or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple

post #1 of 255
Thread Starter 
Between Apple and Google, the biggest winner in the launch of Google Maps for the iPhone is probably Google, one analyst believes.

Charlie Wolf of Needham & Company characterized the return of Google Maps to iOS, in the form of a third-party application on the App Store, as a "mixed blessing" for Apple. He views the more definitive winner as Google, which launched its Maps application in more than 40 countries and 29 languages this week.

"We see the Maps app on the iPhone as a win-win for Google because the company will now be able to generate location-based advertising and other revenues from iPhone users who use the app," Wolf wrote in a note to investors on Friday.

The positive for Apple, he said, is that the availability of Google Maps ? now with the addition of turn-by-turn directions ? will help to soften some of the negative public perception surrounding iOS 6 and the iPhone 5.

"It has the potential to attract a meaningful number of new users to the iPhone who had previously shunned it," Wolf said," because of Apple's well-publicized misstep in releasing a less-than-market-ready product in the first place."

Google Maps


However, he also conceded that the launch of Google Maps on the App Store could also hurt Apple by driving users away from its own Maps application.

"Users' input is critical in improving the quality of the application, and Apple will now receive less feedback on its own Maps app what with iPhone owners flocking to Google Maps," he said.

Apple's decision to enter the mapping business has placed a new focus on mobile maps, helping to spur competition on the App Store. Most notably, Nokia entered the market with its new Here maps last month, in an attempt to make a splash after users were disappointed with Apple's Maps.

But Google Maps, which previously powered Apple's iOS Maps application before the launch of iOS 6 in September, is the market leader, and its return to the iPhone has been highly anticipated. As such, the free Google Maps has been the most downloaded application on the App Store since Wednesday, and with YouTube and Google Earth, Google now has three of the top five free iPhone applications.
post #2 of 255
Good for both the customer in that they're getting a fully-functional Navigation/mapping solution for their iOS devices as well as Google for the aforementioned reasons.

One can only hope Apple is much more careful in the future not to release such half-hearted efforts like iOS Maps as other companies might not be there to so quickly help bail them out.
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
"Why iPhone"... Hmmm?
Reply
post #3 of 255
I love google maps, however I tested yesterday to go to a meeting that I have for a job and the turn by turn was good but when I got close to the destination, google maps thought that it was in a corner the final destination when in fact was the next corner down and a right. It got me close but not exactly where I was suppose to go. I called the guy and he told me the route to take. I don't know how apple maps will perform but I assume that can be the same result or worse.
post #4 of 255
Google maps turn by turn directions are terrible. I used them last night, and luckily I already knew where I was going, but Google maps had me doing U turns, and all kinds of crazy things.

Apple maps may not have the place-of-interest catalog of google, or the quality traffic data and good display of that data... but the app is easier to use, more intuitive and the turn by turn is FAR better.
post #5 of 255
I disagree with Mister Wolf. I'm not sure if this was the main purpose, but I think that Apple developing his own map application made Google finally brings to IOS the best version of google maps, something they would have not done otherwise to focus on Android OS. Apple purpose on IOS, by my point of view, never has been to propose Apps that are better that any other : this would be a bad strategy, making developers think they would never be able to make a better app that Apple does.
Instead, what Apple needs is that most user enjoy IOS experience because it is rich, safe and functional.
IOS is an excellent OS, it just needed to have the BEST map app to stay on the top, and they finally have this trough Google maps. They had to spend a lot of money with maps to get this done, but money investment is not a real problem for Apple, as soon as this investment keeps IOS as the leader.
post #6 of 255
I haven't used Google maps yet, but what I have been using of late is Waze. It worked great every time I have used it so far. Fun little app, and you can't beat the price.
post #7 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by t2000tjt View Post

Google maps turn by turn directions are terrible. I used them last night, and luckily I already knew where I was going, but Google maps had me doing U turns, and all kinds of crazy things.
Apple maps may not have the place-of-interest catalog of google, or the quality traffic data and good display of that data... but the app is easier to use, more intuitive and the turn by turn is FAR better.

Agreed. Google directions in Australia are shocking. It's good to see they have finally entered some previously missing roads but it still directs you down one way roads the wrong way or to drive straight through a dead end. Apple maps are missing a lot features but none that I need so I prefer decent directions
post #8 of 255
The option to OpenStreetMap maps is very good alternative because it is growing steadily. The iPhone and GoogleMaps are using Neocartography to obtain updated maps and filled with content firsthand by local users. Google Maker is a copy and Apple calls to improve their maps among all other. Incidentally Nokia also makes the same appeal. Now OpenStreetMaps is free and everyone. A case is substantial use in the Third World, where no economic interests, especially the humanitarian group made %u200B%u200Bits HOT. Here you have a link for most information --))
post #9 of 255
This is good for Apple. There iPhone is better now for the additional choice in mapping apps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

I don't know how apple maps will perform but I assume that can be the same result or worse.

Not a good assumption to make. It might be more reasonable to say that, on average, Google Maps will be more accurate than Apple Maps at this time, but you can't assume that if Google isn't correct that Apple will also be incorrect. You can test out the directions without actually traveling anywhere with Apple Maps.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #10 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is good for Apple. There iPhone is better now for the additional choice in mapping apps.
Not a good assumption to make. It might be more reasonable to say that, on average, Google Maps will be more accurate than Apple Maps at this time, but you can't assume that if Google isn't correct that Apple will also be incorrect. You can test out the directions without actually traveling anywhere with Apple Maps.

I agree with you 100%, great thought!

post #11 of 255

It's good for iOS users, and that's what Apple really cares about.

 

 

To me it casts Google in a bad light; Why couldn't they offer these features to Apple before? Honestly, if THEY can make an app with turn-by-turn and vector graphics why couldn't Apple use the same data to make their own app? Seems to me Google was trying to handicap iOS.

 

Personally, the less of Google on any of my devices, the better I am.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #12 of 255
Win-win for Google? What about the millions of dollars Apple used to pay Google for data that Google now has to eat? What about having turn-by-turn on iOS which used to be a competitive advantage for Android? What about taking pressure off Apple Maps so that version 2.0 can be worked on out of the spotlight?
post #13 of 255
Win-win for Google? What about the millions of dollars Apple used to pay Google for data that Google now has to eat? What about having turn-by-turn on iOS which used to be a competitive advantage for Android? What about taking pressure off Apple Maps so that version 2.0 can be worked on out of the spotlight?
post #14 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Personally, the less of Google on any of my devices, the better I am.

How's that going for you? I tried the same but unfortunately all other search engines are either quite or really bad. Duckduckgo seems the best but I can set it as default on iOS. I only use my gmail now when you need an email address for something unimportant. It amazing after logging to gmail you end a with 30+ tracking cookies.
post #15 of 255
Another analyst we've never heard of makes the headlines at AI because they said something controversial about Apple.

Trolls are spinning things negatively. How about Apple fans trying to get the word out too? The original Google maps app was a crippled, dumbed down version of the Android app, better data or not. And nothing was going to change until Apple kicked Google to the curb. Yes, Apple screwed up but the result isn't as dire as some would hope. Google desperately needs its apps and services on iOS. Some reports have indicated that Google makes more money from iOS than it does on its own Android. And the result is a new, much better Google maps app. There is a very symbiotic relationship between these two and I wish they would just kiss and make up.

Personally I will keep using the Apple maps app because of this nonsense from Google. Fortunately Apple has the money and market power to take action like they did, unlike the 90's when they had to kowtow to Microsoft to keep Office on the Mac.
post #16 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

It's good for iOS users, and that's what Apple really cares about.

 

 

To me it casts Google in a bad light; Why couldn't they offer these features to Apple before? Honestly, if THEY can make an app with turn-by-turn and vector graphics why couldn't Apple use the same data to make their own app? Seems to me Google was trying to handicap iOS.

 

Personally, the less of Google on any of my devices, the better I am.

It could possibly have something to do with licensing restrictions. Google uses data from sources other than their own who may not allow repackaging of their map data for a turn-by-turn application to be built by a third party. For Google to offer it as their own and under their name fine. For them to sell it to a 3rd-party Apple for use in TBT, perhaps not. It certainly plausible that Google couldn't supply TBT data for an Apple-branded routing app without negotiating extended licenses from their providers. . . if those providers were even willing and/or reasonably priced. IMO TomTom would be a likely example of a provider that wouldn't allow Google to resell their data to Apple for a navigation application.

