or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Siri's reliance on Google cut in half with iOS 6
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Siri's reliance on Google cut in half with iOS 6 - Page 2

post #41 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

I'm not the one making a claim about the accuracy. I'm simply pointing out that no one has provided evidence that Apple is worse. Since you ... are claiming that Apple Maps is a dismal failure, you have the burden of proof.

You're certainly one of those making false claims tho. Unless of course you have some evidence to show where I've said that Apple maps data is a failure. I'd even accept any claim I've made that Apple's maps are lacking in any way.  

 

But you don't have any example since you were making it up to begin with. I've come to accept that as normal from you if you don't like the direction the argument is taking. 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #42 of 114

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 9:58am
post #43 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjt View Post

Jragosta, Why are you so angry? If you like Apple maps, just use it. You dont need analysts and tech bloggers to agree before you use it. If Apple feels that they are being unfairly attacked, they'll defend it (or apologize as appropriate). It is quite funny how you are upset about something you dont need to be! It is all a choice, those who like will use Apple maps (will be the only one well integrated) or they'll use something else. Apple is quite happy where they are and consumers are still buying apple devices. So, why worry!!

You start. Why are you posting here?

Personally, I'm sick and tired of people who tell incessant lies about Apple. It has hurt Apple's stock price. And, particularly in the 90's, I had to listen to unending attacks from people who couldn't stand that I used a different computer than them.

If you don't like my comments, don't read them.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #44 of 114
Originally Posted by sanjt View Post
(Is there a way to ignore?, as you know I am new :)

 

Under each user's name, there is an option to do just that. It's reversible at any time.

 

1000

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #45 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

2. The known fact that Google has paid shills frequenting forums to spread FUD against Apple.

It's possible, but I've not seen any proof of that.
post #46 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjt View Post

Ah... why? you own this place? I shouldn't post here unless I support your views!! 
OK, deal! I wont read your comments now on! (Is there a way to ignore?, as you know I am new 1smile.gif I expect fellow fanbois to be rational!! But, one'll find all kinds in a box!!

You're the one who started with personal attacks against me and acted as though I were not entitled to my opinions. If you don't like what I post, there's no need for personal attacks - you just don't have to read my posts.

So stop your whining.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #47 of 114

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 9:58am
post #48 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Well of course you could.... a lot of things are easy to say

 

Unless the truth matters to you at all. Some posters resort to personal and dishonest smear tactics when they're coming in on the short end of a disagreement. You wouldn't be one of those would you?

 

Oh, the irony.

post #49 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Opinions are one thing, but there are apparently some here who believe that every claim of fact made in a forum post must be rigorously defended with adequate and authoritative sources.

That's why I don't claim things I can't defend. 

melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
melior diabolus quem scies
Reply
post #50 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


You're the one who started with personal attacks against me and acted as though I were not entitled to my opinions. If you don't like what I post, there's no need for personal attacks - you just don't have to read my posts.
So stop your whining.


Personal attacks?

 

OFFS!  1rolleyes.gif

 

Welcome to AI...

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #51 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

This is where we might expect ankleskater, stelligent, or anonymouse to voice their requirements for citations in forum posts, but it seems they're busy or missed your post so in their absence kindly allow me:

 

Where has it been documented (and please keep in mind that ankleskater will only accept "an authoritative citation") that Google pays people to post FUD in forums?

 

Thanks in advance on their behalf.

 

This ought to be obvious, but, the level of proof required depends on the claims being made.

 

For example, a general claim that Google Maps is better than Apple Maps, requires some objective evidence to support the assertion. So far, no one has offered anything but anecdotal evidence involving tiny data sets.

 

A claim that one prefers Google Maps because one has had better luck with it in one's are, a) isn't an overreaching claim and b) is an expression of preference, and thus, a few local examples suffice to illustrate one's point.

 

The problem with the arguments asserting the overall superiority of Google Maps are twofold. First, due to publicity, including faked up examples from Google itself, people are actively looking for any error they can find in Apple Maps to jump on the me too bandwagon. Google Maps isn't receiving the same scrutiny, so these reports tend to be one-sided, thus invalidating them as evidence of actual superiority because of inherent bias in the data. Secondly, the only reasonably objective study that I'm aware of, a link to which has been posted in these forums multiple times, Google doesn't show any sort of advantage of rate of accuracy. The primary difference found between them was that Apple Maps won't return a result if it doesn't find one that makes sense contextually, whereas Google Maps will almost always return a result, no matter how fantastic it is.

