or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Jefferies expects 'iPhone 5S' & new iPad in summer, 'iTV' next fall

Jefferies expects 'iPhone 5S' & new iPad in summer, 'iTV' next fall - Page 2

post #41 of 75

you can get an iPhone 5 on sale at bestbuy right now for 150.00 dollars on contract or a 4s for 50 dollars- the "Premium" price point that the iphone could not go under is already over. Making a 300 dollar iPhone will not change much at this point.

post #42 of 75

I like the new iPhone 5.  It's a stunningly understated monolith.  Supreme elegance.  So light in the hand.  A beautiful screen and blisteringly fast after using an iPhone 4 for the last 2 years.

I don't see the 5S bringing us vast improvements.  Faster cpu?  Cpu x6?  Quad core?

Personally, I'd make the 5 thinner...and 'Nano' it.

Make a 4.8 tall and an inch wide phone.

There you have a similar strategy to when Apple had the iPod and the Nano.

Bring back colours.

Make a cheaper phone?  Sure.

That's what the iPod Touch is.  Just add a phone antennae and you have a contract less phone in mucho varied colours.  Some may even say the iPod Touch design is better than the iPhone 5.

But the 3 options I highlight would broaden Apple's appeal...and consumer choice.

There's plenty of choice in iPod.  

Why not iPhone?

(I guess the gouging of iPhone profits is making them weight up any cannibalisation products thoughtfully.)

Much as the S3 is the inferior phone on all levels.  It has a bigger screen and many seem to want that.  

We'll see.  They don't need 100 models.  3 would do.  iPod Touch Phone.  iPhone Nano.  iPhone+

A.  B.  C.

Easy.

If they want more growth...they're going to have to become more creative with the iPhone portfolio.  Many kids have phones now.  No reason why an iPod touch phone wouldn't be on a Christmas list..?

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

post #43 of 75
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post
you can get an iPhone 5 on sale at bestbuy right now for 150.00 dollars on contract or a 4s for 50 dollars- the "Premium" price point that the iphone could not go under is already over. Making a 300 dollar iPhone will not change much at this point.

You realize that this has nothing to do with the argument about a cheaper iPhone, right?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #44 of 75
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post
We'll see.  They don't need 100 models.  3 would do.  iPod Touch Phone.  iPhone Nano.  iPhone+

All three of these seem like terrible ideas compared to the two devices they already sell.

post #45 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Apple doesn't do audio, so if it has speakers in it, it will just be plain Jane audio that will only be used by some people that don't have it hooked up to a Soundbar or a REAL home theater system.

They have to at least be able to connect to a cable/satellite box with AirPlay to stream from iPad, iPhone, computer, iPod.

I can see a DVR a la Tivo capability with POTENTIALLY a large capacity Fusion drive or SSD storage.

If they used an A6X or better chip, they could do games, but maybe they can either figure out how to do multiple processors, or they have a new generation A-whatever chip they are working on.  But I see them using at least an A6X or maybe an X86 chip?  It would be nice to make it a full blown Mac, but I think they'll probably go ARM due to cost.

When you are talking wireless speakers, I can see AirPlay to a Home Theater processor and/or Soundbar and the Soundbar would hook up to a sub.

An ATV with a6x and Fusion would rock.  ATV...be nice to have a proper App store for it...and games etc.  It's Apple's call (which may be dependent on Content TV wise...)

Using a 'nano' as a remote.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #46 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You realize that this has nothing to do with the argument about a cheaper iPhone, right?

You're right- but in his defense- most people think the new iPhone is $200. People are idiots and don't realize or comprehend its subsidized. When I sold my 4S for $380 a couple months back, I had half a dozen people ask "why would anyone pay that, it's only $100 new".

Again- the bottom line is people are idiots. Off contract cheap phone might be ok for people who break their phone. its a terrible idea- the cheap iPhone. For a dozen reasons.

