or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung ad pokes fun at Apple Maps' Australian mix-up

Samsung ad pokes fun at Apple Maps' Australian mix-up

post #1 of 78
In another reactive advertising move, Samsung has put together an elaborate showcase in Australia that takes a jab at Apple over a recent Victoria police announcement which warned travelers against using iOS Maps to navigate to the city of Mildura.

Samsung Ad
Source: CNET Australia

While not as produced as the company's usual anti-Apple television campaigns, Samsung's newest effort, spotted by CNET Australia, can be considered more of an installation than a traditional ad as it involves a number of set pieces including an actual off-road vehicle.

As seen above, the setup is clearly aimed at Apple's latest mapping fiasco with what CNET Australia calls a "a rather lost looking four-wheel drive" next to a sign that reads, "Oops, Should have got a Samsung GALAXY S III. Get navigation you can trust."

On Monday, police in Victoria issued a release on its website saying that a number of motoroists had become stranded in the remote regions of a national park due to incorrect information provided by Apple's Maps app. The problem was fixed within hours, and while no official word has been given as to the source of the erroneous data, The Guardian speculates the cause was a double listing for Mildura in the Australian Gazetteer.

Smartphone mapping apps have come under increasing scrutiny as the proliferation of connected mobile devices extends ever wider. Earlier on Wednesday, Australian police in the town of Colac voiced concern over issues with Google Maps, which reportedly directed drivers down a one-way road not intended for heavy traffic.

As with all technology, GPS-based navigation solutions are not infallible and caution should always be exercised when taking advice from any system, regardless of its manufacturer.
post #2 of 78
Does anyone honestly believe this wasn't all staged? All too convenient.
post #3 of 78

Given the Google Maps news today, they will no doubt regret this. Idiots

post #4 of 78
I've thought several of Samsung's ads were pretty good. Not because they will sway Apple customers but because I think they would sway Android customers who are unsure which Android-based device to purchase. However this attempt is rubbish.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #5 of 78
So the new warning about similar Googlemaps screwups from the same sources must sting just a tad.

"Police in the town of Colac, west of Melbourne, say that issues with Google Maps can put users' lives at risks when driving along Great Ocean Road and in souther Otways, according to a report from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Google Maps has reportedly sent drivers down Wild Dog Road, a one-way road not intended for heavy traffic"

Or it would had Sammie any shame....
post #6 of 78

If the people who "got lost/stranded" had the vehicle and gear shown in the photo above, there would not have been an issue.

post #7 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Does anyone honestly believe this wasn't all staged? All too convenient.

Yes, I don't think it was staged.

post #8 of 78
Get the breast pump cuz AppleInsider is lactating over this story!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #9 of 78
I say we all stop mapping Australia until the whole thing blows over. Agreed?

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #10 of 78
Stay classy, Samsung.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #11 of 78
Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

We mean people other than those who knew it was.

Originally Posted by Marvin

The only thing more insecure than Android’s OS is its userbase.

post #12 of 78
Quote:

Of course, anyone that comes here at least once a week already knows that.

You are, let's say... "naive".

post #13 of 78

Samsung gives Australian users a free subscription to NAVIGON maps, so Samsung what's wrong with Google maps?

Went to an appointment in Sydney last night, I cut and pasted the address I received in an SMS into the search field, while I was on a train.

Nokia maps was a fail, totally.

Apple maps worked, flicked to 3D view and went to the building that looked like this:-

Round the corner from the Apple and Samsung stores.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #14 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

If the people who "got lost/stranded" had the vehicle and gear shown in the photo above, there would not have been an issue.

True, however nobody would envision needing that gear when traveling to Mildura on major routes, which is what they would have expected to be doing and what they would have expected a navigation app would suggest.

post #15 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We mean people other than those who knew it was.

I am not surprised you would subscribe to a ludicrous conspiracy theory.

post #16 of 78
I am not surprised you would subscribe to a ludicrous conspiracy theory.

"Fortunate happenstance" seems to line up a little too well with "conspiracy" these days.

Don't you think?

post #17 of 78

Raise your hand if you didn't see this coming. I'm only surprised it took so long. It's fair game. After all, Apple certainly made fun of Microsoft.

post #18 of 78

Right.  So when you get off the highway, that should of been red flag #1. Then when you enter a national park should of been red flag #2.  When road turns into a dirt path and then sand, should of been red flag #3.  

I always have extra food and water in my car and I live in a major metropolitan area.  And I always have a road atlas (paper) in the car.  And I check where I'm going first.  So I would notice that major road leads to my destination and I shouldn't be getting off said major road.  Plus I usually read road signs too.  

And if I'm driving through the Australian outback, I would double up on everything. Nature can be scary. 

post #19 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've thought several of Samsung's ads were pretty good. Not because they will sway Apple customers but because I think they would sway Android customers who are unsure which Android-based device to purchase. However this attempt is rubbish.

I dislike it for the same reason I disliked the various generations of Mac vs PC ads. I'd rather see products advertised on their own merits.

post #20 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

What happened with Google Maps today?  I didn't see anything yet.

Apple did fix the problem is what i read.

post #21 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung gives Australian users a free subscription to NAVIGON maps, so Samsung what's wrong with Google maps?

Went to an appointment in Sydney last night, I cut and pasted the address I received in an SMS into the search field, while I was on a train.

Nokia maps was a fail, totally.

Apple maps worked, flicked to 3D view and went to the building that looked like this:-

Round the corner from the Apple and Samsung stores.

What Apple should do is remove all Samsung and Microsoft Store locations from being seen on the 3D maps and have a big sign that says.  The place is not considered important location to visit, too fragmented.

post #22 of 78

Don't be childish Samscum.  Wait for the days Google ditches you for Motorola!

post #23 of 78
Quote:

"Fortunate happenstance" seems to line up a little too well with "conspiracy" these days.

Don't you think?

No I don't.  I think we just have real world events that happened as reported and which a big fuss was made of because the name Apple was involved.  I don't think ASIO, the CIA, KGB, Aliens or Samsung had anything to do with it whatsoever.

The police in Mildura said

Quote:
In the past 30 days, six people have been stranded after turning into the park via a dirt road the Maps application recommends, Mildura police inspector Simon Clemence said. Some were able to get out on their own but others needed to be rescued by police, he said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/isolated-bad-apple-maps-directions-lead-to-desert-20121211-2b6v2.html

So what you are suggesting is that all the reported incidents were staged, including the ones who didn't need rescuing.  Furthermore, the Police didn't notice a pattern or anything to suggest the incidents were faked or linked?  The Police initially tried to contact Apple in Australia about getting the problem fixed, before they made a public statement.  Had they received a positive response, they probably never would have made a public statement and we would be none the wiser.

post #24 of 78
Given my limited attention span for adds all I read was 'Oops' and the Samsung logo.
post #25 of 78
Is this new for Samsung but could they get lives and do something besides "hahaha Apple is having problems" we'll at least Apple fixes them. Maybe they need to fix there problems.
post #26 of 78

While I'm not a fan of Samsung's products(with the exception of their TVs), their ads are pretty amusing.

post #27 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Of course, anyone that comes here at least once a week already knows that.

You are, let's say... "naive".

I'll take that as a compliment from someone with a roo loose in the top paddock.

post #28 of 78
Quote:

Yes, I don't think.

Fixed that for you.

Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
Apple managed the astonishing feat of getting the equivalent of a personal computer into the hands of everybody from eight to eighty year olds, and did so while providing absolutely no instructions...
post #29 of 78
I don't think ASIO, the CIA, KGB, Aliens or Samsung had anything to do with it whatsoever.

*cough*

And that's not even calling to attention the fact that you consider the CIA, aliens, and Samsung to be on the same level. 

post #30 of 78
Apple should create an ad of a map leading to the "best smartphone" with the follower being guided to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the ad ends saying, "Apple is working hard to correct errant information!"

A new "corrected" map slide pops up showing the real "best smartphone", the iPhone 5...
/
/
/

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #31 of 78
Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post
Apple should create an ad of a map leading to the "best smartphone" with the follower being guided to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the ad ends saying, "Apple is working hard to correct errant information!"
A new "corrected" map slide pops up showing the real "best smartphone", the iPhone 5...

Showing competitors = no-no.

post #32 of 78
Quote:

You don't think it was staged despite Samsung having a sign made that they put out in front of the off-road vehicle in camping gear in an area that isn't for camping? Let me repeat, THEY HAD A SIGN MADE!

post #33 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Indeed. Basically all the folks that were stranded were due to flat tires, bad cell reception etc. which might have happened even if they were going the right way

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #34 of 78
Quote:

Showing competitors = no-no.

Gives the impression your stuff has nothing worth talking about.

post #35 of 78

I think Apple should just roll with this.

There's truly nothing more gorgeous available.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
THEY HAD A SIGN MADE!

I'm absolutely terrible at image editing, and yet I can whip together all these images of mine that I've done over the years in just a few minutes.

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying.

post #36 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't think it was staged despite Samsung having a sign made that they put out in front of the off-road vehicle in camping gear in an area that isn't for camping? Let me repeat, THEY HAD A SIGN MADE!

I think we are at cross purposes.  Of course the vehicle, and sign were staged.

I have been referring to the assertion - following on from the previous thread - that the whole business of people getting lost and having to be rescued was engineered and that the Victorian Police have been duped.

post #37 of 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

You beat me to it. Crowing about this too early really makes them look like the unbelievable babies they are.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #38 of 78
Dear Samsung:

Give me a reason to buy your products that doesn't make me feel like a 13 year old.
post #39 of 78

If anything, I hope this lights a fire under the butts of the people working on Apple Maps.  It's obvious that our own input isn't being looked at and fixed.  I know everyone's quick to shout out "anecdotal" when we say that maps in our own areas are messed up and not accurate.  I've used the "Report A Problem" feature many times to point out very obvious errors.  Has Apple fixed even a single one of them?  No.  People who drive the same roads day in and day out know when a road goes through a house on the map, or it shows a median when there isn't one, and it's a one way street.  I've even reported a road that goes through a thirty foot high berm on the map when it if fact, does not.  

Apple needs to start listening to us and start fixing these issues promptly.  Hell, I can even send them pictures showing them they are wrong from my iPhone.  These aren't POI issues, they are actual street issues.  I understand that Australia has been getting all of the attention here, but the team at Apple needs to be more proactive with changes than they have been.  I work for the Washington State Department of Transportation.  I deal with traffic and roads every day.  It might be wise to take the word of someone with their boots on the ground.  But so far, I haven't seen changes by Apple on a single one of the issues I've reported.

Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
post #40 of 78
Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post
If anything, I hope this lights a fire under the butts of the people working on Google Maps.  It's obvious that our own input isn't being looked at and fixed.  I know everyone's quick to shout out "anecdotal" when we say that maps in our own areas are messed up and not accurate.  I've used the "Report A Problem" feature many times to point out very obvious errors.  Has Google fixed even a single one of them?  No.  People who drive the same roads day in and day out know when a road goes through a house on the map, or it shows a median when there isn't one, and it's a one way street.  I've even reported a road that goes through a thirty foot high berm on the map when it if fact, does not.  

Google needs to start listening to us and start fixing these issues promptly.  Hell, I can even send them pictures showing them they are wrong from my iPhone.  These aren't POI issues, they are actual street issues.  I understand that Australia has been getting all of the attention here, but the team at Google needs to be more proactive with changes than they have been.  I work for the Washington State Department of Transportation.  I deal with traffic and roads every day.  It might be wise to take the word of someone with their boots on the ground.  But so far, I haven't seen changes by Google on a single one of the issues I've reported.

Just dropped it into TextEdit and hit "replace all".

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung ad pokes fun at Apple Maps' Australian mix-up