or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Google Maps for iOS brings vectors, transit and navigation features
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

New Google Maps for iOS brings vectors, transit and navigation features - Page 3

post #81 of 150
Installed on my iphone 4s. After using app, all sound on my phone was switched to vibrate, even when not in Google maps application. Reported problem to Google, uninstalled, rebooted, sound working again.
post #82 of 150
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post
…as an EU citizen, I can actually do something about that.

 

Good luck! Ha! It's Google.


8 - What's nagwhare and why does Google Maps classify as such?

 

Nagware is software that, while "free", perpetually gives modal (or otherwise) popups or notifications about improvements thereto (usually paid) or other software by the same company.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #83 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post


A few funny things about the confirmation bias on your post:
1 - You need to use a GPS to navigate your area? The complaints you have would make sense on a global scale; reducing them to your area, however, makes no sense at all, especially if the competition doesn't have any of those services either.
2 - In what cases does 3D and flyover help you that satellite view does not?
3 - Apple Maps does not have street view anywhere at all, so this point is completely moot.
4 - Apple Maps does not have transit directions anywhere at all, so this is another moot point.
5 - Apple Maps does not have bike routes anywhere at all, so this is another moot point.
6 - What exactly do you mean by deceptive tracking practices? Do you claim that Google tracks you without permission? If so, do you have evidence of that? Because if you do, as an EU citizen, I can actually do something about that. If, on the other hand, you're simply expelling matter through your mouth that should have been expelled through your anal cavity instead, don't even bother.
7 - Extra services are exactly that -- extra. If you don't need them, nothing forces you to log in. Would you rather that the functionality was unavailable at all?
8 - What's nagwhare and why does Google Maps classify as such?

 

Look, I just published my impressions and most everything we say here is basically opinion.  You seem to spend an inordinate amount of time defending the app IMO.  

 

The list was a list of things I found missing from Google maps as I saw it this morning.  The points that you call "moot" aren't really points and aren't moot, as I wasn't doing a comparison between the two, just listing missing things from Google maps.  

 

In regards the two substantive questions you raise: 

 

"Deceptive" tracking practices refers to the fact that the app asks you to turn on tracking right at the outset, making the user think that this is required for the programs operation at all.  Then to turn it off, first you have to know where to look, and then you have to dig six levels down to turn it off

 

"Nagware" usually refers to any software that constantly and endlessly bothers you with questions (typically promotions or adverts for new features etc.) although some people just call this "Microsoft Windows."  In this case, I'm using it to refer to the fact that even though it's just a map, Google wants you to "sign in" (so they can monetise your visit).  This pops up time and time again if you don't do it.  

 

Google does this with all their properties now and often there are features that are not available to you until you "sign in" and link all your stuff to whatever the Google product of the moment is.  For instance even on a Google web search, you have to create a Google+ user account and log-in to release some of the basic features of the search.  They do this (obviously) to draw people into their vast evil web.  

 

Basically, they have the morals of a guttersnipe over at Google and it shows in everything they do. 

 

Also: nothing personal but ... lame and incorrect use of "confirmation bias."  


Edited by Gazoobee - 12/13/12 at 10:49am
post #84 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post

The way I look at it, IOS users win.

Apple kicked out Original sucky Google Maps, and Google has to respond with a better app to compete with Apple Maps.

IOS users have Apple and Google maps apps to choose from.  Both will try to outdo each other and IOS users get better maps app.

Apple kicking out the original google maps = correct move.

Yeah… You wonder whether Apple will be rewarded for doing a good thing poorly – or Google will be rewarded for doing a bad thing well?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #85 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

I got garmin, but its for offline turn by turn.  The problem with both Apple and google is it requires a connection.

 

 

Agreed, but my point is he can't claim it is the best without trying a few. My Navigon App is great. Part of the reason is like you say, I don't need an internet connection for it to work. 

post #86 of 150
Apple got EXACTLY what they wanted out of this whole affair. Apple just WON BIG.

Apple wanted the best experience of their users and Google wasn't delivering. The iOS Google maps haven't been updated significantly it's inception while the Android version has been getting better and better. Frankly the Google maps on the iPhone has been an embarrassment when compared to the Android version for years now. The number 1 thing my Android friends point to on their Android phones was turn by turn driving and the general maps features. All I could do was say.. "I have that built into my car. I don't need to mess with mounts and chargers for that.", "I can get that on the iPhone.. I just have to pay for it from TomTom", etc etc.

