or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store

AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store

post #1 of 79
AppleInsider today is pleased to announce its first mobile application for Apple's iOS platform: the AppleInsider app for iPhone and iPod touch, available as a free download exclusively from the App Store.

Download the official AppleInsider iPhone App

The official AppleInsider iPhone app is a culmination of efforts between the AppleInsider editorial staff and the award-winning designers and developers over at New York-based Crafted Creative Inc. We're extremely proud of this first-release effort on the App Store and will be working closely with Crafted in the coming months to help drive the future of our mobile initiative.

Among the key features baked into this first release are a full multi-touch interface with quick article swiping; easy one-touch sharing of AppleInsider content via email, text message, and social networks such as Facebook and Twitter; full-screen imagery; custom text sizing; and most importantly: Push Notification functionality to give readers instant updates on the most critical breaking Apple news.

And don't worry, we're not looking to constantly bug you. Push notifications from the app will be sent out sparingly and will be limited only to stories that matter the most to our readers. Examples include:
  • Official Apple announcements, including the latest press releases or public comments by the company.
  • iOS and OS X software updates, so you know when to start downloading and updating.
  • Major scoops and rumors, both from AppleInsider and from reliable media outlets we curate news from, such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times.
  • Noteworthy hires or departures, such as changes to Apple's executive lineup or high-profile personnel that may come to the company.
  • Major lawsuit updates, including significant developments in Apple's ongoing litigation with rivals like Samsung and Motorola.

With that said ? and keeping in mind today's iPhone app release sets a foundation for many advancements to come ? we welcome your feedback at appleinsider.for.iphone@gmail.com and encourage you to head on over to our iPhone App Landing Page and download the free application to your iPhones and iPod touches.
post #2 of 79
Finally!!! I've been waiting for this for a while.
post #3 of 79
Cool... Nice job!

However...

"Major lawsuit updates, including significant developments in Apple's ongoing litigation with rivals like Samsung and Motorola."

Just give verdicts on this topic. To give news stories relating to such issues would be worse than spam as it seems there is always something happening EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. 1rolleyes.gif
Edited by Rot'nApple - 12/18/12 at 8:01am

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

Ten years ago, we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash.  Today we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

post #4 of 79

OMG ME TOO YESSS!!!!

post #5 of 79
Posting from the app!!! Very cool. Thanks AI
post #6 of 79
This is great and I'm glad you made an article to promote it and let members comments on it without polluting other threads, but why not also create an article when you do major changes to the site and forum?

I guess when it rains it pours because the mobile web version is pretty great.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #7 of 79

And the iPad version will be coming...?

post #8 of 79
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change the pull-to-refresh to the standard iOS 6 Apple one, as seen in the Tumblr app, Deliveries and Mail. It's a far, far nicer pull-to-refresh UX:

Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #9 of 79
No Android version?

(sarcasm)
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
"Very disappointing to have people judging something without all the facts." - charlituna.
post #10 of 79
Well, a lot of sites now have an app. This is nice. But to be truthful, I've found these apps to have limited usefulness. As long as you use it for special purposes, such as following up on the notifications, they're great. But a problem I've noted is that as with the idea of TC channels each being presenters as separate apps, it quickly becomes messy.

So having a handful is ok, but having a dozen, or more, becomes unwieldy. So you must be very selective. A problem ensues when you tap a link. Then what? Well, normally, the browser opens up, and you're back there again. So unless you stay within the site in the app, it's not much more than a gateway back to the browser. I don't know how this can be avoided. So this one seems pretty well behaved.
post #11 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

And the iPad version will be coming...?
+++ This
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker."
-auxio-
post #12 of 79
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
…why not also create an article when you do major changes to the site and forum?

Well, they have the Feedback threads for each.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.

post #13 of 79
There's no need to refresh the app upon every launch. It's very annoying. Give the app a 10 minute timer, so if I haven't launched it in 10 minutes, then refresh. Or no auto-refresh at all. But definitely not the current situation of reloading Every. Single. Time.
post #14 of 79

Article said:

"Major scoops and rumors, both from AppleInsider and from reliable media outlets we curate news from, such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times"

By this, you don't mean Digitimes right?

post #15 of 79
What about the forums / comments? This appears just to near the web app..
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
William
iPhone 3G 16 / iPhone 3GS 32 / Waiting for a proper rev of iMac..
post #16 of 79
Finally
post #17 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Well, they have the Feedback threads for each.

Do most people go to the main forum page? I know I don't. I do know that when the forum and the site changed it's look and feel people were posting in every thread about the change. There was never an official article stating the change and ay new features or benefits. That's water under the bridge because they are doing it now with this app.

post #18 of 79
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
Article said:

"Major scoops and rumors, both from AppleInsider and from reliable media outlets we curate news from, such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times"

By this, you don't mean Digitimes right?

