or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung's chief strategy officer admits to using Apple's iPhone, iPad & Mac at home

Samsung's chief strategy officer admits to using Apple's iPhone, iPad & Mac at home

post #1 of 59
One of the top executives at Apple's chief rival, Samsung, has admitted that he uses an iPhone, iPad and Mac at home, largely due to Apple's "sticky" ecosystem.

Young Sohn admitted his personal preference for Apple's tightly connected ecosystem in an interview with MIT Technology Review, published on Thursday. Sohn began working as president and chief strategy officer at Samsung in August out of Silicon Valley in California.

Sohn acknowledged that Apple is a "very innovative company," and noted that Apple is a customer of Samsung's as well as a fierce competitor. He said he's always used a Mac, along with an iPhone and an iPad, because Apple's ecosystem is "sticky," making it convenient to buy in to the company's product lineup.

The Samsung executive said he believes customers are even more drawn to Apple's ecosystem, with services like iCloud, than they are to the products themselves. He said the Galaxy Nexus is a "better phone" than the iPhone, but added that the "connected ecosystem is really critical."

"At work I'm using Samsung devices; Apple at home, mainly because all of my systems and files are done that way," Sohn admitted. "That's sticky, you know? However, I did figure out how to sync all of my contacts and all of my schedules between the two different systems. You can do it. It's a bit of work, but it's possible."

Samsung

Going forward, Sohn said he would like to see Samsung offer a more complete experience than it currently does. He said Samsung provides more devices that consumers interact with than anyone in the world, but Samsung's current philosophy is 'device-centric."

"It's experienced by itself. It's not experienced in a connected way," he said. "So we think we can provide a lot more things than what we are doing today with an open ecosystem with our partners."

Samsung is one of the main component suppliers for Apple, but Apple is believed to be making an effort to move away from reliance on Samsung as the two companies have grown in competition with one another.

Officials at Apple are particularly upset by what they see as blatant copying of devices like the iPhone and iPad in Samsung's product lineup. A jury in California agreed with Apple in August and ruled that Samsung had infringed on Apple's patented designs, hitting Samsung with $1.05 billion in damages.
post #2 of 59

lol.gif wow

post #3 of 59

Smooth.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #4 of 59
If Bill's kids were allowed to speak we could hear the same thing - if they had access to Apple gear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

One of the top executives at Apple's chief rival, Samsung, has admitted that he uses an iPhone, iPad and Mac at home, largely due to Apple's "sticky" ecosystem.

Another reason could be that Apple's gear works - he did say 'use' after all.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #5 of 59

A pepsi delivery man can get fired for drinking a bottle of coke.  Surely this guy has enough sense to realize he should be using his company's products whenever possible.  

post #6 of 59
This merely proves one thing. Samsung hires smart people.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #7 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

A pepsi delivery man can get fired for drinking a bottle of coke.  Surely this guy has enough sense to realize he should be using his company's products whenever possible.  

I know a webmaster @ Samsung. He requested a company provided iPhone because most people looked at their mobile site from an iPhone. He got it, even upgraded to a 5 because of the new screen AR.
post #8 of 59
You can't fault the man for using the finer things in life.
post #9 of 59
Quote:

If the delivery man is not on the job and not publicly doing it, I highly doubt he could/would get fired for it.

Maybe Samsung exec didn't consider it "possible."

post #10 of 59

Of course he does. 

They're used as Samsung prototypes. 

post #11 of 59

Based on the latest Samsung ads, Apple should use this in the advertising.  But they won't, they are better than that.

post #12 of 59
Ha! Score one for honesty. Apple should use this in an ad.
post #13 of 59
Surely this guy has enough sense to realize he should be using his company's products whenever possible.  

No, he has enough sense NOT to use his company's products whenever he can.

As jragosta said, apparently Samsung does hire intelligent people.

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post
Why? It's a free country 1wink.gif.

Glad you put a wink.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #14 of 59
Quote:

Apple should hire him away.

post #15 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Bonner View Post

Based on the latest Samsung ads, Apple should use this in the advertising.  But they won't, they are better than that.

They are? Gates might disagree. Apple ads didn't just mock Windows. They mocked him personally. Jobs used to say Microsoft has no taste and no originality. So what track record do are you thinking of that makes them "better"?

Their advertising is often better in terms of simplicity and absence of technobabble. And they design great products. But you're on drugs by saying they're better people. They're not better or worse. They are just a group of people who work really well together to make really cool stuff.
post #16 of 59
Originally Posted by stelligent 
Gates might disagree. Apple ads didn't just mock Windows. They mocked him personally.

Which ones?

But you're on drugs by saying they're better people. They're not better or worse.

They don't steal ideas from others. Apparently that's not "better" to you.

post #17 of 59
Update 1: Samsung Chief Strategy Officer fired for using Apple products.

Update 2: Ex-Samsung Chief Strategy Officer found dead in Australian desert while on soul searching trip to Mildura. Dehydrated hand found clutching iPhone last running Apple Maps app.
post #18 of 59

Sohn only started at Samsung August this year. Common sense dictates that he was already in the Apple Ecosystem before being hired by Samsung. And only a fool would abandon his established ecosystem because of a new position.

Quote:
"Can you say more about why these technology categories are so important? 

OK, so think about Apple compared to Samsung. I use a Mac, actually, at home. I’ve always used Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad. I also have the Galaxy. So I’m a great example. 

If you look at the strengths of Apple, in a way it’s not the product per se. It’s that consumers like their ecosystem such as iCloud. I like that my family 6,000 miles away in Korea is able to see my schedule and see all of my contacts and photos. It is sticky, but it is a proprietary architecture.

Look at your phone [pointing to my Samsung Galaxy Nexus]. It’s a better phone, in my view. It’s a better display. It’s faster. But eventually the connected ecosystem is really critical.

I think we have probably the largest platform in the world between the devices and displays and televisions we sell. We actually provide more devices that are interacting with consumers than anyone in the world. But if you think about our experiences, it’s device-centric. It’s experienced by itself. It’s not experienced in a connected way. So we think we can provide a lot more things than what we are doing today with an open ecosystem with our partners.

Wait, you are still using Apple products? 

At work I’m using Samsung devices; Apple at home, mainly because all of my systems and files are done that way. That’s sticky, you know? However, I did figure out how to sync all of my contacts and all of my schedules between the two different systems. You can do it. It’s a bit of work, but it is possible.

http://www.technologyreview.com/news/508306/the-man-looking-to-turn-samsung-into-a-silicon-valley-trendsetter/

Edited by bleh1234 - 12/13/12 at 8:29am
post #19 of 59

Keep an eye on this guy's LinkedIn profile, wow.  

post #20 of 59
Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post
Common sense dictates that he was already in the Apple Ecosystem before being hired by Samsung.

Why? Android is "winning". By sheer numbers, probability says he would have already been using Android.

post #21 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshmaker View Post

lol.gif  wow

Really? This surprises you?

If those purchases were approved by Samsung as a "research expense" that would be news 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #22 of 59
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

"If you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles."

Sun Tzu

Exactly.  As I posted recently, the iPad Mini exists greatly due to Apple's SVP of Internet Software, who after using a Samsung Galaxy 7" tablet, convinced his bosses and Steve Jobs that a 7" tablet is very desirable.  (Mini sales have apparently shown the same thing... and guess who just got promoted as well.)

post #23 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

They are? Gates might disagree. Apple ads didn't just mock Windows.

Yep, they mocked the whole city¡

Quote:
They mocked him personally.

They did? I think he mocked himself by not allowing his own children to use an iPod.
Quote:
Jobs used to say Microsoft has no taste and no originality.

That was no advertisement, that was an interview. If you watch it, start to finish, you'll understand there was no marketing pitch involved - he was giving his honest opinion.
post #24 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Which ones?

They don't steal ideas from others. Apparently that's not "better" to you.

Swiss clock? Skeumorphic design in iBooks? The trademark for iPhone in various parts of the world? For starters ...
post #25 of 59
Swiss clock? Skeumorphic design in iBooks? The trademark for iPhone in various parts of the world? For starters ...

How were these thefts?

post #26 of 59
Quote:

How were these thefts?

Compensation after the fact makes them better? Your definition of good is not a high bar, is it? And they've yet to make good on compensating the designers of the iBook "template", afaik.

What's with this sycophancy, anyway? Why can't you be smart like me and enjoy each company and product for their advantages. It's not like you can boost the Apple share price by licking their boots. You don't exist, for them.
post #27 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Of course he does. 

They're used as Samsung prototypes. 

Nice one. :) :)

post #28 of 59
And they've yet to make good on compensating the designers of the iBook "template", afaik.

How was whatever you're talking about here a theft? 

I'll just keep asking it until you answer, I guess.

post #29 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yep, they mocked the whole city¡

They did? I think he mocked himself by not allowing his own children to use an iPod.
That was no advertisement, that was an interview. If you watch it, start to finish, you'll understand there was no marketing pitch involved - he was giving his honest opinion.

You don't see the hypocrisy in your words? You find rosy optics for everything from Apple but you see only Mordor elsewhere. Apple continues to make great computers after the passing of Jobs but I didn't know the reality distortion field has not been discontinued as a product.

Not an ounce of objectivity, people! Really?
post #30 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

This merely proves one thing. Samsung hires smart people.

Smart people?

A smart person would know that the iPhone absolutely destroys the Nexus on every single logical way, by a large margin.

However he says the GN is faster, when it isn't, and has a better screen, when it doesn't.

He's just another stupid fanboy that (despite his position) has no knowledge about both products, even if he has a decent/rational notion of reality.

post #31 of 59
Quote:

How was whatever you're talking about here a theft? 

I'll just keep asking it until you answer, I guess.

Why not keep asking about the others too?

As for iBook, I'm using an iPhone right now (see - no android troll here!) and one of its shortcomings is the lack of ease to quickly look something up and paste relevant quotes in an app without that function built in. But it should be easy fir you to look up, if you're interested in learning rather than just trying to defeat logic with obstinacy.

Look, instead of spending energy to defend Apple, just ask yourself why they need u to do this? They are a good company but don't go around treating them like they are "better" than anyone else. That's just sick fanaticism.
post #32 of 59
Why not keep asking about the others too?

Okay.

(see - no android troll here!)

I'm sorry, are you honestly of the belief that this matters in any respect, or are you just making fun of the people that do?

and one of its shortcomings is the lack of ease to quickly look something up and paste relevant quotes in an app without that function built in. But it should be easy to look up.

What does what you are saying here have to do with what I asked about earlier?

Look, instead of spending energy to defend Apple, just ask yourself why they need u to do this? That's just sick fanaticism.

Why are you asking me questions when you need to be answering mine? What website do you think you're on? 

I'll defend Apple from idiots and liars. I'll defend anyone from idiots and liars. 

They are a good company but don't go around treating them like they are "better" than anyone else.

Again, their business model isn't based on stealing from others. If you don't consider this to be inherently "better", you don't really fit into society.

post #33 of 59
I'm sure many others at Samsung are also avid Apple product users. If they want to use the best they have no other choice
post #34 of 59
Quote:

Okay.

I'm sorry, are you honestly of the belief that this matters in any respect, or are you just making fun of the people that do?

What does what you are saying here have to do with what I asked about earlier?

Why are you asking me questions when you need to be answering mine? What website do you think you're on? 

I'll defend Apple from idiots and liars. I'll defend anyone from idiots and liars. 

Again, their business model isn't based on stealing from others. If you don't consider this to be inherently "better", you don't really fit into society.
Go ahead and believe I'm an idiot and a liar. But I'm concerned you can't see the fanatical fervour in your own words, can you? Get some help. You used to be more rational.

Btw, I note that you're free to use the term idiots but when I use it, you usurp your moderator privileges to sanction me. What hypocrisy.

Apple is not better, not better, not better. 1tongue.gif

But I'm better than you because I don't live and die by defendng a company that doesn't know I exist.
Edited by stelligent - 12/13/12 at 9:02am
post #35 of 59
Go ahead and believe I'm an idiot and a liar.

Oh, no; if anything you're misinformed. Can't really call you a liar when you haven't presented any information yet.

post #36 of 59

Hmmm. So since its "okay" for Sohn to use Apple in his daily life; if, make that IF, someone in Apple wants to use anything other than Apple, it's "okay" and won't receive any punitive action? 

post #37 of 59
This isn't a real "story," just fresh meat for the forums.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #38 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

I'm sure many others at Samsung are also avid Apple product users. If they want to use the best they have no other choice

That's why Apple is Samsung's #1 customer. 

post #39 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

That's why Apple is Samsung's #1 customer. 

What does that have to do with the fact that Samsung uses worse materials on their own devices than on Apple devices when sometimes they make both(like screens, for example, even if LG is stealing the show. Samsung screens are much worse then Apple screens. Do you like oversaturated pentile shit? Or maybe we should talk about processors and GPUs and how Samsung's equivalents are un-optimized battery hogs lower performance shit.), so they produce worse devices, because they trust so much on the stupidity of Korean/stupid SammyFanboys internet keyboard warriors to defend them?

Samsung is great when better minds tell them what and how to do it. They have no problems with local laws (because they are the law) and can get the job done cheaply.

Apple gives the brain, Samsung gives those small hands that no one in korea (or on other plants) cares.

post #40 of 59
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Samsung is great when better minds tell them what and how to do it.

I'll agree with a rewording of this: Samsung is quite good at taking instructions and following them to the letter. That's what makes them so successful as a parts supplier, and I think that's the only business they should be in going forward.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Samsung's chief strategy officer admits to using Apple's iPhone, iPad & Mac at home