or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Siri's reliance on Google cut in half with iOS 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Siri's reliance on Google cut in half with iOS 6

post #1 of 114
Thread Starter 
Tests with Apple's voice-driven personal assistant, Siri, have found that the service turns to Google for an answer in iOS 6 half as much as it did in iOS 5.

Piper


When investment firm Piper Jaffray initially tested Siri in June, its list of common queries found that Google was responsible for about 60 percent of the data returned. Now, with iOS 6, Google is responsible for only 30 percent of the data.

"The biggest change in query resolution to Google was the removal of Google Maps in iOS 6, as 23% of queries resolved to Apple Maps," analyst Gene Munster wrote on Thursday. "Yelp and Yahoo! also benefited slightly. Net-net we view this as a slight negative for consumers on Apple products as we view Apple Maps as an inferior product to Google Maps."

The latest tests also found evidence of behind-the-scenes improvements to Siri, though the changes have been slight. In iOS 5, Siri understood 89 percent of queries spoke in a quiet environment, while that improved to 91 percent in iOS 6, while 76 percent of queries were answered correctly in iOS 5 and that improved to 77 percent with iOS 6.

Since Piper Jaffray's first Siri test, Google has launched its own voice-driven assistant service, dubbed Google Now. For the latest test, Google Now was included to offer a head-to-head comparison with Siri, and found that Apple's service has a very slight advantage.

Piper


"It appears the two voice assistants are comparable to one another in terms of understanding the spoken query and returning the correct result," Munster wrote. "In our test, Siri correctly understood our queries 91% of the time in a quiet environment compared to Google Now at 88%. In terms of accuracy, we determined that Siri accurately answered understood queries 77% of the time compared to 75% for Google now."

Munster said the tests showed that Siri's greatest strengths are in local search and operating-system-level commands. Google Now, meanwhile, has its strengths in navigation and fetching information.

"For example, Siri enables full control of the music application via Siri, but Google Now does not understand all song change/pause commands," Munster said. "We believe Google will eventually strengthen its ability to control the OS in future launches."

One area where both Google Now and Siri are lacking, he said, is in commerce. Munster believes that Apple will integrate with local deal companies such as Groupon and Living Social to enhance commerce assistance with Siri.
post #2 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"The biggest change in query resolution to Google was the removal of Google Maps in iOS 6, as 23% of queries resolved to Apple Maps," analyst Gene Munster wrote on Thursday. "Yelp and Yahoo! also benefited slightly. Net-net we view this as a slight negative for consumers on Apple products as we view Apple Maps as an inferior product to Google Maps."

How about something more than your opinion? So far, no one has provided evidence that Apple Maps returns incorrect information more frequently than Google Maps. This is just one of those things that people start believing when it's repeated often enough.

Interestingly, they did think it was important to provide data on the Siri v Google Now issue. So why not provide data on Apple Maps v Google Maps?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #3 of 114
Now we need on-device speech recognition, to help speed up him/her.
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
Citing unnamed sources with limited but direct knowledge of the rumoured device - Comedy Insider (Feb 2014)
Reply
post #4 of 114
The headline is pure click bait. Of course switching to Tom Tom Maps would "reduce reliance on google" but that is like announcing 6 - 3 was found to be 3.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #5 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


How about something more than your opinion? So far, no one has provided evidence that Apple Maps returns incorrect information more frequently than Google Maps. This is just one of those things that people start believing when it's repeated often enough.
Interestingly, they did think it was important to provide data on the Siri v Google Now issue. So why not provide data on Apple Maps v Google Maps?

Besides Munster, Pogue and Siegler, all generally pro-Apple bloggers, Walt Mossberg chimed in to agree Google Maps is a great app.

 

"Google’s rich, reliable Maps app is back on the iPhone, and that means iPhone users can stop relying on the flawed, fledgling Apple maps app that replaced it as a built-in feature in September."

 

"I’ve been testing the new Google Maps on iPhone for a week or so in the San Francisco and Washington metro areas, and I really like it. It isn’t perfect, but I prefer it to any other iPhone Maps app I’ve used..."

 

It's very unusual, perhaps unheard of till now, to see this particular group of Apple-friendly tech columnists all agree that something from Google outperforms an Apple offering., wouldn't you agree Jragosta? Can't imagine what their motivation would be unless they truly believe what they've written.  None of them could be accused of being Google shills.


Edited by Gatorguy - 12/20/12 at 6:24am
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #6 of 114
i live in illinois, i wouldnt even know there was a problem with apple maps if the media wasnt shoving it down my throat, i like it, it looks nice its never lead me wrong, and while muli tasking it turns the status bar into directions that update live, googles ad riddled maps does not do that
post #7 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


How about something more than your opinion? So far, no one has provided evidence that Apple Maps returns incorrect information more frequently than Google Maps. 

 

So you don't believe that Google has more POI data than Apple at this point in time?

post #8 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Besides Munster, Pogue and Siegler, all generally pro-Apple bloggers, Walt Mossberg chimed in to agree Google Maps is a great app.

"Google’s rich, reliable Maps app is back on the iPhone, and that means iPhone users can stop relying on the flawed, fledgling Apple maps app that replaced it as a built-in feature in September."


"I’ve been testing the new Google Maps on iPhone for a week or so in the San Francisco and Washington metro areas, and I really like it. It isn’t perfect, but I prefer it to any other iPhone Maps app I’ve used..."


It's very unusual, perhaps unheard of till now, to see this particular group of Apple-friendly tech columnists all agree that something from Google outperforms an Apple offering., wouldn't you agree Jragosta? Can't imagine what their motivation would be unless they truly believe what they've written.  None of them could be accused of being Google shills.


What part of "facts" do you not understand? An opinion that is repeated 10,000 times is still an opinion.

Apple Maps has x errors.
Google Maps has y errors.

Let me know when you have evidence that x is significantly greater than y. So far, no one has provided any.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichL View Post

So you don't believe that Google has more POI data than Apple at this point in time?

I don't know. I am simply pointing out that no one has yet proven the oft-repeated claim that Apple Maps is inferior.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #9 of 114
That is his point, he doesn't want to rely on somebody's beliefs. He wants comparative data.
post #10 of 114
I love how he says Apple Maps is inferior and Google Now will improve. Why doesn't he say Google Now is inferior and Apple Maps will improve because that is also true.

Stock analyst = failed business person.
post #11 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


What part of "facts" do you not understand? An opinion that is repeated 10,000 times is still an opinion.
Apple Maps has x errors.
Google Maps has y errors.
Let me know when you have evidence that x is significantly greater than y. So far, no one has provided any.
I don't know. I am simply pointing out that no one has yet proven the oft-repeated claim that Apple Maps is inferior.

Yup. You and everyone else, including tech columnists, are posting their opinions. I completely agree. FWIW note I've posted none myself as I've not used both of them yet. Have you?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #12 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


What part of "facts" do you not understand? An opinion that is repeated 10,000 times is still an opinion.
Apple Maps has x errors.
Google Maps has y errors.
Let me know when you have evidence that x is significantly greater than y. So far, no one has provided any.
I don't know. I am simply pointing out that no one has yet proven the oft-repeated claim that Apple Maps is inferior.


I searched the other day for Chinese restaurants in my area. Apple Maps brought up Chinese AND teriyaki places.

 

Hello?

 

And if they rely on Foursquare to augment their data, God help Apple. I tried out Foursquare and it is sadly incomplete and a bit of a joke.

 

Google Maps (Apple app with Google data) has been my go-to app for years. It's very reliable. And transit information? Traffic information? It's great.

 

(Apple user 32 years)

post #13 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

That is his point, he doesn't want to rely on somebody's beliefs. He wants comparative data.

I would venture to say that's impossible. I've watched arguments over Navteq vs. Teleatlas map quality for years. When Google maps rolled out I saw more discussion about whether Google had better maps than either TeleAtlas (TomTom) or Navteq. the arguments still take place. Add in disagreements on who has the better validation and data gathering methods, which throws companies like Waze and OpenStreetMaps into the mix.

 

Much more qualified commenters than the ones in this thread (afaik) have been unable to prove beyond any doubt which mapping effort has the better data. I doubt a couple of guys at AI can change that. All that's left is opinion.

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #14 of 114

mostly due to maps...

post #15 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Now we need on-device speech recognition, to help speed up him/her.

 

Google's speech recognition is built in offline to devices running 4.0 and up. It takes up 23 MB.

 

Apple will catch up eventually. Probably iOS 7 next summer. This is the only reason Google Now is so much faster than Siri.

post #16 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would venture to say that's impossible. I've watched arguments over Navteq vs. Teleatlas map quality for years. When Google maps rolled out I saw more discussion about whether Google had better maps than either TeleAtlas (TomTom) or Navteq. the arguments still take place. Add in disagreements on who has the better validation and data gathering methods, which throws companies like Waze and OpenStreetMaps into the mix.

Much more qualified commenters than the ones in this thread (afaik) have been unable to prove beyond any doubt which mapping effort has the better data. I doubt a couple of guys at AI can change that. All that's left is opinion.

And that's exactly the point. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE that Apple Maps is inferior. None. Nada. Zip.

There are some anecdotes (like the person complaining above about Apple listing some teriyaki restaurants), but there are also errors with Google Maps. So all the whining about how bad Apple Maps is has no basis in fact. It's just more of the common Internet phenomenon - the loud people get heard. Just like all the other 'gates' that people have been throwing out about Apple. Most of them were either completely fabricated or blown so far out of proportion as to lose any sense of reality.

In the end, both Apple Maps and Google Maps do the job most of the time.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #17 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
In the end, both Apple Maps and Google Maps do the job most of the time.

So you've actually tried out both, given each a fair shake, or are you going by what others have said?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #18 of 114
There's no evidence Apple maps is inferior yet Tim Cook sends out an apology letter encouraging iOS customers to use competitor products. And in an interview with Brian Williams said "we screwed up" regarding maps. That's all the evidence I need.
post #19 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And that's exactly the point. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE that Apple Maps is inferior. None. Nada. Zip.
 

Apple maps may be almost as good as Google or even better in some areas which has been demonstrated with countless examples, however, there is usually a USA bias in those supporting the opinion that Apple maps is just as accurate and detailed as Google maps. By in large Apple Maps is quite lacking in other countries. People say that Apple Maps will get better as more people use it and correct POI through the feedback system, but that only works if the maps are semi useful to start with. If the data is so erroneous or missing that you can't even use it, where do you start in trying to fix it?

 

Below are two comparisons I just captured as an example of the complete uselessness of Apple Maps in Central America.

 

 

 

 

700700

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #20 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


How about something more than your opinion? So far, no one has provided evidence that Apple Maps returns incorrect information more frequently than Google Maps. This is just one of those things that people start believing when it's repeated often enough.
Interestingly, they did think it was important to provide data on the Siri v Google Now issue. So why not provide data on Apple Maps v Google Maps?

No, but Apple Maps does have far inferior points of interest data, especially outside of the USA.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #21 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I would venture to say that's impossible. I've watched arguments over Navteq vs. Teleatlas map quality for years. When Google maps rolled out I saw more discussion about whether Google had better maps than either TeleAtlas (TomTom) or Navteq. the arguments still take place. Add in disagreements on who has the better validation and data gathering methods, which throws companies like Waze and OpenStreetMaps into the mix.

 

Much more qualified commenters than the ones in this thread (afaik) have been unable to prove beyond any doubt which mapping effort has the better data. I doubt a couple of guys at AI can change that. All that's left is opinion.

 

 

I agree with your sentiment. Yet, most reviewers aren't pointing to any testing to say why Google's maps are better. Moreover, has anybody done any tests to see if Apple's Maps App has improved? In my area, it has always been pretty accurate. 

 

I performed a very limited test of both the Google and Apple Apps in Ann Arbor Michigan on two routes of about ten miles each. The first trip I wanted to find the Mall, the other Moe's Southwestern Grill. With Apple's App I just told Siri to plot the routes. Easy. With Google's App I performed a search, and found the destinations with no problem. So, both Apps had little trouble with the Point of Interest data. However, with the Google App it wasn't clear how to turn my search into directions using my current location and turn by turn. I had to fiddle with the App for a while and the method wasn't super intuitive. None of these glowing reviews seem to address that issue. 

