or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple - Page 3

post #81 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


How do justify this statement? Google has plenty of apps in the App Store and there were 3rd-party mapping apps since the App Store was formed. So long as they follow the rules there is no reason to keep them off the store. Is there even one example where an app wasn't allowed on the store that wasn't violating a rule?
Apple's goal is to sell more devices. Better apps on the iOS than on other platforms helps achieve that goal. I see nothing that would have prevented Google Maps on iOS if Steve Jobs were alive.

I remember some app being rejected "pornography" when it really sold bathing suits or something.  I can't remember. That's the only time I remember them apologizing for rejecting an app on bogus grounds

post #82 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

How do justify this statement? Google has plenty of apps in the App Store and there were 3rd-party mapping apps since the App Store was formed. So long as they follow the rules there is no reason to keep them off the store. Is there even one example where an app wasn't allowed on the store that wasn't violating a rule?
Apple's goal is to sell more devices. Better apps on the iOS than on other platforms helps achieve that goal. I see nothing that would have prevented Google Maps on iOS if Steve Jobs were alive.
What Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed was a native maps app that had Google's branding. Makes perfect sense to me considering Google is one of Apple's biggest competitors. It blows my mind that people would expect Apple to allow this.
post #83 of 255
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post
Also lets face it Steve Jobs would have never…

 

Let's face it, anyone who uses this in a post when they're not joking has completely invalidated whatever other point they had.


Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
What Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed was a native maps app that had Google's branding.

 

Let's clarify what you mean here. iPhone OS 1-iOS 5's Maps has Google branding.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #84 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

 

If that were true, then what makes you believe that other companies aren't doing the same thing with the "switch that does nothing"?

 

I know it's only anecdotal evidence, but so far, I haven't seen anything bad come of the data Google collects on my browsing habits.  Maybe some better targeted ads based on what I've recently searched, but nothing more.

 

Im sure a lot of companies do lie about not tracking. My browser is set to send the do not track header but after logging into Facebook I get 8 cookies and 10 tracking cookies. Google and Facebook would be 2 of the worst as all their revenue comes from advertising. A wise man once said, when a product is free, you are the product. This is why Android has no licensing fee and the reason for its market share, not cause its good, just free
post #85 of 255

I love Apple Maps for what it does.  Turn-by-turn is clear and practical and hasn't (yet) let me down in the difficult streets of Boston/ Cambridge.  I prefer the layout and interface of Apple Maps to Google Maps.  I like the Siri/ voice integration.

 

However, the public transit omission stings.  Of the "third party solutions" that Apple has punted to, Google Maps is by far the best and the only way to use it is to be fully kicked out of the Apple Maps application.  Street view is also missed (though not quite as much).

 

These last two points are the reason that I, personally, find myself using Google Maps a lot more than I'd prefer.  It's easy to see how, for a lot of people, it makes more sense for them to use Google Maps as a one-stop that does everything they need wrt mapping.

post #86 of 255
I guess I'm missing something here. Everyone keeps complaining about MAPS by Apple, but I have never had any problems. I love the turn by turn feature. We put it up against our navigator in the car and it got us there, where the car navigator got lost. The place we were going to has been around for 76 years, so it's not like it was a new place, or new street to find. Apple MAPS just did it better. Had we followed the one in the car we would have had to call the place we were going to - it took us to the middle of the desert and said "You've arrived at your destination". HUH? Meanwhile, Apple MAPS kept going getting us there.

So maybe in some areas it's not good, but traveling in California, Arizona and Nevada - no problems on Apple's MAPS.
post #87 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What Steve Jobs wouldn't have allowed was a native maps app that had Google's branding. Makes perfect sense to me considering Google is one of Apple's biggest competitors. It blows my mind that people would expect Apple to allow this.

What makes you believe Google could have offered one with Apple branding?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #88 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsalt View Post

I remember some app being rejected "pornography" when it really sold bathing suits or something.  I can't remember. That's the only time I remember them apologizing for rejecting an app on bogus grounds

i think that would still fall under breaking the rules for the App Store, it's just that app vetters were mistaken. It certainly wasn't spiteful.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #89 of 255

"mixed blessing" is putting it mildly.