 

My personal guess is that's the likely reason a new contract offering turn-by-turn couldn't be agreed on. After all does anyone know of any application for any platform or standalone PND using Google Maps for TBT outside of Google themselves? As well-regarded as Google Maps generally are, and with Google trying to be as pervasive as they can I find that odd. The most simple explanation is that they can't redistribute their maps for that purpose..

 

There's a lot of unknowns, so I've no idea how anyone here can say with certainty who's to blame (or thank1wink.gif) for Google going it's own way with a nav app for iOS.


Edited by Gatorguy - 12/14/12 at 7:10am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #17 of 255
I cannot believe that the vast amount of people that buy an iPhone buy it to use the Map app and there were people holding off purchasing one until Google maps hit iOS 6.
post #18 of 255

Now there isn't any reason not to upgrade to iOS 6, and we don't have to hear about "mapgate" any more. Apple's map app was 10x better than the old Google app, but no one would know from the blogosphere.

post #19 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryb View Post

I cannot believe that the vast amount of people that buy an iPhone buy it to use the Map app and there were people holding off purchasing one until Google maps hit iOS 6.

I agree on purchases, but there were 3 people in my immediate office (not a tech savvy bunch and watch too much news) that held off upgrading to iOS 6 on their 4/4S until this came out. Seems silly to me, but to each their own.

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Win-win for Google? What about the millions of dollars Apple used to pay Google for data that Google now has to eat? What about having turn-by-turn on iOS which used to be a competitive advantage for Android? What about taking pressure off Apple Maps so that version 2.0 can be worked on out of the spotlight?

 

At the end of the day Google doesn't really care about features here or there based on platform, they want data and ad revenue regardless of where it comes from. (Still shows iOS more valuable) The Android world was miffed when Google launched the new Search app on iOS which is very much like Google Now on 4.1+, but as usual they miss the point. Bloomberg discussed last night that Apple wasn't paying much to Google for Maps and youtube and in fact the potential for advertising within it's standalone apps is likely greater than than the licensing they were getting. So in the end everyone wins, Google makes its money, the consumer gets choice and a better product, and Apple is free from relying on Google or paying them.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #20 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Win-win for Google? What about the millions of dollars Apple used to pay Google for data that Google now has to eat? What about having turn-by-turn on iOS which used to be a competitive advantage for Android? What about taking pressure off Apple Maps so that version 2.0 can be worked on out of the spotlight?

 

At 71% global market share, android does not need the minor competitive edge that the real google maps app gives. They've already won. They're an ad company that makes money on volume. To that end, it's not even a contest.

post #21 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I agree on purchases, but there were 3 people in my immediate office (not a tech savvy bunch and watch too much news) that held off upgrading to iOS 6 on their 4/4S until this came out. Seems silly to me, but to each their own.

 

At the end of the day Google doesn't really care about features here or there based on platform, they want data and ad revenue regardless of where it comes from. (Still shows iOS more valuable) The Android world was miffed when Google launched the new Search app on iOS which is very much like Google Now on 4.1+, but as usual they miss the point. Bloomberg discussed last night that Apple wasn't paying much to Google for Maps and youtube and in fact the potential for advertising within it's standalone apps is likely greater than than the licensing they were getting. So in the end everyone wins, Google makes its money, the consumer gets choice and a better product, and Apple is free from relying on Google or paying them.

 

It is nothing like Google Now. You clearly have no idea what Google Now is. That app for iOS is the exact same Google voice search all that's been out forever on all android devices. Google now serves a completely different function entirely.

post #22 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Now there isn't any reason not to upgrade to iOS 6, and we don't have to hear about "mapgate" any more. Apple's map app was 10x better than the old Google app, but no one would know from the blogosphere.

There wasn't a Google app before now. The previous one was built by Apple, only using Google data for the back-end.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #23 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Now there isn't any reason not to upgrade to iOS 6, and we don't have to hear about "mapgate" any more. Apple's map app was 10x better than the old Google app, but no one would know from the blogosphere.


We didn't have to hear about mapgate before.  1biggrin.gif

 

Anecdotal evidence tells me that the Apple maps issue, although annoying for some, was overblown by a press/blogosphere that leeches on Apple's blood to gain eyeballs.

 

From that same anecdotal evidence, I believe that the vast majority of iPhone 5 owners/buyers won't have a clue about this issue at all, nor will they care about Google Maps.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #24 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


We didn't have to hear about mapgate before.  1biggrin.gif

 

Anecdotal evidence tells me that the Apple maps issue, although annoying for some, was overblown by a press/blogosphere that leeches on Apple's blood to gain eyeballs.

 

From that same anecdotal evidence, I believe that the vast majority of iPhone 5 owners/buyers won't have a clue about this issue at all, nor will they care about Google Maps.

 

That's why Google maps went to number one downloaded free app within 30 minutes of being released. Ya, the vast majority surely don't care.


Edited by NexusPhan - 12/14/12 at 7:24am
post #25 of 255
Have tried more than a half dozen nav apps. but still return to TomTom on both my iPhone and iPads.

Do like Apple's new map app which I recently used along with iGO on trip to Cabo. Since I didn't want to pay roaming charges, I planned my routes via WiFi and got the limited 30-day rental package ($9.99) for iGO Mexico.

Based on my experience, TomTom is still my first choice 'nav' app. It doesn't require a data connection to navigate. And, although the Mexico version is rather pricey for the relative amount of time I would use it, I will get it before going back there.

I do like the new Google Maps app. If for anything, it's because of 'street-view'. However, using it on my iPad at the 2x's mode is downright ugly. As such, 'Street-view' loses quite a bit of it's flare in the smaller 1x's picture mode.

For those that think TomTom US/Canada app is rather expensive, installing it on on our family's 4 iPhones, as well as, a couple of iPads, the $59 (now $46) cost is a no-brainer.
post #26 of 255
I'm sorry but with "iPad Mini Retina Display?" and now this article. These just seem pretty obvious things. I don't think articles needed written.
post #27 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Another analyst we've never heard of makes the headlines at AI because they said something controversial about Apple.
Trolls are spinning things negatively. How about Apple fans trying to get the word out too? The original Google maps app was a crippled, dumbed down version of the Android app, better data or not. And nothing was going to change until Apple kicked Google to the curb. Yes, Apple screwed up but the result isn't as dire as some would hope. Google desperately needs its apps and services on iOS. Some reports have indicated that Google makes more money from iOS than it does on its own Android. And the result is a new, much better Google maps app. There is a very symbiotic relationship between these two and I wish they would just kiss and make up.
Personally I will keep using the Apple maps app because of this nonsense from Google. Fortunately Apple has the money and market power to take action like they did, unlike the 90's when they had to kowtow to Microsoft to keep Office on the Mac.

 

And the original app was created by Apple, not Google.  The only thing Google did was provide the background data.  If you want to blame someone for the dumbed down app, blame Apple.

\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #28 of 255
Apple is the clear winner, they now have two decent map apps on their iPhone including their own which won't be found anywhere else.
MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, , Apple TV 3rd Gen, iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
Reply
MacBook Pro 17" early-2011 with 8GB RAM, , Apple TV 3rd Gen, iPhone 6 Plus 128GB Space Grey
Reply
post #29 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

That's why Google maps went to number one downloaded free app within 30 minutes of being released. Ya, nobody cares.


That tells me nothing. Give me a number and I'll tell you whether or not Google Maps is relevant. Remember... even 10 million downloads is still only slightly better than 20% of iPhone 5 buyers.

 

Nobody? I don't remember saying nobody. Hmmm... that explains who you are at least...

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #30 of 255
This shuts up the Apple map complainers. While the vast majority of iOS users will still use Apple maps.

Win-win for who?
post #31 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

I do like the new Google Maps app. If for anything, it's because of 'street-view'. However, using it on my iPad at the 2x's mode is downright ugly. As such, 'Street-view' loses quite a bit of it's flare in the smaller 1x's picture mode.
 

There's an iPad/Universal app coming (on their blog). For the sake of time they released the iPhone version first as that's obviously where most navigation occurs.

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #32 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


That tells me nothing. Give me a number and I'll tell you whether or not Google Maps is relevant. Remember... even 10 million downloads is still only slightly better than 20% of iPhone 5 buyers.

 

Nobody? I don't remember saying nobody. Hmmm... that explains who you are at least...

 

If Apple was as transparent as Google is it would be published right in the app store itself. But, they're not. I bet Google will post number in a few weeks. And "nobody" versus "vast majority" is a little bit of nit picking. I'll edit my post as to not misrepresent your opinions.

post #33 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Anecdotal evidence tells me that the Apple maps issue, although annoying for some, was overblown by a press/blogosphere that leeches on Apple's blood to gain eyeballs.

 

Almost anything - both positive and negative - surrounding Apple gets hyped out of proportion. However, there's clear evidence that Apple did screw the pooch on this one: firstly, Apple issued an apology and, secondly, people at Apple lost their jobs over the issue. 

post #34 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's why Google maps went to number one downloaded free app within 30 minutes of being released. Ya, nobody cares.

I was afraid this sort of weak thinking would make its way to this forum. I downloaded, installed and tested Google's new map app for iOS. I will not be replacing my native app or TomTom app so I can use Google's solution. I'll keep it on the last page because at under 7MB it's not taking up much space. I am like many who wanted to try it out but aren't so keen on replacing their native solution. I've seen the same from pretty much every tech blogger that uses an iPhone.


PS: I also added to Ubuntu and Win8 and Win Server 2012 downloads but I have no interest in replacing Mac OS X with them either.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #35 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

If Apple was as transparent as Google is it would be published right in the app store itself. But, they're not. I bet Google will post number in a few weeks. And "nobody" versus "vast majority" is a little bit of nit picking. I'll edit my post as to not misrepresent your opinions.


Nobody versus vast majority is nitpicking? Only in your world does 80% of the populace not count as the vast majority.

 

Misrepresentation is your forte... why stop now.

 

Transparent as Google?! Now I know you're joking. 

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #36 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Good for both the customer in that they're getting a fully-functional Navigation/mapping solution for their iOS devices as well as Google for the aforementioned reasons.
One can only hope Apple is much more careful in the future not to release such half-hearted efforts like iOS Maps as other companies might not be there to so quickly help bail them out.

 

Yes, one can only hope. But you're inflating your complaints artificially. IT'S AN APP. Others can barely get their entire late-to-the-game mobile platform up and running. Not to mention the maker of a certain "open" OS that can barely get the basics right, never mind fragmentation. 

 

Complaining about the Apple Maps app?  Goes to show how Apple spoils consumers. 

post #37 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by iVince View Post

Apple is the clear winner, they now have two decent map apps on their iPhone including their own which won't be found anywhere else.

 

This ^^^

post #38 of 255

Competition is good, and Apple is not perfect, so this is great for customers. The Google Maps app on the iPhone is 5x better now than it was prior to iOS 6, so there is a positive. Also Apple will have to work hard to win the customers back, again good.

 

Who said iOS isn't open? This shows a healthy and flourishing eco-system...

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply

Do not overrate what you have received, nor envy others.
15" Matte MacBook Pro: 2.66Ghz i7, 8GB RAM, GT330m 512MB, 512GB SSD

iPhone 5 Black 32GB

iPad 3rd Generation, 32GB

Mac Mini Core2Duo 2.26ghz,...

Reply
post #39 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Nobody versus vast majority is nitpicking? Only in your world does 80% of the populace not count as the vast majority.

 

Misrepresentation is your forte... why stop now.

 

Transparent as Google?! Now I know you're joking. 

 

Google is as transparent as you can get. They clearly outline everything they are doing in their privacy agreements and you can opt out of everything, which I have done.

post #40 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

 

Almost anything - both positive and negative - surrounding Apple gets hyped out of proportion. However, there's clear evidence that Apple did screw the pooch on this one: firstly, Apple issued an apology and, secondly, people at Apple lost their jobs over the issue. 


I don't think I ever said that Apple didn't screw the pooch on Apple Maps. I said it was overblown.

 

The apology and the firing of an employee cannot necessarily be construed as evidence of this.

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple