or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad mini already on pace to outsell Retina iPad

Apple's iPad mini already on pace to outsell Retina iPad - Page 3

post #81 of 237

Dick, the announcement is over at 9to5Mac.

melior diabolus quem scies
post #82 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

A 40" touchscreen where the attitude can be adjusted from horizontal to vertical (and all points in between) like an easel or drafting table would be exceptional for some types of creative work.  Things like: drawing;  painting;  CAD;  drafting;  photo light table;  graphics design;  prototyping;  storyboarding; video and sound editing...

Final Cut Pro X [almost] cries out for you to reach in and "get your hands dirty" in the editing process.

Imagine doing ripple, roll, slip and slide with your fingers..

that is the ugliest set of lips on AEN. if that's supposed to be a smiley face, you could have at least used an authentic one;-)

and if you're actually selling the thought of an iOS 'super professional pad,'   I get the concept of immersive  workspace, and I like it... but it doesn't give with the 'mass market consumer experience' that Apple is trying to corner.   It's a niche device.  I just don't see it as a next or near next step ( read: 5 years out), as it current technology doesn't support it (battery, cpu, glass), and the cost would be prohibitive in the market... it would be a mac pro price for a niche market (to start).  Not to say that a tool like this would jump start a whole new app market.

I do see the 'phase out' of  trackpads and keyboards on Mac OSX, and I see it at the 13/15" size.   maybe 17" as a 'iPad Pro' market.   17" on your lap/easel is a huge  palatte.

that said, a 40" screen would be  where I'd love to see Apple license to niche markets.

post #83 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Good for Apple! :)

I've taken a very minimalist approach to my tech/electronics, recently. I've been on a mission to get rid of crappy, creaky, plasticky electronics which come with crappy, clunky interfaces and miles of cables/connectors and power bricks. The iPhone has helped immeasurably in this regard. No stand-a-lone GPS unit, no stand-a-lone camera, no stand-a-lone video camera, no stereo, etc., etc.

1) I only buy Apple products. 2) I'll always have the latest iPhone and an iPad mini (waiting for the rMini). And, 3) I will invest most of my $'s into only one large screen device. That device being the AppleTV and not 10" iPads, 13"-15" laptops or 20"-27" iMac's/Apple Monitor.

Sold my Macbook, ostensibly to purchase an 11" MBA...but decided against it. Sold my iPad 2 to get the new iPad 3. But again, didn't.

When my orig. intel iMac gives up the ghost, I may not replace it at all. If I do, it will be an MBA 11" (The new iMac's are wondrous! But, sadly, don't fit my lifestyle anymore.)

Sold my original ATV and my TV, waiting for the Apple TV. A little premature on that one. Missed the entire Formula One season. But at least saved $'s by not giving it to "Cocks" (Cox) Cable.

May invest in a TimeCapsule but it seems like dated tech now with the advent of iCloud, Dropbox, etc. I do have everything backed up on an ext. HD. (My last power brick to remove.)

Best! :)

Your post reminds me of a joke told by one of the typewriter salesman in the Tucson IBM office (ca 1972).

The short version:  A guy walks into his office wearing a brand new suit -- that was unusual to say the least...

His co-workers were kidding him about it, and one finally asked:  "why did you buy a suit like that?"

His answer:  I can wear off the rack sizes, so I asked my wife to go to Cox and pick out a seersucker suit... she went to Sears...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #84 of 237
Originally Posted by paxman View Post
That is definitely a niche computer you are talking about. And one that would be priced to match.

Mentioned that it wouldn't be a first run machine.

What would you do on such a large tablet? I can see it for graphic designers but it would need some hefty horsepower. For video editing I think the angle would be all wrong.

Dick had some great mentions. And you'd be able to change the angle.

So a third OS? 

Replacing OS X… 

Give me a real life scenario where the 15" is requirement.

Ooh, all the 17" MacBook Pro owners who begrudgingly shifted to 15" are clutching their laptops in terror…

I suppose everyone gets to do all of their work on an 8" screen in the future, huh?

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #85 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Everyone stay out of the way while TS' head explodes.

LOL

post #86 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by nht View Post

...   This isn't their idea...this was first introduced by an Apple UI alumnus in 1992 while working at Sun...Bruce Tognazzini:

This is the famous "Knowledge Navigator" of course.  

