or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple - Page 2

post #41 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

At 71% global market share, android does not need the minor competitive edge that the real google maps app gives. They've already won. They're an ad company that makes money on volume. To that end, it's not even a contest.


But the money they make is tied to page views and that sort of thing, not device ownership, and by that measure, it doesn't look like Android is winning, especially if you factor in tablets. It all depends how you slice it up, because the business models are very different. You could also probably argue that neither Apple nor Google is making money from iOS/Android, and that it's all about page views (which can be facilitated by any OS) and hardware.

post #42 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

Google is as transparent as you can get. They clearly outline everything they are doing in their privacy agreements and you can opt out of everything, which I have done.


... and those court cases...   lol.gif

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #43 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


... and those court cases...   lol.gif

 

That's quite the vague reference. Many companies have been in many court cases. Google and Apple included.

post #44 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


... and those court cases...   lol.gif

 

I think those court cases were less about what Google was going to do with the information, rather more of how Google gathered the information.

 

Should Google have done that?  I'd say no.  But what Google would have done with the information is still pretty transparent.

\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #45 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

That's quite the vague reference. Many companies have been in many court cases. Google and Apple included.


Of course you would try to evade this issue.  lol.gif

 

http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_22011088/google-privacy-settlement-ftc-seems-headed-court-approval

 

Hmmmm... transparent... sure...  lol.gif

 

Fool me once...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #46 of 255

I like the google maps app. Actually its 10 times better than before. So it was the right move from apple to throw them off the system.

Now we have a much better app.

 

My opinion is that apple should realize that they can not do everything. One key success for the future is to partner with specific companies. Even if its google. When they have the best content for maps then go ahead apple and license it. 

 

Put me in the CEO position and I would stop apple's own mapping ambitions and start working on products and services again which make the apple eco system the best in the world.

 

It absolutely makes no sense to build up an own mapping solution when everybody is happy with google maps.

post #47 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

At 71% global market share, android does not need the minor competitive edge that the real google maps app gives. They've already won. They're an ad company that makes money on volume. To that end, it's not even a contest.

 

 

Android has had majority share for a long time now. This is nothing new. Apple runs a closed OS that runs on a limited number of devices (with good reason.) Yet iOS constantly pistol-whips Android in consumer satisfaction. EVERY YEAR. Why is that? Why are iOS devices consistently best-sellers? Why does it take an ocean of flotsam and jetsam from Android OEMs to equal the success of a mere 2-3 iPhone models? Why does iOS constantly lead Android in actual web usage?

 

It's very easy to whore out your OS to anyone that can slam together a box and not give a damn about the experience. The lazy-man's way to market share. Keep puffing up share numbers by spreading around garbage - much of which doesn't even qualify as a "smartphone" while masquerading as one in the measurements. 

 

 

Where the rubber meets the road (every year):

 

 

 

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57398726-37/iphone-again-scores-top-spot-at-customer-satisfaction/

 
Most recent:
 

 

 

 

 

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/03/18/apples-iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/

 

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/08/apple-again-tops-j-d-power-rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

 

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/09/j-d-power-smartphone-study-ranks-iphone-1-in-customer-satisfac/

 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/iphone-wins-top-business-smartphone-satisfaction-marks/

 

 

 

 

 

 

ScreenShot2012-05-28at75101PM.jpg

 

 

 

This one's interesting:

 

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/09/iphone-satisfaction-at-75-closest-competitor-at-47/

 

 

 

 

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind for every iPhone that has ever existed, for every single year of the product's existence. 

 

From Day 1.

 

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/orchant/iphone-satisfaction-numbers-are-unreal/523

 

http://seekingalpha.com/article/44709-early-iphone-adopters-extremely-satisfied

 

 

(That's alright. We won't even talk about tablets.)

post #48 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

 

I think those court cases were less about what Google was going to do with the information, rather more of how Google gathered the information.

 

Should Google have done that?  I'd say no.  But what Google would have done with the information is still pretty transparent.


