or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple wins patent for first iPhone, designed by Jobs & Ive

Apple wins patent for first iPhone, designed by Jobs & Ive

post #1 of 46
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has awarded Apple a patent for the design of the first-generation iPhone, released in 2007, and created in part by Steve Jobs and Jony Ive.

Patent

Apple on Tuesday was awarded U.S. Patent No. D672769, entitled "Electronic Device." Illustrations accompanying the design patent show Apple's iconic first-generation iPhone, which was introduced with much fanfare by Jobs, then the company's CEO, in 2007.

The first iPhone featured a two-tone back that was mostly made of aluminum ? a design element that the company would return to this year with the release of the iPhone 5 with a predominantly metal back. Apple's interim devices opted for different materials: The iPhone 3G and 3GS had plastic backs, while the iPhone 4 and 4S backs were made of glass.

The basic design of the first iPhone, which shook up the smartphone industry with its finger-driven touchscreen, remains very similar to this day. Every iPhone model has featured a home button on the bottom of the screen and earpiece up top, with mute and volume controls on the left side, a lock switch on the top right, camera on the back, and speaker, microphone and data/charging port on the bottom.

The first iPhone was introduced by Jobs at the Macworld expo in January of 2007. It eventually went on sale in June of that same year.

Patent

Since then, the hype for each new iPhone model has only grown, and Apple's sales continue to break records. To date, the company has released one new iPhone model per year, and this year's model was the first to increase the screen size from the 3.5 inches seen on the first-gen model to 4 inches on the iPhone 5.

In addition to Jobs, the company co-founder, and Ive, Apple's lead designer, the following individuals are credited with the design of the first-generation iPhone: Bartley K. Andre, Daniel J. Coster, Daniele De luliis, Richard P. Howarth, Duncan Robert Kerr, Shin Nishibori, Matthew Dean Rohrbach, Douglas B. Satzger, Calvin Q. Seid, Chirstopher J. Stringer, Eugene Antony Whang, and Rico Zorkendorfer.
post #2 of 46
I had one of those!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 46
That phone still feels better than any other phone I've held. What a great start to the smartphone revolution.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #4 of 46
I saw a guy a couple months ago with a 1st Gen iPhone. Glass was cracked. The back had a few dents and a lot of scratches but it worked just as good as my 3GS.

Apple builds quality products that others can only DREAM of achieving.
post #5 of 46

Immediately invalidated.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #6 of 46
I had one of these and it remains my favorite design out of all of them. It just felt great. I would buy one on eBay but they are just too slow doing anything but basic tasks.
post #7 of 46
Just a note: the patent covers the design of the metal ring around the phone, not the phone itself.
post #8 of 46
And let the flamewars begin about why the so called 'isheep' should have book palm treos or blackberries at the time….
post #9 of 46

When people accuse Apple of copying other phones, all you need to say is "remember 2007? When the iPhone started the whole smart phone revolution?".

post #10 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

When people accuse Apple of copying other phones, all you need to say is "remember 2007? When the iPhone started the whole [touchscreen and mobile app] smart phone revolution?".

Fixed that for you. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #11 of 46

That design is beautiful indeed. I've always imagined what it could look like if the screen took all the space in front.

Something like this...

I don't care where the ear-piece is, they could just work their magic!

post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Fandroids will be tearing their hair out! Rounded rectangle patented by Apple! Hold-on while I get some popcorn.

Let's the lawsuits commence.   Lawyers, START YOUR ENGINES!!!

Hey Lawyer, Lawyer,  SUE Lawyer, Lawyer!

post #13 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by storneo View Post

When people accuse Apple of copying other phones, all you need to say is "remember 2007? When the iPhone started the whole smart phone revolution?".

To which the usual suspects will reply "but, but, but Google bought Android in 2005!"

AS IF.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #14 of 46
I was using my first gen iPhone until replacing last year with the 4s. It was still working but I wanted to get the better camera, and latest iOS.
post #15 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Fixed that for you. 

What an excellent display of your lack of recognitive and memory skills.

People went crazy over the iPhone just because of these two things, did they? A touch screen interface and a mobile app system that didn't actually exist on the first version?
post #16 of 46

Ha. Thanks!

post #17 of 46

Quiz time: How many know why Apple products begin with an "i"?

First right answer gets a . .  ummm. . . well. .  .

I guess nuthin except props for being the first to answer.

EDIT: Soli, Jragosta, you guys didn't know?

If you're impatient or give up, the answer is here in the first 30 seconds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0BHPtoTctDY

Edited by Gatorguy - 12/18/12 at 11:30am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #18 of 46
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Tricky tricky.

post #19 of 46

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 10:02am
post #20 of 46

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 10:01am
post #21 of 46
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post
Which will last longer, that or:

http://www.google.com/patents/US6368227

It's… it's cited in a Samsung transistor patent… wh… lol.gif1oyvey.gif

post #22 of 46

Apple could put new guts in it and call it the iPhone Classic.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #23 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Tricky tricky.

