or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Massacre in Connecticut

Massacre in Connecticut - Page 12

post #441 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Why don't they start to look into if these students were on some kind of drugs regarding their mental thinking and see what makes these students do what they are doing.Most of these drugs being for the mentally ill are ruining their minds and provoking them to do these killings and shootings in today's society.They are over medicated like the animal Adam Lanza who was on medication most of his life.This is never discussed why?

in the US, where costs are higher than anywhere else in the world, it's simply easier to medicate rather than to properly treat mental illnesses through psychological evaluation and treatment. Best healthcare system my ass.
post #442 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

NRA - A clear and present danger to national security?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ct-perspec-0110-nra-20130111,0,4736888.story

Didn't Chicago have something like 500 murders last year, almost all with illegal guns?

You would think a Chicago paper would realize that the NRA isn't their biggest problem.

The evil that we fight is but the shadow of the evil that we do.
post #443 of 1058

Meltdown after meltdown by the right. This time: Alex Jones.  Again.

You are in danger.

There is poison in the water.

Sounds like they all have the talking points rehearsed and they are trying to instill as much fear as they can.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/11/alex-jones-youre-in-danger-huffpost-live_n_2459055.html

Interestingly, he was willing to go on Huffpost Live for his latest rant.  I thought HP was the embodiment of evil liberalism and was to be avoided at all costs...  It sure gets dismissed readily by some here...  1smile.gif

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

You're = a contraction of YOU + ARE as in, "You are right" --> "You're right."

Your = the possessive of you, as in, "Your name is Tom, right?" or "What is your name?"

post #444 of 1058

Claiming that if Joe American is "allowed" to own a rifle he's going to go around and start killing children is not instilling fear at all.

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.

(I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.)

post #445 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Claiming that if Joe American is "allowed" to own a rifle he's going to go around and start killing children is not instilling fear at all.
The numbers around the world where gun control is implemented don't support your view.
post #446 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonton View Post

The numbers around the world where gun control is implemented don't support your view.

How very general and vague of you.

post #447 of 1058
Quote:

How very general and vague of you.

Wait, you want citations?  LAUGHABLE.  You continually refuse to cite your source you plagiarized regarding the countries that disarmed its citizens.

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” 
-Sagan
post #448 of 1058

post #449 of 1058

Tunisia, with some of the strictest gun control laws and fewest guns per capita worldwide toppled its dictator and started the Arab Spring.

Quote:

The lowest gun ownership rate among the 178 countries surveyed as of 2007 was reported from Tunisia, with 0.1 (or a total number of 9,000 guns), due to very strict gun control under the Ben Ali regime (compare the rates of the neighbouring states, Algeria: 7.6, Libya: 15.5).

Edit: Quote from wikipedia.  

Edited by BR - 1/12/13 at 7:12pm

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #450 of 1058
Quote:

Can you think of an alternative outcome had all of those Japanese American families had guns?

Remember. All the people in Waco died. And it wasn't because they didn't have enough guns.
post #451 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

Another shooting.

A student took a shotgun to school, shot a student.

He was stopped by two school staff members...who were unarmed.  He was in a classroom with 28 kids.  Another gun would not have helped.  Period.

The school has an armed guard (who actually wasn't there at the time)... and the student more than likely would have known.  Did knowing there was an armed guard at the school deter him?  Could he have known the guard wasn't there that day?

You have it wrong.  Another gun law would not have helped.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

NRA - A clear and present danger to national security?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/ct-perspec-0110-nra-20130111,0,4736888.story

Actually, I think opinions like that are a danger to national security.  

I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
I can only please one person per day.  Today is not your day.  Tomorrow doesn't look good either.  
post #452 of 1058

The gun law of "nobody can own a gun" would have helped.

-Sagan

-Sagan
post #453 of 1058

Reason is Pharmaceutical Companies are making tons of money with these medications they are producing.Backed up by politicians of course by lobbying these companies for greed of money naturally.

post #454 of 1058
Quote:

in the US, where costs are higher than anywhere else in the world, it's simply easier to medicate rather than to properly treat mental illnesses through psychological evaluation and treatment. Best healthcare system my ass.

So you're an expert on the treatment of mental illness?  Having more than one family member with severe mental illness, there's no magical non-chemical cure for many of these problems. 

post #455 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

No, it wouldn't have. The shooter got the gun illegally from his mother, who was preparing herself for extreme economic/socio-political events.

