or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store

AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store - Page 2

post #41 of 79

Very nice!  I have to agree with others, an iPad app & ad free version would be excellent!

post #42 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Huge wave of nostalgia.

This gif was actually very hard to find.  Possibly because I can't remember what these things were called.  

I was sure I could find a link to all of them (Mosaic, IE, etc.), but all I found was this single (re-sized) example of one of Netscape's.  

post #43 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

There's no need to refresh the app upon every launch. It's very annoying. Give the app a 10 minute timer, so if I haven't launched it in 10 minutes, then refresh. Or no auto-refresh at all. But definitely not the current situation of reloading Every. Single. Time.

At least, provide that option in 'settings'.
post #44 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma9roque View Post

Finally

This "finally" thing started by Gruber is becoming as if not more annoying as when "first" became a thing on YouTube.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #45 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

IIRC that is patented, by Apple, and not part of the SDK. So this company would have to license it and possibly don't have the funds etc

Not true:

http://prassan-warrior.blogspot.ie/2012/11/ios-6-pull-to-refresh-tutorial.html?m=1
post #46 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Twitter's is free.
I prefer the original, too. Apple's is release to refresh, not pull to refresh. I know it's a nitpicky point but to me that it a huge difference in the way it feels.

It's part of Xcode and iOS, and it's free. Brichter's is more release to refresh than Apple's. Apple's doesn't have a release function, it's pull only. And it's a far more elegant and seamless design.

http://www.intertech.com/Blog/Post/iOS-6-Pull-to-Refresh-(UIRefreshControl).aspx
post #47 of 79

I'm sure some folks are glad to see this.  For me, I prefer mobile safari, because many times I'll put my phone down and pick up the article on the Mac or iPad.  And vice versa.

To each his or her own, though :-)

post #48 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesem View Post

I'm sure the app is great, but I prefer to get to you via Safari. That way I can go from one site to another more easily. I'm not into all the news apps. I have too many already.

Didn't see your comment before posting the exact same thing.  Agree.

post #49 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

App is nice. Just wish it would actually do push notification; I installed it last week and haven't received any since. Still, good job AI, much appreciate it!

Well, just received a push notification, so skip previous comment. Dzzz, possibly I was a beta tester....(thanks TS)
post #50 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Quote:

Huge wave of nostalgia.

This gif was actually very hard to find.  Possibly because I can't remember what these things were called.  

I was sure I could find a link to all of them (Mosaic, IE, etc.), but all I found was this single (re-sized) example of one of Netscape's.  

Maybe it wouldn't been easier to find if you'd used the Netscape/Yahoo combo¡ Seriously, I often cannot find stuff with Google, but it is very likely that I'm just poor ith searching. Then again, I don't think PageRank is the right way to go that Google created.

Nice sig!
post #51 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

No Android version?
(sarcasm)

You say that sarcastically but as someone such as me who visits AI everyday and is stuck with a POS Android phone it is a legit question.  No Android version?

post #52 of 79
Very nice. Finally I can read the comments using an iPhone. They are very hard to read with a web browser on the iphone.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

Please update the AppleInsider app to function in landscape mode.

post #53 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

You say that sarcastically but as someone such as me who visits AI everyday and is stuck with a POS Android phone it is a legit question.  No Android version?

From what I've seen from most Android apps you're better off with the mobile version of the site.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #54 of 79
Quote:

I believe they were called Throbbers... Does that sound right?
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
NoahJ
"It is unwise to be too sure of one's own wisdom. It is healthy to be reminded that the strongest might weaken and the wisest might err." - Mahatma Gandhi
post #55 of 79
That comment system you're looking at us the same web view on iPhone from before this app. Comments have been that way for a couple of weeks now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Very nice. Finally I can read the comments using an iPhone. They are very hard to read with a web browser on the iphone.
post #56 of 79
Quote:

From what I've seen from most Android apps you're better off with the mobile version of the site.

And given the low browser share compared to Mobile Safari, I'd say very few would bother 1smile.gif

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

And given the low browser share compared to Mobile Safari, I'd say very few would bother 1smile.gif

That's only because they all use apps and/or change their user agents to say it's an iPhone¡

post #58 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyTab View Post

No Android version?
(sarcasm)

Not really sarcasm. There's a fairly large contingent of Apple hating losers who infest Apple centric sites like AI spouting their superiority drivel and predictions of doom. Why leave them out? I'm thinking DAHarder for example. 

post #59 of 79
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post
Why leave them out?

That much less headache. Seems like a big pro.

