or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Australian University to distribute 11,000 iPads to students and faculty

Australian University to distribute 11,000 iPads to students and faculty

post #1 of 35
In an educational initiative set to kick off next year, the University of Western Sydney will rollout some 11,000 Apple iPads to all faculty and newly-enrolled students.

Textbooks

The iPads will be used to help facilitate a curriculum overhaul across the university's six campuses, with educators looking to offer more flexible study options and a "blended learning model," reports The Australian.

"With digital technology revolutionizing how we connect and interact with the world, university study should be no different," said UWS Pro Vice-Chancellor of Education Kerri-Lee Krause.

Krause said the iPads will be at the center of new teaching methods that combine traditional lectures with interactive programs to create a more dynamic learning experience.

"Mobile technologies will be a key part of this strategy," she said. "We want to support our academic staff to make the most of iPads and custom-designed apps in class so that, even in the largest lecture theatre, students have access to just-for-me, just-in-time interactive learning experiences."

In a race to garner the lucrative education market, Apple released iBooks Author earlier this year, which teachers can use for the creation, distribution and upkeep of textbooks and other class materials. The digital textbooks can be "marked up" with highlights and feature interactive graphics capabilities.

Market data from September illustrated that the iPad is accounting for a growing portion of U.S. educational sales, clearly outpacing Macs and PCs as students opt for more portable and flexible tablets.

The news comes after Apple extended volume app purchasing programs outside the U.S. for the first time, granting nine countries access to the program including Australia. Under the program's terms, educational institutions like UWS can buy both apps and e-books at reduced prices on purchases of 20 units or more, and content can be distributed to students, teachers, administrators, and employees.

Similar education programs leveraging the iPad have already been rolling out in the U.S., one of the largest being the San Diego Unified School District's purchase of 26,000 units in June.
post #2 of 35

Is that more than the number of Surface RT's sold?

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 35
And Apple stock will drop another 5 points.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #4 of 35
Wise choice, mate.
post #5 of 35
Apple should make durable rubberized iPad just for education.

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

iPod nano 5th Gen 8GB Orange, iPad 3rd Gen WiFi 32GB White
MacBook Pro 15" Core i7 2.66GHz 8GB RAM 120GB Intel 320M
Mac mini Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz 8GB RAM, iPhone 5 32GB Black

post #6 of 35

I hope those Aussie students don't use the iMaps app to find their way to school.....else they'll find themselves 40 miles away, without food, water or cell coverage.

/s

Why does Apple bashing and trolling make people feel so good?

post #7 of 35

The University also plans to send its students and faculty on a field trip to Mildura as part of new study to test their survival skills.

post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

I hope those Aussie students don't use the iMaps app to find their way to school.....else they'll find themselves 40 miles away, without food, water or cell coverage.
/s

edit: LOL

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #9 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

I think an external case does the job quite well without the need for a special case design.

post #10 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

edit: LOL

+1+++  

LMAO!

post #11 of 35

She talks about "revolutionary" but she's still talking about using these devices in a lecture theatre.  The real challenge for university administrators like her is to figure out how institutions like hers survive post lecture theatre.

post #12 of 35

What's really funny about that picture at the Sydney Opera House is that it ridicules our (American) stereotyping of Australia, while committing another stereotype, that is being so damn proud of the Sydney Harbour Bridge, that they couldn't help but make sure to put it in the picture!

Love ya mates!

PS: I did the bridge climb, and ya it was spectacular, but still, the stereotype stands.

post #13 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

She talks about "revolutionary" but she's still talking about using these devices in a lecture theatre.  The real challenge for university administrators like her is to figure out how institutions like hers survive post lecture theatre.

They can use the lecture halls, mobile devices and PCs/Macs altogether.
post #14 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aizmov View Post

You're just sayin' that because of the way the kids throw tablets around in the MS Surface commercials. 

Most iPad owners that feel their iPad needs protection buys the cover of their choosing. If Apple were to dictate that by making it part of the case, can you imagine the static they'd get??

In real life when someone in the college library snaps open his Surface kickstand everyone looks around to see the luser. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #15 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

They better make them beer-proof like they do here in Canada.

...and a salute of the Fosters to you mate!

post #16 of 35

A bit of context. Unis in Oz were dominated by Macs until about 1997 then turned to the dark side at Admin/ITS insistence. But Macs never faded completely (esp in the hard Sciences) and since about 2007 Macs have been steadily regaining their dominance (including Admin!) There's iMacs everywhere and, visibly, over half of laptop-toting students own MBPs. So giving the students iPads makes even better sense than it would in places still stuck in the horrors of Wintel land. 

post #17 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

...and a salute of the Fosters to you mate!

Aussies don't drink fosters :P its not even an Australian beer anymore. 
its cool in the simpsons epp tho 

post #18 of 35
From memory the University of Adelaide gave(?) iPads to at least part of its first year intake in 2011. I remember my nephew reporting that he had been given one, but I could be wrong though: maybe someone else will confirm or deny.
post #19 of 35

Fosters is sometimes referred to as "love on a beach"

… coz it's f*cking near water!

Coopers Sparkling Ale (bottled) and Cascade (on tap) would be my faves among Aussie beers.

post #20 of 35
Coopers rules 1smile.gif.
post #21 of 35

Yes, Adelaide U. was an early adopter: students enrolling in a BSc program got one beginning in 2011. With UWS it's for all programs. 

post #22 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And Apple stock will drop another 5 points.

Just realize that we live in a universe where Apple is doing just fine. However there is another parallel universe where Android is WINNING! In this universe Charlie Sheen has a black goatee and is evil.

post #23 of 35
Wow that's a lot of Happy future iPad owners 1smile.gif
What do you guys do when looking for apps for your devices? I found this http://www.mevvy.com/articles/the-15-best-tools-apps-for-your-ipad-part-1/ what do you guys think? Has anyone heard of this site before?
post #24 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Just realize that we live in a universe where Apple is doing just fine. However there is another parallel universe where Android is WINNING!

Unfortunately, the people driving the stock price live in that alternate universe.

What they don't get is that even if Apple's profits drop by 50%, their P/E ratio would still be in line with the rest of the market - and better than most of their competition.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #25 of 35
Quote:

Unfortunately, the people driving the stock price live in that alternate universe.
What they don't get is that even if Apple's profits drop by 50%, their P/E ratio would still be in line with the rest of the market - and better than most of their competition.

If only AAPL would do a stock split, then that would bring in all the investors sitting on the fence beause they think the price too high. Say do a 10 for 1 split, bringing it to a $50. stock, and in no time at all, AAPL will shoot up to $100 and more. Other wise this stock will continue to stagnate.

post #26 of 35
Originally Posted by Potsie Webber View Post
Other wise this stock will continue to stagnate.

Apple stock between the last two splits.

Apple stock since the last split.

Note the difference in Y scale. 10-40 to 100-700.

"Stagnate", huh.

Originally posted by Relic

...those little naked weirdos are going to get me investigated.

post #27 of 35

Okay smart guy, what has this stock done the past 6 months? STAGNATE.

post #28 of 35
Originally Posted by Potsie Webber View Post
Okay smart guy, what has this stock done the past 6 months? STAGNATE.

Up YoY. Apple has always been a long-haul stock.

post #29 of 35

am I the only one who wonders why a university would do this?  I personally love having my iPad, but see next to NO value having it in a lecture hall.  I'm a computer engineer, and have sat through more than my share of classes, and if anything, electronic devices distract the students.  Phones, tablets, laptops, etc.  At least a laptop user could be taking notes, and people can legitimately say that they can type as fast as the professor speaks.    That kind of works for some classes, but try taking notes for a math class on a laptop!  Sure, a tablet could allow freeform text input, but the ipad doesn't really do that, so handwriting notes on there isn't a win.  typing on there is also not a win.  So in reality, you'll end up with 11,000 students in classes playing words with friends, or talking on facebook instead of paying attention to class.

