or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad

Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad

post #1 of 133
Just hours after reports surfaced that Google would be releasing a standalone iOS app powered by its expansive mapping service, the official Google Maps app made its way to the App Store and is available for download now.

Google Maps iOS
Source: Google via iTunes

The wait for Google's official Google Maps app is over as the company released the free app late Wednesday night, complete with turn-by-turn navigation, Street View and transit information.

Many have been awaiting the standalone app's release after the erstwhile Google Maps-powered software previously found in iOS was removed in iOS 6. With the most recent operating system, Apple replaced the Google Maps-powered Maps app with a proprietary solution that leverages location data from TomTom, among other navigation companies.

Longtime iOS users will feel at home with Google's new mapping app, as the overall look is much the same as the legacy Maps and the Google Maps web client. However, the user interface is completely redesigned and takes on cues from other Google iOS apps like YouTube and Gmail. Multi-touch gestures are supported with all features available with the swipe of a thumb.

Making a comeback to the native iOS app is Street View, the lack of which was the source of complaints heard from a number of iDevice users. In place of the Google-built feature, Apple implemented a 3D tool dubbed Flyover, which provides a bird's-eye view of certain large metropolitan areas around the world. While not as comprehensive as Street View, Flyover does offer a unique and detailed look at a supported city with fairly quick load times compared to other competing services.

From Google Maps' official blog:

The world around us is constantly changing and, thanks to feedback from you, we make tens of thousands of daily updates to keep Google Maps accurate and comprehensive. Here?s a helpful hint for the new app: if you see something off, simply shake your phone to send us feedback.

Alongside the rollout, Google also released the Google Maps SDK for iOS, to help developers integrate the mapping service into their own third-party apps. The SDK will also allow app makers to bypass Apple's own iOS Maps, which was met with criticism when it launched in September.

Earlier on Wednesday, sources told All Things D that the internet search giant would be rolling out Google Maps for iOS later tonight, but offered no details regarding the product.

Google Maps weighs in at 6.7 MB and can be downloaded through the App Store.

From the App Store description:
Search
  • Find addresses, places and businesses around the world with Google local search.
  • Discover places to eat, drink, shop and play, with ratings and local reviews.
  • Sign in to sync your searches, directions, and favorite places between your computer and your phone.

• Directions
  • Get voice guided, turn-by-turn driving directions.
  • Find your way by train, bus, subway or walking directions.
  • Access live traffic information in cities across the world.

• Street View and imagery
  • View 360-degree panoramas of places around the globe with Street View.
  • See inside more than 100,000 businesses worldwide.
  • View high resolution satellite imagery of locations around the world.

• Simple and easy to use
  • An entirely new Google Maps experience on your iPhone.
  • Newly designed and streamlined interface for even easier navigation of your world.
  • Use gestures to explore the map and browse results.
post #2 of 133

"The item is no longer available"

post #3 of 133

Same here.  Has anyone actually been able to download it?

post #4 of 133
Pulled already!!!!
post #5 of 133

Not in Australia

Update, now it is.
Edited by hill60 - 12/12/12 at 11:39pm
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #6 of 133

Just tried it on my iPhone 5; it renders faster and general outperforms the native Maps for me. Satellite view looks better as well. Will have to wait until tomorrow, however, to see how the turn-by-turn navigation compares.

Quote:
Google Maps for iOS is the best-designed maps app on any platform and challenges even Google Maps on Android for speed. That sounds like hyperbole, but on the iPhone 5 the new Google Maps app seems faster and is definitely better-designed than even Google Maps on Android. If Apple CEO Tim Cook is looking for examples of how to do a maps app right on the iPhone — or on any platform — Google has provided the answer.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760770/google-maps-iphone-available-features-navigation-transit

post #7 of 133
Not available and not needed. Apple maps work just fine.
post #8 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingron View Post

Not available and not needed. Apple maps work just fine.

I agree, though it is good to have options.  I felt the whole MapGate was way overblown and the problems are rapidly being fixed.  Plus Apple Maps does have gorgeous UI.

post #9 of 133

Live and installed for me. Quick 2 minute test proves to be awesome. Fast, fluid, turn by turn all there, multi angel rotation works, no complaints. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #10 of 133

Seems to be functional enough. It is not a universal app, so it looks poor on an iPad. Vectorized data, so zooming seems to be OK. I haven't been able to find street view.

post #11 of 133
Why couldn't Google just have done turn-by-turn before the fight? They ended up doing it anyway!

Btw, not available on App Store.
Hard-Core.
Hard-Core.
post #12 of 133

Downloaded it just seconds ago at 23.41 in Montreal without problem

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

iMac mid 2011 • 27 in • 3,4 GHz Core i7 • 32 GB RAM • AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2GB VRAM

post #13 of 133
No longer available
post #14 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Seems to be functional enough. It is not a universal app, so it looks poor on an iPad. Vectorized data, so zooming seems to be OK. I haven't been able to find street view.

This is for iPhone only as of now. AI has the title wrong.

"but sadly it's not designed to work on the iPad. Google says that will come later. Graf also said that the goal is to maintain a parity between iOS and Android going forward"

http://www.theverge.com/2012/12/12/3760770/google-maps-iphone-available-features-navigation-transit

post #15 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Quote:

This is for iPhone only as of now. AI has the title wrong.

"but sadly it's not designed to work on the iPad. Google says that will come later. Graf also said that the goal is to maintain a parity between iOS and Android going forward"

It certainly looks better on my IP5, and having found how to get into street view, that is smooth. Overall the interface is not as nice as Apple Maps IMO.

post #16 of 133
Quote:

Live and installed for me. Quick 2 minute test proves to be awesome. Fast, fluid, turn by turn all there, multi angel rotation works, no complaints. 

Yup agree. Street view was nice and fluid. Note, for me at least, app does not show up in the app store search, but link from article worked.
Is it possible to use Siri with it? However, except for street view(awesome), apple app for 'basic stuff and local' is just as good(although I don't care for the color contrast)
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster by your side, kid.
post #17 of 133
i cannot find it by searching, but if you click the link in the aricle - it indirects you to it in the itunes store - where i was able to download it
post #18 of 133

When I try to download it, I get the error "This item is temporarily unavailable, try again later".

post #19 of 133
The app seems well made. It was fast and fluid when doing searches and rendering the maps. Public transit is as good as I can imagine it could be, and by that I mean it's excellent. Mapping appear to be vectored. It's not as pretty as Apple Maps, but that was to be expected. Street View looks is there, looks good and is also fluid. Optimized for the iPhone 5.

I did find this funny...

As previously stated in another thread, this is a win-win for Apple and customers. if Apple had kept with Google we would not have had Google pushing effort into a great 3rd party app and we would have been stuck with another year (or more) of the sub-par backend offerings Google was giving users on iOS. I'll personally keep the app on my last page so if I need public transit, Street View, or a 2nd opinion t'll be there, but I'll stick with Apple Maps as my primary and TomTom app for my road trips.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #20 of 133

"The item you tried to buy is no longer available."  11:56 pm EST

post #21 of 133
1. Search google maps
2. Open the card for google earth
3. Scroll down to "developer" and click on it
4. Scroll to the very bottom and google maps will be there
5. Install

This worked for me.
post #22 of 133
Nice to have as a back up.
post #23 of 133

For those that can't download, you should remember it takes a few hours for apps to propagate across all of Apple's servers. I thought everyone knew this by now. 

post #24 of 133
Quote:

It certainly looks better on my IP5, and having found how to get into street view, that is smooth. Overall the interface is not as nice as Apple Maps IMO.
Scroll up from the bottom to get street view. Street view came up instantly... Super fast and fluid.
Interface is fine for me. Very clean and simple, however do not need the google+ sign in.
Look forward to the iPad version in the future.
post #25 of 133
Well,

I will have to check this baby out.

Only To Compare, and see what they do well.

I'll still be using Apple's Maps !!

I root for Apple, and I am a stockholder, ..........as such, I want Apple to Win !!

So, I want them to have my data ....and help improve their version !

I believe Apple's underlying Maps "Technology", is off to a great start, ....and will eventually catch up to, ...and one day I'll expect, Apple's Maps will surpass Google's Maps !!!

GO APPLE !!
post #26 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

The app seems well made. It was fast and fluid when doing searches and rendering the maps. Public transit is as good as I can imagine it could be, and by that I mean it's excellent. Mapping appear to be vectored. It's not as pretty as Apple Maps, but that was to be expected. Street View looks is there, looks good and is also fluid. Optimized for the iPhone 5.
I did find this funny...
[IMAGE]
As previously stated in another thread, this is a win-win for Apple and customers. if Apple had kept with Google we would not have had Google pushing effort into a great 3rd party app and we would have been stuck with another year (or more) of the sub-par backend offerings Google was giving users on iOS. I'll personally keep the app on my last page so if I need public transit, Street View, or a 2nd opinion t'll be there, but I'll stick with Apple Maps as my primary and TomTom app for my road trips.

This notice is the same one that has been on Google Maps Nav on Android since it launched FYI.

Edited by thataveragejoe - 12/12/12 at 9:06pm
post #27 of 133

I cant find it in the app store on the iPad mini or iPhone 5, i looked on the desktop, downloaded it in itunes.
Maybe a win :S

post #28 of 133

The only real lack of functionality at present (other than no universal app) seems to be data caching. No signal, no map. It will be interesting to see how soon that is added.

post #29 of 133
Quote:

This notice is the same one that has been on Google Maps Nav on Android since it launched FYI.

Sure. Something similar is on all mapping software, as far as I know, but it's funny due to the recent article where Apple is being singled for exactly what it warns against.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/12/12 at 9:11pm

post #30 of 133
Quote:

For those that can't download, you should remember it takes a few hours for apps to propagate across all of Apple's servers. I thought everyone knew this by now. 

They must be using MobileMe to sync.  lol.gif

post #31 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Not in Australia

Try it again. I just got it. It doesn't appear under general search but the link from the Google developer page works.

post #32 of 133

I downloaded it and wow, it's awesome! The UI can be a little awkward but overall, it's a robust app and definitely the one I'll rely on. I have had many bad experiences with iOS Maps. 

post #33 of 133

Finally working for me now here in Australia.  A surprisingly polished app.  After version 1.0 of the Gmail and YouTube apps I was a little worried about what they would produce, but not too bad.  

I'll stick with Apple Maps because I like the flyover and UI, plus I want it to improve.

post #34 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

1. Search google maps
2. Open the card for google earth
3. Scroll down to "developer" and click on it
4. Scroll to the very bottom and google maps will be there
5. Install
This worked for me.
Thanks, that worked for me.

Next step: integrate it with other Google apps. As an iPhone 4 user (i.e. no Siri), the Google app is very useful, but asking for directions still sends me to the Google maps website, not the new Google Maps app.
post #35 of 133
Had to use the link to find it. Looks nice. Street view is nice and sharp.

Only thing I don't like is the annoying voice giving directions and it is very choppy on my iPhone 4. Maybe it's telling me I need to upgrade my hardware.....
post #36 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

Had to use the link to find it. Looks nice. Street view is nice and sharp.
Only thing I don't like is the annoying voice giving directions and it is very choppy on my iPhone 4. Maybe it's telling me I need to upgrade my hardware.....

But at least you have turn by turn navigation... iOS 6 Maps doesn't provide turn by turn on the iPhone 4, right?

post #37 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

But at least you have turn by turn navigation... iOS 6 Maps doesn't provide turn by turn on the iPhone 4, right?
Yes that is very true. It is a nice feature to have. I'll keep it for the turn by turn feature and street view. iOS maps has worked fairly well and I like the layout a lot so I'll use both 1smile.gif
post #38 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

I have my old 4 lying around and just got to installing it and it runs fine without issues at all. Maybe the other poster has a ton of things open or something. This is a huge option for 4 users since Apple doesn't give turn by turn at all. 

post #39 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Why couldn't Google just have done turn-by-turn before the fight? They ended up doing it anyway!
Btw, not available on App Store.

Google finally released navigatible Maps app for iPhone iPad because I said Google has done evil to iPhone users.  I will now put Google on watch list.  

post #40 of 133

I'm somewhat underwhelmed. Why does it feel like a web app to me?

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad