or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google CEO Larry Page says rivalries with Apple & Amazon hurt users

Google CEO Larry Page says rivalries with Apple & Amazon hurt users

post #1 of 150
Google Chief Executive Larry Page has lamented the "island-like approach" companies have taken in commercializing the Internet, as services from Google, Apple and Amazon do not integrate well with one another.

Page's comments come from an interview with Fortune published on Tuesday, in which he said it is "a shame" that the three biggest technology companies are competing with each other with completely different business models. While Apple makes its money off of hardware, Google sells advertising that accompanies its free services, and Amazon opts for a low-margin, high-volume approach selling items and content from its Web-based store.

"All the big technology companies are big because they did something great," Page said. I"d like to see more cooperation on the user side. The Internet was made in universities and it was designed to integrate. And as we've commercialized it, we've added more of an island-like approach to it, which I think is somewhat of a shame for users."

The Google CEO said he feels it "would be nice" if his company got along better with rivals like Apple and Amazon. He believes more cooperation would make users "suffer" less.

"We try pretty hard to make our products available as widely as we can. That's our philosophy," he said. "I think sometimes we're allowed to do that. Sometimes we're not."

Larry Page

When asked whether Google talks with Apple about resolving some of these issues, Page simply said that his company has a "big search relationship" with Apple, and that the two sides do talk.

Page also revealed he was friendly with Apple co-founder Steve Jobs, though only "at times." He clarified earlier comments in which he said he believed Jobs' hatred of Android was "for show," adding that he felt it was "partly" to energize Apple's employees and supporters.

"That's something I try not to do," Page said. "I don't try to rally my company in that way because I think that if you're looking at somebody else, you're looking at what they do now, and that's not how again you stay two or three steps ahead."

The interview didn't touch on recent reports that claimed Page was in direct talks with Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook about patent litigation. One report from August claimed that the two CEOs have had phone conversations with one another about intellectual property issues.

Cook has been more delicate with his choice of words than his predecessor, Jobs, who told biographer Walter Isaacson that he viewed Google's Android platform as a "stolen product." The late Jobs vowed to spend his "last dying breath" along with "every penny" that Apple had in the bank "to right this wrong."
post #2 of 150

So maybe don't start "rivalries", then.

"All the big technology companies are big because they did something great," Page said. I"d like to see more cooperation on the user side

Fine, release your search algorithms so that everyone can have great searching.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #3 of 150
This comment sounds to me more like Larry wants Apple etc to get in board with doing things 'the Google Way' so they will stop blocking Google's requests for private info about users.

And perhaps as well they will stop denying Google access to those 'defacto standards' patents that Google wants to use in Android.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #4 of 150

Google shut down their search API. That doesn't sound like they are trying to work with anyone.

post #5 of 150

Blatantly copying a mobile OS and offering it for free is bad for the company that originally created the OS too. 

And for the record...I'm not hurting at all Larry. Its just too god damn bad Android fanboys can't get an exact copy of iOS and claim its their own. 

I think Google is slowly starting to go down hill a little. Other than Android and search, everything else they do is a massive failure. You can't beat people by copying them. You need to make something better and truly innovative. 

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

Mac Mini (Mid 2011) 2.5 GHz Core i5

120 GB SSD/500 GB HD/8 GB RAM

AMD Radeon HD 6630M 256 MB

post #6 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think anyone advocates Apple giving up all their IP. With that said if Congress or the courts see fit to disallow Google software patents for search or any other purpose, I think it would be marvelous.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #7 of 150

What an evil comment. Yes, integrate everything to Google, let your streams of data flow to the master vault of privacy violations.

Apple had me at scrolling
Apple had me at scrolling
post #8 of 150
Could this guy be a bigger putz? I'm sure these multi billion dollar companies always have the user in mind first.... what a crock of shit.
post #9 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google Chief Executive Larry Page has lamented the "island-like approach" companies have taken in commercializing the Internet, as services from Google, Apple and Amazon do not integrate well with one another.
Page's comments come from an interview with Fortune published on Tuesday, in which he said it is "a shame" that the three biggest technology companies are competing with each other with completely different business models. While Apple makes its money off of hardware, Google sells advertising that accompanies its free services, and Amazon opts for a low-margin, high-volume approach selling items and content from its Web-based store.
"All the big technology companies are big because they did something great," Page said. I"d like to see more cooperation on the user side. The Internet was made in universities and it was designed to integrate. And as we've commercialized it, we've added more of an island-like approach to it, which I think is somewhat of a shame for users." ...

What a bunch of self-serving BS from this sociopath. Yeah, Larry, it's a shame that everyone won't just roll over and let you control everything, a real shame.

post #10 of 150

Rivalry, aka "competition," is actually good. What's not good is outright theft in order to profit off of someone else's work. It's called things like "ethics" and "integrity," something you seem to know nothing about.

post #11 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Both good points!
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
Enjoying the new Mac Pro ... it's smokin'
Been using Apple since Apple ][ - Long on AAPL so biased
nMac Pro 6 Core, MacBookPro i7, MacBookPro i5, iPhones 5 and 5s, iPad Air, 2013 Mac mini.
post #12 of 150

The comments here are pretty negative, but here's what really happens:

• Can't use Android device to control AppleTV. The GoogleTV protocol is open, so the opposite is possible..
  • Airplay isn't an open protocol.
  • Android gets some benefits to accessing Google unpublished APIs. It has been getting a bit better as of late, but Apple/Android experiences aren't equal.
post #13 of 150
He would say that...his entire business depends on being able to control as many access points to the internet....
post #14 of 150
Originally Posted by bryanl View Post
  • Android gets some benefits to accessing Google unpublished APIs. It has been getting a bit better as of late, but Apple/Android experiences aren't equal.

Right, Apple's better, despite missing out on them.

post #15 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

This comment sounds to me more like Larry wants Apple etc to get in board with doing things 'the Google Way' so they will stop blocking Google's requests for private info about users.
And perhaps as well they will stop denying Google access to those 'defacto standards' patents that Google wants to use in Android.

Google's CEO was sitting on Apple's board, being privy to Apple's plans and products while at the same time planning to compete with their "partner" by producing basically a clone of Apple's work. That is beyond a sh*tty thing to do to your "partner". Eric, should have "excused himself" from Apple's board long before, while stating that they were planning to compete "head to head" with Apple... but then again think of all of the intel he wouldn't have been able to gather if he did that.

Eric Schmidt was essentially a mole on Apple's board. Google wanted to be sure that their maps, search and YouTube was on Apple's devices so they could harvest user data AND gain insight on Apple's products and plans. Had Apple known what Google was planning, their is no way in hell that Eric Schmidt would have been allowed anywhere near the Apple campus let alone sit on their board. Steve was furious because he was betrayed by a snake posing as a partner.

Apple kept the iPad secret from Eric which is why Google is still so far behind Apple in the Tablet space - they didn't have Apple to show them how it's done so they'd have something to clone.

It's like Apple having their CEO on Google's board while planning to build a search engine to compete head to head with Google's. Google knew what they were doing and they kept Eric as close to Apple as they could until right before they went public with their iOS clone. Greasy and dishonest to say the least.

That said, I am sick and tired of the legal crap. I say get out of the court room and back into the R and D labs.

Google's attempt at trying to look like the good guy makes me sick.

post #16 of 150
Hyundai Motors CEO Chung Mong-koo said that BMW, Mercedes and Porsche's reluctance to share its engine designs with them ultimately hurts users.

"Porsche should let us obtain their motor designs. For free. This will be most beneficial to users. But does Porsche comply? Nooooooo! They say their designs are the results of years of R&D, to which we say 'So what!, think about customers first, not profits'.

I hear what Larry's saying, but I don't get it, especially when superimposed on a free-market system whose sole purpose is to return its shareholders a profit.

He cites the problem, then closes the loop on it: "And as we've commercialized it, we've added more of an island-like approach to it, which I think is somewhat of a shame for users."
post #17 of 150
perhaps you guys shouldn't have stolen your mobile OS.
post #18 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by macxpress View Post

I think Google is slowly starting to go down hill a little. Other than Android and search, everything else they do is a massive failure. You can't beat people by copying them. You need to make something better and truly innovative. 

While I agree with you in principle, yes you CAN beat someone by copying. Biggest example? Microsoft.

post #19 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Google's CEO was sitting on Apple's board, being privy to Apple's plans and products while at the same time planning to compete with their "partner" by producing basically a clone of Apple's work. That is beyond a sh*tty thing to do to your "partner". Eric, should have "excused himself" from Apple's board long before, while stating that they were planning to compete "head to head" with Apple... but then again think of all of the intel he wouldn't have been able to gather if he did that.

An oft-repeated claim that doesn't even make sense.

First off, Jobs _NEVER_ accused Schmidt of stealing anything from board meetings.  He only went "thermonuclear" three years after the iPhone debut, when Google finally turned on multi-touch.   At that point, Jobs called Google copiers... as if Apple had invented multi-touch, which they did not.

Google bought Android back in mid-2005.  Suddenly Apple became very interested in making a phone as well and started creating the first iPod based UI test mules.  A year later, Apple _invites_ Schmidt to their board.   Who was spying on whom?

Finally, Schmidt was only in a few months' meetings (at which we don't even know if he was shown anything... heck, Apple didn't even show the iPhone to the CEO of Cingular until late December 2006) before the iPhone debut in 2007.   After that, anyone could copy it.  You sure didn't need someone invited to the Apple board to do that.

Quote:

Eric Schmidt was essentially a mole on Apple's board. Google wanted to be sure that their maps, search and YouTube was on Apple's devices so they could harvest user data AND gain insight on Apple's products and plans. Had Apple known what Google was planning, their is no way in hell that Eric Schmidt would have been allowed anywhere near the Apple campus let alone sit on their board. Steve was furious because he was betrayed by a snake posing as a partner.

It was symbiotic, as Apple needed Google's help.  By Nov 2006 the iPhone had no Maps app.  It sure didn't have cell location or YouTube, either.  They had to rush to add the Maps before the debut two months later, and that only happened because Google bent over backwards to help them.   No doubt Schmidt helped.   Can you imagine the debut without Maps?  It was a major feature.   So was YouTube and location services later that year.

Quote:

Apple kept the iPad secret from Eric which is why Google is still so far behind Apple in the Tablet space - they didn't have Apple to show them how it's done so they'd have something to clone.

Everyone looks at others' stuff.   For example, it took a 7" Samsung tablet to convince Apple and Jobs to do the iPad Mini.

post #20 of 150

With regard to the story, it's the same smoke and mirrors every company does. Appear to be pro-consumer in the media, while behind closed doors developing proprietary standards and trying to kill competitors. Claim that the other guy isn't open enough- because you want to steal their technology while outwardly appearing to be "for the common good."

It's a load of BS, and people like Larry Page know it. Companies exist to make money, and while that principle still applies, there will ALWAYS be competition, legal posturing and walled gardens.

Wake me up when Larry actually backs up his statement by opening up google IP for his competitors.

post #21 of 150

FFS, quit whining Larry and instead tell us your complete plan for making everything better.

... and I don't want to hear any shit where Google is the victim in all of this.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #22 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo63 View Post

Google's CEO was sitting on Apple's board, being privy to Apple's plans and products while at the same time planning to compete with their "partner" by producing basically a clone of Apple's work. 

So what you are saying is that Apple's board is incompetent, got it. Thanks for clearing that up. I was wondering.

post #23 of 150

Yet users keep wanting more Apple gear.

Know what, Larry? Users don't actually give a shit. All these company-driven declarations about what you *think* users really want, are just that: company-driven propaganda. 

THE PROOF IS IN THE PRODUCT. Apple products = insane demand, lineups, and the hunger for more. WITH or WITHOUT Google Maps and Streetview. 

Make Android suck a little less on tablets, and then *maybe* you can talk about what users actually want, you imbecile.  

post #24 of 150
starting to sound like Ballmer.... no?

I always thought competition was *Good* for the consumers? Maybe Mr Page would prefer a monopoly or a cartel? That would definitely help...... someone !!

maybe , now that Eric isnt a trojan horse on the board anymore, they cant "predict" what the next big thing is and are hoping a chance to glance over the shoulder at someone else's answer sheet... coggers (yes thats a legit expression in Ireland)
post #25 of 150

Google's basic business plan is:

1. rip off/scrape everybody else's stuff.

2. slap ads on it.

3. then give it all away for "free" to anyone.

4. then data mine everyone that takes any of it.

5. and sell them to advertisers.

but let's all be friends!

seriously, Google IS evil.

and now that it is being exorcised from iOS, it's whining about it too.

post #26 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoda View Post

Could this guy be a bigger putz? I'm sure these multi billion dollar companies always have the user in mind first.... what a crock of shit.

That's why he is known as "Larry, the Rat."  Looks like one, too. lol.gif

post #27 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

FFS, quit whining Larry and instead tell us your complete plan for making everything better.

If your curious about the answer, listen to the interview, or read the synopsis over at Fortune. This was just the smallest and least important "click-bait" snippet from it.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/11/larry-page/

post #28 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

First off, Jobs _NEVER_ accused Schmidt of stealing anything from board meetings.  He only went "thermonuclear" three years after the iPhone debut, when Google finally turned on multi-touch.   At that point, Jobs called Google copiers... as if Apple had invented multi-touch, which they did not.

Google bought Android back in mid-2005.  Suddenly Apple became very interested in making a phone as well and started creating the first iPod based UI test mules.  A year later, Apple _invites_ Schmidt to their board.   Who was spying on whom?

Finally, Schmidt was only in a few months' meetings (at which we don't even know if he was shown anything... heck, Apple didn't even show the iPhone to the CEO of Cingular until late December 2006) before the iPhone debut in 2007.   After that, anyone could copy it.  You sure didn't need someone invited to the Apple board to do that.

It was symbiotic, as Apple needed Google's help.  By Nov 2006 the iPhone had no Maps app.  It sure didn't have cell location or YouTube, either.  They had to rush to add the Maps before the debut two months later, and that only happened because Google bent over backwards to help them.   No doubt Schmidt helped.   Can you imagine the debut without Maps?  It was a major feature.   So was YouTube and location services later that year.

Everyone looks at others' stuff.   For example, it took a 7" Samsung tablet to convince Apple and Jobs to do the iPad Mini.

Wow, I'm surprised you could fit so many misrepresentations of facts into a single post. It's a nice little fairy tale you present, but...

First off, you are just making this part up. It's a nice little tale you are telling, but, frankly, I don't think you are in a position to have this knowledge. I doubt very much that Jobs was fine with Android until they turned on multitouch, and your little tale contradicts what I have heard. But, at least I'm not pretending I have the inside story. Please don't make stuff up and pass it off as facts. We already have another poster here who does that and we don't need another.

The "Android" Google bought in 2005 bears no resemblance to the Android we know today. The only thing they have in common is the name. So, this other OS called "Android", that Google bought in 2005, is entirely irrelevant to the discussion. I'm sure you know that, but thought that you could get away with saying it anyway. You didn't. So give up that story too.

Since this part of your fiction depends on the first, we'll just dismiss it as part of the tale.

This next paragraph is perhaps the most entertaining, a beautiful little "just so" story. But, the idea that Google did the heavy lifting so the iPhone could be born is beyond ludicrous. There would have been an iPhone even if Google had never existed. Google's only involvement was to steal everything they could from it. So enough of this fantasy as well.

Lastly, "Everyone looks at others' stuff" != "Everyone steals others' stuff". And, yes, you were certainly attempting to promote that equivalence. You failed, miserably.

If you're going to post here, try to be a little more honest, less disingenuous, than your posts to date. As I said above, we already have more than enough people coming here to spin fictitious versions of reality. We don't need any more of that.

post #29 of 150
Originally Posted by dillio View Post
I was always wondering why Eric S. was left to sit on Apple's board for such a long time after Android came out. Does anyone know? Why was he not booted immediately?

Knowing nothing about boards of directors as I do, I imagine it's something to do with an equivalent of tenure or simply a contract with a set term or something.

post #30 of 150

Yeah OK! Google! Just let everyone put ads across all your services for FREE, otherwise, you are hurting the users!

post #31 of 150

Oh, Larry... You are such a cut-up.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #32 of 150
Quote:

from Wired: It began back in 2002, soon after the iPod, when Jobs realized that the convergence of mobile phones and music players would force Apple to get into the mobile phone business.

yes, they would show a third party an internal device before they show the Board. I don't know if you know anything about Boards, but they are involved at a high level at what the business goals are. I assume an iPhone fitted that criteria.

Quote:

can you imagine it without Maps? i know ,so tragic because other phones had maps at the time, what no?

post #33 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

2. slap ads on it.

This!

Google is ad based so its giving away software and dumping hardware at cost.  They are market destroyers, if you let them be they will bankupt the entire tech industry. In fact it may be already too late.  And google is the ultimate big brother, its spies on everything you do from emails to web searches to GPS location.

post #34 of 150

"That's something I try not to do," Page said. "I don't try to rally my company in that way because I think that if you're looking at somebody else, you're looking at what they do now, and that's not how again you stay two or three steps ahead."

I think Page missed Google I/O 2010.

post #35 of 150
Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post
…I think that if you're looking at somebody else

Hypocrisy in its purest form.

post #36 of 150
Quote:

2. slap ads on it.

I just exorcised from iOS Google Search...I'm trying DuckDuckgo App and changed the default Search engine to Bing. F Google!

I don't like anything MS on my devices but I prefer MS to Google for some reason right now! :)

post #37 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

If your curious about the answer, listen to the interview, or read the synopsis over at Fortune. This was just the smallest and least important "click-bait" snippet from it.

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2012/12/11/larry-page/

I really don't see anything more in here [your link] than above about how he plans to make things better between the companies.

Saying this, "We thought that the mobile experiences really needed a rethink, right? That was correct. It's been very successful.", makes me feel he is just goading Apple to respond.

Nah... Larry is just whining with no real solutions for the real world... he doesn't really want to get along, unless he's in complete control, of course.

[I actually see twinges of megalomania in that conversation]

Edited by island hermit - 12/11/12 at 10:38am
na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #38 of 150
Quote:

2. slap ads on it.

Pretty much.

I love some of google services, mainly because its usually the best "free" option in most cases.  But there's nothing "friendly" about the way the do business.

post #39 of 150
Re: "the three biggest technology companies"

Really? Larry thinks that Amazon is a technology company?
Wall Street seems to think it's a retail company. That's why Amazon's P/E is so big.
Wall Street understands retail. Technology not so much.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #40 of 150
Larry: If you pay the other companies the money you make off them, I am sure that they will be more open to you. What does Apple or Amazon ask of you?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google CEO Larry Page says rivalries with Apple & Amazon hurt users