or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad

Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 133
Link to app works fine for me. When you do a search, thumb up on the result banner at the bottom for more info, including street view.
post #42 of 133

I think Apple's maps look so much better. This is without zooming btw.

post #43 of 133
It's good. And it's very fast. And around here it's hands down more accurate. Match it Apple!
post #44 of 133
Haha, cool!

post #45 of 133

What's breaking is if Google Maps for iOS app is now released it means a major revision for Maps.app is coming.

post #46 of 133

Clean UI and it works well -- impressive. 

post #47 of 133

I'm actually amazed. Google used to turn out functional, but not beautiful or intuitive, apps. Along with the new Gmail app, Google is knocking it out of the park lately. Great typography, simple user interfaces, and an excellent feature set.

The Google Maps app is fantastic. Vector maps, turn by turn, sync with my search history, easy input of home and work address, public transportation directions, super fast rendering, tapping on the map to quickly determine time and distance from my current location, Street View, and more.

I was worried this would be little more than the web app - I could not have been more wrong. This is the best maps app I've ever seen or used. I actually find it much more intuitive than Apple Maps. My only gripe is that the slider to access traffic and satellite layers is a little hard to see at first (it's in the bottom right corner).

post #48 of 133
At 9:55 pm on DEC 12th, Google Maps was available via the AppStore. As for the product, it%u2019s okay.
Becareful of using the sat maps when on 4G. Really not worth the extra download, the pics are blurry and genuinely not usable as Apple%u2019s 3D tech. Those are detailed maps. This isn%u2019t the replacement for Navagone, but it%u2019s a temp option if Maps one dan can%u2019t break the cycle

Cheers !
Cheers !
Cheers !
post #49 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

But zooming in is much more fun!

post #50 of 133

I'm really impressed with street-view.  It seems to have turn-by-turn navi also, but I'll have to check it out later.  Overall the app looks nice, but the new UI is extremely confusing and will need a lot of getting use to.  My only complaint is that it's a bit sluggish on my iPhone 4. Eventhough it's a nice app, I think I'll eventually switch back to Apple's native Map later when it's improved because it's easier to use.

post #51 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

But zooming in is much more fun!

Yeah, that looks like loads of fun... Now satellite view is another story - that looks pretty good.

post #52 of 133
Quote:

Yeah, that looks like loads of fun... Now satellite view is another story - that looks pretty good.

And Street View too!

It's like the desktop web version of Google Maps... now on my iPhone.

I'm liking it!
post #53 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by senorgreg View Post

I'll stick with Apple Maps because I like the flyover and UI, plus I want it to improve.

That is the key, if people want it to be great, they have to keep using it to give Apple the data. 

post #54 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planet Blue View Post

I'm actually amazed. Google used to turn out functional, but not beautiful or intuitive, apps. Along with the new Gmail app, Google is knocking it out of the park lately. Great typography, simple user interfaces, and an excellent feature set.

The Google Maps app is fantastic. Vector maps, turn by turn, sync with my search history, easy input of home and work address, public transportation directions, super fast rendering, tapping on the map to quickly determine time and distance from my current location, Street View, and more.

I was worried this would be little more than the web app - I could not have been more wrong. This is the best maps app I've ever seen or used. I actually find it much more intuitive than Apple Maps. My only gripe is that the slider to access traffic and satellite layers is a little hard to see at first (it's in the bottom right corner).

Let me get this straight. it just got released, so you couldn't have really tried it out yet it is amazing. Kills your credibility a little. 

post #55 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

And Street View too!
It's like the desktop web version of Google Maps... now on my iPhone.
I'm liking it!

Has street view been updated in your area? Mine is the same old picture from 2008 or 2009... This area has really expanded since then.

post #56 of 133
Quote:

I agree, Apple's Maps do look better. 

post #57 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is the key, if people want it to be great, they have to keep using it to give Apple the data. 

I think people will continue to use Apple maps... I can see people using Google maps periodically for things like transit and street view though.

For me, it's familiar, easier to use, integrated with Siri, and looks so much better.

post #58 of 133
So right, now how do we delete Apple Maps and integrate it in the OS? I guess a JB will eventually do that.
post #59 of 133

Google apps just make the iPhone a better device. A lot of people argue about MS Office and how a platform needs it to be successful but for me at least the Google apps are more valuable.

post #60 of 133
Well, well, Google is finally cantering in to save the day with TbT - and solve a problem that they themselves more-or-less created 1rolleyes.gif. What a bunch of heroes. Pardon me if I don't get out the streamers, banners and fireworks. I'll download it once - if - I have a need for it. Apple's version has worked for me so far; that might change as we'll be going on holidays soon. But we have reputable paper maps (gasp!) for the areas that we'll be travelling in anyway.

Think I sound like a crabby ol' goat? Well, I am. 1smoking.gif
post #61 of 133

Made for the iPhone so it looks like crap on an iPad.

LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
LOL people should just enjoy whatever phone they prefer and stop being d-bags about other phones they don't use. Fanboys are pathetic, regardless of whether they are Android or Apple ones.
post #62 of 133
I just downloaded it from the Japan app store. It works ok, but is ONLY for iPhone, not iPad.
post #63 of 133
Quote:

Has street view been updated in your area? Mine is the same old picture from 2008 or 2009... This area has really expanded since then.

That depends on when the last time a Google StreetView car has visited your area.

If the choice was no StreetView... or 2009 StreetView... I'd pick the latter 1biggrin.gif
post #64 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemost View Post

Pulled already!!!!

That doesn't appear to be the case.

I've installed it on my iPhone 5 and it works beautifully... and so far it's Easily The Best Nav App For iOS.

"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
post #65 of 133

Completely underwhelmed on the iPhone 4. Tried out the turn by turn and it was choppy, with little information given, also the routes were longer than I would have driven naturally. Both Apple maps and Waze offer faster routes. Obviously not indicative of the whole app service itself, just disappointed. 

It's also really choppy on iPhone 4 compared to Apple maps blazing speed. And the google public transport isn't 'available in my area'. Sticking to Apple maps for mapping and Waze for driving. 

post #66 of 133

The data is nice to have again, but the interface blows.  I'll stick to Apple Maps.  The only thing I ever really missed was StreetView and like many others, if I need it, I'll go there for that one time.  

post #67 of 133
Also, Google has released an SDK for Google Maps on iOS. This is excellent news.
post #68 of 133
Google Maps shows there being a ranger station located on my property (there is not). What a disaster. Apple Maps has the ranger station location correct. I expect every media outlet to harp for weeks about how bad Google Maps is.

Note for the clueless: the last sentence was written with a sarcastic tone.
post #69 of 133
There's a high incidence of this, announce of post and immediate removal. What's up? thought the whole stringent Apple process--so deemed by many--would stave the incidence to the once and a while. But, glad I glanced here, was going to complain, too oft apps are unavailable at same time from Canadians, really, except for a few I've wanted where content and the law of the land are obvious issues most appear as laziness on the dev's part. Not entirely proficient with process but nonetheless annoying. (Not as much as waiting a year for the first gen iPhone-almost went to Buffalo to get one regardless of cost of calling, lol)
Wasn't going to use it, check it out and delete, happy with Maps and can wait. Overhaul will, as I feel, be phenomenal knowing Apple's desire to correct and apply some icing somehow.
post #70 of 133
I couldnt find it via the app store so i just opened appleinsider in safari on my phone, and clicked on the link to the app. Brought up the app store, and I d/l'd it directly.
post #71 of 133
Horrible. Only for iPhones. WTF are they thinking what about the mini i use as my GPS device their need for billboard size information boxes take up half the screen. The 3D map tilt interface is counter intuitive (reverse of Apples 2 finger drag down). Changing routes is a pane in the wazoo and it took me 5 minutes just to figure out how to generate the route - why is there a need to select one of the routes before displaying a route. Can't it just present the quickest route on the map with alternate routes. Compared to Apple maps I think Apple maps is better.

Lastly why do I need to sign in to save history? Oh, so you can sell my data. No thank you. App deleted.
Edited by APPLGUY - 12/13/12 at 12:18am
post #72 of 133
Correction, found app on iPhone.
post #73 of 133
I can't put my finger on it, but the app just doesn't feel like an iPhone app, its feels like a webpage app (which of course most apps essentially are) but it just feels fragile.

It is great to have street view back but I think it is going to be hard pressed to beat the original iPhone maps app. That felt solid and joy to use. You definitely can't knock this app because of all the data it has and at least when you put something into map you don't get Siri saying, "hey, I found this place but it might not be right" like what?? Talk about sounding stupid and I'm sure that wouldn't have got past Steve's watch.

Anyway, until Apple catch up, this is a good backup but not a replacement too.
post #74 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

The data is nice to have again, but the interface blows.  I'll stick to Apple Maps.  The only thing I ever really missed was StreetView and like many others, if I need it, I'll go there for that one time.  

The only good interface Google has ever done well is the white home search screen. I haven't found anything in this better than Apple maps. Not the points of interest or the routes or the ease of use. Street view is so outdated its almost worthless, new buildings have replaced old buildings and businesses have closed or moved.
post #75 of 133
I can't put my finger on it, but the app just doesn't feel like an iPhone app, its feels like a webpage app (which of course most apps essentially are) but it just feels fragile.

It is great to have street view back but I think it is going to be hard pressed to beat the original iPhone maps app. That felt solid and joy to use. You definitely can't knock this app because of all the data it has and at least when you put something into map you don't get Siri saying, "hey, I found this place but it might not be right" like what?? Talk about sounding stupid and I'm sure that wouldn't have got past Steve's watch.

Anyway, until Apple catch up, this is a good backup but not a replacement too.
post #76 of 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by senorgreg View Post

I'll stick with Apple Maps because I like the flyover and UI, plus I want it to improve.

Good point!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Also, Google has released an SDK for Google Maps on iOS. This is excellent news.

Is it? Now App Devs can decide which Map App will be opened when they put a Map button in their app. That'll create a schizophrenic experience, going to Apple Maps through App A and going to Google Maps through App B.
https://developers.google.com/maps/documentation/ios/urlscheme
Quote:
Originally Posted by APPLGUY View Post

Only for iPhones.

There's still maps.google.com for your iPad.
Quote:
Changing routes is a pane in the wazoo

Sewha?
Quote:
Lastly why do I need to sign in to save history? Oh, so you can sell my data. No thank you. App deleted.

Or give it away, for legal reasons:

http://www.google.com/intl/en_ALL/policies/privacy/
Quote:
"Information we share:

For legal reasons

We will share personal information with companies, organizations or individuals outside of Google if we have a good-faith belief that access, use, preservation or disclosure of the information is reasonably necessary to:

meet any applicable law, regulation, legal process or enforceable governmental request.
enforce applicable Terms of Service, including investigation of potential violations.
detect, prevent, or otherwise address fraud, security or technical issues.
protect against harm to the rights, property or safety of Google, our users or the public as required or permitted by law."

Also, can, and do they really do this:

How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #77 of 133
Update. Google Turn-by-turn very good and street view a welcome return. Lifts the bar for Apple a little further but still feels flimsy. Much appreciated though Google - even though you're tracking and recording and selling my every move :-)
post #78 of 133
WTG! Amazing work!

Waiting now for the Ipad version.
post #79 of 133

Feels a lot like a web app, specially when first signing in.  It shows a phantom street next to me that doesn't exist unless you consider my neighbors driveway and backyard a road.  Another neighbors home is labeled as a coffee shop.  Who knew?  3D building (non-satellite) view is interesting to see given that I live in a smaller town but overall it doesn't seem like an improvement.  Different but not better.

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

Where were you when the hammer flew?  

MacBook Pro Retina, 13", 2.5 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD

iPhone 5s • iPad mini Retina • Chromebook Pixel • Nexus 7

post #80 of 133

Finally! It's here!!! And it has driving directions working with my iPhone 4, not like the stupid Apple Maps! My iPhone 4 is working again! Thank you Google! :D

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Official Google Maps iOS app released for iPhone and iPad