or Connect

COLA

post #1 of 66

Do you think the Republican Party should eliminate COLA for seniors? I see the selfish position you people take about COLA where it does not affect you at all.Pretty pathetic indeed.

Edited by marvfox - 12/13/12 at 2:58am
post #2 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Do you think the Republican Party should eliminate COLA for seniors? I see the selfish position you people take about COLA where it does not affect you at all.Pretty pathetic indeed.

Your question doesn't make sense because no one has proposed that.

post #3 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Your question doesn't make sense because no one has proposed that.

He added the last part.  It used to just read "Do you think the Republican Party should eliminate COLA for seniors?"   I left it alone at the time because it didn't even make sense.  First, as you noted, no one is proposing such a thing.  Secondly, the Republican party can't do anything on its own...it's not like they can just pass binding laws.   

The part he added is even better:  

Quote:
 I see the selfish position you people take about COLA where it does not affect you at all.Pretty pathetic indeed.

This is presumably his way of trying to bait people into answering the question.  One can only assume he is referencing conservatives, though I suppose it's possible he considers the entire board to be "selfish."  Interestingly enough, he doesn't even wait for anyone to reply.  He just 1) Assumes a given group (or everyone) will oppose COLA and 2) Labels that position "selfish" without regard to any reason.  

Wait..here's the best:  Marv, what does "COLA" stand for?  I'm wondering if you could explain it to us.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #4 of 66

COST OF LIVING ASSISTANCE. THIS IS WHAT IT MEANS GENIUS!

post #5 of 66
Quote:

Adjustment.

Genius.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #6 of 66

This thread is funny.

post #7 of 66

WHAT THE HELL IS SO FUNNY ABOUT THIS THREAD MEANING COLA. PEOPLE ARE DEPENDENT ON THIS TO EXIST IN THIS COUNTRY.PERHAPS YOU DO NOT HAVE THE COMPASSION TO UNDERSTAND THIS OR INTELLIGENCE.

post #8 of 66
Quote:

No.  Try again.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

Adjustment.

Genius.

Dammit Grace, he guessed it.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

This thread is funny.

lol.gif It really is.   It's literally putting me in a festive, joyous holiday mood!  

Quote:

WHAT THE HELL IS SO FUNNY ABOUT THIS THREAD MEANING COLA. PEOPLE ARE DEPENDENT ON THIS TO EXIST IN THIS COUNTRY.PERHAPS YOU DO NOT HAVE THE COMPASSION TO UNDERSTAND THIS OR INTELLIGENCE.

Guys, maybe if we speak in marvfox language, he will understand:  

<marvfox>

COLA DOESN'T MEAN ASSISTANCE YOU SELF CENTERED PERSON YOU.  IT MEANS COST OF LIVING ADJUSTMENT, YOU KNOW FOR SOCIAL SECURITY AND STUFF.  YOUR DEMOCRAT PARTY LOVING PEOPLE YOU ARE ALL THE SAME.  YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT DEFINITIONS OF WORDS JUST SLOGANS LIKE JUST DO IT AND DO THE DEW!!!!!

</marvfox>

post #9 of 66

I love the taste of cherry cola, but I don't drink caffeine and try to stay away from soda in general.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #10 of 66

MAYBE THIS WILL HELP

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_of_living#Cost-of-living_Adjustment_.28COLA.29

post #11 of 66

So what Dave it still means that our benefits might be cut by you lousy Republicans! COLA is essential for everyone that depends on it.Something you don't care about.

post #12 of 66

DAVE YOU BELONG IN THE CLASS OF THE NRA WHICH YOU PROBABLY LOVE AND ADMIRE.

post #13 of 66

I'll try to give up here ...

post #14 of 66
Quote:

So what Dave it still means that our benefits might be cut by you lousy Republicans! COLA is essential for everyone that depends on it.Something you don't care about.

Tell us how it's essential.  It's an adjustment, not a program.  

Quote:

DAVE YOU BELONG IN THE CLASS OF THE NRA WHICH YOU PROBABLY LOVE AND ADMIRE.

Please describe what's wrong with the NRA in your view.  

post #15 of 66

They are a bunch of gun toting members who think they are so macho with their weapons they own. The NRA  could not care one iota about the children or teachers who got killed in this school in Conn.They only real motive is to make more money off gun manufacturers and lobby for more money from these Tea Party politicians who favor this lunancy of more armed guards in schools where it did not help one bit in Columbine or in other killings we encountered.

post #16 of 66
Quote:

They are a bunch of gun toting members

Obviously, since it's the National Rifle Association. 

Quote:
who think they are so macho with their weapons they own.

