or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google Music gains free scan & match in US to compete with Apple's iTunes Match

Google Music gains free scan & match in US to compete with Apple's iTunes Match

post #1 of 63
Previously limited to Europe, the scan and match feature in Google Play's music service arrived in the U.S. at no cost on Tuesday, matching a key feature of Apple's iTunes Match.

Google Play

Google announced Tuesday that its new matching feature will scan a music collection and quickly rebuild it in the cloud for free. Previously, users were required to upload their own music, a process that could take days for a collection with many gigabytes of audio.

Google Music allows users to match up to 20,000 songs from their music collection, and those tracks can be streamed back at up to 320 kbps at no cost. Google Play has a limit of 300 megabytes per individual song, and there is no option to purchase more storage to go beyond 20,000 tracks.

In comparison, Apple's iTunes Match will scan a user's music library and match it up with tracks available on the iTunes Store for $24.99 per year. iTunes Match has a 25,000 song limit ??5,000 tracks more than Google's free service.

When iTunes Match was announced by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs in 2011, he ribbed competing offerings from Google and Amazon, which at the time could take "weeks" to upload extensive music collections.

But Amazon's Cloud Player added iTunes Match-like scan and match functionality this July. Amazon allows users to import up to 250 songs for free in its Cloud Player, while a Cloud Player Premium subscription costs $24.99 per year and allows users to import up to 250,000 songs ? 10 times that of Apple's iTunes Match.

While Amazon has an official Cloud Player application available for the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad, Google has not yet released an official Google Music client for iOS. There are, however, some third-party options available in the App Store.
post #2 of 63

"Google did it first."

Originally Posted by helia

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.

I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever.
post #3 of 63
With all the money Apple makes, no other music service should be able to even compete. Grease some palms, Tim.
post #4 of 63
Google scanning my hard drive? Seems innocent and safe enough.

/s
post #5 of 63
iTunes Match is terrible. At one point after creating one new playlist on my iPhone, iTunes Match then decided to create 30,000+ duplicates of that playlist, freezing every single device I had.

And the majority of the time after fixing that, it froze my devices.

Worked well on Apple TV though!
post #6 of 63
Yeah Google did it first alright. The funny part is mobileme allowed such streaming quietly in the background. It was a manual upload to the server and never advertised. Google took this idea and promoted it as a feature. Apple didn't want to draw attention like Google did from the record companies but were negotiating behind the scenes. Many times when Google gets the jump on Apple it comes from leaks plastered all over the media, then their competitors come out with half baked versions of what Apple was rumored to be about to release. Apple's solution usually turns out to be much better because it was not a rushed decision, but you still have people claiming the other did it first.
post #7 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewalker10 View Post

iTunes Match is terrible. At one point after creating one new playlist on my iPhone, iTunes Match then decided to create 30,000+ duplicates of that playlist, freezing every single device I had.

The only two people I know personally that had an issue with iTunes match were jail breakers who had who knows what on their devices.

post #8 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

/s

Holy shit that's scary!

oneof52
oneof52
post #9 of 63
It's a low-margin activity for Apple, so the direct impact will be minimal.

However, it will, over time have an indirect negative impact since Google is slowly ratcheting up the attractiveness of Android's ecosystem to try to match Apple's. Apps, photos, videos, docs, now music...... (Apple could start to respond to this move by essentially upping storage for its users, and offering it or free, but unfortunately will not do so).

Shameless, relentless, disintermediating, copyist juggernaut.
post #10 of 63
The main difference is Google won't upgrade your low-quality songs into high quality songs. They will for streaming but not for download.
post #11 of 63
C'mon, Apple, please bring out your best. I've used Safari very little since Chrome came out for iOS. The Gmail app is really sophisticated and makes the Mail app in iOS look as aged as a POP3 client. I miss the ease of managing podcasts with native apps. I appreciate Cards, Notes, Voice Memos but I really don't use those. My most-used native apps are Photos and Calendar but there are some attractive competitors.

The competitors, cough, Google, has put out some really clunky apps in the past but boy are they looking good after a few years of iterations. Despite the examples of maps problems I'm still a real fan of the display in the new native map app so will likely continue using that. I trust Google Maps since I've used that much more (of course, since it's been around longer) but as a very light user anyway, I will likely continue using the built-in app.
post #12 of 63

I think there's an error with the headline. Should read "Google Music gains free scan & match in US to blatantly copy Apple's iTunes Match"

post #13 of 63
Just like the character (Beloch?) in Indiana Jones:
"There's nothing you can do that I can not take away from you".

Google to Apple:
"There's nothing you can do that we won't stoop to copying"
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #14 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewalker10 View Post

Great first post 💩

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #15 of 63
If it was a blatant copy it'd cost $24.99, but it's free.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkichline View Post

I think there's an error with the headline. Should read "Google Music gains free scan & match in US to blatantly copy Apple's iTunes Match"
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #16 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

C'mon, Apple, please bring out your best. I've used Safari very little since Chrome came out for iOS. The Gmail app is really sophisticated and makes the Mail app in iOS look as aged as a POP3 client. I miss the ease of managing podcasts with native apps. I appreciate Cards, Notes, Voice Memos but I really don't use those. My most-used native apps are Photos and Calendar but there are some attractive competitors.
The competitors, cough, Google, has put out some really clunky apps in the past but boy are they looking good after a few years of iterations. Despite the examples of maps problems I'm still a real fan of the display in the new native map app so will likely continue using that. I trust Google Maps since I've used that much more (of course, since it's been around longer) but as a very light user anyway, I will likely continue using the built-in app.

I will give you the Gmail App (not that I use Gmail anymore), but Safari is better in my opinion. I do wish Apple would put the tabs on top. I use the reader function and off line reading a lot. Moreover, according to Little Snitch Chrome tried to call home every five minutes. 

post #17 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

That makes it worst because it is a classic example of anti-competitive behavior. 

post #18 of 63
Samsung just came out with S-Tunes Affiliation Z-spec IV%u2122 - Doesn't quite roll of the tongue like iTunes Match though...
post #19 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I don't think that is a logical conclusion. Being blatant doesn't mean a 1:1 mirror of every aspect of something. Chinese KIRFs are blatant copies that are much cheaper than the iPhone and often still look and act differently, but they are still blatant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That makes it worst because it is a classic example of anti-competitive behavior. 

They have a clear way of obtaining revenue from their "free" service so I don't think there is any anti-competiveness that can be attributed to them. It's simply a different business model than Apple.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #20 of 63

"Dear Android-Fan-in-the-future,

In response to your query as to why Apple spends so much time litigating yet Google does not:

THIS

...is why.

Kind Regards,

GTR"

My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
My car keeps crashing whenever I do 150mph. It's a design flaw. People tell me to slow down and drive normally but I should be able to use it as I wish.
post #21 of 63

Ironically, just a few seconds after sending this email into the future, I received a reply email from an Android fan advising me that, in their time, Google has changed it's motto:

"Google: Don't be Original".

post #22 of 63
Quote:

/s

Trust Google. Trust Eric Schmidt. Trust Larry Page.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #23 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Great first post 💩

He forgot, "I love Apple, but..."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #24 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I will give you the Gmail App (not that I use Gmail anymore), but Safari is better in my opinion. I do wish Apple would put the tabs on top. I use the reader function and off line reading a lot. Moreover, according to Little Snitch Chrome tried to call home every five minutes. 

I just wish Apple would update Safari for Windoze.  I have to use Windoze at work and my options are Chrome or IE.  Let's be honest, IE doesn't work half the time so my options are Chrome.

Less than thrilled but I can't get any others.

post #25 of 63
This is one case I really don't see a problem with this "copying" unless there is a legitimate copyright, patent or trademark being violated that I'm not seeing here.
post #26 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

C'mon, Apple, please bring out your best. I've used Safari very little since Chrome came out for iOS. 

We had to delete Chrome off all our work computers, the reason, it made our locked down systems susceptible to Trojans, someone missed the company wide memo to uninstall this trash.

The trojan that required tech support to pay a visit yesterday in order to perform a clean install of Windows as it could not be done remotely, was a nasty piece of work called XP Defender 2013

Common infection symptoms:

• Blocks internet connection
  • Block exe files from running
  • Installs itself without permissions
  • Connects to the internet without permission
  • Normal system programs crash immediatelly
  • Slow internet connection
  • System crashes
  • Annoying Pop-up's
  • Slow Computer

Now we use Firefox, after initially trialling Chrome, to run more modern training modules based on Flash and HTML 5 on our XP based systems which need IE6 (recently made to run in a VM) to run legacy programs.

On iOS I prefer Safari, if only for reader.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #27 of 63
Quote:

I just wish Apple would update Safari for Windoze.  I have to use Windoze at work and my options are Chrome or IE.  Let's be honest, IE doesn't work half the time so my options are Chrome.

If the bolded is true, the world has changed a lot in the past decade.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #28 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

We had to delete Chrome off all our work computers, the reason, it made our locked down systems susceptible to Trojans, someone missed the company wide memo to uninstall this trash.

The trojan that required tech support to pay a visit yesterday in order to perform a clean install of Windows as it could not be done remotely, was a nasty piece of work called XP Defender 2013

Common infection symptoms:

[*] Blocks internet connection
[*] Block exe files from running
[*] Installs itself without permissions
[*] Connects to the internet without permission
[*] Normal system programs crash immediatelly
[*] Slow internet connection
[*] System crashes
[*] Annoying Pop-up's
[*] Slow Computer

Now we use Firefox, after initially trialling Chrome, to run more modern training modules based on Flash and HTML 5 on our XP based systems which need IE6 (recently made to run in a VM) to run legacy programs.

On iOS I prefer Safari, if only for reader.

I'm not seeing how that is a Chrome issue. If it's about giving users access to installers you can always push the Chrome MSI to systems at regular intervals so the user isn't running the updates themselves. Google makes an enterprise version just for that purpose. There is also Chrome Frame which will give you the IE app with the Chrome WebKit engine which I find to be a great fit, especially on newer versions of IE.

post #29 of 63
This should provide Apple with leverage in its talks with media distributors. Either they will pull the rug out from under Google or offer equal terms to Apple. Should be interesting to watch.
post #30 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I'm not seeing how that is a Chrome issue. If it's about giving users access to installers you can always push the Chrome MSI to systems at regular intervals so the user isn't running the updates themselves. Google makes an enterprise version just for that purpose. There is also Chrome Frame which will give you the IE app with the Chrome WebKit engine which I find to be a great fit, especially on newer versions of IE.

We use what the company gives us, we cannot install anything, clearly Chrome provided an in for the trojan, probably by allowing the installation of Java (which is no longer installed) in it's "sandbox" by posing as a plug in.

These PC's are locked down tight, obviously the AV they use doesn't work too well.

It's fixed, it's not my problem.

post #31 of 63
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post
Trust Google. Trust Eric Schmidt. Trust Larry Page.

"Each man is a god… each man is free…"

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
If the bolded is true, the world has changed a lot in the past decade.

Yeah, Internet Explorer has gotten a heck of a lot better!

post #32 of 63

Apple really should be alarmed at this stage of the game. Google clearly is setting up a very strong HALO effect with regard to apps and services to grab potential buyers from Apple.

-Gmail

-YouTube

-Maps

-Play Music

-Drive

-Capture

-Chrome

Much like how Apple scored loads of sales from iTunes, Quicktime, iPods and this helped move more iPhones and Macs, Google appears to be giving lot of free and useful software and apps away so that when the time comes, it isn't so hard to convince you to switch to Android. I forget who it was around here that was arguing that Apple had perfected vertical integration and there is no way the Mac vs PC fiasco could happen again. Every single one of those apps is proof Apple hasn't perfected it.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." -George Orwell

post #33 of 63
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Every single one of those apps is proof Apple hasn't perfected it.

Why? Why does their existence preclude that? 

post #34 of 63
Quote:

Apple really should be alarmed at this stage of the game. Google clearly is setting up a very strong HALO effect with regard to apps and services to grab potential buyers from Apple.

Why is that true now when it wasn't true the last few million times we heard it?
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #35 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

The only two people I know personally that had an issue with iTunes match were jail breakers who had who knows what on their devices.

Well I'm not a jailbreaker and iTunes Match has been a pretty low calibur service IMHO.  Here are my issues:

- Play counts are not counted correctly (if at all)

- Smart Playlists don't update

- A third of my music in the iTunes Store but not purchased there was not matched

- Songs that were purchased in the iTunes Store didn't get upgrades

- 15 songs got hung up Matching and have never completed the process after two weeks (and multiple tries)

- No sync management via cord with iTunes Match turned on

- It doesn't really stream the tracks

- Lost ability to download a single track and can only download an entire album

- Artwork was lost or mismatched on hundreds of tracks and couldn't be changed

- Even with the service turned off I get warning EVERY TIME I add a song to a playlist that said playlist will be taken off iTunes Match

For all of these reasons and a few others iTunes Match has been 90% a waste of my time and money.  A terrible service that I don't recommend to anyone.  I've had the service turned off for months now and can't wait for my subscription to expire in January 2013.

post #36 of 63
Free high quality streaming of the music I have? This doesn't compete with Match, it destroys it.
But I prefer Spotify anyway.
post #37 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

"Dear Android-Fan-in-the-future,

In response to your query as to why Apple spends so much time litigating yet Google does not:

THIS

...is why.

Kind Regards,

GTR"

Stop being ignorant. Google music has been around for a long time. In the past, you install a small music manager on your computer and it uploads songs to the cloud from whatever folder you specify. The only thing that Google has added with this update is the ability to stream the songs that are in the upload que from Google's copy while you wait for your copy to upload. This isn't even a major update. It just makes Google music work more quickly.

Edit: Dear Appleinsider, This is a slanderous article. Google music with 20,000 songs of cloud service has been around for a long time. Please make it clear in your article what the update actually added.

Edited by NexusPhan - 12/18/12 at 4:44pm
post #38 of 63
Quote:

You mean the Apple Halo effect really means, if you copy Apple your business goes up? Wow. What a spin.
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
"Building for the future?! They should be running around reacting to the present!" -John Moltz
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Free high quality streaming of the music I have? This doesn't compete with Match, it destroys it.
But I prefer Spotify anyway.
How can it really be free? Some how, some way it's being paid for.
post #40 of 63
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post
Edit: Dear Appleinsider, This is a slanderous article. Google music with 20,000 songs of cloud service has been around for a long time. Please make it clear in your article what the update actually added.

Are you blind? Read the first sentence. READ THE TITLE, even.

This is in no way "slander". It's not even ambiguous. If you can't understand what was added, that's your fault.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google Music gains free scan & match in US to compete with Apple's iTunes Match