Does this sound transparent:

 

"According to the FTC, Google told Safari users that their browser was automatically set up to block third party “cookies” —small pieces of data used to track online activity— so users had no need to opt into more restrictive privacy settings.  However, Google allegedly circumvented Safari’s default settings and used these “cookies” to map users’ preferences and generate targeted advertisements. The FTC claims that this misrepresentation violated the Google Buzz decree and warranted a substantial civil penalty."

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #49 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Of course you would try to evade this issue.  lol.gif

 

http://www.siliconvalley.com/ci_22011088/google-privacy-settlement-ftc-seems-headed-court-approval

 

I say again, Google allows for the opt out of tracking cookies among other opt outs. And as AsianBob pointed out, they are very transparent about what they do and don't do with the collected information. Google maintained that tracking was improper coding and was unintentional. But, who knows about that.

post #50 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Does this sound transparent:

 

"According to the FTC, Google told Safari users that their browser was automatically set up to block third party “cookies” —small pieces of data used to track online activity— so users had no need to opt into more restrictive privacy settings.  However, Google allegedly circumvented Safari’s default settings and used these “cookies” to map users’ preferences and generate targeted advertisements. The FTC claims that this misrepresentation violated the Google Buzz decree and warranted a substantial civil penalty."

 

Sounds like poor privacy protection on Apple's front.

post #51 of 255

I like Apple maps and Google maps and will use both.  The winner here is the consumer, it's great having options and competition keeps these companies on their toes.

post #52 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Android has had majority share for a long time now. This is nothing new. Apple runs a closed OS that runs on a limited number of devices (with good reason.) Yet iOS constantly pistol-whips Android in consumer satisfaction. EVERY YEAR. Why is that? Why are iOS devices consistently best-sellers? Why does it take an ocean of flotsam and jetsam from Android OEMs to equal the success of a mere 2-3 iPhone models? Why does iOS constantly lead Android in actual web usage?

 

It's very easy to whore out your OS to anyone that can slam together a box and not give a damn about the experience. The lazy-man's way to market share. Keep puffing up share numbers by spreading around garbage - much of which doesn't even qualify as a "smartphone" while masquerading as one in the measurements. 

 

 

Where the rubber meets the road (every year):

 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57398726-37/iphone-again-scores-top-spot-at-customer-satisfaction/

 
Most recent:
 

 

 

http://mashable.com/2011/09/09/apple-customer-satisfaction-survey/

 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/briancaulfield/2011/03/18/apples-iphone-tops-jd-power-customer-satisfaction-survey-again/

 

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/08/apple-again-tops-j-d-power-rankings-of-smartphone-consumer-satisfaction/

 

http://www.tuaw.com/2009/10/09/j-d-power-smartphone-study-ranks-iphone-1-in-customer-satisfac/

 

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2008/11/iphone-wins-top-business-smartphone-satisfaction-marks/

 

 

This one's interesting:

 

http://www.loopinsight.com/2012/01/09/iphone-satisfaction-at-75-closest-competitor-at-47/

 

Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind for every iPhone that has ever existed, for every single year of the product's existence. 

 

From Day 1.

 

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/orchant/iphone-satisfaction-numbers-are-unreal/523

 

http://seekingalpha.com/article/44709-early-iphone-adopters-extremely-satisfied

 

 

(That's alright. We won't even talk about tablets.)

 

That's why CNet's top smartphone this year is a Samsung....

 

http://reviews.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/top-gifts/

 

And Samsung Galaxy series has outsold the iPhone 5. Don't put too much weight with what the customer satisfaction surveys say. If they weren't satisfied, they wouldn't continue to sell so many tens of millions.

post #53 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bee View Post

I like the google maps app. Actually its 10 times better than before. So it was the right move from apple to throw them off the system.
Now we have a much better app.

My opinion is that apple should realize that they can not do everything. One key success for the future is to partner with specific companies. Even if its google. When they have the best content for maps then go ahead apple and license it. 

Put me in the CEO position and I would stop apple's own mapping ambitions and start working on products and services again which make the apple eco system the best in the world.

It absolutely makes no sense to build up an own mapping solution when everybody is happy with google maps.

1) Your first two comments seemingly contradict each other. You say it was the right move by Apple because it got Google to make a decent app for iOS which would not have been possible to get all those features if Apple stayed partnered but then you go on to say that Apple shouldn't do certain stuff themselves and should partner.

2) Apple does partner with their new Apple Maps. There are about a dozen companies they use to grab data from around the world.

3) Apple making their own maps is a move toward making the Apple ecosystem the best in the world. This is why their Maps app is now better than their previous Maps app previously powered by Google.

4) Clearly everyone wasn't happy with Google Maps otherwise Apple would have kept it. Would you have been happy with continuing to have vector maps or TbT? Even a cheap phone running an older version of Android had that. Google put Apple in a corner and Apple made the best possible decision. You now have a native iOS Maps app that is better than before and you have Google Maps for iOS as an option if for some reason you can't or won't use Apple Maps. iOS users are better off than pre-iOS 6.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #54 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bee View Post

It absolutely makes no sense to build up an own mapping solution when everybody is happy with google maps.

You must not be aware that Google maps on iOS were way behind Maps on Android. There were people buying Android instead of iPhone just because it came with turn-by-turn directions for free. Android makers were advertising the same. I don't think you can say everyone was happy with Google maps.

post #55 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

That's why Google maps went to number one downloaded free app within 30 minutes of being released. Ya, the vast majority surely don't care.


I think you should look again youtube is the top app and google maps is not even on the charts.

 

I have switched off sending anonymous data from the maps app so they should not be getting any data from me (unless someone knows otherwise).

 

One major problem I have is that there are no options to change the Units, everything is in feet and miles, and there is no way to change the voice, the synthesised voice for French road names is completly uncomprehensible.

post #56 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post I am like many who wanted to try it out but aren't so keen on replacing their native solution. I've seen the same from pretty much every tech blogger that uses an iPhone.
PS: I also added to Ubuntu and Win8 and Win Server 2012 downloads but I have no interest in replacing Mac OS X with them either.

Soli, nearly every tech blogger I've seen comments from has indicated that Google Maps is their recommended nav app over Apple's own so I think it's really the other way around. The editors at Ars, TheVerge, Techcrunch and Engadget all write that Google Maps for iOS outshines Apple's efforts so far. Even the typically Apple-friendly bloggers have the same opinion. For example MG Siegler said:

 

"It’s great. I’ve been using it all morning to get around. It’s worth it for the clearly superior place search functionality alone.

Judging from my inbox/replies/etc, it seems like a lot of folks expect me to take a shit on the app. I’m not going to do that. As I’ve always said, my only requirement to use something is that it be the best. And that’s clearly the case here.

Google Maps is superior to Apple Maps in most (though not quite all) ways. And I’m excited to have it back on the iPhone. I’ll be using it constantly."

 

David Pogue in his review says "Google Maps for iPhone is a home run" while also saying that with Apple Maps "You wind up with a deep mistrust of the app that’s hard to shake."

 

It doesn't mean that their opinions are necessarily more valid than yours or anyone else's. But your claim that "pretty much every tech blogger that uses an iPhone" wouldn't want to replace Apple Maps app with Google's doesn't seem to have much support going by what I've read.

 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #57 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

Now there isn't any reason not to upgrade to iOS 6, and we don't have to hear about "mapgate" any more. Apple's map app was 10x better than the old Google app, but no one would know from the blogosphere.

Technically, Apple developed the "old" Maps app on iOS 1-5. It used Google Maps data.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #58 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

And Samsung Galaxy series has outsold the iPhone 5.

So the entirety of the Samsung Galaxy series has outsold a device that only launched 3 months ago (and only today in China)? Why is that is unexpected or noteworthy to you?
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/14/12 at 8:02am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #59 of 255
The real truth is Google Maps is prone of errors too. I had two quite serious problems with Maps app on iOS5 this year. So Google Maps app is just the better of two evils.
post #60 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So the entirety of the Samsung Galaxy series has outsold a device that only launched 3 months ago (and only yesterday in China)? Why is that is unexpected or noteworthy to you?


He/she is diverting the maps issue and hijacking the thread.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #61 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

Sounds like poor privacy protection on Apple's front.

 

If I leave a window open and you climb inside and nick my stuff, that is still burglary - even if I left the window open.

 

What Google did was break the trust of their users.

 

Unforgivable

post #62 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverInDoubt View Post

This shuts up the Apple map complainers. While the vast majority of iOS users will still use Apple maps.
Win-win for who?

 

 

Yes...there are going to be many people who won't download google map because the default map app is good enough or they have little need for a map app in the first place.  I have downloaded Google map but I am still using apple map app because it is good enough.

 

I don't understand the analyst's logic.  From google's perspective, the best scenario is for Apple to have never kicked Google map out.  The worst scenario is for Apple to replace Google Map with a killer map app.  Both scenarios didn't materialise.  But under current circumstances, how can Google be better off in any sense compared to Apple not removing Google map in IOS6?

 

If Apple continues to improve on its map app leaps and bounds then going forward there will be less and less iphone users needing to download Google Map, unless Google Map keeps improving its functionality and publicize hard.  Under these scenario, IOS users win.

 

Now I really hope that Apple enters into search business too.  Why not? They have lots of cash and search business is profitable.  And why not, hurt Google in their own backyard and see who has the last laugh.  By then, chances are Google will just 'gift' the whole Android OS to Samsung and return to their search business.

post #63 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Soli, nearly every tech blogger I've seen comments from has indicated that Google Maps is their recommended nav app over Apple's own so I think it's really the other way around. The editors at Ars, TheVerge, Techcrunch and Engadget all write that Google Maps for iOS outshines Apple's efforts so far. Even the typically Apple-friendly bloggers have the same opinion. For example MG Siegler said:

[...]

You're right, I misspoke.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #64 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


He/she is diverting the maps issue and hijacking the thread.

 

It's funny I thought the same thing but the other way around. Others made this about an Android/iPhone argument, not I. I am making it worse so I need to be done. I'm a firm believer of to each his own and more competition is always good for the consumer. I've read this website everyday for a decade now. I just get angry with people always needing for it to be their way and only their way is right. Drives me nuts.

post #65 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiffy31 View Post


I think you should look again youtube is the top app and google maps is not even on the charts.

Huh? Unless I'm missing something...as of this moment:

 

http://www.apple.com/itunes/charts/free-apps/

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #66 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

Sounds like poor privacy protection on Apple's front.
Sounds like your evading the subject.
And your wrong by the way: you cannot protect against (Googles) social engineering.

J.
post #67 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Does this sound transparent:

 

"According to the FTC, Google told Safari users that their browser was automatically set up to block third party “cookies” —small pieces of data used to track online activity— so users had no need to opt into more restrictive privacy settings.  However, Google allegedly circumvented Safari’s default settings and used these “cookies” to map users’ preferences and generate targeted advertisements. The FTC claims that this misrepresentation violated the Google Buzz decree and warranted a substantial civil penalty."

 

I would say that in a way, it still does.  What Google was going for was to add a +1 to the ads that they were already serving to the users.  If that's all Google was doing and the cookies were accidentally generated (as Google claims), then I see this more as fearmongering than anything.  The +1 feature is hardly invading anyone's privacy.

\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #68 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

 

I would say that in a way, it still does.  What Google was going for was to add a +1 to the ads that they were already serving to the users.  If that's all Google was doing and the cookies were accidentally generated (as Google claims), then I see this more as fearmongering than anything.  The +1 feature is hardly invading anyone's privacy.


As long as you believe Google. Obviously a $22.5 million penalty says that there was at least some mistrust in Google's claims.

 

To me saying one thing and then doing another is not transparency.

 

I believe that saying Google accidentally does anything is foolish... unless one also believes that Google is completely incompetent.


