

Apple never admitted fault in these class action lawsuits but the smart consumers and judges knew better.

 

Bait Apps
No Poaching Class Action
Apple to refund Australians over 'false' iPad 4G
ipodlawsuit.com
iphone4settlement.com
adaptersettlement.com
applesecuritiessettlement.com
"No Refund" Policy Class Action Lawsuit
Misleading Customers on Warranties in 11 Countries
Deceptive Siri Commercials
Ebooks Antitrust Lawsuit

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Still waiting for evidence that Apple's Maps are inferior to Google Maps.
10,000 monkeys furiously typing "Apple Maps sucks" doesn't make it true.
There have only been a few side-by-side comparisons and Apple Maps was at least as good as Google Maps in most of them. So where's the evidence to support your rant?

 

Neither does 10,000 apple apologist make it false.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


The sentence before that one answered the question. He said that the customers expected "the best experience possible" and Apple Maps didn't provide it. That's a tautology. NO product provides "the best experience possible".
Again, it reads very much like an apology you'd give to your wife when you know she doesn't have any rational complaint: "I'm sorry you're upset".
But feel free to point out any wording in Tim's letter that supports your claim that the program is defective. While you're at it, how about some evidence that it's worse than the alternatives?
Which makes it seem more likely to me that the entire thing is a set up foisted by one of Apple's competitors.

 

Obviously no product provides the best experience possible, but apple has a history of lying.  When the iphone5 was released apple claimed maps was "the most beautiful, powerful mapping service ever." But they had to take it down because it was clearly false advertising.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/09/30/revised-apple-website-no-longer-calls-ios-6-maps-most-powerful

 

All of the class action lawsuits are conspiracies too? 

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply

No matter what type of media...movies, music, books, photos and web pages

look better and sound better on the Kindle Fire HD and HDX than any iPad

Reply
post #198 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


This has already been refuted in this thread, by me no less, and any further arguments you can think about when it comes to this case and my refutation of it have also been refuted. Google Maps does not have to be perfect because it did not replace anything.

 

I fail to see why they would be subject to entirely different standards just because of precedence. Do you have any sort of argument to make other than that Apple Maps ought to be perfect but it doesn't matter how flawed Google Maps is? Because, not only is that not a compelling argument, it's entirely nonsensical.

post #199 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

 

Haven't been doing this 'internet' thing very long then...

 

1rolleyes.gif


i have..... but some can't make a intelligent discussion so they fallback on making things personal.

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply

Tallest Skil:


"Eventually Google will have their Afghanistan with Oracle and collapse"

"The future is Apple, Google, and a third company that hasn't yet been created."


 


 

Reply
post #200 of 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekdad View Post


yeah...but you won't get it so it is a waste of time with you.....

 

I assure you, if you make a valid point, I'll "get it". But, you can hardly criticize me for not getting it when you admit you haven't made it yet.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian police [u]