You don't know that.  You have not one piece of evidence to support that claim.  

Quote:
The NRA  could not care one iota about the children or teachers who got killed in this school in Conn.

Marvfox likes to have sex with goats and furniture.  See how easy that was?  Anyone can make up wild accusations.  

Quote:
They only real motive is to make more money off gun manufacturers and lobby for more money from these Tea Party politicians who favor this lunancy of more armed guards in schools 

The NRA is a 501 c (3, 4) organization, meaning it's non-profit. Genius.   

Quote:
where it did not help one bit in Columbine or in other killings we encountered.

First, it did help...it slowed them down.  Secondly, if armed guards aren't the answer, why does the school that Obama sends his daughters to have 11 armed security guards?  And no, it's not just because his daughters go there.  This is the school's normal compliment.  

post #17 of 66
Can we get back to marvfox's hilarious misconceptions about what "COLA" is?
post #18 of 66

I guess as a teacher you would have a gun to protect yourself right Dave?

post #19 of 66

How old are you? Maybe you think COLA is a joke but ask over 55 million seniors who depend on this what they think if Obama might start to cut this as part of SS we are depending on.We look forward to this little increase at least every 2 years as expenses  are going higher constantly in this economy.

post #20 of 66
Quote:

How old are you? Maybe you think COLA is a joke but ask over 55 million seniors who depend on this what they think if Obama might start to cut this as part of SS we are depending on.We look forward to this little increase at least every 2 years as expenses  are going higher constantly in this economy.

I think your quarrel is with this man:

post #21 of 66

I would love to jump in and add some actual context and more facts, but this thread doesn't really seem the place to waste those keystrokes.

But I will note that on the internet PEOPLE CAN HEAR YOU SCREAM, MARVFOX.

And I refuse to debate people who are screaming.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #22 of 66

Are you kidding me with this remark? I am not screaming I am voicing my opinion period.

post #23 of 66
It's also hard to debate people that are completely ignorant about the topic they started let alone screaming.
post #24 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

First, it did help...it slowed them down.  

Not appreciably.  They started shooting at 11:19.  The school police officer shot at them at 11:24 but the massacre in the Library happened between 11:29-11:36.  This is after two other nearby officers were on scene and shot at them at 11:26.  They had the run of the school until they committed suicide at 12:08.

Quote:
Secondly, if armed guards aren't the answer, why does the school that Obama sends his daughters to have 11 armed security guards?  And no, it's not just because his daughters go there.  This is the school's normal compliment.  

It costs about as much to go to Sidwell ($34,000) as Harvard ($38,000) but you get to pay for 12 years rather than 4.  My wife and I make good money but that's a whole different world...although to be honest, "normal" private school runs a good $20-25K.  $10K more to go to Sidwell, assuming you can get in, is worth it.  My wife and I kid that we should divorce, she should stop working and then we could afford to send our kids to these kind of schools using financial aid.

Many of these kids have their own bodyguard as a matter of course that aren't generally allowed to hang around school (the Secret Service being a notable exception).  Hence the need for the school to provide an equivalent level of protection for the students.   Do your kids normally have a bodyguard?

Armed guards are not the answer unless you are rich because any armed guards that would be in public schools would be on par with "TSA guards" and not anything like the Sidwell security force.  No thanks.

post #25 of 66

You sir are just plain rude with no actual backing what you are talking about in this topic.You are a right winger I can just feel it.

post #26 of 66
Quote:

You sir are just plain rude with no actual backing what you are talking about in this topic.You are a right winger I can just feel it.

Who?

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #27 of 66

Sorry i meant the other winner Floor Jack not you. he is a real wise ass!

post #28 of 66
Quote:

Sorry i meant the other winner Floor Jack not you. he is a real wise ass!

Please marvfox, display some understanding of what COLA is and how it impacts your payments. 

post #29 of 66

COLA is to ensure that the purchasing power of SS and SSI benefits is not eroded by inflation.It is based on the percentage in the CPI for urban wage earners and clerical workers from the 3rd quarter of the last year. If their is no increase there is no COLA.I need COLA because my only source of living is my SS pension when I retired at age 62 .That is why this is essential to me and millions of others on SS and SSI.

post #30 of 66
Quote:

COLA is to ensure that the purchasing power of SS and SSI benefits is not eroded by inflation.It is based on the percentage in the CPI for urban wage earners and clerical workers from the 3rd quarter of the last year. If their is no increase there is no COLA.I need COLA because my only source of living is my SS pension when I retired at age 62 .That is why this is essential to me and millions of others on SS and SSI.