Edited by island hermit - 12/14/12 at 8:22am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #69 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

I say again, Google allows for the opt out of tracking cookies among other opt outs. And as AsianBob pointed out, they are very transparent about what they do and don't do with the collected information. Google maintained that tracking was improper coding and was unintentional. But, who knows about that.
Google is also help by the fact Android Phans are stupid and gullible and believe excuses like "improper coding and was unintentional" without looking at how it was done and could easily tell it was intentional and that googles whole purpose on desktop and mobile/android is tracking people to sell to advertisers. Opting out is merely a switch... that does nothing
post #70 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Keep puffing up share numbers by spreading around garbage - much of which doesn't even qualify as a "smartphone" while masquerading as one in the measurements. 

 

1rolleyes.gif

 

This "doesn't even count as a smartphone" BS needs to stop. It's used by the worst fanboys on both sides of the divide.

post #71 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


As long as you believe Google. Obviously a $22.5 million says that there was at least some mistrust in Google's claims.

 

To me saying one thing and then doing another is not transparency.

 

And I'm glad there everyone settled on a fine instead of dragging this out in court, wasting taxpayers time.  The thing is that without a proper trial, all we have is allegations.  Maybe in a full trial it would have been proven that the cookies were inadvertantly generated.

 

I'm not going to claim that Google is 100% transparent (as these incidents show).  However, compared to many other companies out there, Google's is a lot more transparent.  Just the fact that there's a whole Dashboard that lets me see what they've collected and lets me limit what they collect puts it ahead of a lot of others in my book.

 

We have gotten way off track from the thread topic, so this'll be my last word on this.


Edited by AsianBob - 12/14/12 at 8:34am
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #72 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisely View Post


Yes...there are going to be many people who won't download google map because the default map app is good enough or they have little need for a map app in the first place.  I have downloaded Google map but I am still using apple map app because it is good enough.

I don't understand the analyst's logic.  From google's perspective, the best scenario is for Apple to have never kicked Google map out.  The worst scenario is for Apple to replace Google Map with a killer map app.  Both scenarios didn't materialise.  But under current circumstances, how can Google be better off in any sense compared to Apple not removing Google map in IOS6?

If Apple continues to improve on its map app leaps and bounds then going forward there will be less and less iphone users needing to download Google Map, unless Google Map keeps improving its functionality and publicize hard.  Under these scenario, IOS users win.

Now I really hope that Apple enters into search business too.  Why not? They have lots of cash and search business is profitable.  And why not, hurt Google in their own backyard and see who has the last laugh.  By then, chances are Google will just 'gift' the whole Android OS to Samsung and return to their search business.

And, if I may add: opt out of the default enabled 'report my data to Google' if you have to use Gmaps; it's kind of hidden under 'About, terms & privacy' (select head icon -> gear icon)
No need to enhance the service.

J.
post #73 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bee View Post

I like the google maps app. Actually its 10 times better than before. So it was the right move from apple to throw them off the system.
Now we have a much better app.

My opinion is that apple should realize that they can not do everything. One key success for the future is to partner with specific companies. Even if its google. When they have the best content for maps then go ahead apple and license it. 

Put me in the CEO position and I would stop apple's own mapping ambitions and start working on products and services again which make the apple eco system the best in the world.

It absolutely makes no sense to build up an own mapping solution when everybody is happy with google maps.
Thank God you are not their CEO!!!! Apple builds thier own to maintain a minimum standard. The reason Googles mobile data was better was because of the massive IOS source data they had from users who actually use their phones, alot. I work pushed Microsoft to finally update office on the Mac, and they will have to continue to hold Googles feet to the fire. If you are going to have a competitor supply an important part of your platform you have to make sure the don't hold you back to keep you at a competitive disadvantage. This is precisely what Google was doing with maps.
post #74 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

 

Apple has looked weak lately. Having several major releases back in October (I believe it was October) and then not being able to launch the iMac for months. The Apple Store now gives a ship date of Jan for the 27" iMac. Stock could very well drop under 500.00 when a few months ago their was talk of it going to 1000.00.

 

Missteps, sure, there have been a few. The Maps apology was the biggest one in my mind... the firings "at this time" being the next... not Maps in and of itself but the introduction was far from smooth.