With iOS maps Apple forced Google's hand. Yes it had problems (though I don't think those problems are as big as people hype them up to be) but it tossed Google out on their butts and made them abandon the "make Android better and ignore iOS" mentality. Google was taking iOS for granted while pushing their own OS. Apple maps was a wake up call... and frankly Google finally got off their ass and delivered. Adobe all over again...

The only negative about the whole thing for Apple was the ding to their quality image but the final result is the same. Pre-Apple maps affair... iPhone maps suck. Post-Apple maps affair... iPhone maps are comparable.

I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's version of Maps slowly died. As long as Google keeps the experience for maps comparable Apple will be happy to focus on other issues. I suspect Apple Maps will be kept alive enough to keep Google on their toes.
post #87 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Supposedly the new Google Maps for iOS doesn't display ads. Is that report incorrect Hill60?

Look at this screenshot:-




I wonder how First National Real Estate is there?

Is it an ad, you decide.

Three of their offices are shown by the looks of things, handy to know if you want to buy or sell a house but nowhere near where the actual location is (Off the lower left corner of the map, if you look closely at the top right corner of the ad, you'll see a faint letter 'o' as in the last letter of 'Minto'.), it's more than the distance from the centre of a national park in Victoria to Mildura as it takes less than 1 hour 9 minutes to drive forty miles.

I can't duplicate that search on my iOS Google maps app. It cannot find Selwyn ave in minto.

If the iOS Google maps app uses a generic search to insert unsolicited ads as POIs... That is insidious, and I want no part of it

Please verify whether it is inserting those ad POIs or not.


BTW, Apple maps was able to locate Selwyn ave in minto.
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #88 of 150
Ever heard of MG Siegler? From Techcrunch? I think he might be a fandroid, like me, because here is what he says about the iPhone Google Maps: "Question: What are your thoughts on the new google map app for iPhone? MG Siegler: It’s great. I’ve been using it all morning to get around. It’s worth it for the clearly superior place search functionality alone. Judging from my inbox/replies/etc, it seems like a lot of folks expect me to take a shit on the app. I’m not going to do that. As I’ve always said, my only requirement to use something is that it be the best. And that’s clearly the case here. Google Maps is superior to Apple Maps in most (though not quite all) ways. And I’m excited to have it back on the iPhone. I’ll be using it constantly." http://parislemon.com/post/37844048970/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-new-google-map-app-for
post #89 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

"Deceptive" tracking practices refers to the fact that the app asks you to turn on tracking right at the outset, making the user think that this is required for the programs operation at all.  Then to turn it off, first you have to know where to look, and then you have to dig six levels down to turn it off

 

"Nagware" usually refers to any software that constantly and endlessly bothers you with questions (typically promotions or adverts for new features etc.) although some people just call this "Microsoft Windows."  In this case, I'm using it to refer to the fact that even though it's just a map, Google wants you to "sign in" (so they can monetise your visit).  This pops up time and time again if you don't do it.  

 

Google does this with all their properties now and often there are features that are not available to you until you "sign in" and link all your stuff to whatever the Google product of the moment is.  For instance even on a Google web search, you have to create a Google+ user account and log-in to release some of the basic features of the search.  They do this (obviously) to draw people into their vast evil web.  

 

 

"Deceptive"?  That's a stretch, the app clearly shows what it is used for. Turning it off? a simple google search will show you exactly how to turn it off, you don't need to "know" anything. 6 levels for a one time settings change, give me a break. 

It's anonymous tracking data that helps google improve traffic info among other things. If you're just interested in leaching of info supplied by other users then that's fine, but don't bitch about something you aren't supporting. 

 

Asking you to log into google account to enhance a free service is not nagware, most apps do that, look at yelp, runkeeper etc etc.

post #90 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Now everybody is happy! No more complaints and everyone can have what they prefer without the need to tell others they are wrong.

 

Not everything… As I posted in a prior thread I am frustrated that there is no 3D Flyover for major cities in France…

You responded that you thought it was due to the fact that the authorities didn't allow airplanes to fly over Paris…

I've verified this with a videographer friend who lives in Paris. He said he was once able, with great difficulty, to get a permit to fly a very specific route over the city to film some footage.

He also said that the only place in France he knew that had 3D flyover is the city of Lyon.

Lyon looks quite nice in 3D in Apple maps actually…
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #91 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Ever heard of MG Siegler? From Techcrunch? I think he might be a fandroid, like me, because here is what he says about the iPhone Google Maps: "Question: What are your thoughts on the new google map app for iPhone? MG Siegler: It’s great. I’ve been using it all morning to get around. It’s worth it for the clearly superior place search functionality alone. Judging from my inbox/replies/etc, it seems like a lot of folks expect me to take a shit on the app. I’m not going to do that. As I’ve always said, my only requirement to use something is that it be the best. And that’s clearly the case here. Google Maps is superior to Apple Maps in most (though not quite all) ways. And I’m excited to have it back on the iPhone. I’ll be using it constantly." http://parislemon.com/post/37844048970/what-are-your-thoughts-on-the-new-google-map-app-for

Well then so far that puts Pogue and Siegler on board with praise for Google's iOS map effort. Now who's the third Musketeer?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #92 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex19 View Post

Huge improvement compared to Apple Maps here in China, since Google provide Vector-based maps here and Apple image-tile based solution is the only thing we have here.
Feel much better also in term of text and info. But only played a while.
Will play a bit longer and will have more comparison.

For the moment the main feedback is that it feel much better on the eyes.

iOS 6 Apple maps appears to show vectors for most areas of China... Which areas in particular are bit-mapped?
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #93 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon_PhoneApart View Post

That's answered earlier in the thread. 
Not to pick just you out, but this kind of a reply is both lame and a bit insulting IMO. The time it takes to post such a reply is no less than simply answering the question. Also, I couldn't see how to get to street view either so I *did* actually read the thread and the article and it isn't stated there either.

"Swiping up from the bottom" only works when you are on a location, and its far from obvious initially how to even get a "location" since there are no pins to drop etc. it's a discoverable feature but not obvious to begin with. Even then, in my area, swiping up from the bottom on a location only gives you street view for some areas. Other areas have no street view and (importantly), no indication of this is given when the information isn't present. Again, in my area, while Apples old map application had street view for the whole city, in many places on Google maps nothing shows at all. Despite the fact that the information is coming from Google.

Insulting people who haven't yet discovered so-called "discoverable features yet, when the app hasn't even been out for more than a few hours is just plain ... insulting.
post #94 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

"Deceptive"?  That's a stretch, the app clearly shows what it is used for. Turning it off? a simple google search will show you exactly how to turn it off, you don't need to "know" anything. 6 levels for a one time settings change, give me a break. 
It's anonymous tracking data that helps google improve traffic info among other things. If you're just interested in leaching of info supplied by other users then that's fine, but don't bitch about something you aren't supporting. 

Asking you to log into google account to enhance a free service is not nagware, most apps do that, look at yelp, runkeeper etc etc.
You are quite wrong about several things here, the most obvious being your assumption that Googles tracking is anonymous in the same sense as Apples is. However you're so rude and annoying that I'm not going to bother talking to you about it.
post #95 of 150
Yeah, not going to bother. I don't need Big Brother Google tracking my every move and selling (pardon me, monetizing) that info off to others. The Gmail suits (Google holds anyone who sends an email to some one else with a Gmail account though they themselves are NOT Gmail users and so have not signed off on Googles terms of service is open to have their emails read and the information sold) were rather revealing, to me anyway.
Edited by jfc1138 - 12/13/12 at 12:14pm
post #96 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Not to pick just you out, but this kind of a reply is both lame and a bit insulting IMO. The time it takes to post such a reply is no less than simply answering the question. 