Oh, this actually gives me an idea. A(n enthusiast) forum… in iOS (and Mac App Store) app(lication) form ONLY. One can only access it through an iOS app. And it's afforded all the UI and interaction possibilities of the iOS platform that web development can't. 

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #60 of 79

When will it be available for my Samsung??  /s

post #61 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jivanile View Post

At least you were honest about it. The concern trolls who frequent this site would say something like "I love Apple, but..." which is usually followed by pages of supposed "rational and unbiased" criticism of iOS not being Android enough. I'd like to hear these guys say, "I'm an Apple fan, but... can I get this app ported to Android, oh, for no particular reason?" That would be funny.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #62 of 79
At least you were honest about it. The concern trolls who frequent this site would say something like "I love Apple, but..." which is usually followed by pages of supposed "rational and unbiased" criticism of iOS not being Android enough. I'd like to hear these guys say, "I'm an Apple fan, but... can I get this app ported to Android, oh, for no particular reason?" That would be funny.

The "stuck with a POS Android phone" part applies to all Android phones, so I have sympathy for that viewpoint.

post #63 of 79
Quote:

Personally, I find it kind of unattractive also.  I much prefer the original UI from Loren Brichter.  

I do like how a lot of apps are using the same "pull to refresh" concept but making the UI different and interesting though.  Like how with twitter you get an animation of a little bird etc. 

This could be iOS's answer to this:

Remembering NCSA Mosaic 

post #64 of 79
Quote:

That's only because they all use apps and/or change their user agents to say it's an iPhone¡

Root, reboot, and brag about the specs. Aka, "Having an 1337 gadget boner."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #65 of 79
Root, reboot, and brag about the specs. Aka, "Having an 1337 gadget boner."

post #66 of 79
To AI thanks for the nice app, but can you please just make your website more compatible with news readers like Pulse?
post #67 of 79
Very nice. Love the silvery theme.
Universal iPhone / iPad version soon? Please?

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #68 of 79
Really like it!
post #69 of 79
Quote:

Huge wave of nostalgia.

I had to buy Netscape Gold from my University, ten bucks I think it was.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #70 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMac2 View Post

Remembering NCSA Mosaic 

I remember this:-

Lynx, used to have fun with Americans going on about their fast Windows systems, I was using text based Lynx with the ability to do immediate replies so by the time their browsers with a 30 second page refresh loaded they'd find 10-20 separate comments from me asking where they were.

post #71 of 79
Quote:

And from what I've experienced from the many browsers on Android I'm better off with an app.  I'm currently using the dolphin browser that is ranked as one of the best mobile browsers on Android on the Google play store and on websites I have read.  It has a few neat features but what a buggy piece of doodoo.  That goes along with the stock browser, chrome, and firefox that I've also used and are always crashing and freezing and acting strange.  Not that I never had Safari crash on me back when I had an iPhone 3G but the crashes were few and far between, and not daily, multiple occurrences like on Crashdroid.  I can only imagine Safari has become more stable as iterations have come out.  The issues I'm dealing with now are on latest builds and on the mighty Jelly Bean version of Android with project frozen butter.

Edited by Jivanile - 12/18/12 at 3:35pm
post #72 of 79
Nice app, like it already
post #73 of 79
Love it, now don't have to reserve a tab for it on safari, posting from it, funny you can run the desktop forums on it.
post #74 of 79
Awesome. A pleasure to use. Thanks!
post #75 of 79

"the AppleInsider app for iPhone and iPod touch, available as a free download exclusively from the App Store."

Exclusively? Um, since when does Apple allow developers to release apps to public users? 

post #76 of 79
I'm actually surprised Apple would allow an App that deals in rumors about unreleased Apple products, and routinely posts pictures of illegally obtained parts ... You'd think there would be something in the agreement prohibiting this .,,, but otherwise, great!
post #77 of 79
Originally Posted by netrox View Post
"the AppleInsider app for iPhone and iPod touch, available as a free download exclusively from the App Store."

Exclusively? Um, since when does Apple allow developers to release apps to public users? 

I think the implication is that it's only available as an iOS app, but I can see how that could be misconstrued.

And hey, AI could have made an app and released it in Cydia. 1wink.gif

post #78 of 79
Awesome! I love reading all the latest Apple news!
post #79 of 79
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I remember this:-

Lynx, used to have fun with Americans going on about their fast Windows systems, I was using text based Lynx with the ability to do immediate replies so by the time their browsers with a 30 second page refresh loaded they'd find 10-20 separate comments from me asking where they were.

I still do compile and use Links on all my computers: 

Edited by BigMac2 - 12/19/12 at 7:35am
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
  • AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › AppleInsider's free iPhone app now available for download from the App Store