I don't see this happening at all though and it's not a direction Apple is currently moving in.  It's impractical and "old-fashioned" compared to even a basic iPad really.  

The more obvious move for future desktops (keep this under your hat in case Balmer is listening), and the direction Apple does seem to be moving, is to blend the screen and the keyboard/mouse into one unit.  As fancy as the Knowledge Navigator concept is, and as explicitly integrated as the screen and desktop seem to be in it, it still conceives of "things to look at" on the vertical surface, and "things to manipulate" on the lower horizontal surface.  It doesn't really dispense with the concept of screen and keyboard looked at this way.  

The latest iMac is very very close to "an iPad on a stick." The only patents Apple has shown on multi-touch desktops show something very similar to a "kneeling iMac" or an "iPad on a moveable/adjustable stick."  An iPad like device on a spring loaded stand of some kind, either slanted at a drafting table kind of angle, or adjustable to various angles, possibly with a detachable screen part as well, is a far more likely future desktop than this giant curved wall.  

The future is almost certainly filled with tablets, tablets, and more tablets and eventually the only difference between a tablet and a desktop will be whether you can pick it up.  And yes, we will all be typing on glass and in ten years, no one will care for regular old physical keyboards and most won't remember them.  

post #87 of 237
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

A 40" touchscreen computer is a stupid idea, there is cose to zero sales potential there. Now a gesture based computer might be something else but that isn't a touch screen.

Touchscreens on desktop computing is IMHO correctly assessed as generally suboptimal...until you go all in.

99% of the time you don't use your fingers on the vertical surface because obviously your arms will get tired.  You use it on the table surface and there, the bigger the better.

http://www.ohgizmo.com/2012/10/10/benddesk-is-a-workstation-and-multitouch-computer-in-one/

This isn't their idea...this was first introduced by an Apple UI alumnus in 1992 while working at Sun...Bruce Tognazzini:

http://www.asktog.com/starfire/

Just remember it's from 1992 and it's a corporate video. :)  It's rather non-apple though.  I dunno if I see the iMac going in this direction because it's so big but you need both a vertical and horizontal work surface for effective touch.   

Still if you watch the video you get to see iChat, a tablet, skeuomorphic UI (that nobody will understand since film canisters doesn't exist anymore) and bad 90s hair.

There are some interesting features that are not in the video such as tactile feedback by providing a raised goosebumps where the paper is displayed, the ability to print by throwing the document toward the table edge that has a printer installed, etc. 

Thanks for the links.   

Ahh.... Tog...   I hadn't seen that video before.   Some great and prescient ideas!

post #88 of 237

I was skeptical about the mini. I have an original iPad nad I don't care for the weight or heat of the new iPads.

I picked up the mini, played with it for a few minutes and was sold. No, I didn't buy one, but I don't need one right now.

Anyway, the iPad mini is absolutely perfect. Truly a small computer. Amazing.

P

post #89 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

I was skeptical about the mini. I have an original iPad nad I don't care for the weight or heat of the new iPads.

Huh?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPad

For the WiFi versions:
iPad v.1 680 g
iPad v.4 650 g

cellular versions:
iPad v.1 730 g
iPad v.4 660 g

Both versions of the current iPad are lighter than the original iPad. So how could you be happy with the original's weight and not the new iPad?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #90 of 237
Quote:

Touchscreens on desktop computing is IMHO correctly assessed as generally suboptimal...until you go all in.

In 2007, most people said the same of the iPhone (remember Blackberry's?  Old Windows Phones?)

And Apple had low expectations.... Remember when Steve Jobs just wanted 1% of the mobile Phone Market?

I get 40" in specialized situations (Doctors, 'Creative', Traders, maybe even developers)...  but to be profitable (in Apple levels) that would need to be millions a year.  and that would be much more than 10% of any market, and that's a huge risk.

I don't see a 5 million a year sold (if $5000, at 40% profit, that's 10Billion Profit a year, pretty much the target now of a successful Apple product in 2014.).

At least not now.

post #91 of 237
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Both versions of the current iPad are lighter than the original iPad. So how could you be happy with the original's weight and not the new iPad?