Figured it might be you TS. I doubt many here had any idea. 

post #24 of 46
Quote:

Quiz time: How many know why Apple products begin with an "i"?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=0BHPtoTctDY

Well, that vid just made me sad.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #25 of 46
Quote:

I thought that "Internet" was common knowledge for the naming of the iMac. I remember there were other 'i' names applied to it but Internet is the one that was most prominent. If quizzed on the other 'i' names anything else I got right would have just been an educated guess.

post #26 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I thought that "Internet" was common knowledge for the naming of the iMac. I remember there were other 'i' names applied to it but Internet is the one that was most prominent. If quizzed on the other 'i' names anything else I got right would have just been an educated guess.

i thought it was common knowledge as well.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #27 of 46
I thought that "Internet" was common knowledge for the naming of the iMac.

So did I. But it might be one of those "what's common knowledge for me isn't for the layman" things.

'Course people do forget a lot since '98, eh?

post #28 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So did I. But it might be one of those "what's common knowledge for me isn't for the layman" things.

'Course people do forget a lot since '98, eh?

Well, common among the PC tech industry, not the general populace.

post #29 of 46

The headline

"Apple wins patent for first iPhone, designed by Jobs & Ive"

reminds me of "Currier and Ives"....  1wink.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Currier_and_Ives

And if you read the link, you can actually see a few parallels...

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #30 of 46
Quote:

That phone still feels better than any other phone I've held. What a great start to the smartphone revolution.

I'd still be rocking my StarTAC if it weren't for Apple lol.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #31 of 46
The iPhone : )

I love this phone, and I still have it sitting around someplace! Just think back to December 2006 when none of this was possible, probable, or even in most mind's imagination. Now we complain about such things never conceived before in a phone until the iPhone.

Amazing work guys!
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

Fandroids will be tearing their hair out! Rounded rectangle patented by Apple! Hold-on while I get some popcorn.
Let's the lawsuits commence.   Lawyers, START YOUR ENGINES!!!

Hey Lawyer, Lawyer,  SUE Lawyer, Lawyer!

lol.gif pig farming reference?
post #33 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I'd still be rocking my StarTAC if it weren't for Apple lol.

I have to admit, my favorite mobile phone I've ever owned prior to the iPhone was the StarTac.  That phone was built like a tank, very tactile buttons, bright red display and many times I didn't even have to look at the display to dial a phone number, just a few pre-programmed steps with the side rocker-switch.  I really liked it.

Very close second was the original Razr.

What a pity Motorola went downhill afterwards.  Management got too cushy as corporate suits usually do and fell asleep at the wheel.

post #34 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

i thought it was common knowledge as well.

I guess either most of us either knew or read it in the book.

post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiserJay View Post

Just a note: the patent covers the design of the metal ring around the phone, not the phone itself.

The US Patent Office website is so bad I can't tell if you are right or if you are joking but it's interesting if true.  Apple no longer uses the annular ring, they gave it up with this recent generation.  

They also don't make the back or the screen the same way as the original iPhone either so even if this is a patent on the whole device design, it's almost completely irrelevant already.  

post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I guess either most of us either knew or read it in the book.

... or we watched the intro video a bazillion times when the iMac was introduced.  1smile.gif

[it was Steve's first new product of round 2]

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #37 of 46
Yes, the IPhone has kept it form factor similar, it still features its two ports(headphone has moved). Still features multiple microphones. Those are things apple could change in future, now It also still features home button, IOS volume controls on side and sleep/wake in same location.
post #38 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The US Patent Office website is so bad I can't tell if you are right or if you are joking but it's interesting if true.  Apple no longer uses the annular ring, they gave it up with this recent generation.  

KaiserJay is right about it being just a design patent for the bezel.

Dashed lines are not usually part of a design nclaim.  Only solid lines are. 

So in this case, the only design item they asked for was this particular shaped bezel, which I marked in yellow:

post #39 of 46
I still have my original iPhone 4GB model in my sock drawer. Screen is cracked but it still works 1smile.gif
post #40 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by larry91403 View Post

And let the flamewars begin about why the so called 'isheep' should have book palm treos or blackberries at the time….

My neighbor got an iPhone 4s a yr ago.

When upgrading from a Treo, was given a suggested RIM BB.

Hated the BB right from the start, no touch screen as the Treo had, and small screen.

Took the BB  back a few days later, got the iPhone4s and loves it dearly!

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple wins patent for first iPhone, designed by Jobs & Ive