 

Once I had the routes programed in, I ignored the directions and took my own route. Apple's App auto corrected with no problem. Google's struggled. At times, I wasn't sure what Google's App was doing at all. The most annoying thing was Google's App simply failed to tell me to turn at least twice, once on 1-94. 

 

Combine this experience, with the fact that most reviewers who downloaded the Google App gave it 5 stars within a couple minutes of downloading it (e.g. no testing done), I am skeptical Google's App is actually being compared side by side with Apple's Map App. 

 

Besides not calling it's App a Beta, I think one of Apple's biggest mistakes was not making turn by turn work on older model handsets. Perhaps, this is somehow tied to Siri. However, I guess there is a whole bunch of people who will use Google Maps on older model phones and become accustomed to it. 

post #22 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


What part of "facts" do you not understand? An opinion that is repeated 10,000 times is still an opinion.
Apple Maps has x errors.
Google Maps has y errors.
Let me know when you have evidence that x is significantly greater than y. So far, no one has provided any.
I don't know. I am simply pointing out that no one has yet proven the oft-repeated claim that Apple Maps is inferior.

The general "map" part of the app is certainly comparable in my own experience within the UK, both Apps get me from A to B with very few errors. But Apple Maps is next to useless when it comes to points of interest. Honestly, I know the USA is better off because Apple always prioritises their American customers over the rest of the world but people have come to want and expect a decent POI database in a maps Apple. Apple's iPhone built that expectation in the first place.

iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
iPad, Macbook Pro, iPhone, heck I even have iLife! :-)
Reply
post #23 of 114

I'll be honest, as I've used both Apple Maps and Google Maps now.

 

Apple Maps has performed flawlessly in my area.  Siri has been brilliant.  For example, when I ask Siri "Find the nearest Chick Fil A" she returns a list, beginning with the nearest, and I route from there.  Easy peasy.

 

So last weekend, my daughter wanted Chick Fil A (her fav, obviously) and I was in an area I don't know very well.  Thought I'd give Google Maps a go.  Typed in Chick Fil A, and it promptly tried to route me to a location 30 miles away.  Now in this area, you can't throw a rock without hitting a Chick Fil A, and we were on Interstate 75.  So I asked Siri and there was a location 3 miles away.

 

I'm not saying that in every situation Apple will be better.  I'll keep both to further compare, but Apple Maps is great for me.

post #24 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

And that's exactly the point. THERE IS NO EVIDENCE that Apple Maps is inferior. None. Nada. Zip.
There are some anecdotes (like the person complaining above about Apple listing some teriyaki restaurants), but there are also errors with Google Maps. So all the whining about how bad Apple Maps is has no basis in fact. It's just more of the common Internet phenomenon - the loud people get heard. Just like all the other 'gates' that people have been throwing out about Apple. Most of them were either completely fabricated or blown so far out of proportion as to lose any sense of reality.
In the end, both Apple Maps and Google Maps do the job most of the time.

How do we get evidence if the examples that are given are only useful within the scope of that single side-by-side comparison?

What about creating a thread on AI and devising a test to see where the faults reside? Some parameters could be to choose a country, a POI or address in a big city and rural area. When doing an address split between random named and numbered streets, and have some with more complex conventions like 'NW' in the name.

I'd say 20 tests across each service would be a good start.
  • 1 country
  • 4 POIs in different cities.
  • 4 POIs in different rural areas.
  • 4 simple numbered street addresses.
  • 4 simple named street addresses.
  • 4 complex street addresses.

Seems simple enough, but how do choose the addresses randomly around a country? I would use a mapping app but that defeats the purpose. I guess I could just find something and see if the other has it, but how do I know either is accurate? POIs are likely easier to conjure. I guess we could use family and friends in our address books but then we can't do screenshots or detail any shortcomings for reasons of privacy so we'll have to relay on the honesty of the posters who might want to join in.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #25 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


How to get evidence if the examples that are given are only useful within the scope of that one side-by-side comparison?
What about creating a thread on AI and devising a test to see where the faults reside? Some parameters could be to choose a country, a POI or address in a big city and rural area. When doing an address split between random named and numbered streets, and have some with more complex conventions like 'NW' in the name.
I'd say 20 tests across each service would be a good start.
  • 1 country
  • 4 POIs in different cities.
  • 4 POIs in different rural areas.
  • 4 simple numbered street addresses.
  • 4 simple named street addresses.
  • 4 complex street addresses.
Seems simple enough, but how do choose the addresses randomly around a country? I would use a mapping app but that defeats the purpose. I guess I could just find something and see if the other has it, but how do I know either is accurate? POIs are likely easier to conjure. I guess we could use family and friends in our address books but then we can't do screenshots or detail any shortcomings for reasons of privacy so we'll have to relay on the honesty of the posters who might want to join in.

Confirming accuracy of the data is one issue. Changes between versions of maps is another. Variations in quality between regions of the same country are another.  Even the time of year makes a difference. 

 

I've seen comparison attempts by GIS professional's that fail to prove one company's mapping is always better than someone else's. Throw in varied and changing collections of POI data sourced from multiple providers rather than the map provider itself and I see no way to get reliable results that prove anything beyond a specific case-use for a particular mapset for a particular time period. 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #26 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

None of them could be accused of being Google shills.

But you could.
post #27 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I'll be honest, as I've used both Apple Maps and Google Maps now.

Apple Maps has performed flawlessly in my area.  Siri has been brilliant.  For example, when I ask Siri "Find the nearest Chick Fil A" she returns a list, beginning with the nearest, and I route from there.  Easy peasy.

So last weekend, my daughter wanted Chick Fil A (her fav, obviously) and I was in an area I don't know very well.  Thought I'd give Google Maps a go.  Typed in Chick Fil A, and it promptly tried to route me to a location 30 miles away.  Now in this area, you can't throw a rock without hitting a Chick Fil A, and we were on Interstate 75.  So I asked Siri and there was a location 3 miles away.

I'm not saying that in every situation Apple will be better.  I'll keep both to further compare, but Apple Maps is great for me.

I'll have to try asking Siri to "Find the nearest Chik Fil A" instead of "find the nearest Jesus chicken that's never open on Sunday". Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
Reply
post #28 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post


But you could.

Well of course you could.... a lot of things are easy to say

 

Unless the truth matters to you at all. Some posters resort to personal and dishonest smear tactics when they're coming in on the short end of a disagreement. You wouldn't be one of those would you?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #29 of 114
****STOCK HOLDERS PLEASE READ. I have been a close Apple watcher and shareholder for many years. I hope that the readers on AI who are stock holders are not getting spooked and selling their shares. Apple stock is down because of bad economies and analyst-generated rumours. Apple is cunning and swift. They know what is happening in the market, and they know what their competition is doing. They just released a brand new product (the iPad Mini), and while it's not the revolution that the iPhone was, it's a huge seller in many more markets than the iPhone was when it was released. The iPad Mini is going to go on to sell in ridiculous volumes because it is far superior to the competition. At the end of the day remember it's not really a market share battle for Apple. People are saying that apple hasn't released a revolutionary product in a very long time. This just isn't true, and isn't something to worry about. Steve passed about just over a year ago. Apple had plenty of work to do. They had to minimize the worry in stockholders while implementing strategies to keep the company's spirit intact. Now that Tim has made executive changes, we are going to see many great things in the coming months and years. Keep in mind that Apple keeps everything they do under wraps. iPhone parts leak, but software, for the most part, does not. Apple has big things up its sleeve, and plenty of cash to make those things happen. We will see an Apple television. Remember this is only the beginning, just like the iPhone. It came out with minimal apps. Developers will do things with the Apple television that we have never even dreamed of before. There will also be many new software programs and updates in the future that will set Apple apart from its competitors. Apple server based services are just now starting to hit their stride. We haven't even begun to see what is possible with cloud computing. To wrap things up, Apple's customer base is growing at a faster pace than ever before, even though it may seem that their market share is dropping. This is just a result of the market they created, becoming the new standard. It is not eating away at their customer base, and definitely not at their profits. So my advice to stock holders is stay calm and carry on. Apple will recover to 700 a share. I believe they will even surpass that price once the hysteria from analysts blows over. Merry Christmas & happy holidays to AI & its readers!
post #30 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by saarek View Post

No, but Apple Maps does have far inferior points of interest data, especially outside of the USA.

That may or may not be true (in China, the opposite is apparently true), but the entire 'mapsgates' issue is not about points of interest. It's about the oft-repeated (but never proven) claim that Apple's directions and locations are far worse than Google's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There's no evidence Apple maps is inferior yet Tim Cook sends out an apology letter encouraging iOS customers to use competitor products. And in an interview with Brian Williams said "we screwed up" regarding maps. That's all the evidence I need.

Well, yes, if you completely misrepresent what Cook said, you can come to any conclusion you wish. But if you actually read what he said, it tells a different story.

1. Cook said that Apple's customers expected the best possible experience.
2. Cook admits that Maps did not meet the customers' expectations (which is, in reality, impossible if they expect the best possible experience).
3. Cook said that if you're not happy with Maps, there are alternatives.

In the Williams interview, Cook said:
"It [Maps] didn't meet our customers' expectation, and our expectations of ourselves are even higher than our customers'. However, I can tell you, so we screwed up."

In both the letter and the interview, there's absolutely nothing in Cook's comments that says that Maps was bad or defective. He simply stated that it failed to meet the customers' expectations of superlative features and performance. So, in essence, "we were not as much better as the competition as we usually are." Nothing in any of his statements supports your claim that it was a disaster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

So you've actually tried out both, given each a fair shake, or are you going by what others have said?

Of course. You see, unlike you, I talk about things I know rather than simply repeating the same FUD I read.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #31 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post


I'll have to try asking Siri to "Find the nearest Chik Fil A" instead of "find the nearest Jesus chicken that's never open on Sunday". Maybe that's what I'm doing wrong.

 

 

LOL!

 

Hey, I don't support their policies.  My kid just likes their chicken nuggets and they're (marginally) healthier than McDonald's.  When you have a picky 4 year old, you do what you gotta do.

 

Jesus chicken.  That did make me laugh.  But I'm an Agnostic heathen, so it's expected.

post #32 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macsavy View Post

****STOCK HOLDERS PLEASE READ. I have been a close Apple watcher and shareholder for many years. I hope that the readers on AI who are stock holders are not getting spooked and selling their shares. Apple stock is down because of bad economies and analyst-generated rumours.

etc. etc. etc. etc. etc.

So my advice to stock holders is stay calm and carry on. Apple will recover to 700 a share. I believe they will even surpass that price once the hysteria from analysts blows over. Merry Christmas & happy holidays to AI & its readers!

 

Har! This reminded me of one of those commercial breaks where a network is responding to allegations or ongoing litigation... the rolling text with the voice over reading the text.  1smile.gif

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #33 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post


LOL!

Hey, I don't support their policies.  My kid just likes their chicken nuggets and they're (marginally) healthier than McDonald's.  When you have a picky 4 year old, you do what you gotta do.

Jesus chicken.  That did make me laugh.  But I'm an Agnostic heathen, so it's expected.

If I chose what to buy based from company only after making sure I agreed with every religious view held by their employees I'd never buy anything. I think it's a foolish position for their CEO to take (and one that I think won't last for more than a couple years) but he has the right to make it and I am glad I live in a country where free speech is allowed, no matter how myopic and foolish I might think it is. Now if he was refusing to serve gays or going against the law when it comes to honouring same sex unions on their insurance that would be different, but he's not. We all have a right to our dumb opinions and everyone else has the right to comment on those dumb opinions.

I don't live anywhere near a Chik-fil-A but when I know I'll be driving by one I do make a point to hit the drive thru.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/20/12 at 11:07am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #34 of 114
I've been using both Apple and Google Maps and honestly can't say that one is more accurate than the other in my experience. Google definitely seems to have the advantage when it comes to POI data, but for directions I find them to be comparable. I much prefer the Apple Maps UI, however. I've never been a fan of Google's UI work. I'm all for minimalism, but I like a healthy dose of style with my minimalism and Google, like Microsoft, has no style.

I'm tired of all the recent Apple FUD. Apple Maps isn't perfect, but it's far from the disaster that the press and pundits would have you believe it to be. And the recent "Android is winning the smartphone war" BS is ridiculous. Marketshare is only one metric. Personally I'm interested in who is the most profitable, especially as an investor. When you consider the beating Apple's stock has taken recently, it should make everyone (Apple fan or not) leery of investing in the stock market in general. There's far too much manipulation happening.
post #35 of 114
They both have flaws. Google maps tells me there is a sprint store in a residential neighborhood. I have used apple maps and love it but have seen a few flaws in it as well that have been fixed already.
post #36 of 114

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 9:59am
post #37 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

The headline is pure click bait. Of course switching to Tom Tom Maps would "reduce reliance on google" but that is like announcing 6 - 3 was found to be 3.

 

Don't worry. I'll write to AppleInsider and every other publication and inform them not to write headlines that get people to read them. /sarcasm

 

Now, it is well-known that Apple is trying to reduce its reliance on Google as much as possible, so the headline is appropriate, because that's what the story is about, no?

post #38 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post You see, unlike you, I talk about things I know rather than simply repeating the same FUD I read.

Huh. . .

 

so what errors are you finding in your area of travel for either of them. How has the POI data compared between the two in your own search requests?

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #39 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Huh. . .

so what errors are you finding in your area of travel for either of them. How has the POI data compared between the two in your own search requests?

His point isn't that Google Maps is worse, it's that there is no empirical evidence that shows that one is, overall, better or worse than the other. He is quite right, it's all been very circumstantial and anecdotal. If you only took the rural areas of China Apple Maps will look like it's worlds better than Google Maps, according to all the tests I've seen.

That said, I think his position isn't a good one because the scope is too excessive and too difficult to accurately test that we must allow for a certain level of belief to be had. I feel the same way about religion. I will never say that anyone's religion is wrong (because people are entitled their beliefs) but the fact that it can't be tested means I also can't say their beliefs are inherently wrong (although some seem really stupid).

Maps certainly aren't as untestable as religion but in regards to technology it's pretty damn close. You need to have accurate points to compare against and that simply isn't going to happen as I stated previously. The best we have are a collective of people that will state whether a point on a map is accurate or not... and that info can be collective wrong or simply change.

Then we have to have enough points measured and then the value or the points weighted to make a final tally or which is better or worse. Does Street View count for any value for Google? For me it does, but for many on AI it clearly doesn't. Does a pin drop on a large POI that is placed in the center instead of at the entrance, like a park, count as accurate or inaccurate? If we say that it's inaccurate what if it's not on the entrance what if one has the pin drop in the center and the other has it on a location of the mailing address or the mail box that is only slightly off from the entrance? Are those weighted equally? Am I crazy for even asking these questions because I feel like I'm the only one who is doing it?
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/20/12 at 9:35am

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #40 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Huh. . .

so what errors are you finding in your area of travel for either of them. How has the POI data compared between the two in your own search requests?

I'm not the one making a claim about the accuracy. I'm simply pointing out that no one has provided evidence that Apple is worse. Since you (and others) are claiming that Apple Maps is a dismal failure, you have the burden of proof.

So where's the evidence to support the claim you keep making?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His point isn't that Google Maps is worse, it's that there is no empirical evidence that shows that one is, overall, better or worse than the other. He is quite right, it's all been very circumstantial and anecdotal. If you only took the rural areas of China Apple Maps will look like it's worlds better than Google Maps, according to all the tests I've seen.
That said, I think his position isn't a good one because the scope is too excessive and too difficult to accurately test that we must allow for a certain level of belief to be had.

I disagree. There have been a few people who have tried this in isolated areas and they invariably agree with my point. Each time that an effort has been made to sample a large number of sites in some region (I'm aware of Canada and San Francisco examples), the results are that the two systems have comparable accuracy. Now, those cases don't prove that Apple is as good, but they show that it's possible to do an area by choosing random locations and verifying the accuracy.

Once again, I don't need to prove that Apple is better - because I never made that claim. The people who keep claiming that Apple is worse have the burden of proof. That is especially true given two facts:
1. There have been plenty of 'gate' stories about Apple that turned out to be false or grossly distorted. It is clear that when something negative appears about Apple, it spreads very quickly - whether it's true or not.
2. The known fact that Google has paid shills frequenting forums to spread FUD against Apple.

Given those two facts, "there's lots of noise, so it must be true" isn't a reasonable argument.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Siri's reliance on Google cut in half with iOS 6