I think he was 'sold' on the Mini just for what it is, but at the same time still happy with his current iPad1 - he doesn't need a new one, Mini or Maxi. He, that's the first time I wrote that in reference to the 9.7"

----
Snap
----

With all these stories on how great this Mini is, the positive experience many people have I think I'll check it out now that we have a Apple Store here as well. Totally don't need yet another iPad, but if people don't bother picking up their iPad3 anymore something is right with this new Mini.
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #92 of 237
Now how about an iPhone maxi - an iPad mini with phone? People don't seem to mind carrying 5+ inch Galaxy Notes around. I wonder if I'd want one to converge my phone and tablet, or if it would just be too large...

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

iPhone 5 64GB, iPhone 4S 16GB, mid-2011 iMac, Apple TV 2nd Gen, iPod Nano

post #93 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd really like a 15" iPad-equivalent for portable stuff, too.

Me too. Call 'em up and got them working on that.

Quote:

[...] I think it would sell better than the 10".

Me too, though it just got tougher to make them believe that now that the Minipad is selling so well.

post #94 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

HUH...

Perhaps a smaller iPad was the "perfect size" all along.

Never try to second guess the customer.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #95 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I think he was 'sold' on the Mini just for what it is, but at the same time still happy with his current iPad1 - he doesn't need a new one, Mini or Maxi. He, that's the first time I wrote that in reference to the 9.7"

Then why did he say: "I don't care for the weight or heat of the new iPads"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #96 of 237
Quote:

I cannot wait for the day when desktop OS' are touchscreen. So much that I want to do now that we just can't.

I'm still looking forward to Logic Studio or GarageBand touchscreen control. The Retina iPad is a good size, but I'd really love to have a control surface that sits right next to a full-size keyboard for input.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #97 of 237
Quote:

Actually, that appears to mis-state Steve's view on the smaller iPad.
He said that existing 7" tablets were crap.

I'd have to dig to find the presentation and I don't have time right now, but I'm pretty sure he panned the size altogether, not just existing implementations. At least publicly, anyway. To me, his comments about sanding down fingertips were a pretty unambiguous denunciation of the size in general.

post #98 of 237
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post
I'm still looking forward to Logic Studio or GarageBand touchscreen control. The Retina iPad is a good size, but I'd really love to have a control surface that sits right next to a full-size keyboard for input.

Mmm, delicious. I've thought of those applications specifically, too. I think all OS X applications (where it's feasible) should have their own apps for iPad control. OH! No, too much clutter: ONE app on the iPad, all OS X applications can feed in their custom controls to that app. Don't know what to call it, don't really know what to call what it's doing, even. It's basically adding the iPad as a third input device for… 

… We may have just come up with something big here. Just as the keyboard and mouse are used across all applications, so too would the iPad via this app, doing what both the mouse and keyboard cannot… What a PERFECT way to further help the transition to a fully multitouch desktop OS!

Originally Posted by v5v View Post
…I'm pretty sure he panned the size altogether, not just existing implementations. At least publicly, anyway. To me, his comments about sanding down fingertips were a pretty unambiguous denunciation of the size in general.

He panned all existing solutions, and he also stated (paraphrase) that "[they] don't think this size is enough to create great tablet apps."

post #99 of 237

I'm guessing Apple will simply create a retina iPad mini next year at the same $329 price point with the current non-retina one dropping to $249.

This won't make early adopters happy, but perhaps it'll please stockholders. 

While it would be nice to see price cuts across the line. But heck, with 6 mil iPad minis sold, they don't need to.

post #100 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by satchmo View Post

I'm guessing Apple will simply create a retina iPad mini next year at the same $329 price point with the current non-retina one dropping to $249.

This won't make early adopters happy, but perhaps it'll please stockholders. 

While it would be nice to see price cuts across the line. But heck, with 6 mil iPad minis sold, they don't need to.

I hope they add a kickstand...

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #101 of 237
I love my Mini, got a VZ variant, and to be brutally honest in my heart of geek hearts, I'd buy a giant iPhone/Mini phablet in a heartbeat.

Throw in a BT headset and you're golden, hell, I'd hold it up to my head just to show it off 1smoking.gif
post #102 of 237
Stupid Walmart PR sends out a release saying they're discounting the 4th gen iPad to $399 and then has to correct themselves later in the day that its actually the 3rd gen being discounted (duh). Of course this spreads all over the www with people predicting iPad sales tanking. 1rolleyes.gif
post #103 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Stupid Walmart PR sends out a release saying they're discounting the 4th gen iPad to $399 and then has to correct themselves later in the day that its actually the 3rd gen being discounted (duh). Of course this spreads all over the www with people predicting iPad sales tanking. 1rolleyes.gif

Tanks for that.  1biggrin.gif

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #104 of 237

Thanks for the update Rogifan. I sent a buddy to Walmart to get the iPad deal and they said they knew nothing about it. I told him to wait and check again tomorrow. Because of your post I went to 9to5 to find that you're dead-on right. So while the $127 iPhone5 is a legit deal, the iPad for $399 is the 3 not the 4. I'll call my friend and tell him not to waste his time going back.

post #105 of 237
Quote:

That I keep saying it's a terrible idea shows that this isn't the case, I'd think.

Who are YOU kidding? How big is your desk? Tell me that 27" wouldn't become too small a workspace for you after a few weeks of having a touchscreen UI on it. 40" would be glorious. I dunno, I know I'm on the high end of that, but 21.5" is definitely too small to start.

The 15" MacBook Pro isn't a niche product. Come on, man.

Wacom uses a 24" 16:10 touch screen as a drawing surface. It looks like a decent size. The premise of the article is unsurprising to me. They lowered the cost of entry. I would be surprised if either rmbp outsold the 11" or 13" air.

post #106 of 237
Quote:

This isn't their idea...this was first introduced by an Apple UI alumnus in 1992 while working at Sun...Bruce Tognazzini:

http://www.asktog.com/starfire/

Just remember it's from 1992 and it's a corporate video. :)  It's rather non-apple though.  I dunno if I see the iMac going in this direction because it's so big but you need both a vertical and horizontal work surface for effective touch.   

Still if you watch the video you get to see iChat, a tablet, skeuomorphic UI (that nobody will understand since film canisters doesn't exist anymore) and bad 90s hair.

There are some interesting features that are not in the video such as tactile feedback by providing a raised goosebumps where the paper is displayed, the ability to print by throwing the document toward the table edge that has a printer installed, etc. 

Thanks a million for the videos. I was particularly struck by the thick laptop shown in the boardroom scene. I'm sure they were thinking long and hard about how thin a laptop should be in the imagined future and still got something as chunky as '70s shoes...

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #107 of 237

If these figures are correct then it's really bad for Android tablets. The iPad is basically going to be another iPod, totally dominating until such time as it's entire category becomes obsolete.

post #108 of 237
Quote:

The 15" MacBook Pro isn't a niche product. Come on, man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

Wacom uses a 24" 16:10 touch screen as a drawing surface. It looks like a decent size. The premise of the article is unsurprising to me. They lowered the cost of entry. I would be surprised if either rmbp outsold the 11" or 13" air.

Apparently the 17" MBP was a niche product though. I use my 15" MBP as a presentation unit for one-on-one and small groups. For getting work done I can see the light weight and smaller size MBA being a better choice on the road, and I love my 27" iMac for displaying multiple pages of documents. A 24" iPad would be my choice for a portable display unit for presentations if the weight didn't get out of control. 

I think it's essential to consider how a person intends to USE any device. There are times when the device is creating content and times when it is being used to present content (and I'm not talking about entertainment necessarily). There are times when one is working in an office and times when one is creating content on the road. Size, weight, costs, and utility are all variable considerations they each person values differently due to their unique situations.

post #109 of 237

Mini  is a MULTI-task device. It will surpass Kindle and Nook even though it is priced higher. Size is right!!  Price is right!!

post #110 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

If these figures are correct then it's really bad for Android tablets. The iPad is basically going to be another iPod, totally dominating until such time as it's entire category becomes obsolete.

Yep, that's exactly what's happening.

I bought a nexus 7, a PlayBook, Kindle Fire, HTC Flyer, and the iPad Mini is easily the best of all, it's fast enough, the resolution is good enough, it fits in my back pocket when I go to lunch, functions as a great remote for my Wifi enabled home stereo, and I can carry it back & forth to work in my man bag.

I work in a large hospital in LA, and I see patients/families carrying the iPad 2, and 3, they'll nearly all get replaced by Mini's.

As the costs of manufacturing come down, the retina Mini will take over the world...

