or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple and LG cleared of infringing on Alcatel-Lucent patents

Apple and LG cleared of infringing on Alcatel-Lucent patents

post #1 of 5
A federal jury on Thursday found products made by Apple and LG do not infringe on video compression patents asserted by Alcatel-Lucent's Multimedia Patent Trust, bringing an end to the nearly two-year long case.

Alcatel-Lucent Logo

In the suit heard by the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of California, Alcatel-Lucent was seeking damages of $172.3 million in royalties from Apple's alleged infringement of three patents and $9.1 million from LG over two patents, reports Bloomberg. The suit took aim at various models in the iPhone, iPod, iPad and MacBook Pro product lines.

The trial was a direct result of Multimedia Patent Trust's initial 2010 complaint in which the Paris-based company claimed Apple and LG copied IP related to efficient data transmission tech used in video transmission.

According to Alcatel-Lucent lawyer Frederick Lorig, at least 33 other companies have paid over $190 million to license the patents, but the defense claimed it was already covered by an industry-wide "pay-as-you-go" pool. The jury sided with Apple and LG.

?We are very pleased with the verdict,? said Apple attorney Juanita Brooks.

Earlier on Thursday, Apple lost a separate case over screen rotation patents that belong to a non-practicing entity jointly owned by Sony and Nokia.
post #2 of 5
$172.3 million pays a lot of legal fees, once again Apple's legal team delivers the goods.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #3 of 5
If it takes 2 years to get to the bottom of this I presume this decision is incontrovertible.
post #4 of 5
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
If it takes 2 years to get to the bottom of this I presume this decision is incontrovertible.

You'd think so, but then Apple's patents successfully used in lawsuits are being preliminarily invalidated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

You'd think so, but then Apple's patents successfully used in lawsuits are being preliminarily invalidated.

I think I need to read, no study, in order to comprehend anything IP related and how this system works in conjunction with the law. Of which I don't know anything about either. As un uneducated in this field, I don't even think logical thinking applies to how this all works. Or from what I've read, doesn't work.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mac OS X
AppleInsider › Forums › Software › Mac OS X › Apple and LG cleared of infringing on Alcatel-Lucent patents