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #47 of 75
Quote:

All three of these seem like terrible ideas compared to the two devices they already sell.

'Terrible' in your opinion.  HATE, HATE, HATE...etc. :D

They have 3 iPod ranges.  It democratised music playing at all price points.

There's room for a bit more creativity in the iPhone range.  It's very pricey with a contract.  They could certainly take out the opposition with a contract less phone.

And to have one nano and one + iPhone?

Some may argue the current iPhone is neither one thing nor the other.

Personally, I think it demolishes the opposition.  But it's a pricey piece of kit.  And there's many millions of phone buyers Apple aren't reaching.

They don't have to make junk.  There's nothing wrong per se with the current strategy except they're selling 'out of date' phones at cheaper prices.  The cheaper prices of 4, 4S...not bad.

But to really 'shake things up', I'd go with my idea.

Add a phone antennae to an iPod Touch and you have a very sexy phone.  Prices at Touch prices? ish?  It would have been an option I would have looked at seriously.  

Making the current phone slimmer ala Nano would be good.

But many millions like the bigger screen.  So a plus model makes sense to me.

They've handled 3 models before in the Mp3 market with very different but 'common' players that cornered the market.

We'll see what Apple does with the iPhone.  Great product.

But it's not reaching everybody.  'Terrible' and 'Hate' don't get those millions of customers who aren't buying because...

The iPhone isn't 'streamlined...' or they 'dont' like the shape...' or 'too pricey...'

Little things?  Millions of customers going begging.

I have an iPhone 5(!!!!!)  It's awesome.

But it isn't all conquering...yet.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #48 of 75

For the record, my Sony Ericson from 4 years back+?  Cost me £145.  I thought that was expensive for a phone...THEN.

;)

An iPhone 5 with contract is going to cost me £900 over two years.  That isn't cheap.

The smart phone market is huge...and I'm an Apple user.  But I think they could reach far more people.

*Looks to the recent price hike of the iMac in 2008 and this year and wonders if Apple actually understands we're in a double dip+ recession.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #49 of 75

Love his interface 'guesses'. My guess is it'll have a simple Bluetooth Remote. Well, that's my hope.

"I hope. I hope. I hope".

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #50 of 75
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
People are idiots and don't realize or comprehend its subsidized. When I sold my 4S for $380 a couple months back, I had half a dozen people ask "why would anyone pay that, it's only $100 new". Again- the bottom line is people are idiots.

I'd say it's definitely more ignorance than idiocy. We often forget that the layman doesn't have the understanding of tech that we do. They see an iPhone as a wondrous device that "just does that stuff" without knowing how it does it or even the means by which it does it. They don't know because they don't need to know, and that extends outward.

Sad, but true, and it's only ignorance.

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Love his interface 'guesses'. My guess is it'll have a simple Bluetooth Remote.

I figure IR still. Bluetooth is way too power-hungry, yeah? And what would require Bluetooth over IR?

post #51 of 75

These guys are turds, and all this is to manipulate the stock. First, Apple provides conservative guidance on what it expects to accomplish, and these knuckle heads get the idea that they need to continuously completely disregard Apple's guidance and double expectations. When Apple sails through its guidance numbers, but falls short of the completely made up fairy tale numbers, Apple gets hammered. I understand Apple's guidance is conservative, but that is what guidance should be. Second, how does a company like Amazon that is way overvalued, makes very little profit, and owes money continuously get rewarded? Apple owes no debt, is growing its business, is buying stock back, and pays a dividend. 

With all that said, I think Apple will change the formula and offer more than one update to its products a year. The reality is that Google and Amazon take advantage of Apple's upgrade schedule and both have become better at software and hardware. Currently, Apple's hardware gets long in the tooth for about six months as competitors match and exceed Apple's products (at least in terms of specifications). If Apple wants to keep its lead, it has to be more aggressive. Apple used to update its Macs more frequently. I for one also would like to see Apple have three sizes for its Phones. I doubt that will happen soon, but I expect Apple to release another iPhone before summer. Another reason for that expectation, is Apple is aware that it needs something special every quarter to meet earnings expectations. Now that it updated most of its products at the end of the year, it will need some updates in the interim. 