Watching the mobile forums, I'm seeing a trend even among the Android fans of an Android phone and an iPad, and there's lots of chatter about the Mini. Apple nearly owns the tablet sector and clearly owns the premium tablet sector.
post #111 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I really hope you are correct. I'm a competitive bastard that loves to see the competition struggle for each crumb of business. I wasn't so excited that Apple ruled the iPod market as to see Apple kick Zune to the curb with sales. 

Microsoft has the money to pursue the phone and tablet business bleeding money for years. But if Apple can squash Microsoft's sales so badly, they can send them into full retreat a lot earlier. This leaves the Android platform to bottom feed on thin margins and thin niches. 

post #112 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Walmart's position is that they will beat ANY advertised price... take in the ad and remind them of their promise to beat advertised prices.

post #113 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I hope they add a kickstand...

... and that it's a noisy as that Surface one? 

I wonder how that typing on a rug is working out for MS...?

post #114 of 237
Quote:

Mmm, delicious. I've thought of those applications specifically, too. I think all OS X applications (where it's feasible) should have their own apps for iPad control. OH! No, too much clutter: ONE app on the iPad, all OS X applications can feed in their custom controls to that app. Don't know what to call it, don't really know what to call what it's doing, even. It's basically adding the iPad as a third input device for… 

… We may have just come up with something big here. Just as the keyboard and mouse are used across all applications, so too would the iPad via this app, doing what both the mouse and keyboard cannot… What a PERFECT way to further help the transition to a fully multitouch desktop OS!

He panned all existing solutions, and he also stated (paraphrase) that "[they] don't think this size is enough to create great tablet apps."

You apparently haven't used a Magic Trackpad yet. I use one with my 27" iMac. It has inertial movement built in so I have very fine control of the position and yet can easily move across the whole screen in one swipe.

post #115 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Walmart's position is that they will beat ANY advertised price... take in the ad and remind them of their promise to beat advertised prices.

They almost always have fine print that says they're not obligated to match prices that are clearly in error.

Furthermore, the price match says they'll match competitors' prices. There's nothing there about matching their own prices.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #116 of 237
In my opinion a dual screen iPad mini book would be a cool product to have. Imagine 2 iPad minis connected together via a hinge a bit like a notebook. Think of the Microsoft courier that never materialised. Held like a book, the dual screens would allow multitasking and reading a pleasure. Placed like a laptop, the 2nd screen would enable a full screen keyboard to type on therefore allowing the 1st screen to display a full screen app. iPad mini is light and thin enough for this to happen.
post #117 of 237
Quote:
Originally Posted by simtub View Post

In my opinion a dual screen iPad mini book would be a cool product to have. Imagine 2 iPad minis connected together via a hinge a bit like a notebook. Think of the Microsoft courier that never materialised. Held like a book, the dual screens would allow multitasking and reading a pleasure. Placed like a laptop, the 2nd screen would enable a full screen keyboard to type on therefore allowing the 1st screen to display a full screen app. iPad mini is light and thin enough for this to happen.

I can't say I'm keen on that. Thumb typing on glass with the iPhone is one thing, especially considering the cramped smartphone keyboards that came before, but replacing a real keyboard just to use an entire lighted display to type just seems like a waste to me. It's even worse tradeoffs than the Surface has.

And how would you support it as a notebook? A "kickstand" like the Surface or a hinge? In either case there are engineering issues that will add thickness, cost and complexity without actually giving you a good notebook experience. Even a netbook starts to look good then.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #118 of 237
Easy to carry and large enough to view, I like it. I got one two days ago.
post #119 of 237
Quote:

What a PERFECT way to further help the transition to a fully multitouch desktop OS!

It's becoming more and more obvious that Apple shares your vision of multitouch computing. Look at the changes to the UI in iTunes 11 and tell me it wasn't designed to accommodate being operated on a touchscreen. Someone even mentioned in another thread that he hates the stupid little arrows that appear next to every title in list view that just do the same thing as right clicking... maybe somebody was thinking about a way to call up that menu when there IS no right click?

post #120 of 237
Originally Posted by v5v View Post
It's becoming more and more obvious that Apple shares your vision of multitouch computing.

Oh, no. I'm always wrong. Apple must have some other tricks up their sleeve. 1wink.gif

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › Apple's iPad mini already on pace to outsell Retina iPad