 

If you are going to make generalized claims, you ought to be able to point to properly supporting data, not data that is inherently biased and at most supports claims of specific locale and personal preference. A Chinese forum might be claiming that Apple Maps is far superior to Google Maps in all respects, based on their local experience, but that wouldn't support a generalized claim either.

 

 

Lastly, regarding the existence of Google astroturfers and shills, as opposed to simply Android enthusiasts and trolls who don't really give a damn but adopt the Android position here simply because it's an Apple-centric forum, it is well known that Google spends a significant amount of money on lobbying of all sorts and that they go to great lengths to shape public perception on issues that affect them. Furthermore, it is also known that they frequently hire third party PR firms to astroturf for them (see Google Chrome PR scandal). These facts, combined with the company's history of dishonesty, deception, and other questionable or illegal business practices, would require someone not to be entirely naive to not suspect the presence of paid Google shills on many Internet forums. And they certainly wouldn't be the first company to do this, it's a common practice. When you then see individuals engaged in behavior that smells like shilling, it's not unreasonable to conclude that they might be a shill. When that behavior is repeated over many months, it reinforces that conclusion. You can insist that we show their W-2s or bank statements as proof, but we all know that isn't going to happen. So, we can either pretend they aren't shills, or we can trust our inferences. It's entirely, and most, reasonable to do the latter.

 

And, fyi, I don't think you are a paid shill, mainly because you aren't good enough to be a paid shill. You're either simply an enthusiast or a troll, and I haven't decided which.

post #52 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

That's why I don't claim things I can't defend. 

 

More irony.

 

 

Although, in fairness, the things he can't defend, lately, when he starts to get called on them, he claims they were just opinions.

post #53 of 114

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 9:58am
post #54 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

i live in illinois, i wouldnt even know there was a problem with apple maps if the media wasnt shoving it down my throat, i like it, it looks nice its never lead me wrong, and while muli tasking it turns the status bar into directions that update live, googles ad riddled maps does not do that

That is because you have actually used it. I highly doubt that these pundits have every actually used Apple maps to get somewhere new, if they had they would have found it to be very useful. My suspicions are that they expect a maps app to hold their hands for everything but navigation needs.

There is also this reality that the pundits need to demonstrate indepence so they pick on an app that has gotten bad reviews from time to time.
post #55 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfisher View Post



I searched the other day for Chinese restaurants in my area. Apple Maps brought up Chinese AND teriyaki places.

Hello?

And if they rely on Foursquare to augment their data, God help Apple. I tried out Foursquare and it is sadly incomplete and a bit of a joke.

Google Maps (Apple app with Google data) has been my go-to app for years. It's very reliable. And transit information? Traffic information? It's great.

(Apple user 32 years)

Searching for restaurants has nothing to do with what a maps app should be. For that you have Siri or the web.

This is the problem with many people they are using the wrong app for the functionality they want.
post #56 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


If I chose what to buy based from company only after making sure I agreed with every religious view held by their employees I'd never buy anything. I think it's a foolish position for their CEO to take (and one that I think won't last for more than a couple years) but he has the right to make it and I am glad I live in a country where free speech is allowed, no matter how myopic and foolish I might think it is. Now if he was refusing to serve gays or going against the law when it comes to honouring same sex unions on their insurance that would be different, but he's not. We all have a right to our dumb opinions and everyone else has the right to comment on those dumb opinions.

I don't live anywhere near a Chik-fil-A but when I know I'll be driving by one I do make a point to hit the drive thru.

I'm not religious at all but frankly I'm glad this guy took a stand against gay marriage. The problem isn't one of religious morality but the morality of giving people with mental defects privileges they don't deserve. Obviously one can't change the circumstances of their birth but society shouldn't be allowing such people to express themselves any damn way they please.
post #57 of 114

SO. SIRI, THEN.lol.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #58 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


How about something more than your opinion? So far, no one has provided evidence that Apple Maps returns incorrect information more frequently than Google Maps. This is just one of those things that people start believing when it's repeated often enough.
Interestingly, they did think it was important to provide data on the Siri v Google Now issue. So why not provide data on Apple Maps v Google Maps?

Well, there is a systematic 'bug' in Apple map that it cannot find addresses where words like 'Street' or 'Road' are abbreviated (it just ignores any street information and just finds the city). I don't know how many languages and countries are affected by this, but in countries where this bug shows up, Apple maps is objectively worse than Google maps, simply because abbreviated addresses are used in so many use cases.

post #59 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

 
Searching for restaurants has nothing to do with what a maps app should be. For that you have Siri or the web.

This is the problem with many people they are using the wrong app for the functionality they want.

Me: Siri please find any Peruvian style restaurants near me.

 

Siri: Sorry M..., I cannot look for restaurants in Peru. (BTW I am not anywhere close to Peru)

 

 

However when searching on Google maps for Peruvian restaurants it finds and plots all of them correctly on the map for my Central American town.

 

Finding restaurants seems like a reasonable thing to expect a map to do since you already have it open to explore your new location.

 

The map I posted earlier clearly shows that Apple and Siri know nothing about my city of 30,000 people which was established 102 years ago and is home to more than 2,500 American residents and is famous as a tourist destination. If Apple can't even find the city I doubt they would be much help finding a restaurant.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #60 of 114
One thing this thread highlights is that Apples approach to solving problems is different than Googles. When you search for a POI with Siri you aren't using maps, Siri might return a map but maps isn't the app doing the search. Frankly this is a far smarter approach than using Google maps as it allows Apple maps to be focused on maps and navigation which it does very well. I really don't know why somebody would reach for a maps app in the first place if they where looking for restaurants, that is the function of a web browser. In any event what gets returned in a search is highly dependent upon how you ask the question so any complaints about search results should first start with a look in the mirror.

This issue with search results really has nothing to do with any of the maps apps. Anybody that has spent even a few moments of time tracking down info on Google should grasp how important it is to get your phrasing right. So by this measure any discussion about a maps ability to search is bogus to some extent. Why? Because of the human factor combined with the apps search engines need to guess a bit at what you want. Beyond that no database is ever perfect.
post #61 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm not religious at all but frankly I'm glad this guy took a stand against gay marriage. The problem isn't one of religious morality but the morality of giving people with mental defects privileges they don't deserve. Obviously one can't change the circumstances of their birth but society shouldn't be allowing such people to express themselves any damn way they please.

Dude, that's just fucked up!

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #62 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


What part of "facts" do you not understand? An opinion that is repeated 10,000 times is still an opinion.
Apple Maps has x errors.
Google Maps has y errors.
Let me know when you have evidence that x is significantly greater than y. So far, no one has provided any.
I don't know. I am simply pointing out that no one has yet proven the oft-repeated claim that Apple Maps is inferior.

If we have two dozen mainstream reviewers (ie, excluding those who just write a 'review' when they have something unexpected to report) all report that Google maps has noticeably more POI in their searches than this is something very likely to be true for geographical areas they covered.

post #63 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

One thing this thread highlights is that Apples approach to solving problems is different than Googles. When you search for a POI with Siri you aren't using maps, Siri might return a map but maps isn't the app doing the search. Frankly this is a far smarter approach than using Google maps as it allows Apple maps to be focused on maps and navigation which it does very well. I really don't know why somebody would reach for a maps app in the first place if they where looking for restaurants, that is the function of a web browser. In any event what gets returned in a search is highly dependent upon how you ask the question so any complaints about search results should first start with a look in the mirror.

This issue with search results really has nothing to do with any of the maps apps. Anybody that has spent even a few moments of time tracking down info on Google should grasp how important it is to get your phrasing right. So by this measure any discussion about a maps ability to search is bogus to some extent. Why? Because of the human factor combined with the apps search engines need to guess a bit at what you want. Beyond that no database is ever perfect.

Yet when iPhone first came out finding restaurants on the map was one of the highlighted features used in TV ads and it used to work very well. Now you say it should not be used for such. Hmm? Search and maps are very much intertwined and that is why Google Maps' data provides such rich POI information worldwide.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #64 of 114

(click image for full size view)

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #65 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

In my brief review of the search results for the term you suggested, "Google Chrome PR scandal", I found reference only to paid bloggers and inappropriate positioning of Chrome among search results, but I missed any source that provide proof of the specific claim you're defending here, that Google pays people to troll forums.

 

Google uses astroturfing campaigns. We know this. the got caught trying to promote Chrome that way. I think that is all the proof we need to know that they use this technique to control PR. Frankly, it's a bit silly, given everything else we know about Google, to think it stops there. It's an entirely reasonable conclusion that they pay shills to post here, and any number of other sites. There are posters here, given that entirely reasonable conclusion, who, given their style, their content, the topics they post on, and so on, it's entirely reasonable to conclude they are part of this astroturfing PR machine.

 

You aren't one of them, though, so relax. 

post #66 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Me: Siri please find any Peruvian style restaurants near me.

Siri: Sorry M..., I cannot look for restaurants in Peru. (BTW I am not anywhere close to Peru)
Works for me. Simply ask Siri to look for a Peruvian style restaurant! It found one in Buffalo NY (bit of a drive) within seconds. Are you certain you asked for Peruvian "style" restaurants?
Quote:

However when searching on Google maps for Peruvian restaurants it finds and plots all of them correctly on the map for my Central American town.
Would you not be better off searching for Peruvian restaurants via a web browser where upon you could do a deeper inspection of offerings. For me the last thing I'm worried about with respect to a restaurant is where it is located (with in reason). Personally my tastes are more Thai but still if I'm looking for a restaurant I want to be able to compare them a bit.
Quote:
Finding restaurants seems like a reasonable thing to expect a map to do since you already have it open to explore your new location.
It has nothing to do with what a maps app should be doing for you. Looking for a restaurant is a searching function. Maybe my approach to this is different due to different biases so let's step away from restaurants for a bit. Let's say you are looking for a part, say a ball bearing for a tractor, skate board or whatever, is it realistic to pick up a maps app to chase down something like this or does it make more sense to use the web? More so do you map out the business in question before you even call them to see if they have any in stock? For me a maps app is the last place I'd go in the chain of events leading up to doing business. Finding a restaurant isn't much different, the last thing I'd worry about is directions.
Quote:
The map I posted earlier clearly shows that Apple and Siri know nothing about my city of 30,000 people which was established 102 years ago and is home to more than 2,500 American residents and is famous as a tourist destination. If Apple can't even find the city I doubt they would be much help finding a restaurant.
Are you sure the problem is with Siri and not the user? I'm not trying to be a pain here at all but the issue you indicated with finding Peruvian restaurants doesn't exist. Siri returned an answer for me even if the resultant is an hour or more away. You may argue that it should find a closer restaurant which frankly I don't even know if such exists. However who's responsibility is it to make sure their restaurants are properly listed in the relevant databases? It certainly isn't Apples. Just because you can put fingers to keyboard and blame Apple doesn't mean your comment is valid.
post #67 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Google uses astroturfing campaigns. We know this. the got caught trying to promote Chrome that way. I think that is all the proof we need to know that they use this technique to control PR. Frankly, it's a bit silly, given everything else we know about Google, to think it stops there. It's an entirely reasonable conclusion that they pay shills to post here, and any number of other sites. There are posters here, given that entirely reasonable conclusion, who, given their style, their content, the topics they post on, and so on, it's entirely reasonable to conclude they are part of this astroturfing PR machine.

 

You aren't one of them, though, so relax. 

I would argue that likewise in Washington there is a lot of political corruption when it comes to military contracts and lobbying but when defense is really important which army are you going to depend on? Same with Google. They may be less than ethical in many respects but when you need really fast and accurate search results and time is of the essence, which search engine are you going to depend on? I hear some radical Republicans saying they are considering denouncing their US citizenship just because Obama was reelected. A few people will choose to boycott Google and use an inferior search engine just because Google copied iOS. To each their own, I still rely solely on Google for search and maps and Apple for pretty much everything else. 

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #68 of 114
Apple vs. Google maps is all based on what maps each have acquired. Google -- from what I've heard -- has invested over $4 billion and many years. Apple has invested a very small fraction of that and played catchup in a year. I've heard that in China -- the Apple's maps rock. So it's all very location specific, so you are going to get a lot of anecdotes. What happens is if the media points something out, people say; "Yeah, I remember getting bad restaurants in San Fran." A real analysis would have to take dozens if not hundreds of locations and random sample the data. My guess is that for MOST places, Google maps will be better -- it's just they've had more time to correct mistakes and probably didn't give that info to anyone else. Apple had to run their own Map device, because Point of Interest is the future of advertising and capitalizing on maps -- it's the future "must have" capability, and Apple couldn't let Google own the golden app on it's platform as we all know it would run flawlessly on Android and have a "Microsoft like" experience on iOS. Google, as they should, wanted to charge for turn-by-turn, and that's a selling point for a phone these days -- so whether Apple wanted to or not, they had to get into mapping. The simple fact that Apple has an alternative, means that Google Maps will compete to run great on the iOS -- the consumer wins. You can have BOTH and use them. They will probably close the distance on quality over time, and it will be neck and neck for years. So it doesn't matter that much which one is better.
post #69 of 114

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 10:05am
post #70 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Me: Siri please find any Peruvian style restaurants near me.

Siri: Sorry M..., I cannot look for restaurants in Peru. (BTW I am not anywhere close to Peru)
Works for me. Simply ask Siri to look for a Peruvian style restaurant! It found one in Buffalo NY (bit of a drive) within seconds. Are you certain you asked for Peruvian "style" restaurants?
Quote:

However when searching on Google maps for Peruvian restaurants it finds and plots all of them correctly on the map for my Central American town.
Would you not be better off searching for Peruvian restaurants via a web browser where upon you could do a deeper inspection of offerings. For me the last thing I'm worried about with respect to a restaurant is where it is located (with in reason). Personally my tastes are more Thai but still if I'm looking for a restaurant I want to be able to compare them a bit.
Quote:
Finding restaurants seems like a reasonable thing to expect a map to do since you already have it open to explore your new location.
It has nothing to do with what a maps app should be doing for you. Looking for a restaurant is a searching function. Maybe my approach to this is different due to different biases so let's step away from restaurants for a bit. Let's say you are looking for a part, say a ball bearing for a tractor, skate board or whatever, is it realistic to pick up a maps app to chase down something like this or does it make more sense to use the web? More so do you map out the business in question before you even call them to see if they have any in stock? For me a maps app is the last place I'd go in the chain of events leading up to doing business. Finding a restaurant isn't much different, the last thing I'd worry about is directions.
Quote:
The map I posted earlier clearly shows that Apple and Siri know nothing about my city of 30,000 people which was established 102 years ago and is home to more than 2,500 American residents and is famous as a tourist destination. If Apple can't even find the city I doubt they would be much help finding a restaurant.
Are you sure the problem is with Siri and not the user? I'm not trying to be a pain here at all but the issue you indicated with finding Peruvian restaurants doesn't exist. Siri returned an answer for me even if the resultant is an hour or more away. You may argue that it should find a closer restaurant which frankly I don't even know if such exists. However who's responsibility is it to make sure their restaurants are properly listed in the relevant databases? It certainly isn't Apples. Just because you can put fingers to keyboard and blame Apple doesn't mean your comment is valid.

Dude you clearly missed the point. I asked Siri to find one near me, hence maps and location are involved in the search. There exist three at least in my town. She bailed entirely because I am not in the US. Google doesn't care where I am. If they have the data they display it which is what I want maps to do. Google gets it Apple not so much.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #71 of 114
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post
The Ragosta claim you were defending was specifically about paying people to post in forums.  Your post in this tiny corner of the Internet isn't proof of that, or even evidence.

 

Overall, here, or a specific type of post here?

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #72 of 114

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 10:07am
post #73 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

One thing this thread highlights is that Apples approach to solving problems is different than Googles. When you search for a POI with Siri you aren't using maps, Siri might return a map but maps isn't the app doing the search. Frankly this is a far smarter approach than using Google maps as it allows Apple maps to be focused on maps and navigation which it does very well. I really don't know why somebody would reach for a maps app in the first place if they where looking for restaurants, that is the function of a web browser. In any event what gets returned in a search is highly dependent upon how you ask the question so any complaints about search results should first start with a look in the mirror.


This issue with search results really has nothing to do with any of the maps apps. Anybody that has spent even a few moments of time tracking down info on Google should grasp how important it is to get your phrasing right. So by this measure any discussion about a maps ability to search is bogus to some extent. Why? Because of the human factor combined with the apps search engines need to guess a bit at what you want. Beyond that no database is ever perfect.
Yet when iPhone first came out finding restaurants on the map was one of the highlighted features used in TV ads and it used to work very well. Now you say it should not be used for such. Hmm? Search and maps are very much intertwined and that is why Google Maps' data provides such rich POI information worldwide.

Systems evolve! Today it would make more sense to fire up Siri to do the searching for you. I've actually been playing with this a bit since responding to the quote about Peruvian restaurants and it works very well. Of course search and maps are intertwined, they just don't need to be the same app. The problem with searches from maps is that you get a trivial amount of information so it isn't really useful unless you are looking for chain restaurants or known establishments. If you are looking for a new experience you still need to revert to a web browser to get the details.

In the end I just don't see search in a maps app as being anything more than a rudimentary service. There really is no point in rolling in a full browser into maps type apps because tablets and cell phones already come with very good web browsers. In any event maps are the last thing I'd worry about when looking for a restaurant, like I've pointed out before selecting the restaurant and making reservations comes before even thinking about how to get there. At that point all I really need for maps to do is to route me to an address.

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, but if I'm going to the trouble of searching for a new restaurant I'm simply not going to go to the closest one that maps pops up. Shocking as it may be I will take some time to choose and maybe even get additional input if you know what I mean. Search in maps doesn't do it for me, not when looking for something new. If I'm looking for something old or well known then obviously maps aren't needed.

Beyond all of that no one has proven that Google does a better job searching for restaurants than Apple. In fact many examples have been posted indicating that Apple & Yelp are doing a better job. Beyond all of that if your favorite restaurant doesn't show up in an search on Apples system who's fault is that? I think this is what teaks me more than anything is that people blame Apple for their favorite restaurants not taking care of their advertising and promotion activities. Sorry folks but it isn't Apples responsibility to get a restaurant properly listed on Yelp.
post #74 of 114

I just mean that we have indeed had posts by people paid by their companies to laud their own products before.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #75 of 114

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 3/15/13 at 10:07am
post #76 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I just mean that we have indeed had posts by people paid by their companies to laud their own products before.

I'm sure it happens. I've not seen anything that clearly says Google does that here. I don't like seeing such an accusation without proof because that's the first stage of how heresay becomes established fact.

I know of two cases where an employee of a given company posted here, but I don't think they were necessarily paid to do so.
post #77 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I don't know, maybe I'm getting old, but if I'm going to the trouble of searching for a new restaurant I'm simply not going to go to the closest one that maps pops up. Shocking as it may be I will take some time to choose and maybe even get additional input if you know what I mean. Search in maps doesn't do it for me, not when looking for something new. If I'm looking for something old or well known then obviously maps aren't needed.

See that is the advantage that Google offers. The POI has a link so you can go to the web and even read reviews right in the map app. If Apple doesn't even offer a relationship between the POI or web link you are stuck shuffling back and forth between two applications. And since your are advocating web search you are back to Google anyway. The reason Siri would not find a restaurant for me is that the closest Peruvian restaurant she likely knows about is in Los Angeles California which is a 6 hour flight from here, so rather than tell me that which would be embarrassing to say the least, she just makes up some bull shit that she can't search for restaurants in Peru.

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply

Life is too short to drink bad coffee.

Reply
post #78 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Dude you clearly missed the point.
I don't think so, my comments are very clearly based on what you posted.
Quote:
I asked Siri to find one near me, hence maps and location are involved in the search.
Not at all! I'm afraid you don't understand technology, maps has nothing to do with the search. Obviously your location on planet earth is important but that also has nothing to do with maps. Apple is working with Yelp to find these particular points of interest, it is only after finding such that they worry about mapping.
Quote:
There exist three at least in my town. She bailed entirely because I am not in the US.
That isn't what was indicated in your post. Your post indicated that Siri isn't setup to search for things in Peru. That is no big surprise.
Quote:
Google doesn't care where I am. If they have the data they display it which is what I want maps to do. Google gets it Apple not so much.
So Apple didn't have data and didn't display it, which by the way is what Google would have done if they didn't have data. So it again comes down to this does Apple work with a company similar to Yelp in your country or Yelp itself? If not then you are out of luck. If so then why aren't the restaurants listed with that service provider; don't try to tell me its Apples fault because it isn't.
post #79 of 114
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post
I've not seen anything that clearly says Google does that here. I don't like seeing such an accusation without proof because that's the first stage of how heresay becomes established fact.

 

Right, neither have I, and I agree with you on providing proof.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #80 of 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm not religious at all but frankly I'm glad this guy took a stand against gay marriage. The problem isn't one of religious morality but the morality of giving people with mental defects privileges they don't deserve. Obviously one can't change the circumstances of their birth but society shouldn't be allowing such people to express themselves any damn way they please.

The great thing about posts like that is no matter what else goes on here, no matter how heated the arguments, no matter how bitter the divisiveness, a gem like that comes along, from such a distant point in history and so disconnected from the world we live in, that for this one brief moment we can all be united in asking, WTF?
It isn't a gem, it is the result of science. Research by the way carried out by a gay guy who found anomalies in certain structures in the brains of gay men. Frankly this should not come as a surprise to anyone gay or straight that there are differences between homosexual men and straight and that these differences are determined before birth. In fact it is very disconnected not to acknowledge this as fact, nor the reality of many other illnesses of the brain that are realized at conception or before birth. Some of those illnesses are a lot worst than homosexuality as far as the damage they do to society.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Siri's reliance on Google cut in half with iOS 6