 

If you didn't realize it, AAPL is heavily manipulated... I'm guessing by the hedge funds.

 

... and, yes, the stock will probably drop below $500 before the end of the month, death cross and all... but January's iPad and iPhone figures will easily propel Apple to a record quarter... then AAPL will slowly rise to above $700.

 

Next year should be interesting for Apple. I believe it is a make or break year.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #75 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoadm View Post


Google is also help by the fact Android Phans are stupid and gullible and believe excuses like "improper coding and was unintentional" without looking at how it was done and could easily tell it was intentional and that googles whole purpose on desktop and mobile/android is tracking people to sell to advertisers. Opting out is merely a switch... that does nothing

 

If that were true, then what makes you believe that other companies aren't doing the same thing with the "switch that does nothing"?

 

I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but so far, I haven't seen anything bad come of the data Google collects on my browsing habits.  Maybe some better targeted ads based on what I've recently searched, but nothing more.

\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
\Apple has always had competition. It's just been in its blind spot.
Reply
post #76 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's why CNet's top smartphone this year is a Samsung....

http://reviews.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/top-gifts/

And Samsung Galaxy series has outsold the iPhone 5. Don't put too much weight with what the customer satisfaction surveys say. If they weren't satisfied, they wouldn't continue to sell so many tens of millions.
And Time magazine named iPhone 5 the top gadget of the year. What's your point?
post #77 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post


And Time magazine named iPhone 5 the top gadget of the year. What's your point?

 

Obfuscation.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #78 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Also lets face it Steve Jobs would have never allowed Google maps back on the iPhone this is an admission from Apple that their maps were awful.

How do justify this statement? Google has plenty of apps in the App Store and there were 3rd-party mapping apps since the App Store was formed. So long as they follow the rules there is no reason to keep them off the store. Is there even one example where an app wasn't allowed on the store that wasn't violating a rule?

Apple's goal is to sell more devices. Better apps on the iOS than on other platforms helps achieve that goal. I see nothing that would have prevented Google Maps on iOS if Steve Jobs were alive.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #79 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

The Apple maps situation was a fairly big deal in the media. Also lets face it Steve Jobs would have never allowed Google maps back on the iPhone this is an admission from Apple that their maps were awful.

Now I know this forum consists of people outside of the US but when CNN and Foxnews both give an App time on their national news I find that to be a big deal. I also find it interesting when a topic doesn't support Apple this forum expands the topic. Quadra posts are a perfect example of that expantion to try and deflect from the core topic.

Apple has looked weak lately. Having several major releases back in October (I believe it was October) and then not being able to launch the iMac for months. The Apple Store now gives a ship date of Jan for the 27" iMac. Stock could very well drop under 500.00 when a few months ago their was talk of it going to 1000.00.

As of late Apple has not had a good stretch the only positive in the last few months at least perception wise was the iPad Mini. People can disagree this is simply my opinion. I am not saying Apple is Doomed or anything of that nature, just commenting that their have been some issues of late, when you are on top as I have stated before the media loves to pull you back down. Again just my opinion.
What do you mean not being able to launch the iMacs for months? People right now are getting their iMacs delivered - both models. The only real negative has been maps and the guy most responsible for them was fired. I don't think any of Apple's Mac products drive the stock price. All Wall Street cares about is iPhone and iPad and the mythical iTV.
post #80 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

And I'm glad there everyone settled on a fine instead of dragging this out in court, wasting taxpayers time.  The thing is that without a proper trial, all we have is allegations.  Maybe in a full trial it would have been proven that the cookies were inadvertantly generated.

I'm not going to claim that Google is 100% transparent (as these incidents show).  However, compared to many other companies out there, Google's is a lot more transparent.  Just the fact that there's a whole Dashboard that lets me see what they've collected and lets me limit what they collect puts it ahead of a lot of others in my book.

Note that Google is inherently untrustworthy, that's because they are interested in selling your data and keeping you as long and as often as possible in 'ad land'. It's comparable to MS first loyalty to companies instead of the customers they sell the software to.

J.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple