or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google Music gains free scan & match in US to compete with Apple's iTunes Match

Google Music gains free scan & match in US to compete with Apple's iTunes Match - Page 2

post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Are you blind? Read the first sentence. READ THE TITLE, even.

This is in no way "slander". It's not even ambiguous. If you can't understand what was added, that's your fault.

I know what the changes were because I've used Google music for a long time. But, it must not be clear in this article what Google music was before this update as evidenced by all of the comments.

post #42 of 63
Originally Posted by NexusPhan View Post
But, it must not be clear in this article what Google music was before this update…

Google Music gains free scan & match

Google announced Tuesday that its new matching feature will scan a music collection and quickly rebuild it in the cloud for free. Previously, users were required to upload their own music, a process that could take days for a collection with many gigabytes of audio.

Google Music allows users to match up to 20,000 songs from their music collection

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #43 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by genovelle View Post

The only two people I know personally that had an issue with iTunes match were jail breakers who had who knows what on their devices.

I have had plenty of inconsistent experiences with iTunes Match. First when a direct copy of albums that are in the top 50 best selling of all time matches half the songs and uploads the other half sourced by the CD itself makes zero sense. That's an annoyance more than a problem but still really unnecessary. I've also had so many buffering lock-ups on my iPhone 5 in great LTE reception it's head scratching. For that reason I've dumped it and gone back to just physically loading the phone. The TV and iPad don't seem to have the problem though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

This is one case I really don't see a problem with this "copying" unless there is a legitimate copyright, patent or trademark being violated that I'm not seeing here.

I'm not understanding all the copy complaints. Most of this type of thing is driven and controlled by the labels and distributors to begin with. 

Google Music us a useful backup product since it can be used anywhere since all you really need is a browser, and handy on crappy locked down corporate PCs. The fact it's free is a plus. Overall, still geared towards Android users for sure. Meh. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
post #44 of 63
Quote:

I tend to agree with you but the vast majority of people on this site have no idea what Google music was. Because of the way the article is written, it seems as if the cloud storage was a newly added feature in addition to match. It just seems to be an intentionally misleading and incomplete article. I'm not even sure why it's on this site. It's really a non-event. It does not do what iTunes match does. You can't download a copy from Google's music store like you can with iTunes match. You can only temporarily stream it while your copy is uploaded. You have to admit that part is clearly missing from the article.

post #45 of 63

There are serious problems with iTunes Match. Here is a 33 page (and counting) thread that is currently alive and well at the Apple Support Community.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20582554?ac_cid=tw123456#20582554

post #46 of 63
Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post
Here is a 33 page (and counting) thread that is currently alive and well at the Apple Support Community.

And that means absolutely nothing.

post #47 of 63
Quote:

Stop being ignorant. 

No.

Whaddya gonna do now?

(No running to your mother for help)

post #48 of 63

It does mean something to the people who paid $25 for something that doesn't work. 

post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How can it really be free? Some how, some way it's being paid for.

All you have to do is allow Google to scan your hard drive and give you targeted ads. If you don't mind the lack of privacy, then it's free.
post #50 of 63
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
All you have to do is allow Google to scan your hard drive and give you targeted ads. If you don't mind the lack of privacy, then it's free.

Freedom is slavery.

post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

There's nothing else than music information that's sent to Google's servers. If they were sending anything else the EU would already have blocked it.

I understand that can be too much for some, I personally wouldn't care if they knew what I listen to, and google is pretty clear in their privacy policy :

Quote:
Content and usage information. Google Music stores, processes, and maintains information about your usage, access, and playback of Your Music in Google Music Storage ("Personal Usage"); about your purchase history and playback activity related to items you preview and buy in the Google Music Store ("Store Usage"); and about the songs you share and listen to in connection with Google Music Social Recommendations ("Social Usage") (all forms of usage history together, your "Usage Activity"). We may use your Usage Activity as a whole in order to provide and personalize the Service to you (e.g., to build Instant Mix playlists at your request, to make personalized recommendations for future purchases in the Google Music Store, etc.), and to improve Google's products and services. Usage Activity may also include storage and analysis of information related to your use of the Service overall, playback counts, playlist content, and related information needed to provide you with personalized features of the Service. You can find more information about Instant Mix and personalized recommendations in the Google Music Help Center. We might also share de-identified data (i.e., without any personally identifiable information attached) derived from or reflecting your Store Usage and Social Usage to our content partners for purposes of sales and financial audits, analysis of trends and usage patterns, and in connection with reports and payments of royalties to artists and copyright owners. For purchases where we act as the content partner's agent, we include the state, city, and zip code from a purchaser's billing address in our de-identified transactions reports related to Store Usage.

What's important is that it's free.

But again, I prefer streaming/caching on Spotify for 10 euros/month.

post #52 of 63
Quote:

Freedom is slavery.

And Rhythm is a Dancer? Although that song is 20 years old so I assume Rhythm probably is only a dance teacher now.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #53 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That makes it worst because it is a classic example of anti-competitive behavior. 

Anti-competitive behaviour? Tell your dealer I want some of what you're smoking.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
post #54 of 63
Quote:

I tend to agree with you but the vast majority of people on this site have no idea what Google music was. Because of the way the article is written, it seems as if the cloud storage was a newly added feature in addition to match. It just seems to be an intentionally misleading and incomplete article. I'm not even sure why it's on this site. It's really a non-event. It does not do what iTunes match does. You can't download a copy from Google's music store like you can with iTunes match. You can only temporarily stream it while your copy is uploaded. You have to admit that part is clearly missing from the article.

It was a bit like iDisk, which Apple first launched in 2000 and now Google has made it more like iTunes Match which Apple launched over a year ago in 2011.

Where others lead Google follows, what else is there to know?

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #55 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I'm not understanding all the copy complaints. Most of this type of thing is driven and controlled by the labels and distributors to begin with. 

Google Music us a useful backup product since it can be used anywhere since all you really need is a browser, and handy on crappy locked down corporate PCs. The fact it's free is a plus. Overall, still geared towards Android users for sure. Meh.

I think Amazon offers something similar, I'm not certain though.

Anyway, I think this is a lot like a business model. Business models are almost never protected. I still have a hard time articulating the specifics on why this instance is perfectly acceptable. There are several ways to protect ideas, and I don't see anything here that trips those protections.
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by trumptman View Post

Apple really should be alarmed at this stage of the game. Google clearly is setting up a very strong HALO effect with regard to apps and services to grab potential buyers from Apple.

-Gmail
-YouTube
-Maps
-Play Music
-Drive
-Capture
-Chrome

Much like how Apple scored loads of sales from iTunes, Quicktime, iPods and this helped move more iPhones and Macs, Google appears to be giving lot of free and useful software and apps away so that when the time comes, it isn't so hard to convince you to switch to Android. I forget who it was around here that was arguing that Apple had perfected vertical integration and there is no way the Mac vs PC fiasco could happen again. Every single one of those apps is proof Apple hasn't perfected it.

I get your point, and is somewhat valid, but they aren't crediting you for every app and video you have in one ecosystem to go to the other. That is a huge advantage for both platforms and loyalty. You can argue that "there are more free apps on android" but not sure that is true. Maybe android users download more free versions than their iOS counterparts, but who knows. Android is a means to an end for Google. While they publically push android, I think internally they don't care, AS LONG AS PEOPLE ARE USING THEIR SERVICES.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Well I'm not a jailbreaker and iTunes Match has been a pretty low calibur service IMHO.  Here are my issues:

- Play counts are not counted correctly (if at all)
- Smart Playlists don't update
- A third of my music in the iTunes Store but not purchased there was not matched
- Songs that were purchased in the iTunes Store didn't get upgrades
- 15 songs got hung up Matching and have never completed the process after two weeks (and multiple tries)
- No sync management via cord with iTunes Match turned on
- It doesn't really stream the tracks
- Lost ability to download a single track and can only download an entire album
- Artwork was lost or mismatched on hundreds of tracks and couldn't be changed
- Even with the service turned off I get warning EVERY TIME I add a song to a playlist that said playlist will be taken off iTunes Match

For all of these reasons and a few others iTunes Match has been 90% a waste of my time and money.  A terrible service that I don't recommend to anyone.  I've had the service turned off for months now and can't wait for my subscription to expire in January 2013.

Knocking on wood here, but I must be in the minority with iTunes Match. Of my 10K - 12K songs, I have a better that 90% match rate. Every so often, there is an odd issue where one song on an album is "uploaded" - but that has gotten less frequent. And the songs that don't match are mostly stuff b Big Country that I bought as imports, and they just aren't available in the US store.

My music is all on an external drive connected to my iMac. Match is enabled and accessed from iCloud on it, a Mac mini, a MacBook Air, 2 iPads, 2 iPod touches, 2 iPhones and an Apple TV. I add songs to playlists on one device and the playlist is updated across them all.

The only thing I can think of that is different from the complaints I hear could be my background. Aside for some OCD, my background is in Data Warehouse implementation. The motto? "Garbage in, garbage out." Before there even was iTunes Match, I bought and used religiously, TuneUp, so perhaps my diligence with metadata of the tracks helps the match process.
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

There's nothing else than music information that's sent to Google's servers. If they were sending anything else the EU would already have blocked it.
I understand that can be too much for some, I personally wouldn't care if they knew what I listen to, and google is pretty clear in their privacy policy :

What's important is that it's free.
But again, I prefer streaming/caching on Spotify for 10 euros/month.

And Google never obtains more info than needed. /s

Google sells user information. Privacy is something they abhor.
post #58 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Shameless, relentless, disintermediating, copyist juggernaut.

Just wanted to give you props on phrase-makin' there.  Great verbal gymnastics! 

(Whatever their merit, and however this distinguishes GOOG from any large corporation following its mandate to grow and propagate.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That makes it worst because it is a classic example of anti-competitive behavior. 

Answered elsewhere.  But will add that if Google had no way of making money directly or indirectly from this, you'd be right, but since they do, you're (by "classical" definition) wrong.

And randomly reminds me of a story my mother told me of her teen-age days as a clerk in a variety store that sold bubble bath for 7 cents a pack on weekdays, but ran a Saturday "sale" when they'd change the signage to two for 15 cents......  1eek.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Ironically, just a few seconds after sending this email into the future, I received a reply email from an Android fan advising me that, in their time, Google has changed it's motto:

"Google: Don't be Original".

Will you post "Apple: Don't be Original" when Apple finally makes OS X touch-enabled like Windows 8 - which has many, many failings and compromises that should never have been made, but got this part (occasional when convenient, but not constant use of touch) right?

Oh, and it's "its" in the possessive pronoun case.... 

Quote:

"Each man is a god… each man is free…"

Yeah, Internet Explorer has gotten a heck of a lot better!

For anyone who hasn't already seen 'em, whatever your browser choice (I go back and forth twixt FF and Chrome, and lately mostly FF) these bits from MS's IE campaign are kinda clever:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD9FAOPBiDk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DbgiOCTQts

http://browseryoulovedtohate.com/

Edited by bigpics - 12/19/12 at 12:34pm

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchi211 View Post

There are serious problems with iTunes Match. Here is a 33 page (and counting) thread that is currently alive and well at the Apple Support Community.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20582554?ac_cid=tw123456#20582554

Unfortunately, the number of pages in a thread is no real indicator of problem size. For example, here's a few observations from the thread you cited:

A lot of people are complaining.
A lot of people are posting the same complaint more than once.
A lot of people are posting to say the service is great and they're having no problems.
A lot of people are posting to say the service is great and they're having no problems, more than once.
And one person who says he has no problems with the service but is going to stop using it anyway because so many people are complaining.

And still, there doesn't appear to be more than 50 unique posters over the entire thread.

And we don't know how many people are actually using their service, so does this number represent fifty per cent of the user base, or does it represent 0.01 per cent?
Edited by Rayz - 12/19/12 at 11:06pm
post #60 of 63
Oh Android, how doth thou court me with thy wiley ways, you temptress, you mistress, taking me away from my one true *cough former cough* lover...
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And Rhythm is a Dancer? Although that song is 20 years old so I assume Rhythm probably is only a dance teacher now.

OH NO YOU DID'NT...!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by leewalker10 View Post

iTunes Match is terrible. At one point after creating one new playlist on my iPhone, iTunes Match then decided to create 30,000+ duplicates of that playlist, freezing every single device I had.
And the majority of the time after fixing that, it froze my devices.
Worked well on Apple TV though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

C'mon, Apple, please bring out your best. I've used Safari very little since Chrome came out for iOS. The Gmail app is really sophisticated and makes the Mail app in iOS look as aged as a POP3 client. I miss the ease of managing podcasts with native apps. I appreciate Cards, Notes, Voice Memos but I really don't use those. My most-used native apps are Photos and Calendar but there are some attractive competitors.
The competitors, cough, Google, has put out some really clunky apps in the past but boy are they looking good after a few years of iterations. Despite the examples of maps problems I'm still a real fan of the display in the new native map app so will likely continue using that. I trust Google Maps since I've used that much more (of course, since it's been around longer) but as a very light user anyway, I will likely continue using the built-in app.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Well I'm not a jailbreaker and iTunes Match has been a pretty low calibur service IMHO. Here are my issues:

- Play counts are not counted correctly (if at all)
- Smart Playlists don't update
- A third of my music in the iTunes Store but not purchased there was not matched
- Songs that were purchased in the iTunes Store didn't get upgrades
- 15 songs got hung up Matching and have never completed the process after two weeks (and multiple tries)
- No sync management via cord with iTunes Match turned on
- It doesn't really stream the tracks
- Lost ability to download a single track and can only download an entire album
- Artwork was lost or mismatched on hundreds of tracks and couldn't be changed
- Even with the service turned off I get warning EVERY TIME I add a song to a playlist that said playlist will be taken off iTunes Match

For all of these reasons and a few others iTunes Match has been 90% a waste of my time and money. A terrible service that I don't recommend to anyone. I've had the service turned off for months now and can't wait for my subscription to expire in January 2013.

Quiet, thou speaketh heresy.
post #61 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Oh Android, how doth thou court me with thy wiley ways, you temptress, you mistress, taking me away from my one true *cough former cough* lover...
OH NO YOU DID'NT...!!!
Quiet, thou speaketh heresy.

Try it.

That is the best way to gain experience.

Hope it brings what you require.

Thanks for all the generous comments recently!

post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Try it.

That is the best way to gain experience.

Hope it brings what you require.

Thanks for all the generous comments recently!

I have gone over to the dark side, there is no coming back.

Dude at the Vodafone Australia shop did me a solid by charging me just $30/month for a HTC One X 32GB. International version, so Tegra 3, etc. I'm using my Telstra SIM because data-wise, Vodafone is... hmm, bad. But I trolled Vodafone successfully to get a decent monthly payment for a handset, don't need data.

Donated my XperiaS to one of those mall toys-for-tots(and adults) collection thingies. Hope they figure it out, and if they do some kid/teen/adult will hopefully get an Android Christmas miracle. Perhaps even the next (aussie) Steve Jobs. Or a drug dealer, using his smart new phone to pull off mad deals... whichever.

So yeah, iPad 3, iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 is in the drawer now, just for testing purposes as needed (more on this another time).

HTC One X now my main phone ~ TrickDroid mod Android 4.1.x ... Plus Nexus 7 for tablet (stock, rooted).

Forgive me Father Jobs, for I have sinned... And LOVING IT! MUAH HA HA HA
post #63 of 63
Quote:

"Google did it first."

Actually LaLa.com was doing it in 2009 if not earlier. That tech is very possibly one of the reasons that Apple bought LaLa in the first place. Pity they never hung onto the other features. If they had copied those features and added them to Ping they might have had something that wouldn't crash and burn in a year. 

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Google Music gains free scan & match in US to compete with Apple's iTunes Match