Apple also should consider making two iOS updates as well. A minor feature and/or refinement update, and a more significant update later. The reality is that software defines Apple's products, and Google has been getting pretty good with software. It also releases products much quicker than Apple. 

post #52 of 75

so they are the new Microsoft, well not quite it takes Microsoft > 3OS upgrade cycles to fix its bugs, oh well

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #53 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm6032 View Post

If I may carry this a bit further, I recall Apple having an aversion to cables. I would expect everything to be in the tv set: Apple TV, tuner/cable, a good sized audio amp including an AV type device, multiple HMDI connections, wifi, and good front speakers (I just don't see a separate sound bar as part of the deal. Put that functionality in the TV and reduce the number of boxes). Couple that with a single UI remote.

You buy one box, it has two things: TV and Remote. If you have external devices (do you really need them?), connect them to HDMI. At that point, you're good to go. If you really want cable, maybe hook it to TV.

I know that if you buy a TV now, you get exacctly that: TV and Remote. But then you bring it home and connect it to an array of other boxes. Throw them out--and their remotes. I have at least five remotes sitting on my living room coffee table now--if we can find them all...

I'm not sure about cable. I have an Apple TV and I'm not sure I really need cable anymore. I can spend, say, $30 a month on purchased content and be ahead of my current cable bill.

If you really want surround sound, I would expect Apple to sell optional rear (wireless) speakers. If you want a sub, an optional (wireless) Apple Sub-Woofer.

Games: expect the TV set to have an enhanced AppleTV that lets you play games from the App Store. Do you really need a console for that?

I just don't see the need for an AV receiver in the vast majority of living rooms that would have an Apple TV.

but if you pack all the Apple wizardry inside a TV plus remote audio system, you have a maxmium cost/price product. and most people already have an HDTV by now, so hardware turnover is slow. so overall sales will be slow. too slow.

wheras soundbars are growing fast in popularity, but stil most don't have one - yet. also less expensive than a TV + sound system. so pack al the wizardly inside a soundbar, and overall sales could take off much faster.

post #54 of 75
Apple I doubt would do what is predicted here. First of all why are we ignoring the name IPhone 5 speed because we're talking external differences a better display and stuff. I believe in the display the same at least till IPhone 7. But it probably is till October due to a similar action to IPhone 4.(try to keep major upgrade as long as possible. Then talking IPad so the IPad and IPhone trade release dates well might as well release a Mac Pro every day and that will help Apple alright(however it would be soon three times the second best in the market, yet you would not buy a product where it is outdated soon. Not to mention likely hood of problems. A full Apple TV is actually in ball park.
post #55 of 75
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
I believe in the display the same at least till IPhone 7.

To clarify, that's the 10th iPhone, yeah? 😡

post #56 of 75
Quote:

To clarify, that's the 10th iPhone, yeah? 😡

Although not mentioned in the article, the same analyst is saying the multiple iPhone-6 prototypes are floating around including the one with 4.8" screen and no home button (fully gesture controlled):

http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-6-with-a-big-screen-being-prototyped-says-jefferies-2012-12

TS, you can save your time by not posting how the hardware out is so important :)

post #57 of 75
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
Although not mentioned in the article, the same analyst is saying the multiple iPhone-6 prototypes are floating around including the one with 4.8" screen and no home button (fully gesture controlled).

iPhone 6, the 8th iPhone, which is either 1 or 2 years away. I don't buy that there'd be prototypes yet, much less that they'd get rid of the only button needed to use the phone.

post #58 of 75

Wait a minute.  The price target changes from $900 to $800, so people sell the stock now because it's at 530?    Does that make any sense?    If it goes from 530 to 800, that's a 33.75% return over the period.  I'm assuming he meant the target is 2014 - I'll assume the end.   That's still at an almost 17% annual gain.   What other stock is going to achieve that performance over the next two years?     

post #59 of 75
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
Wait a minute.  The price target changes from $900 to $800, so people sell the stock now because it's at 530?    Does that make any sense?    If it goes from 530 to 800, that's a 33.75% return over the period.  I'm assuming he meant the target is 2014 - I'll assume the end.   That's still at an almost 17% annual gain.   What other stock is going to achieve that performance over the next two years?     

This is (will be) a failing on Apple's part. If Apple had (will have had) not failed (will failing), the stock target would be (wioll haven being) the same or higher. Since Apple has (will haves hadden) failed, the stock should be (will have used to be) sold now (then).

I love it when I have to reference the works of Dan Streetmentioner to properly explain the logic the idiots on real Wall Street use. 

post #60 of 75
At this rate, Apple will be releasing a new product every few weeks!
I love how they always say "the next version will be thinner and lighter with more features!" Of course it will! Everything moves in that direction with electronics. Tell me something else
post #61 of 75
And gesture control sounds retarded for a TV. Why would I want to wave my hands to change channels? Or talk to my screen? "Channel up!" x 30. Unless they can make it like Star Trek "Siri, turn to channel 25". But you still need a remote as some (prob most) wouldn't use voice (including me)
post #62 of 75
(800 - 530)/530=50.94%
post #63 of 75
Quote:

How can the chart go to 120%? 

No.
I'm so glad we have an official source from Apple to give us the lowdown on this.
post #64 of 75
There also rumors about the iPhone 6
Screen 4.8 "/ A7 / a new form factor / no home button

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1505289
post #65 of 75
What could be the resolution of this 4.8" iPhone 6 ?
While you know apple is eager to respect a certain proportionality between its devices
2 048 × 1 536px (which would make a 533dpi screen and would explain the term Retina+ )with a widened screen and a modified aspect ratio ?
post #66 of 75
Quote:

With all that said, I think Apple will change the formula and offer more than one update to its products a year. The reality is that Google and Amazon take advantage of Apple's upgrade schedule and both have become better at software and hardware. Currently, Apple's hardware gets long in the tooth for about six months as competitors match and exceed Apple's products (at least in terms of specifications). If Apple wants to keep its lead, it has to be more aggressive. Apple used to update its Macs more frequently. I for one also would like to see Apple have three sizes for its Phones. I doubt that will happen soon, but I expect Apple to release another iPhone before summer. Another reason for that expectation, is Apple is aware that it needs something special every quarter to meet earnings expectations. Now that it updated most of its products at the end of the year, it will need some updates in the interim. 

Competitors have lived in the air Apple gave them.  They do need to be more aggressive.  The 'new' iMac sat on Ivy bridge for ages.  (And then people run desktop sales low stories.  Sure, it's a trend.  But that skews it beyond absurdity.  Same with the Pro.  A.  It's ridiculously priced.  B.  It's not had a real update in years...and it still comes with a crap GPU for £2k.  And Apple now doesn't have a single iMac under 1k despite them dropping the DVD player which they charge me £65 for...  Customers pay the bills, Apple...)

In my view, there is the whiff of 'hubris' around Apple since about 2008 when they jacked up desktop prices on the Macs.  They've sat and watched Samsung and Android grow.  They have 'in time' done the right things but I don't think they did them soon enough.  They should have had the tik-tok numerics every 6 months.  5 then 5s in each year.  They're handing sales to Android and Samsung as the iPhone tapers to the end of the it's annual schedule...  

That's why I smiled when Apple released the iPad '4'.  Much more aggressive.  Remember when they used to release new PowerMacs twice a year?  Those were they days.  I remember them!  When they released iMacs twice a year.  1st half/2nd half releases.  I think they need to go back to those days at least for the iOS products.  If they want to win this war?  They must.  MUST.  They're sitting on 120 billion. GET IN THERE AND OBLITERATE ANDROID AND SAMESUNG.  F*ck the hubris.  Give them the squeeze.  You're sitting talent, the best retail stores in the world, the best App store bar none, the best products etc.  Why let a product go stale on the excitement of that initial launch and end up with specs that lag for 6 months.  Apple should be using their supply chain magic to 'bump' the products on the end cycle before a new design.  Android and Co seem to be figuring out how to exploit this to blunt 'some' of Apple's growth.  Apple have superb, industry leading hand.  But they can't count on having the best press and being the fashion in vogue darling forever.  They need to press their hand while almost all the planets are in alignment for them.

They put the 'boot' into the B*ll*cks of Android and Samesung tablets with the '4' and the 8 inch Mini.  That's more like it.  Apple had almost become too predictable.  This was a surprise buck of the schedule and to me, they'll have to keep that up on the iPad (Apple's strongest card right now...) to reach a critical mass in Education and Business.  It's worth betting the company on to maintain the tik tok on the iPad and iPhone to win this unholy war against Android.  (Steve Jobs said, 'Android is a stolen product.')

To me, Thermonuclear isn't rhetoric.  They could have put a cheap phone out there, in the iPod Touch, they could have had a nano iPhone and a + sized phone.  That's only 3 different phones.  But each one very different.  JUST like the iPod is 'the same' but a very different product for different prize brackets and needs.  Shuffle.  Nano.  Touch.  Classic.  Very different.  But the same.  And just because they haven't done this with the iPhone...doesn't mean...they can't!!

Whereas...

The 4, 4S and 5 aren't that different.  And reading the comments from some iPhone defectors to Android etc.  I can see a glimmer in some of what they're saying. Or why else would Android be doing 'well.'

Sure.  iPhone is still growing and it's Apple's 'cash cow' and they'll cream it for all it's worth.  I'm paying £900 for two years worth of smartphone.  But there are millions who can't afford that.  ...and I think they could be playing their hand even better.  Maybe they will when they're forced to innovate/compete again.

The iPhone isn't a one size fits all.  (Much as the Apple zealot in me wants to think it does.  I think it's the best phone out there.  It's a jewel.  But not everyone thinks like me...)

Lemon Bon Bon.

Edited by Lemon Bon Bon. - 12/11/12 at 6:44am

post #67 of 75

In short, they need to 'follow through.'

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #68 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prima Kingu View Post

What could be the resolution of this 4.8" iPhone 6 ?
While you know apple is eager to respect a certain proportionality between its devices
2 048 × 1 536px (which would make a 533dpi screen and would explain the term Retina+ )with a widened screen and a modified aspect ratio ?

...and on that very subject...

Quote:
There are clearly people who favor large screens, so it would be ridiculous for Apple not to develop prototypes for that. I mean, gloves come in small, medium and large. Why shouldn't smartphones?

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-6-with-a-big-screen-being-prototyped-says-jefferies-2012-12#ixzz2EkrcJDrD

A lovely quote that sums it up.  I have medium hands.  (Hey, girls, they're big enough to do the job... :P )  But for people with larger Gulliver Travel hands?

A great quote that.  And there's a market for a larger screen.  Apple.  Get with it.  Start leading again.

Lemon Bon Bon.

post #69 of 75
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post
I'm so glad we have an official source from Apple to give us the lowdown on this.

I gave my reasons. You've given none of your own in rebuttal.

post #70 of 75
Quote:

How can the chart go to 120%? 

No.

I suppose he could be basing it off static numbers and accounting for future market growth. Even then that would be a weird way to make the graph, especially without an explanation. It's dumb overall. He's projecting quite far and assuming minimal resistance from any other platform along with complete pricing alignment. To hit that kind of growth in terms of market percentage, Apple would need to appeal to areas where they're currently weak, such as prepaid plans. A $200 iphone would do it, but I don't believe that will happen. Even the iphone 4 doesn't currently come close. They'd likely have to build to a price point on that one while accepting significantly lower margins. This prediction is pretty far out there.

post #71 of 75

I see a device which is basically a super cheap iPad guts without a screen or gps integrated with a  large 30 , 40,  50+ inch screens, I will buy 3, one for office one for bedroom one for living room. In fact this will replace my desktop  computer!

Here's why

The TV will connect via wifi/ bluetooth to basically everything router, iSpeakers, iTouchpad, wifi, iKeyboard,  iEtc

Basic channel changing would be of course intuitive swiping through content and channels.. A completely new former AppleTV interface combined with Siri voice commands like for example' Turn on the football game at 1pm" or "When does <such and such> a show start" Siri will respond as appropriate if I want to record it or switch to etc. No more drilling down thru unintuitive menus using a remote squinting at the remote in the dark to see the correct menu button etc and having to look away from screen arghhhhhhh, no more fiddling with cables and limited choices as to where the TV is mounted only one power cable.

Since TV has iOS,  all current Apps I have on my iPad/iPhone will be available, and of course all content is synced over iCloud. I can watch Netflix just by starting that App, same with Crackle, hulu.  I can even use garage band, iWork, google maps,  Front facing camera to phone  people using skype, ( oh look I don't need a home phone anymore), iBooks, the list goes on and on. Basically it will do everything I can do on my computer which I used to connect with an HDMI cable sans that cable!

A computer in the living room. I won't need to even lift a finger or use my  iPad/iphone at home they are just for going out.  If I have a TV in each room of my house, i won't actually need to use an iMac or laptop any more

Imagine being able to just walk into my house after taking a few photos on iPhone and simply tell the TV to show them or email them to my friends. Voice activated texting from the couch.

Finally a computer that is like the Enterprise , Beam me up Scottie

I expect when this debues in October 2103 there will be a complete capitulation from the other TV manufacturers and Samsung will start their photocopiers.

post #72 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
Investment firm Jefferies predicted that Apple will launch its next iPhone and iPad as early as June, followed by a television set in the fall of 2013.

Fewer details were provided on a potential Apple television set, but Misek said he believes the mythical device will launch in September or October of 2013.

"iTV prototypes are also floating around," Misek wrote. "Gesture and voice control along with new user interface are the main innovations."

I'm getting a feeling of Deja Vu:

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-tv-2011-11

Jefferies: 'We predict Apple will make a TV in mid 2012, no wait Fall 2013, no wait July 2014, no wait Q1 2015'

The sad thing is, if it finally does manifest itself, they'll all say 'told ya so'.

I'd like to see a service model that works across all devices like Netflix. I think pre-programmed content has to go and be replaced by a popular shows page. Then it becomes like Youtube but with a minimum quality bar for content. If they need to play ads, so be it but I'd prefer the popup kind than the ones that break the viewing up and however they do it, I don't want to have to buy to watch like iTunes.

Personal recommendations in a family setting would be good and they can do this with thumbprint recognition on the remote as well as simple parental controls. Siri would be helpful but the mic should be on the remote so you don't have to shout across the room. All those features can be done on a box.

The only feature that really requires a TV is Facetime but I wouldn't call it a compelling feature and you have to get a new TV for a better camera.

Apple could probably make a better quality optically laminated panel and better designed but it can't just have the TV UI. The box acts as a good way of experimenting with this market.
post #73 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

If they need to play ads, so be it but I'd prefer the popup kind than the ones that break the viewing up and however they do it, I don't want to have to buy to watch like iTunes.

I think advertisers aren't sure where to place their dollars these days. I've never intentionally clicked through on one of those, which probably means I'm not their target market. I wonder how effective they really are.

post #74 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm 
I think advertisers aren't sure where to place their dollars these days. I've never intentionally clicked through on one of those, which probably means I'm not their target market. I wonder how effective they really are.

You can't click-through a TV ad but companies spend billions on them. Just making you aware of a service or product is enough reason to run them. Click through rates will generally be fairly low, around 1-5%, with actual purchases/conversions being a fraction of that. Someone on the following site said they got 4% putting an attractive girl in their video:

http://www.warriorforum.com/main-internet-marketing-discussion-forum/326988-youtube-average-click-through-rate-affiliate-links-video-description.html

If they put the girls in the ads, I'd probably click them because once there's an attractive girl involved, I'm no longer in control of what happens next.

The ad breaks in Youtube - Truview ads:

http://www.youtube.com/t/advertising_trueview

are the most annoying ones but they are obviously good for video game and movie trailers. On the rare occasion, I actually like watching some ads if they are well enough made. I think the following one is pretty decent:

Their ad slogan was 'The refined, redefined'. Some of them have songs you might like:

If they can mark portions of shows that are uninteresting and slide them in at a bottom corner, say 30% height, partially transparent at a fraction of the volume of the main content (like picture-in-picture) with a simple mechanism to watch/dismiss, I'd be more inclined to watch them. I don't like UI elements that make it clear advertising is being forced like markers that say when obtrusive ads are coming because the UI elements are distracting, it can just be non-intrusive advertising:

Some ads are so well made that they are worth having a reference to so they can be shared or rewatched but there's no option to do that on TV or Youtube ads. If they do the ad break thing, I just open another tab or do something else until it's finished.

It would be nice to be able to easily tell it what ads I'm interested in too. If I already own a product, they are wasting time trying to sell me something I already own.
post #75 of 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

You can't click-through a TV ad but companies spend billions on them. Just making you aware of a service or product is enough reason to run them. Click through rates will generally be fairly low, around 1-5%, with actual purchases/conversions being a fraction of that. Someone on the following site said they got 4% putting an attractive girl in their video:
http://www.warriorforum.com/main-internet-marketing-discussion-forum/326988-youtube-average-click-through-rate-affiliate-links-video-description.html
If they put the girls in the ads, I'd probably click them because once there's an attractive girl involved, I'm no longer in control of what happens next.
The ad breaks in Youtube - Truview ads:
http://www.youtube.com/t/advertising_trueview
are the most annoying ones but they are obviously good for video game and movie trailers. On the rare occasion, I actually like watching some ads if they are well enough made. I think the following one is pretty decent:

Well without click through options, the goal is to make you think about their product. I'm not sure what is with all of the flip book ads lately. I saw this one the other day. Some of the comments are funny.

Quote:

Their ad slogan was 'The refined, redefined'. Some of them have songs you might like:

I'm not sure what you've discerned about my taste in music. The first ad had a Marilyn Manson song. I never found him very interesting going all the way back to when he started. I'm not sure about the second. It sounds a little like the Killers. I don't really like generic stuff. If you're trying to discern what I'd like based on a fairly conservative approach to electronics, it won't work. I view electronics from a utilitarian standpoint, even if I can acknowledge the ways that others use them. With music I like things that are atypical. Too much of it sounds contrived and referenced to me even when examined  rather than used as background noise.

Quote:

Some ads are so well made that they are worth having a reference to so they can be shared or rewatched but there's no option to do that on TV or Youtube ads. If they do the ad break thing, I just open another tab or do something else until it's finished.
It would be nice to be able to easily tell it what ads I'm interested in too. If I already own a product, they are wasting time trying to sell me something I already own.

A major appeal to online advertising is the ability to directly track and measure a portion of the results. You don't have that ability in television or print media, so I could see them wanting to expand upon that. Google allows you some amount of ability to correct your profile with them. This supposedly results in more relevant advertising.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: Future Apple Hardware
AppleInsider › Forums › Mac Hardware › Future Apple Hardware › Jefferies expects 'iPhone 5S' & new iPad in summer, 'iTV' next fall