If electronic devices are integrated properly into a classroom, they can be useful, but only for short segments.  They do not currently replace existing techniques.  They could be useful for taking quizes (if there was a way to prevent cheating, which will always be a problem on internet connected devices), they can be useful in labs for taking photos, and quick notes, making up spreadsheets as you go along, viewing graphs etc.  Much of that stuff is easier to do on a tablet than by hand or with a graphing calculator.  Other usages could be replacing text books with e books, but how often are text books used in the classroom, and what happens if a professor wants to have an "open book exam".  There are also other things professors can do to integrate tablets into the classroom, but will they?  At least in the USA, college professors are some of the people least qualified to teach college students.  Having a PhD says nothing about your ability to teach the subject, just that you have mastered doing research in a niche area of it.  Do you really think they care about learning new teaching techniques, especially when they have research to do?  At most schools, a professor's ability to teach is one of the least important qualities when tenure is considered, so what motivation do they have to really utilize new technology rather than attempt to teach students the same way they were taught?  Additionally, once a professor has tenure, they're immune to everything short of sexual harrassment, or charges of racism, do you really think the older tenured faculty are going to spend their time developing new teaching strategies?

So what will likely happen is that the school spends millions more developing software for the tablets, and a few professors use it.  The net cost to the student is likely in the thousands of dollars per year, but they get a shiny new iPad out of the deal.  I have a feeling this is just another example of the waste that causes college prices to rise far faster than inflation.

Phil

post #30 of 35
Originally Posted by philter View Post
…next to NO value having it in a lecture hall.  …electronic devices distract the students.  …a tablet could allow freeform text input, but the iPad doesn't really do that,… so handwriting notes on there isn't a win.  (if there was a way to prevent cheating, which will always be a problem on internet connected devices) …what happens if a professor wants to have an "open book exam".  Additionally, once a professor has tenure, they're immune to everything short of sexual harrassment, or charges of racism, do you really think the older tenured faculty are going to spend their time developing new teaching strategies?

In order: for notes, willpower, does it really well, Nope; lockdown browser, shut off local Wi-Fi, and wouldn't the older ones be most likely to be the actual teachers who care?

post #31 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

In order: for notes, willpower, does it really well, Nope; lockdown browser, shut off local Wi-Fi, and wouldn't the older ones be most likely to be the actual teachers who care?

I'm not sure what you're getting at for taking notes, I'm sure their are apps that allow it, and make it fairly decent, but I highly doubt it beats old pencil and paper.  The only advantage of taking notes on your ipad is that you're less likely to lose/forget your ipad than your notebook.  As far as locking down a web browser and shutting off local wifi to prevent cheating... Good luck.  What happens when a student tethers from their phone?  As far as I know no ios apps really allow locking down and restricting internet access on an ipad.  That would require access to kernel apis that likely can't get called without jailbreaking... Unless you're saying the schools should jailbreak their ipads.  Also, even if such an app exists, a student could jailbreak their ipad and get around it.  It's similar to the problem of students storing notes on their calculators, only much much worse.  The fact of the matter is it is just too easy for a student to work around any limitations on the device, to the point where tests with an ipad aren't valid.

As far as which teachers care, it's not so much a matter of caring, versus having the time and will to learn a new method of teaching.  Especially if it's an extra workload on your part that doesn't ease anything.  Professors are already working crazy hours (mostly on their research), and taking time out to do ipad stuff just seems like a waste.  For all of the things an ipad can do, it is mostly a toy.  Although they can be used for serious work, it's normally not the primary method of doing it.  Contractors might use them to look up information or setup bills, but they don't use tablets to do their work.  The only field where I see tablets being a "disruptive" technology that really changes the flow is in hospitals, where having instant connectivity to a patients records, and reducing the chance of wrong sheets making it to a patient is a huge deal.  Even there, the ipad is a tool that would be used primarily for consumption.  Short notes would be entered on there, but anything detailed would likely be input from a computer.

Trying to use ipads in a lecture hall just seems like trying to marry fashion with the classroom.  Students will think the school is hip, parents will think the school is technologically advanced, but in reality the school just opened up another way for students to goof off during classtime.

Phil

post #32 of 35
Originally Posted by philgar View Post
I'm not sure what you're getting at for taking notes, I'm sure their are apps that allow it, and make it fairly decent, but I highly doubt it beats old pencil and paper.

Much faster, much more legible, perfectly capable… 

As far as locking down a web browser and shutting off local wifi to prevent cheating... Good luck.

Already been done. Called the LockDown browser; I mentioned it.

What happens when a student tethers from their phone?

Doesn't matter; they're still using that browser.

Also, even if such an app exists, a student could jailbreak their ipad and get around it.

Have the app run a call to check for jailbreaking. If yes, return 0. If no, run. Apple did the exact same thing.

For all of the things an ipad can do, it is mostly a toy.

Nope.

Although they can be used for serious work, it's normally not the primary method of doing it.

You bring up an interesting point. I'd love to see the ratio.

Trying to use ipads in a lecture hall just seems like trying to marry fashion with the classroom.  Students will think the school is hip, parents will think the school is technologically advanced, but in reality the school just opened up another way for students to goof off during classtime.

Why are you resummarizing your point when I've already negated most of it?

post #33 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

am I the only one who wonders why a university would do this?  I personally love having my iPad, but see next to NO value having it in a lecture hall.  I'm a computer engineer, and have sat through more than my share of classes, and if anything, electronic devices distract the students.  Phones, tablets, laptops, etc.  At least a laptop user could be taking notes, and people can legitimately say that they can type as fast as the professor speaks.    That kind of works for some classes, but try taking notes for a math class on a laptop!  Sure, a tablet could allow freeform text input, but the ipad doesn't really do that, so handwriting notes on there isn't a win.  typing on there is also not a win.  So in reality, you'll end up with 11,000 students in classes playing words with friends, or talking on facebook instead of paying attention to class.

If electronic devices are integrated properly into a classroom, they can be useful, but only for short segments.  They do not currently replace existing techniques.  They could be useful for taking quizes (if there was a way to prevent cheating, which will always be a problem on internet connected devices), they can be useful in labs for taking photos, and quick notes, making up spreadsheets as you go along, viewing graphs etc.  Much of that stuff is easier to do on a tablet than by hand or with a graphing calculator.  Other usages could be replacing text books with e books, but how often are text books used in the classroom, and what happens if a professor wants to have an "open book exam".  There are also other things professors can do to integrate tablets into the classroom, but will they?  At least in the USA, college professors are some of the people least qualified to teach college students.  Having a PhD says nothing about your ability to teach the subject, just that you have mastered doing research in a niche area of it.  Do you really think they care about learning new teaching techniques, especially when they have research to do?  At most schools, a professor's ability to teach is one of the least important qualities when tenure is considered, so what motivation do they have to really utilize new technology rather than attempt to teach students the same way they were taught?  Additionally, once a professor has tenure, they're immune to everything short of sexual harrassment, or charges of racism, do you really think the older tenured faculty are going to spend their time developing new teaching strategies?

So what will likely happen is that the school spends millions more developing software for the tablets, and a few professors use it.  The net cost to the student is likely in the thousands of dollars per year, but they get a shiny new iPad out of the deal.  I have a feeling this is just another example of the waste that causes college prices to rise far faster than inflation.

Phil

You can take notes as easily on an ipad as on a notebook - and you don't have clicking keys to distract the people around you.

As for the rest, some schools are better than others - and virtually all of them are better than they were 5 years ago. It's a work in progress.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #34 of 35
I wish my college gave me an iPad.
post #35 of 35
Quote:

You can take notes as easily on an ipad as on a notebook - and you don't have clicking keys to distract the people around you.
As for the rest, some schools are better than others - and virtually all of them are better than they were 5 years ago. It's a work in progress.

I think you mistake my reference to a notebook.. I meant the paper kind... Not the laptop kind.  A regular notebook is incredibly versatile for taking notes, it's almost as if it was designed with that task in mind.  I remember trying to use my old laptop in class years ago, and all it did was encourage me to not pay attention by distracting me.  Although useful in labs, computers (including an ipad) are far more of a distraction to students in a lecture hall than they are useful.

If students really must have "digital" notes, they can scan in their paper notes when they're done.  I don't see this obsession with trying to force technology into every facet of life.  Sometimes the old ways are still better.

Phil

Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Australian University to distribute 11,000 iPads to students and faculty