No legislation is going to stop someone with that mindset from procuring a gun.

post #456 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

No, it wouldn't have. The shooter got the gun illegally from his mother, who was preparing herself for extreme economic/socio-political events.

No legislation is going to stop someone with that mindset from procuring a gun.

Actually, I suspect that BR's vision here has the US passing such a law, followed by the door-to-door armed search and retrieval of all (civilian) firearms in a full display of irony.

The state is nothing more than a criminal gang writ large.

post #457 of 1058

That's funny. People with that mindset don't have guns in the UK. People with that mindset don't have guns in Hong Kong (certainly). People with that mindset don't have guns in Australia.

Your post is bullshit.

10 years for possession? Life for use? It will take decades, sure, but eventually, the guns will be gone. And Americans will be safer. It's time to look to the future.

post #458 of 1058

I wonder when the anti-gun folks are going to get to work and simply just repeal the 2nd amendment. Seems they just want to take short-cuts (like their dear, beloved leader.)

post #459 of 1058

Actually, a repeal is not necessary. The law is so vague, an amendment to further clarify and interpret the meaning would suffice.

Obviously the second amendment doesn't give us the right to own RPG launchers and high caliber machine guns. the "right to bear arms" doesn't mean "the right to bear all available kinds of arms".

Just tell the citizens they can own a shotgun, a small caliber pistol and a low capacity hunting rifle. You're not taking away their right to bear arms.

post #460 of 1058
Quote:

Actually, a repeal is not necessary.

To be constitutional it would be.

Quote:

The law is so vague, an amendment to further clarify and interpret the meaning would suffice.

The 2nd amendment is vague? No it's not. You're complaint is that it is too broad. There's a difference.

Quote:

Obviously the second amendment doesn't give us the right to own RPG launchers and high caliber machine guns.

That's not obvious at all.

Quote:

the "right to bear arms" doesn't mean "the right to bear all available kinds of arms".

Why does it not mean that? Because you claim so?

post #461 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

I wonder when the anti-gun folks are going to get to work and simply just repeal the 2nd amendment. Seems they just want to take short-cuts (like their dear, beloved leader.)

Well the 18th amendment was repealed because it was a failure, and led to more problems than it solved, so I guess there is a precedent.

post #462 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by groakes View Post

Well the 18th amendment was repealed because it was a failure, and led to more problems than it solved, so I guess there is a precedent.

Not claiming there isn't. Just wondering why our anti-gun "friends" aren't pursuing this route.

post #463 of 1058

post #464 of 1058

The case for background/mental tests and licenses for parents:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/ron-miller-poses-as-gunman-to-test-school-security_n_2471381.html

- - - - - - -

And then there is the ever-present gun show.  At a school.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/gun-show-spooner-elementary-school_n_2473941.html

How many dumb idiots out there are like this guy?

Edited by Bergermeister - 1/15/13 at 7:24am

post #465 of 1058

I love ironic headlines, like this one: "Obama says gun lobby stokes fear"

But, thankfully, for Obama, he's got a public that's dumb enough to let that one slide right by.

post #466 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by BR View Post

Quote:

The case for background/mental tests and licenses for parents:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/ron-miller-poses-as-gunman-to-test-school-security_n_2471381.html

- - - - - - -

And then there is the ever-present gun show.  At a school.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/14/gun-show-spooner-elementary-school_n_2473941.html

How many dumb idiots out there are like this guy?

Idiocy like this is much more of a problem than the guns themselves.  

post #467 of 1058

The Second Amendment makes NO SPECIFIC MENTION of guns. The word is ARMS. All guns are arms, but not all arms are guns - far from it. 

"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
"We've never made the case, or argued the case that somehow Osama bin Laden was directly involved in 9/11. That evidence has never been forthcoming". VP Cheney, 3/29/2006. Interview by Tony Snow
post #468 of 1058
New York rams through most restrictive gun law in the nation. Bans ALL high capacity clips, regardless of manufacture date or current status and requires registration of existing "assault" weapons. http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/01/15/16515653-new-york-passes-major-gun-control-law-first-since-newtown-massacre?lite.
post #469 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammi jo View Post

The Second Amendment makes NO SPECIFIC MENTION of guns. The word is ARMS. All guns are arms, but not all arms are guns - far from it. 

You are correct. Additionally, the 2nd amendment doesn't say anything about regulating these arms.

post #470 of 1058

Piers Morgan is on in the next room...  Reporting two new school shootings.

post #471 of 1058

NRA: video games are to blame for violence in America.

NRA solution: produce a video game.  Free for iPad and other platforms; rated 4+ so anybody can download it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/16/opinion/ferguson-nra-video-games/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

post #472 of 1058
Quote:

NRA: video games are to blame for violence in America.

NRA solution: produce a video game.  Free for iPad and other platforms; rated 4+ so anybody can download it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/01/16/opinion/ferguson-nra-video-games/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

I don't see that it's a "solution," but it's not a problem either.  It's a target practice game.  It's not much different than freaking Duck Hunt.  

post #473 of 1058

Obama will take 23 "executive actions"

Quote:

1. Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal agencies to make relevant data available to the federal background check system

2. Address unnecessary legal barriers, particularly relating to the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act, that may prevent states from making information available to the background check system.

3. Improve incentives for states to share information with the background check system.

4. Direct the attorney general to review categories of individuals prohibited from having a gun to make sure dangerous people are not slipping through the cracks.

5. Propose rule-making to give law enforcement the ability to run a full background check on an individual before returning a seized gun.

6. Publish a letter from ATF to federally licensed gun dealers providing guidance on how to run background checks for private sellers.

7. Launch a national safe and responsible gun ownership campaign.

8. Review safety standards for gun locks and gun safes (Consumer Product Safety Commission).

9. Issue a presidential memorandum to require federal law enforcement to trace guns recovered in criminal investigations.

10. Release a Department of Justice report analyzing information on lost and stolen guns and make it widely available to law enforcement.

11. Nominate a new director of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.

12. Provide law enforcement, first-responders, and school officials with proper training for active shooter situations.

13. Maximize enforcement efforts to prevent gun violence and prosecute gun crime.

14. Issue a presidential memorandum directing the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to research the causes and prevention of gun violence.

15. Direct the attorney general to issue a report on the availability and most effective use of new gun-safety technologies and challenge the private sector to develop innovative technologies.

16. Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors from asking their patients about guns in their homes.

17. Release a letter to health care providers clarifying that no federal law prohibits them from reporting threats of violence to law enforcement authorities.

18. Provide incentives for schools to hire school-resource officers.

19. Develop model emergency response plans for schools, houses of worship and institutions of higher education.

20. Release a letter to state health officials clarifying the scope of mental health services that Medicaid plans must cover.

21. Finalize regulations clarifying essential health benefits and parity requirements within ACA exchanges.

22. Commit to finalizing mental-health parity regulations.

23. Launch a national dialogue led by Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius and Education Secretary Arne Duncan on mental health.

I don't have a problem with most of the above.  The ones that concern me are in bold.  I was nearly certain he would go much further.  Perhaps Congress convinced him that trying to say, reinstitute lapsed legislation without them was not going to go over well.   It's mostly the mental health provisions that concern me.  From what I gather, my doctor can now ask me if I own a gun...I don't know about that.  I also don't like the this admin's record on "challenging" the private sector to develop new safety solutions.  That sounds a little like the way he's "challenged" the coal industry.  Overall though, while I don't think the above will really do that much to stop gun violence, I don't find MOST of it objectionable.  

post #474 of 1058
Quote:
Clarify that the Affordable Care Act does not prohibit doctors from asking their patients about guns in their homes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

From what I gather, my doctor can now ask me if I own a gun...I don't know about that.

That's fine. Your doctor can ask you whatever he/she wants to ask you. You are free, at least for now, to answer: "None of your fucking business." (or more politely if you must.)

post #475 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That's fine. Your doctor can ask you whatever he/she wants to ask you. You are free, at least for now, to answer: "None of your fucking business." (or more politely if you must.)

That's what I was thinking.  

post #476 of 1058

Good for you.

post #477 of 1058

post #478 of 1058
Quote:

Guns stolen from home listed on Journal News' Gun Owner's Map.  

Lawsuit in 3...2...1...

post #479 of 1058
Quote:

Jogger Causes Lockdown at School in Franconia

Of course the jogger didn't cause the lock down. He was just jogging.

post #480 of 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDW2001 View Post

Quote:

Guns stolen from home listed on Journal News' Gun Owner's Map.  

Lawsuit in 3...2...1...
I'd love to see that lawsuit go forward. People who are so irresponsible that they can allow their firearms to be stolen belong in jail. This would just drive that message forward.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: PoliticalOutsider
AppleInsider › Forums › Other Discussion › AppleOutsider › PoliticalOutsider › Massacre in Connecticut