 

Google Maps is an outright malediction for iOS.  I urge Apple fans not to use it.

 

But I think Apple Maps can eventually succeed to make it irrelevant to iOS users.

 

Time will tell.

post #90 of 255

I happen to really like Apple's Maps app. I downloaded Google Maps yesterday to try it out, but it is presently relegated to the last page of apps on my phone and I have no real intention of using it unless absolutely necessary. So far, even before yesterdays release, I have had no need to venture beyond Apple Maps.

post #91 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

That's why CNet's top smartphone this year is a Samsung....

http://reviews.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/top-gifts/

And Samsung Galaxy series has outsold the iPhone 5. Don't put too much weight with what the customer satisfaction surveys say. If they weren't satisfied, they wouldn't continue to sell so many tens of millions.
And Time magazine named iPhone 5 the top gadget of the year. What's your point?

 

In any case, the cnet review wasn't ranking the phones - just suggesting gifts. The IP5 was also there, with the same ratings, and, if you narrow the category just to smartphones, appears before the SG3.

post #92 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

I love google maps, however I tested yesterday to go to a meeting that I have for a job and the turn by turn was good but when I got close to the destination, google maps thought that it was in a corner the final destination when in fact was the next corner down and a right. It got me close but not exactly where I was suppose to go. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by t2000tjt View Post

Google maps turn by turn directions are terrible. I used them last night, and luckily I already knew where I was going, but Google maps had me doing U turns, and all kinds of crazy things.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoadm View Post


Agreed. Google directions in Australia are shocking. It's good to see they have finally entered some previously missing roads but it still directs you down one way roads the wrong way or to drive straight through a dead end. 

 

How dare you suggest that Google is anything but 100% perfect or ever had issues. We all know that Google was birthed full form and issue free some 7 plus years ago and has been that way ever since. You are all liars and should be ashamed of yourselves. 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


We didn't have to hear about mapgate before.  1biggrin.gif

 

Anecdotal evidence tells me that the Apple maps issue, although annoying for some, was overblown by a press/blogosphere that leeches on Apple's blood to gain eyeballs.

 

Indeed. Folks forget that all mapping services have issues, particularly new ones. But some of the 'issues' aren't really at all. Things like the pin for the Washington Monument being 'at a bus stop' not at the monument is a factor of the 'legal' address being at that spot not in the middle of the park. These things are what were in the data provided, same as the whole two Mildura cities in the official gazetteer and will be tweaked and corrected as needed

post #93 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

That's why Google maps went to number one downloaded free app within 30 minutes of being released. Ya, the vast majority surely don't care.

 

Numbers? Without that then it's hard to really count 'doubled', 'number one' etc. 

 

That list adjusts as time goes by so if every other app gets 1-10 downloads during a particular hour and Google Maps gets 11 then it is the top of the list. But it really doesn't mean much. 

 

And ultimately what is the keep rate. A lot of folks will download any app that is free that they are curious about but that doesn't mean they will keep it on their device and use it. 

 

So all this really tells us is that a bunch of folks were curious, not really anything beyond that. 

post #94 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

 

And the original app was created by Apple, not Google.  The only thing Google did was provide the background data.  If you want to blame someone for the dumbed down app, blame Apple.

 

Not exactly. The lack of turn by turn etc was just as much because Google wouldn't provide the data as what was in the app functionality

post #95 of 255

No, it's not a "mixed blessing", it's solely positive, no matter what these shit-filled analysts want to push in order to create controversy and drama. It's simply a secondary high quality option available to users, and now the situation on iOS is both Apple and Google competing to make the best maps possible on the platform, which couldn't be better. For the record I've extensively tested the app, and have no intention of switching to it as my primary mapping app- but its nice to have. 

 

Oh, and **** the stock. **** it up the ass. 

post #96 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

 Also lets face it Steve Jobs would have never 

 

No matter what is written next the reply is the same. You aren't Steve Jobs, you didn't know Steve Jobs, so really you have no clue. So please stop acting and talking you do. This was merely your opinion no more or less but framing it as "Steve Jobs would never" is just an attempt to make it sound more legit. But it doesn't. So just state YOUR opinion and leave the dead man out of it. 

post #97 of 255
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post
Just because you say it doesn't make it true.

 

Exactly. SO STOP SAYING IT unless you're joking.

 

…no matter how much you dislike it doesn't change perception.

 

Yes, I've noticed that some people will actively choose to be wrong even when they're told of their error.

 

Members of an enthusiast forum are not an accurate representation of the general public.

 

So… Steve Jobs WOULDN'T have done any of the things you've said he'd do, given that you're not accurate.

 

For those that track Apple on a regular basis if they believe Steve Jobs would have done something differently and the outcome would have been better, perception is reality.

 

I don't think you understand what 'reality' is, and that's frightening.


 Get a clue, people like you acted as if Steve Jobs was a God…

 

This is just precious.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #98 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I have a lot of AAPL stock I never get confused that the stock market isn't manipulated. The only issue is people on this forum believe AAPL is the only one. The entire stock market is manipulated, just trend oil for a while if you want to see real manipulation. 

 

I follow the markets very closely and there are very few stocks that are manipulated as heavily as AAPL (I'm talking about the major players).

 

Commodities are always heavily manipulated. Natural gas being as good an example as oil, gold being another.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #99 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by razormaid View Post

I guess I'm missing something here. Everyone keeps complaining about MAPS by Apple, but I have never had any problems. I love the turn by turn feature. We put it up against our navigator in the car and it got us there, where the car navigator got lost. The place we were going to has been around for 76 years, so it's not like it was a new place, or new street to find. Apple MAPS just did it better. Had we followed the one in the car we would have had to call the place we were going to - it took us to the middle of the desert and said "You've arrived at your destination". HUH? Meanwhile, Apple MAPS kept going getting us there.
So maybe in some areas it's not good, but traveling in California, Arizona and Nevada - no problems on Apple's MAPS.

No, you're not missing anything.

There is an army of people out there who attack Apple relentlessly no matter how good the products are.

The situation is simple:
Apple maps have x errors.
Google maps have y errors.

In spite of all the screaming about Apple's maps, no one has yet provided any evidence that x is greater than y, much less that any difference is significant.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #100 of 255
post #101 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

At 71% global market share, android does not need the minor competitive edge that the real google maps app gives. They've already won. They're an ad company that makes money on volume. To that end, it's not even a contest.

 

It is doubtful Google is making any money on Android, even if you ignore the 12.5 billion dumped into the money-losing proposition that is Motorola.  At (roughly) 71% global profit share, it really isn't a contest, your're right about that. 

post #102 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Good for both the customer in that they're getting a fully-functional Navigation/mapping solution for their iOS devices as well as Google for the aforementioned reasons.
One can only hope Apple is much more careful in the future not to release such half-hearted efforts like iOS Maps as other companies might not be there to so quickly help bail them out.

Once again, you fail to see what's really happening right before your eyes. The fact is that Google failed to keep it's former IOS app "up to snuff" with it's other offerings to Android and was dragging it's feet in fixing it (which is it's privilege). Apple did the smartest thing possible, which was to show Google what it would be missing by not being on IOS devices and, whadda you know ..... google "suddenly"is able to offer the quality map experience that it should have offered in the first place. Go figure.

 

Don't look now DaHarder ..... but your irrelevance is showing.

Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
Apple is not Appl ...... Please learn the difference!    
Reply
post #103 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metrix View Post

Google NSA Relationship Secrecy Continues Despite Courts Efforts

http://searchenginewatch.com/article/2175369/Google-NSA-Relationship-Secrecy-Continues-Despite-Courts-Efforts

 

NSA whistleblower 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuET0kpHoyM

Isn't the NSA's relationship with everyone a secret? Telcos, internet service providers, search engines, communication device providers...

 

At least Google does announce the number of demands (and number of times they say no) for access to user data from law enforcement and government agencies to call attention to it. I don't recall anyone else (Apple, Microsoft, Earthlink, Yahoo, etc) willing to talk about it, much less offer any numbers.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #104 of 255

Funny how so many people are upset by Google Maps (on every forum I've visited).

 

Let me get this straight: Google releases a high quality Maps App for iOS users. All iOS users benefit from this because it has improved their overall experience by giving them another quality App to add to their eco-system. Everyone wins.

 

So why is it that people are complaining? Are you that upset to see Apple & iOS users receive something that benefits them? Because really, I can't see any reason to complain unless you're an Apple hater and dislike seeing Apple users get anything to make their lives better.

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply

Author of The Fuel Injection Bible

Reply
post #105 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Funny how so many people are upset by Google Maps (on every forum I've visited).

 

Let me get this straight: Google releases a high quality Maps App for iOS users. All iOS users benefit from this because it has improved their overall experience by giving them another quality App to add to their eco-system. Everyone wins.

 

So why is it that people are complaining? Are you that upset to see Apple & iOS users receive something that benefits them? Because really, I can't see any reason to complain unless you're an Apple hater and dislike seeing Apple users get anything to make their lives better.


Hmmm... I read the thread and I didn't really think the overall feeling was that of a complaint. Over all I think most people are fine with it.

 

[oh, sorry... I see you mention other forums]

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #106 of 255

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #107 of 255

I tried using Google's turn-by-turn yesterday in New Zealand and gave up after 5 minutes. What a disaster - it simply couldn't locate me once I'd started moving and then went on a mental rant giving me sporadic directions from all around the city. Hopefully they get this sorted...

I'm one of those unusual beings who enjoys both his Apple and Samsung products. 
Reply
I'm one of those unusual beings who enjoys both his Apple and Samsung products. 
Reply
post #108 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHarder View Post

Good for both the customer in that they're getting a fully-functional Navigation/mapping solution for their iOS devices as well as Google for the aforementioned reasons.
One can only hope Apple is much more careful in the future not to release such half-hearted efforts like iOS Maps as other companies might not be there to so quickly help bail them out.

 

Yet another demonstration of why iOS is the number one platform for developers.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #109 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Win-win for Google? What about the millions of dollars Apple used to pay Google for data that Google now has to eat? What about having turn-by-turn on iOS which used to be a competitive advantage for Android? What about taking pressure off Apple Maps so that version 2.0 can be worked on out of the spotlight?

What I thought of it. At the worst APPLE forced Googles hand. 

 

OTOH the Apple  map product has worked just fine for me on my 5 since I bought it at it's release and on my 4s before that (where with 3G  the greater efficiency of vector drawing was very apparent). I like the speed, lack of clutter and reasonable directions along with the audible turn by turn and audible directions the Google built in app never had. Were I to need mass transit I might check out the Google offering, but otherwise: don't feel any need to.


Edited by jfc1138 - 12/14/12 at 11:20am
post #110 of 255

"now be able to generate location-based advertising and other revenues from iPhone users who use the app"

 

Yet one more reason not to go near the thing.

post #111 of 255
Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

For the vast majority of his years Steve Jobs was considered a failure.

 

And that's a complete lie.

 

'76-'85 and '96-'11. So that's 9 years plus 15 years. 24 years.

 

Let's call 1976 a "failure" because the Apple II wasn't out yet and 1980 a "failure" because of the Apple III.  1985 was a "failure" because he was fired. 24 minus 3 is 21.

 

Let's call his entire first two years back at Apple a "failure" because they didn't turn a profit. Let's call 2000 a "failure" because of the PowerMac G4 Cube and 2005 a "failure" because of the PowerMac G5 that leaked coolant. 2001 was a "failure" because the iPod didn't have Windows support, and 2002 was a failure because the iPod didn't have a Dock Connector. 21 minus 6 is 15.

 

So 15 out of the 24 years he was at Apple were successful years. I'm sure you can add to the failures list, but it's not at all looking like "the vast majority" were failures.

 

 Apple almost when out of business and was seen as a grain of sand compared to Microsoft.

 

None of those years were Jobs'.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #112 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnjnjn View Post


And, if I may add: opt out of the default enabled 'report my data to Google' if you have to use Gmaps; it's kind of hidden under 'About, terms & privacy' (select head icon -> gear icon)
No need to enhance the service.
J.

 

 

1wink.gif...no need for this step....

 

When I was installing Google Map, the privacy and term of use popped up.  I read through the terms carefully and found the box for allowing "Location Data Collection".  I untick it immediately.

 

Even if it is ticked it won't be of much use.  I am happy with Apple Map and won't use Google map very much.

post #113 of 255

It's good Google Map has returned to iOS 6, however I feel Apple has gained the most on this situation.

Google had to improve it's Map App to come closer to their android App.

Without an Apple Map Google would have done NOTHINg to improve their iOS Map App.

 

I'm still on iOS5 so I now have two Google Map Apps. I've only used it a bit, not registering with Google though.

It still has some local errors I've experienced on my older Google Map and also on a Samsung S3 android Google Map.

Interesting Apple Map, tried several times since Sep. on a store iPhone5, doesn't have these Map errors.

 

Soon I'll go to iOS6 and be able to compare both Map Apps on my own iPhone, then use the best.
 

post #114 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

 

Yet another demonstration of why iOS is the number one platform for developers.

 

What makes you say that? Because of app revenues? Many of the paid apps on iOS are ad supported on android and it is not published (at least I couldn't find it) how much the developers make from those ads. So it's not really fair to compare that.

 

Apple maps failed to find the restaurant I ate lunch at today. Friend with an iPhone had to download the Google maps to meet us there. Sure enough, it was there. I thought it was great timing.

post #115 of 255

Here ya' go...

 

"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
"...The calm is on the water and part of us would linger by the shore, For ships are safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for."
- Michael Lille -
Reply
post #116 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Bee View Post

I like the google maps app. Actually its 10 times better than before. So it was the right move from apple to throw them off the system.

Now we have a much better app.

 

My opinion is that apple should realize that they can not do everything. One key success for the future is to partner with specific companies. Even if its google. When they have the best content for maps then go ahead apple and license it. 

 

Put me in the CEO position and I would stop apple's own mapping ambitions and start working on products and services again which make the apple eco system the best in the world.

 

It absolutely makes no sense to build up an own mapping solution when everybody is happy with google maps.

 

Apple understands the importance of creating developer opportunities.

 

Apple's App store equals free market capitalism at it's finest.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #117 of 255
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post
Apple's App store equals free market capitalism at it's finest.

 

Here come the government regulation and censorship analogies.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #118 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post

 

That's why CNet's top smartphone this year is a Samsung....

 

http://reviews.cnet.com/holiday-gift-guide/top-gifts/

 

And Samsung Galaxy series has outsold the iPhone 5. Don't put too much weight with what the customer satisfaction surveys say. If they weren't satisfied, they wouldn't continue to sell so many tens of millions.

 

Which one?

 

All those cheap PAYG phone's dragging Android down to the lowest level as is clearly obvious from usage stats.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #119 of 255
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Soli, nearly every tech blogger I've seen comments from has indicated that Google Maps is their recommended nav app over Apple's own so I think it's really the other way around. The editors at Ars, TheVerge, Techcrunch and Engadget all write that Google Maps for iOS outshines Apple's efforts so far.

 

 

...and who pays the bills, which of those sites rely on Google advertising revenue?

 

Conflict of interest, much.

A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this webpage so it was reloaded.A problem occurred with this...
Reply
post #120 of 255
I downloaded this and tested it several times yesterday. It might be cool for people in some places other than the US or with other iPhone models not natively supporting turn by turn.

However, I thought the turn by turn was nowhere as good as my Navigon App, or Apple's own map. It also wasn't intuitive to use. For instance, you type in a place you want to go and once the app finds it I had to fiddle around to figure out how to get the app to start turn by turn.

The app also failed to tell me to make a few turns (lucky I knew where I was going). The app was also horrible at correcting routes on the fly.

My girlfriend and I both had our Iphones out. I used Apple's maps, she used Google's. Apple's maps didn't make the same mistakes, and I used Siri to get maps to give me directions. We both thought apple's maps did a better job. They also are prettier.

In truth, both Apps lack some of the cool features of Navigon. For instance, Navigon will tell me when I am speeding and I don't need an Internet connection for the app to work.

Like Apple's criticism has been inflated, I think Google's credit is over inflated. Google's app is good, but isn't the holy grail some would lead you to believe.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Launch of Google Maps for iPhone viewed as a 'mixed blessing' for Apple