I agree. Politely giving an answer takes less effort than trying to figure out a witty and/or insulting response instead to an honest question. There was zero need for anyone to post if they weren't trying to be helpful.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #97 of 150
Alright, I have tested if Apple Maps is better in China than Google Maps. It isn't. Here is my test. In Apple Maps in the middle of China there is a small lake right above the word CHINA. The lake is called Qinghai Lake. To the right of the lake there is a city called Xining. If you zoom in, the lake will disappear (another bug) and the city, well, there is just the name of the city! No streets, no nothing! Try this on Google Maps. There are streets and everything there. The same for every other city around. Apple Maps is empty in the middle of China. Apple maps being better in China than Google Maps is just a myth! Apple Maps sucks in China! See for yourself!
post #98 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serendip View Post

Apple got EXACTLY what they wanted out of this whole affair. Apple just WON BIG.
Apple wanted the best experience of their users and Google wasn't delivering. The iOS Google maps haven't been updated significantly it's inception while the Android version has been getting better and better. Frankly the Google maps on the iPhone has been an embarrassment when compared to the Android version for years now. The number 1 thing my Android friends point to on their Android phones was turn by turn driving and the general maps features. All I could do was say.. "I have that built into my car. I don't need to mess with mounts and chargers for that.", "I can get that on the iPhone.. I just have to pay for it from TomTom", etc etc.
With iOS maps Apple forced Google's hand. Yes it had problems (though I don't think those problems are as big as people hype them up to be) but it tossed Google out on their butts and made them abandon the "make Android better and ignore iOS" mentality. Google was taking iOS for granted while pushing their own OS. Apple maps was a wake up call... and frankly Google finally got off their ass and delivered. Adobe all over again...
The only negative about the whole thing for Apple was the ding to their quality image but the final result is the same. Pre-Apple maps affair... iPhone maps suck. Post-Apple maps affair... iPhone maps are comparable.
I wouldn't be surprised if Apple's version of Maps slowly died. As long as Google keeps the experience for maps comparable Apple will be happy to focus on other issues. I suspect Apple Maps will be kept alive enough to keep Google on their toes.

 

 

I had a similar reaction: forced Googles hand to provide a better service more equivalent to what they had been reserving for their Android. The level of Apple's commitment might be reflected in whether they add public transportation at some point. That's a hole they should be able to fix a lot easier than nailing down the location of every pond, greasy spoon and backstreet on the planet...

post #99 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You are quite wrong about several things here, the most obvious being your assumption that Googles tracking is anonymous in the same sense as Apples is. However you're so rude and annoying that I'm not going to bother talking to you about it.

Ha Ha, nice try. Show me factual evidence/link showing that the location tracking in Google Maps IOS is not anonymous, otherwise stay crying in your corner.

post #100 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yougottobekiddi View Post

Years ago I came to the conclusion that reading Appleinsider is like watching Fox News. Sooooo much bias.

 

On the contrary! It's just like The New York Times. Sooooo much bias.
post #101 of 150

Quite a difference in satellite imagery between the two... Apple's is colorless and lacks contrast but is more accurate. Google's is out of date, showing a waterslide that was demolished 10 years ago.

 

 

700 700

post #102 of 150

Apple didn't write the code for Maps, Google provided the source code and apple included that in the default apps. Google was stopping from upgrades where as Android was getting all new features.

 

Now IOS users also can get latest features and Win-win for apple.
 

post #103 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

 

You realise that the original Maps app was written by Apple, not Google, right? Google had no control to add the features found on Android.

 

Apple didn't write the code for Maps, Google provided the source code and apple included that in the default apps. Google was stopping from upgrades where as Android was getting all new features.

 

Now IOS users also can get latest features and Win-win for apple.

post #104 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Ha Ha, nice try. Show me factual evidence/link showing that the location tracking in Google Maps IOS is not anonymous, otherwise stay crying in your corner.

 

It doesnt get more obvious than that:

 

1. go to youre smartphone app, log into another email account than gmail.  Send to youre gmail account something about cars, that you want to buy a particular car model, ...

 

2. Go on a PC, log into gmail with a web browser. look at the ads all around the page.  read the email about the cars. Look at the ads.  Reply to youreself, continu the email exchange with other car models, ...

 

3. Get on the phone, reply to car email and start talking about something else, like computers or tv

 

4. Get back to gmail on the webbrowser, read the email, look at the ads on the page. 

 

5. Come back a few days later, look at the ads again.

 

The same thing will happen with google map. Seach locations, look at the ads when using the map app on the streets or when returning to gmail.  Its a freaking joke, google is recording every single thing you do and its KEEPING it. Even if you dont log in into a google account, it will do the same thing with the IP address. And google will then try to match the IP with the IP used by one of its account, if it can match it its will merge it to its database.  Scary stuff imo.

 

Web searches, emails content, maps locations, IP's, ... its all recorded.  Google products and OS may appear to be free, but they come at a price, there are no free lunch.


Edited by herbapou - 12/13/12 at 1:17pm
post #105 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Alright, I have tested if Apple Maps is better in China than Google Maps. It isn't. Here is my test. In Apple Maps in the middle of China there is a small lake right above the word CHINA. The lake is called Qinghai Lake. To the right of the lake there is a city called Xining. If you zoom in, the lake will disappear (another bug) and the city, well, there is just the name of the city! No streets, no nothing! Try this on Google Maps. There are streets and everything there. The same for every other city around. Apple Maps is empty in the middle of China. Apple maps being better in China than Google Maps is just a myth! Apple Maps sucks in China! See for yourself!

 

Mmm...  With Apple Maps on my iPad, I show:

 

 

 

I left it zoomed out because zooming in further removes the City name as it considers it a distraction.

 

So, I suspect your characterization of Apple Maps vs Google maps in China as being a myth... is just a myth!

 

You know, you don't get anywhere by lobbing softballs in the strike zone!

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #106 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

 

Mmm...  With Apple Maps on my iPad, I show:

 

 

 

I left it zoomed out because zooming in further removes the City name as it considers it a distraction.

 

So, I suspect your characterization of Apple Maps vs Google maps in China as being a myth... is just a myth!

 

You know, you don't get anywhere by lobbing softballs in the strike zone!

 

That's the satellite view! Of course there are streets in the satellite image! I was talking about MAPS! Put the maps and show me the streets!
post #107 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

 

The same thing will happen with google map. Seach locations, look at the ads when using the map app on the streets or when returning to gmail.  Its a freaking joke, google is recording every single thing you do and its KEEPING it.

 

 

 

So we've gone from "is" tracking to "will" track. Still reaching there I see. Google clearly states that its location reporting in IOS maps is used to determine speed  to improve traffic reporting, no user specific data. including start location or end location are sent to google servers. If you somehow believe that Google is recording this information and using it to target search results, when they explicitly said they do not, then there's very little anyone can do to pluck you out of whatever paranoid world you're living in.

 

 

Sheesh.

post #108 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

Ha Ha, nice try. Show me factual evidence/link showing that the location tracking in Google Maps IOS is not anonymous, otherwise stay crying in your corner.

 

So you double-down with childish insults. Welcome to the ignore list.  Bye. 

post #109 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

 

 

So we've gone from "is" tracking to "will" track. Still reaching there I see. Google clearly states that its location reporting in IOS maps is used to determine speed  to improve traffic reporting, no user specific data. including start location or end location are sent to google servers. If you somehow believe that Google is recording this information and using it to target search results, when they explicitly said they do not, then there's very little anyone can do to pluck you out of whatever paranoid world you're living in.

 

 

Sheesh.

 

I didnt try the recent map app we just got on iOS, but the Android smartphone its taking route information and its using it to push ads related to youre route. I dont know how its saving the information, but its doing it. Results is key here, experiment with it and watch it play out. IF Google is not recording it, how can I still received related ads weeks later...

post #110 of 150

Yes, unfortunately its most common rating is 1 star - if it works, great.  If not - unlike a physical nuvi - I can't return it and there's $50 down the tubes.  

post #111 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by NelsonX View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Mmm...  With Apple Maps on my iPad, I show:




I left it zoomed out because zooming in further removes the City name as it considers it a distraction.

So, I suspect your characterization of Apple Maps vs Google maps in China as being a myth... is just a myth!

You know, you don't get anywhere by lobbing softballs in the strike zone!

That's the satellite view! Of course there are streets in the satellite image! I was talking about MAPS! Put the maps and show me the streets!

So? Report it in the "Report a Problem" section.
post #112 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

So you double-down with childish insults. Welcome to the ignore list.  Bye. 

Covering your ears and shouting "la la la la" to yourself, doesn't make the truth go away. I'll miss you!.

post #113 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

 

I didnt try the recent map app we just got on iOS, but the Android smartphone its taking route information and its using it to push ads related to youre route. I dont know how its saving the information, but its doing it. Results is key here, experiment with it and watch it play out. IF Google is not recording it, how can I still received related ads weeks later...

If you searched for a location using google search whether or not you actually navigated to it using google navigation/maps, most likely the reason you are getting pushed ads is because of your search for the location.