It's interesting that this understanding didn't come forward sooner. No on has suggested eliminating the COLA. Just adjusting the formulae so that it more closely reflects COL. It's something Obama even suggested. 

post #31 of 66

Well hopefully Obama and the Republicans can work accordingly to adjust what has to be done with COLA.

post #32 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

Not appreciably.  They started shooting at 11:19.  The school police officer shot at them at 11:24 but the massacre in the Library happened between 11:29-11:36.  This is after two other nearby officers were on scene and shot at them at 11:26.  They had the run of the school until they committed suicide at 12:08.

It costs about as much to go to Sidwell ($34,000) as Harvard ($38,000) but you get to pay for 12 years rather than 4.  My wife and I make good money but that's a whole different world...although to be honest, "normal" private school runs a good $20-25K.  $10K more to go to Sidwell, assuming you can get in, is worth it.  My wife and I kid that we should divorce, she should stop working and then we could afford to send our kids to these kind of schools using financial aid.

Many of these kids have their own bodyguard as a matter of course that aren't generally allowed to hang around school (the Secret Service being a notable exception).  Hence the need for the school to provide an equivalent level of protection for the students.   Do your kids normally have a bodyguard?

Armed guards are not the answer unless you are rich because any armed guards that would be in public schools would be on par with "TSA guards" and not anything like the Sidwell security force.  No thanks.

Honestly, come work at an elementary school with me, and then tell me that we shouldn't have someone that is armed.  We are sitting ducks when pitted against someone like Lanza.  He shot his way in.  They were defenseless.  The principal and perhaps other select personnel should at least have access to a weapon.  

post #33 of 66
Quote:

And we certainly don't need a Rambo-wanna-be who lacks the proper training turning a parents' day into a nightmare.

post #34 of 66
Quote:

Honestly, come work at an elementary school with me, and then tell me that we shouldn't have someone that is armed.  We are sitting ducks when pitted against someone like Lanza.  He shot his way in.  They were defenseless.  The principal and perhaps other select personnel should at least have access to a weapon.  

My dad was a professor that taught education.  My ex was a teacher in one of the worst elementary schools in her county and interned at an inner city school.  I work at a uni.  My wife is an occasional adjunct prof at the local community college.

If there is a demographic more likely to be anti-gun than US educators I have no clue what it would be.  

Plus, there are maybe 5 adult males in my kids school and I can only actually think of 3 off the top of my head.  Sure, many women like to shoot too but not nearly as many as men.  Arming the average school principal isn't going to go over.  Just having access to a weapon is insufficient.  Training and regular practice is required.   You tell me, how many teachers and administrators in your school shoot regularly today?  Or shoot at all?

So it has to be dedicated staff unless you live in Israel.  Or maybe Texas.

Which teacher or school program are you willing to let go for an armed guard?  I don't know about your school system but ours is affluent but still fiscally challenged enough that the PTA coughs up a lot of money each year.

School systems that need "armed guards" already have police assigned and police tactics and training has greatly improved since Columbine.  

If educators and the NRA want to create a FFDO like structure for school teachers and administrators that seems reasonable as yet another layer of defense...but these are flight crew that are specifically trained and then actually sworn and deputized as federal LEOs.  And a lot of pilots are former military.  And they pay for their own civil liability insurance.  And costs the federal government $22M per year in administrative and training costs.  On top of that the FFDO volunteer pays for the initial training costs ($4K) and recurring training every 5 years($3.5K) out of their own pockets AND time.

Ain't happening.  Not even in Texas are you going to find more than a small fraction of teachers and administrators that are willing and able to do this.  And frankly, without that level of training you're just a well meaning liability with a false sense of security.

post #35 of 66
Quote:

My dad was a professor that taught education.  My ex was a teacher in one of the worst elementary schools in her county and interned at an inner city school.  I work at a uni.  My wife is an occasional adjunct prof at the local community college.

Good for you.  You still have no idea what the security situation is in an average school.   We are not just talking about "one of the worst schools."  We're talking about tens of thousands of schools.  I happen to teach at one of the best schools in the state, and I can tell you we are defenseless.  

If there is a demographic more likely to be anti-gun than US educators I have no clue what it would be.  

Whether or not that is true, it is completely irrelevant.  

Quote:
Plus, there are maybe 5 adult males in my kids school and I can only actually think of 3 off the top of my head.  Sure, many women like to shoot too but not nearly as many as men.  

I don't see what that has to do with it.   I'm not talking about arming teachers.  I don't see what gender has to do with it, nor does someone "liking to shoot" have anything to do with the matter.  

Quote:
Arming the average school principal isn't going to go over.  

Why?  Because you say so?  

Quote:
Just having access to a weapon is insufficient.  

Why?  

Quote:
Training and regular practice is required.

Obviously, training is required.  I don't know what you think "regular practice" means.  

Quote:
You tell me, how many teachers and administrators in your school shoot regularly today?  Or shoot at all?

Irrelevant.  

Quote:
So it has to be dedicated staff unless you live in Israel.  Or maybe Texas.

No, it does not...but it could be.  

Quote:
Which teacher or school program are you willing to let go for an armed guard?  I don't know about your school system but ours is affluent but still fiscally challenged enough that the PTA coughs up a lot of money each year.

False dilemma based on a false premise.  We do not necessarily need a dedicated armed guard.  If we went that way, there are a number of potential funding sources.  

Quote:

School systems that need "armed guards" already have police assigned and police tactics and training has greatly improved since Columbine.  

Ridiculous, on so many levels.  First, the entire point is that EVERY school needs an armed guard of some sort (or people with access to the tools needed to defend students and staff).  Sandy Hook showed us that.   A lunatic shot his way in.  The principal and others lunged for him.  Guess what?  They all died long before police arrived, so don't give me your bullshit about police tactics and response times.  

Quote:
If educators and the NRA want to create a FFDO like structure for school teachers and administrators that seems reasonable as yet another layer of defense...but these are flight crew that are specifically trained and then actually sworn and deputized as federal LEOs.  

Quote:
And a lot of pilots are former military.  And they pay for their own civil liability insurance.  And costs the federal government $22M per year in administrative and training costs.  On top of that the FFDO volunteer pays for the initial training costs ($4K) and recurring training every 5 years($3.5K) out of their own pockets AND time.

Quote:
Ain't happening.  Not even in Texas are you going to find more than a small fraction of teachers and administrators that are willing and able to do this.  And frankly, without that level of training you're just a well meaning liability with a false sense of security.

Ah, now we're drawing false equivalency and using strawmen.  Excellent.   The failure of your ridiculous and uninformed argument is now complete.   

post #36 of 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

And we certainly don't need a Rambo-wanna-be who lacks the proper training turning a parents' day into a nightmare.

Yes, what a well-reasoned argument for not arming anyone in a school with 500 defenseless children and teachers.  

post #37 of 66
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Yes, what a well-reasoned argument for not arming anyone in a school with 500 defenseless children and teachers.  

One potential problem with this line of reasoning is that, for obvious reasons, you are focussing on schools. Unfortunately, the same risk is posed to many other types of institution and business, since most do not employ armed guards. They are all largely defenseless, making the shear scale of this problem huge.

And, despite your robust defense of the idea, there really is no precedent that I can think of for arming a segment of the civilian population in that manner. How might that work, even just in schools? Ask for volunteers? Require certain personnel, such as the Principal, to be armed? Who pays? Who trains them? Who certifies them as competent? What about liability and insurance? It looks to me like a very difficult idea to implement. Can you really see that working?

The LE or certified private security personnel approaches seem like the only practicable solutions, but again, who pays? School budgets are tight enough. And again, can we, or should we just stop at protecting schools?

post #38 of 66

Yet another "small government" republican getting scared, overreacting, and demanding massive government spending.  Oh, by the way, let's also cut taxes and shred the social safety net to afford all this wonderful faux security.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #39 of 66

Oddly, one program often pointed at for cuts is education.  Perhaps we could reduce the budgets for schools to buy teaching materials and move that money to arming the system.  That way we get students who aren't well educated... just what Texas wants... and our future will be even bleaker.  But the gun makers would see increased profits and some nuts will feel more secure.

1rolleyes.gif

- - - - -

Just a brainstorming session:

Install cameras and have a dedicated monitor with a quick line to the police.  Anybody approaching the school could be zoomed in on and, if seen to be carrying something a little more dangerous than a thought-provoking text book or wearing something a little heavier than a football uniform would stand out and the guard could notify LE, who could also have a unit within a certain response time from the school (which they likely have in place now).  No real training needed.  No liability insurance.  No risk of the staff member shooting a kid.

Or make it so the windows or doors can't be shot out and thus give an intruder access to the interior of the building.

There are many steps that can be taken to improve security at schools without adding guns to the mix.  There is a faux security field in guns felt by many people; however, coming from a family of educators (pre-school to university), I do not think arming the teachers is an option.  

post #40 of 66

Education is essential and should never be cut. There is a statistic that the U.S. ranks in 17th place in Science and Math which is really sad indeed.Number one is Finland.There are other programs to cut which is not that important to our economy.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider