or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Michigan Legislature Approves Right-to-Work Law, Thuggery Ensues

Michigan Legislature Approves Right-to-Work Law, Thuggery Ensues

post #1 of 10

Michigan is about to become the 24th state in the Union to have a "Right to Work" law.  These laws ban the practice of requiring either union membership, or remittance of a "fair bargaining fee" due to the benefits one gets as a result of the union's bargaining.  

Predictably, the Michigan Union Zombie Patrol is out in full force.  Some are even threatening violence.   Teachers are conducting a sick-out, forcing districts to close.  There are reports of sit ins, pepper spray and arrests in Lansing.   

Let's be clear, this is not like the Wisconsin law, which actually limited employees' rights in terms of collective bargaining.  Instead, it simply bans forced union membership and dues.  While I understand that there may be some legitimate opposition to this (people getting the benefits of bargaining without paying dues, taking less pay/undercutting union members), it seems clear that the explosive reaction has more to do with the unions being unhappy about those dollars not flowing in quite as quickly.  

As some of you know, I'm in a union (PA is not a right to work state).  I happen to fully support this law.  Employees have the right to organize if they wish, but they should not be forced to join a union and/or pay dues if they don't wish to.  It's just that simple.   

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #2 of 10

Wait, so elections have consequences, but not in states where Democrats don't win right?

Snyder won with 58% of the vote and increase the size of his party in the legislature. He clearly has a mandate to do whatever he wants right?

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #3 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Instead, it simply bans forced union membership and dues.  While I understand that there may be some legitimate opposition to this (people getting the benefits of bargaining without paying dues, taking less pay/undercutting union members), it seems clear that the explosive reaction has more to do with the unions being unhappy about those dollars not flowing in quite as quickly. 

I don't see those as legitimate opposition at all. There ought to be freedom in employment. If someone happens to benefit as a result of the union's negotiation with an employer, that's what we call a "positive externality." Just as my neighbors might enjoy the beauty of a tree or rose bush I plant in my yard. As to non-union employees under-cutting union members: Well, that's how a competitive market works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

As some of you know, I'm in a union (PA is not a right to work state).  I happen to fully support this law.  Employees have the right to organize if they wish, but they should not be forced to join a union and/or pay dues if they don't wish to.  It's just that simple.   

Yep.

It's actually amusing seeing how some of the press is reporting this (one headline had this as "restricting union rights") WTF?!

As for the implications of violence and the pouting (sick out and sit ins). This is typical. Violence has long been a tactic of many unions. I'm waiting for the good President to denounce such rhetoric and threats.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Wait, so elections have consequences, but not in states where Democrats don't win right?

Snyder won with 58% of the vote and increase the size of his party in the legislature. He clearly has a mandate to do whatever he wants right?

Democrats ran a candidate known as the "Angry Mayor" for gov'. A hard left unionist. I pointed out to a leftist unionist friend that "elections have consequences" and maybe running someone better than the "angry mayor" would have been a good idea. He unfriended me on facebook 1frown.gif

I would hope the MI democrats would see this as blow back from their failed "angry mayor" run and failed prop' 2 attempt. But instead it will just be angry rants about "racist, tea bagger, republikkans, Koch borothers, ..., blah fucking blah". 

post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I don't see those as legitimate opposition at all. There ought to be freedom in employment. If someone happens to benefit as a result of the union's negotiation with an employer, that's what we call a "positive externality." Just as my neighbors might enjoy the beauty of a tree or rose bush I plant in my yard. As to non-union employees under-cutting union members: Well, that's how a competitive market works.

I don't mean to imply that I agree with those concerns by calling them legitimate.  I just mean that they are at least points to consider and debate.  I happen to think the freedom to not be forced to join a union and/or pay dues trumps those concerns.  

Quote:

Yep.

It's actually amusing seeing how some of the press is reporting this (one headline had this as "restricting union rights") WTF?!

As for the implications of violence and the pouting (sick out and sit ins). This is typical. Violence has long been a tactic of many unions. I'm waiting for the good President to denounce such rhetoric and threats.

Oh, it's even worse:  Stephen Crowder (the guy behind the Lena Dunham parody) was assaulted today.   The mob tried to pull down a large tent put up by Americans for Prosperity.  The video clearly shows him simply asking "what is wrong with Right to Work?"  Many responded aggressively.  He was not provoking the confrontation at all.  There is now a $6,000 reward offered (by Twitter users, from what I gather) for info leading to the arrest of the perpetrator.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorJack View Post

Democrats ran a candidate known as the "Angry Mayor" for gov'. A hard left unionist. I pointed out to a leftist unionist friend that "elections have consequences" and maybe running someone better than the "angry mayor" would have been a good idea. He unfriended me on facebook 1frown.gif

I would hope the MI democrats would see this as blow back from their failed "angry mayor" run and failed prop' 2 attempt. But instead it will just be angry rants about "racist, tea bagger, republikkans, Koch borothers, ..., blah fucking blah". 

Yeah, I've had a few of those myself.  

post #6 of 10

Wow, the lefties on the board are avoiding this one like the plague.

They're always at the ready to discuss Sarah Palin's imaginary gun sight targets or call for more gun laws when somebody gets shot.

But where are they when left-wing violence occurs and is caught on tape?

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Wow, the lefties on the board are avoiding this one like the plague.

They're always at the ready to discuss Sarah Palin's imaginary gun sight targets or call for more gun laws when somebody gets shot.

But where are they when left-wing violence occurs and is caught on tape?

Yeah, I noticed.  It seems that not even they can defend what's going on.  It's one thing to oppose Right to Work.  It's another to condone, defend or make excuses for the absolutely barbaric behavior we are seeing out of the Left on this one.   I'm sure that someone will pull a Lanny Davis though...condemning the actions while claiming there have been similar incidents with Tea Partiers.   

post #8 of 10

BR?  tonton?  Hands?  

<crickets> 

post #9 of 10

post #10 of 10

Both are excellent pieces.  If anything, Right-to-Work states are doing better in terms of their economies and job growth.  The second article made the point that unions can negotiate members-only contracts (which do not apply to non-members) under the terms of the NLRA.  I did not realize this.  My feeling was that even if this were not true, the issue of choice to join trumped that concern.  Apparently, the concern is not even valid.  

Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Michigan Legislature Approves Right-to-Work Law, Thuggery Ensues