or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WSJ: Apple testing 'several' HDTV designs with Asian manufacturers

WSJ: Apple testing 'several' HDTV designs with Asian manufacturers

post #1 of 61
The Wall Street Journal on Wednesday became the latest publication to chime in on the much-rumored Apple television, saying the company's most recent efforts have focused on a collaboration with struggling Japanese electronics maker Sharp.

Apple television

According to the Journal's supply chain sources, Apple has been testing "a few designs" for a large format HDTV, though the publication warns that the Cupertino, Calif., company may not actually build the device.

"It isn't a formal project yet. It is still in the early stage of testing," said one source.

Apple has reportedly been working on prototype designs for years, but the recent collaboration with Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., better known by its trade name Foxconn, and Sharp may signal that the TV is edging closer to production.

The rumors are in line with previous reports regarding Foxconn Chairman Terry Gou's investment in Sharp's Sakai LCD plant, which netted Hon Hai a 37.6 percent stake in the facility's operator. In November, Apple too was said to have invested some $2.3 billion to keep Sharp alive as the firm is a key supplier of displays used in iDevices and other products.

In an interview with Brian Williams of NBC's Rock Center, Apple chief executive Tim Cook stoked the "iTV" fire when he was asked about the company's next big thing.

"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Cook said. "It's an area of intense interest. I can't say more than that."

Hints of an Apple-built TV have been circulating for years, and reports have claimed inside knowledge that the final product will be anything from a full-fledged HDTV to a revolutionary set-top cloud-enabled cable box, but sources have yet to offer tangible evidence in support of their claims.
post #2 of 61

Meh... Apple will take Sharp's tech all for themselves or make that company stronger than ever(IGZO. And it goes both ways).

The more "sharps" out there, the worst for samsung. The worst for samsung, the best for Apple. The worst for samsung, the best for good and nice people.

post #3 of 61
@pedromartins: because obviously, everyone at Apple/Sharp is good and nice, and nobody at Samsung is.

Makes perfect sense.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/07/16/7-high-school-girls-are-kickstarting-their-awa...

post #4 of 61

This is starting to take shape very nicely.

Sharp owns 29% of Loewe AG, which makes high end LCD TVs for sharp.

http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Business-profile?s=LOEX:GER

Expect some very cool physical designs with iOS software integrated.

Everything will be streamed.  No more UHF / VHF antennas.

Time will tell.

Edited by AppleSauce007 - 12/12/12 at 3:54am
post #5 of 61
Saw this on the Verge with the caption: I found this in a bar lol.gif

post #6 of 61

Samsung parts: No.

Sharp & Loewe: Yes

Apple needs to get as far away from Samsung as possible.

The sooner the better.

Time will tell.

post #7 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

{image 1,2}

Time will tell.

Frankly those TV designs are hideous, no idea why they come up every thread, so I hope not. Apple is better than that. The speaker designs aren't that special, that's pretty much what everyone does these days. Time will tell? Thanks Cpt. Obvious.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #8 of 61
Have patience, you'll find out
post #9 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

What is the use of an Apple TV set when all you need is a $99 set-top box updated once a year?!?
I doubt the $99 box will go away but people are still buying TV's.
post #10 of 61
I'd love it if Apple had some big announcement (TV or otherwise) during the week of CES. Steal the thunder from Samsung and their Galaxy whoring. 1smoking.gif
post #11 of 61
TV or not time will tell.
post #12 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Frankly those TV designs are hideous, no idea why they come up every thread, so I hope not. Apple is better than that. The speaker designs aren't that special, that's pretty much what everyone does these days. Time will tell? Thanks Cpt. Obvious.

Really?  What is so hideous about the designs?  

Take a look at http://www.loewe.tv  Some of the models even resemble the new iMacs.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think they are very cool and beautiful.

Time will tell.

Edited by AppleSauce007 - 12/12/12 at 6:06am
post #13 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"It isn't a formal project yet. It is still in the early stage of testing," said one source.

It sure sounds like a formal project to me. Perhaps they meant it isn't a formal product at this point.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/12/12 at 3:21pm

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #14 of 61

How many times are you people going to use this one sad image of a thunderbolt display to illustrate the TV articles? 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple television

Given the new iMacs we just saw, there is no way in hell Apple's new TV will be as chunky as this.  

It's also extremely unlikely to have a pedestal or be (apparently) 20" or so in size. 

post #15 of 61
Quote:

Really?  What is so hideous about the designs? ... I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think they are very cool and beautiful.  ...

It's fairly obvious that *you* like them as you keep posting the pictures and links over and over again.  

You post so many links to Loewe TV's I think you must own the factory.

Aside from being sort of overly gimmicky, one of the things that I don't like about these designs is that they basically take over the whole room.  

Personally, I like to have a TV in my living room, not live in my "TV room."

post #16 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

The "Engineering" section reveals it as an obvious fake.  Funny though.  1smile.gif

post #17 of 61
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Obvious fake; an Apple executive wouldn't be able to write "Samsung" without stick figures shooting the word with crudely drawn weapons.

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
It's also extremely unlikely to have a pedestal or be (apparently) 20" or so in size. 

You cannot possibly glean size from this image. I think I've said that to someone before.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #18 of 61
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post
4K Retina TV. 

SHV is retina. 4K's just big.

They need something besides the interface to differentiate themselves.

No, that's all they need.

post #19 of 61
Quote:

Because everyone has the desire to spend the time and money to mount it on a wall... thats un-apple like because it needs to just work out of the box with very minimal setup.  A stand makes that a heck of a lot easier.  I would bet however, that the stand would be removable for the option to wall mount the device.

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

W. Pauli, winner of the Nobel prize in physics, said that all scientific methods fail when questions of origin are involved.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z6kgvhG3AkI

http://www.answersingenesis.org...

post #20 of 61
Quote:

Time will tell.

The problem is that IMO, there aren't that many people who would give up either over-the-air or cable/satellite and those who would are probably satisified streaming to their computer or portable device.   If you have one primary TV, you want it to do everything.   And since an Apple TV would probably be priced higher than traditional TVs, I believe that consumers would balk at losing functionality.   That also includes the ability to use the TV with a full-fledged multichannel audio system, although only a subset of consumers actually do that.   And that's aside from the quality issues of compressed streaming formats vs. live broadcast. 

If Apple does build a set, it has to be more than embedding Apple TV and removing functionality.    It has to create a whole new UI that makes it incredibly easy to find any kind of content:  whether on another device, via Cable/Satellite, over the air or streaming from the network.    Many TVs already have much of this functionality, but the UI leaves much to be desired.    Account management of network services is another issue.    Apple would need to unify that (assuming that they provide access to services they don't provide, like Pandora, Amazon, etc.)

The other issue is that among higher-end users, the PQ demands for a TV are higher than that for a computer (with the possible exception of those who do professional photograph or video on the computer).   So where "black crush" might not be much of an issue for a computer screen, it's a big issue for TVs.  And while the Sharp Elite line with technology adopted from Pioneer Kuro sets are considered high end, they have a big problem with color (I forget the exact issue, but I think the have a blue push that can't be fixed with alignment procedures.)

Edited by zoetmb - 12/12/12 at 9:33am
post #21 of 61
Well-designed TV with Siri and iTunes built-in. That would be rad, looking at an Apple 50" and saying, "Siri, rent Blade Runner and play it now."

And those TV mockups look like more Samsung ugliness. Stop it.
post #22 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I concur. Those Leowe design is hideous and they have always been. We are not living in the 70s anymore. Please turn that picture off. Urgghh!
post #23 of 61
Quote:

Time will tell.

Quit doing this crap.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #24 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

What is the use of an Apple TV set when all you need is a $99 set-top box updated once a year?!?

Box won't get an App Store. Box + TV requires two remotes. Apple has less control. Still need to navigate clunky TV UI or remote to switch to Apple TV. Extra cables to deal with. Not a full integrated experience.

I'm surprised people are still saying this. And I expect Apple to continue selling the Apple TV box, separate to their TV.
post #25 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 
Time will tell.
Loewe stock holder per chance?
post #26 of 61
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Box + TV requires two remotes.

I've told you a few times how this isn't the case.

post #27 of 61
Explain it, again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I've told you a few times how this isn't the case.
post #28 of 61
Explain it, again.

A new Apple Remote model could control the volume and power of any model of TV. And with all your content coming through the Apple TV, you wouldn't need the panel itself to do anything else.

Hold Menu to shut down the Apple TV. And if you have your TV set up with the remote, doing that will shut off the TV at the same time. Hold it again and both come on at the same time.

post #29 of 61

Im so sick of seeing that iMac as an example.  Can't they at least come up with a generic LCD TV with the Apple TV menu?  Or even the new iMac would be nice.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #30 of 61
Quote:

It's fairly obvious that *you* like them as you keep posting the pictures and links over and over again.  

You post so many links to Loewe TV's I think you must own the factory.

Aside from being sort of overly gimmicky, one of the things that I don't like about these designs is that they basically take over the whole room.  

Personally, I like to have a TV in my living room, not live in my "TV room."

Well, there are different size TVs for different size rooms.  Pick the one that is right for your room.

The reason I post the pictures is because I believe Apple is working with Loewe on the TVs.

1.  Apple is partnering with Sharp.

2.  Sharp owns 30% of Loewe.

3.  You may remember a rumor that Apple was buying Loewe.  

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/12/apple_reportedly_in_talks_to_acquire_german_hdtv_maker_loewe.html

4,  Apple can certainly enhance the physical designs and functionality of the Loewe TVs.

Time will tell.

post #31 of 61
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post
Im so sick of seeing that iMac as an example.

Not an iMac.

Take note, eBayers; many people here can easily be swindled.

post #32 of 61
Quote:

A new Apple Remote model could control the volume and power of any model of TV. And with all your content coming through the Apple TV, you wouldn't need the panel itself to do anything else.

Hold Menu to shut down the Apple TV. And if you have your TV set up with the remote, doing that will shut off the TV at the same time. Hold it again and both come on at the same time.

Explain how it works. Explain how you'd set it up. Explain how my parents would do this.
post #33 of 61
Quote:

Well, there are different size TVs for different size rooms.  Pick the one that is right for your room.
The reason I post the pictures is because I believe Apple is working with Loewe on the TVs.

1.  Apple is partnering with Sharp.
2.  Sharp owns 30% of Loewe.
3.  You may remember a rumor that Apple was buying Loewe.  
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/12/apple_reportedly_in_talks_to_acquire_german_hdtv_maker_loewe.html
4,  Apple can certainly enhance the physical designs and functionality of the Loewe TVs.

Time will tell.

Time will tell.

This forum software sucks balls. I wanted to link to a 9 to 5 Mac story from a while back, which debunks the whole thing, but the forum software won't let me.

It does this nonsense:
http://************/

I miss you VBulletin (5). Badly.
Edited by Ireland - 12/12/12 at 1:38pm
post #34 of 61
Explain how it works. Explain how you'd set it up. Explain how my parents would do this.

Hold Menu, tap volume up until the volume goes up. Then let go of Menu. It's now programmed for the TV.

post #35 of 61
Desktop Computers will be replaced with HD screen on a wall. TV will be just one App

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

Originally Posted by Rickers - 2014

Cook & Co will bury Apple.  They can only ride Steve's ghost for so long.  Steve == Apple and Apple == Steve.  

post #36 of 61
Quote:

Hold Menu, tap volume up until the volume goes up. Then let go of Menu. It's now programmed for the TV.

WTF ?

post #37 of 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Desktop Computers will be replaced with HD screen on a wall. TV will be just one App

Two completely different use case. No time frame given.

post #38 of 61
WTF ?

What don't you get? Rather, what do you need to get?

It's cycling through the codes used by the various brands of television. The user doesn't need to know that; the user couldn't care less about that.

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post
Two completely different use case. No time frame given.

They said that in the '90s and it hasn't happened yet. "Eventually" seems to be the idea there.

The only thing I want in my wall is a clock. I want a clock that has numbers in Baskerville that blends seamlessly with my wall color. Black numbers during the day, white lit numbers at night, all I see is the numbers, no frame, nothing else. Low power, maybe something similar to e-ink, but blends with my wall so it's just numbers there. 

Basically this, which I fell in love with, but it's 7-bar, which I abhor.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 12/12/12 at 2:03pm

post #39 of 61
I wish Apple would build a full home theater system, and not get involved in the screen. As we know, whatever they release will be better next year. I would hate to see my $3000 60 inch screen go obsolete in 2-3 years. I would be more inclined to upgrade a box, and so would many others. Apple thrives on those upgrade cycles.
post #40 of 61
Originally Posted by Applecation View Post
I wish Apple would build a full home theater system, and not get involved in the screen.

24 speakers, 24 power cables, 24 wires in between them all? Bah.

Sure, AirPlay audio, but unless they get a working wireless power system, I don't see it.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › WSJ: Apple testing 'several' HDTV designs with Asian manufacturers