 

Look, non-anonymous location a very sensitive topic with all sorts of legal ramifications, if google say their tracking is entirely anonymous (and opt in might I add) I would believe that until someone can show me any actual evidence to the contrary. 

post #114 of 150

Well that is great.  I planned on spending the next two weeks in the Australian outback wilderness and was worried I might get lost.

post #115 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

 

 

So we've gone from "is" tracking to "will" track. Still reaching there I see. Google clearly states that its location reporting in IOS maps is used to determine speed  to improve traffic reporting, no user specific data. including start location or end location are sent to google servers. If you somehow believe that Google is recording this information and using it to target search results, when they explicitly said they do not, then there's very little anyone can do to pluck you out of whatever paranoid world you're living in.

 

 

Sheesh.

 

Google told the DoJ that they would respect people's requests not to allow tracking cookies, one slap on the wrist $22 million fine with a not guilty plea for deviously overriding browser settings to install tracking cookies later, and we can see just how much Google's word is worth, i.e. sweet f*ck all.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #116 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

 

"Deceptive" tracking practices refers to the fact that the app asks you to turn on tracking right at the outset, making the user think that this is required for the programs operation at all.  Then to turn it off, first you have to know where to look, and then you have to dig six levels down to turn it off

 

 

 

>> IOS AD tracking, looks "deceptive" to me.

 

It probably doesn’t come as a shock to know that the tracking is switched on as a default in the operating system so any device you have that is running iOS 6 will already be collecting this anonymous information. It is entirely possible to remove the tracking from the device but it looks like Apple have gone out of their way to bury the disable setting where users wouldn’t think to look for it.

post #117 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Google told the DoJ that they would respect people's requests not to allow tracking cookies, one slap on the wrist $22 million fine with a not guilty plea for deviously overriding browser settings to install tracking cookies later, and we can see just how much Google's word is worth, i.e. sweet f*ck all.

I'm sure that was just a little mistake, just like when apple was tracking cell phone tower locations. :-)

post #118 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

"Surely OP will deliver..." I can see it myself here, and won't care after the next 30 seconds anyway.

 

 

 

Here's a small violin it didn't work in your one trivial use case, no one ever said Google Maps was perfect, in fact Google tells you it isn't, but it's far more detailed and accuate globally than Apple Maps. 

 

 

 What do my kids keep saying these days for stupidity? "Derp?"

 

 

Run along, run along... /ignore

 

Here you go:-

 

Look, according to Google there is nothing here, just bare earth:-

 

 

700

 

It's a good thing emergency services don't use Google, how would they respond to an average Joe's emergency in a street that doesn't exist:-

 

 

700

 

Here are more houses that don't exist, according to Google it's bare earth:-

 

 

700

 

...and some more:-

 

 

700

 

Lastly here's a picture taken on one of the Longhurst and Longhurst corners, note the houses where Google says there is bare earth:-

 

 

700

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #119 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

I'm sure that was just a little mistake, just like when apple was tracking cell phone tower locations. :-)

 

I wonder how a call routes to a phone if no-one knows where it is?

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #120 of 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by patpatpat View Post

 

>> IOS AD tracking, looks "deceptive" to me.

 

It probably doesn’t come as a shock to know that the tracking is switched on as a default in the operating system so any device you have that is running iOS 6 will already be collecting this anonymous information. It is entirely possible to remove the tracking from the device but it looks like Apple have gone out of their way to bury the disable setting where users wouldn’t think to look for it.

 

Jeez, just shut up won't you?  You are wrong.  You are wrong about tracking being on by default in iOS 6.  You are wrong about AD tracking in iOS 6.  You are wrong about Google's tracking being anonymous and for traffic mapping purposes only.  None of this stuff is on by default.  It's all opt-in only and all user controllable in the settings app which is not obfuscated or six levels deep or misleading in any way like Google's stuff is.  

 

In fact, you are wrong about almost everything you've said on this thread, yet you continue to bleat on about it and are obnoxious and insulting to boot.  

 

Last advice before blocking you:  Either post wrong headed stuff like this in a polite way, or be an asshole but get your facts straight.  The combination of being wrong about everything but sanctimonious and insulting as well is just annoying as heck.  

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › New Google Maps for iOS brings vectors, transit and navigation features