I think you bolded the wrong part, yeah? 

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
I do know that when the forum and the site changed it's look and feel people were posting in every thread about the change. There was never an official article stating the change and ay new features or benefits. 

Right, right; when they posted everywhere I just moved all those posts to the two threads set up for the topics.  Then I had them in my signature for a good long while, but I don't think anyone ever used those links after that (of course the complaining also had died down by then). Ah, well.

Edited by Tallest Skil - 12/18/12 at 8:55am

post #19 of 79

Any chance of a paid for version so that I can get rid of the annoying ads?

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
post #20 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by vqro View Post

Finally!!! I've been waiting for this for a while.

Heh.  My first thought was "why would *anyone* want this?"  1smile.gif

post #21 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Examples include:
  • Official Apple announcements, including the latest press releases or public comments by the company.
  • iOS and OS X software updates, so you know when to start downloading and updating.
  • Major scoops and rumors, both from AppleInsider and from reliable media outlets we curate news from, such as The Wall Street Journal and The New York Times.
  • Noteworthy hires or departures, such as changes to Apple's executive lineup or high-profile personnel that may come to the company.
  • Major lawsuit updates, including significant developments in Apple's ongoing litigation with rivals like Samsung and Motorola.

So basically every thing.

Pity you haven't set it so we can say which categories we care about. Then, for example, the lawsuit whiners can 'off' that group and never see the articles, get notifications etc.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #22 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

I will echo this sentiment.  I don't imagine I will be using the app at all, but an app that has ads is not really an app at all.  The decent thing is to make a paid app or a truly free one.  (either/or)

post #23 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE change the pull-to-refresh to the standard iOS 6 Apple one, as seen in the Tumblr app, Deliveries and Mail. It's a far, far nicer pull-to-refresh UX:

IIRC that is patented, by Apple, and not part of the SDK. So this company would have to license it and possibly don't have the funds etc

post #24 of 79

I think the forum should have equal billing in the app, but that's me. Two tabs up top, one for the articles, one for the forums.

post #25 of 79
Quote:

I think you bolded the wrong part, yeah? 

No, I just didn't alter the bolding when I cut n pasted.

post #26 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

IIRC that is patented, by Apple, and not part of the SDK. So this company would have to license it and possibly don't have the funds etc

Personally, I find it kind of unattractive also.  I much prefer the original UI from Loren Brichter.  

I do like how a lot of apps are using the same "pull to refresh" concept but making the UI different and interesting though.  Like how with twitter you get an animation of a little bird etc. 

This could be iOS's answer to this:

post #27 of 79
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Huge wave of nostalgia.

post #28 of 79

Nice app and good overall web redesign earlier this year. Now, please come up with both iPad and Android Jelly Bean versions. Thanks

post #29 of 79
Quote:

That's like asking Google the same question. No. It exists to serve ads.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #30 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Twitter's is free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Personally, I find it kind of unattractive also.  I much prefer the original UI from Loren Brichter.  

I do like how a lot of apps are using the same "pull to refresh" concept but making the UI different and interesting though.  Like how with twitter you get an animation of a little bird etc.

I prefer the original, too. Apple's is release to refresh, not pull to refresh. I know it's a nitpicky point but to me that it a huge difference in the way it feels.

post #31 of 79
Quote:

Huge wave of nostalgia.

Nausea and nostalgia for me. I'm quite happy to leave the old web in the past.

post #32 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkies View Post

Nice app and good overall web redesign earlier this year. Now, please come up with both iPad and Android Jelly Bean versions. Thanks

Your kidding right?

post #33 of 79
I'm sure the app is great, but I prefer to get to you via Safari. That way I can go from one site to another more easily. I'm not into all the news apps. I have too many already.
post #34 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Samsung and Google
post #35 of 79
Quote:

Ditto for me. I'd gladly pay a buck or two to get rid of the ads.
post #36 of 79
Very cool, it's nice to have only notifications about Apple directly pushed.
post #37 of 79
Three requests:

1) Please, a universal version! Soonest.

2) Give us the option to exclude push notifications about the on-going legal wranglings. I'm so sick of them I could scream!

3) Paid, ad free version.
post #38 of 79

Hi

I just joined AI and I'm surprised that no one saw the irony in this, from the end of the OP.

With that said ? and keeping in mind today's iPhone app release sets a foundation for many advancements to come ? we welcome your feedback at appleinsider.for.iphone@gmail.com

post #39 of 79
App is nice. Just wish it would actually do push notification; I installed it last week and haven't received any since. Still, good job AI, much appreciate it!
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #40 of 79
Ok, nice, but waiting for the iPad version.

J.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store