I rather suspect that I'm facing a breakdown of some hardware component, but thought I'd ask here before handing it in for repair just in case someone has experience with similar problems or have reason to think that it may be possible to fix without eliciting the aid of a computer repair firm.
Symptoms (the symptoms are not constant but will alternate between the 4 listed below):
- Keyboard is completely dead. Doesn't respond to anything I do.
- Some keys work, but don't do what they're supposed to do. Pressing one key will cause the keyboard viewer to show five or six different keys being activated.
- Keyboard viewer shows keys activating and deactivating despite no keys being pressed.
- Everything works as it should (as it does right now; I'm typing this on the computer).
Attempts made to fix the problem:
- Restart the computer.
- Resets (SMC and PRAM, I believe they're called - apparently that helped another MBP owner with a similar problem).
- Restart in Safe Mode (unsuccessful. I believe that the computer didn't register the keys that needs to be pressed down in order for the OS to enter Safe Mode. For the same reason, I have been unable to do another SMC or PRAM reset.)
I believe moving the computer affects the symptoms, which I suppose further points to a problem with the hardware...
MacBook Pro, 15-inch, Late 2008
Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)