or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 launch propels Apple to 53% of US smartphone sales

iPhone 5 launch propels Apple to 53% of US smartphone sales

post #1 of 87
The debut of the iPhone 5 sent Apple soaring to its highest share of sales the U.S. smartphone market ever, according to new data.

Market share

Kantar Worldpanel published its latest research on Friday, showing that Apple took 53.3 percent of smartphone sales in the U.S. over the last 12 weeks. That span includes the launch of the iPhone 5, which was the strongest start ever for an Apple handset.

Apple's gains were Android's losses, as Google's platform ? available on a range of devices from multiple manufacturers ? saw its share drop 10.9 percentage points year over year. Apple, meanwhile, surged, taking 17.5 percentage points more than in 2011

"Apple has reached a major milestone in the US by passing the 50 percent share mark for the first time, with further gains expected to be made during December," said Dominic Sunnebo, global consumer insight director at Kantar Worldpanel ComTech.

Research in Motion continued its fall, plummeting another 5.6 percentage points to take just 1.4 percent of U.S. smartphone market sales. Microsoft saw a slight gain, growing its Windows Phone sales 0.6 percentage points to 2.7 percent.

Outside of America, Samsung remained the top smartphone maker in Europe's five largest countries, taking a 44.3 percent share over the three-month span. Apple was in second with 25.3 percent of sales during the 12-week period.
post #2 of 87
Go Apple.
Today the US, tomorrow the Universe.
Yes. That's right. USS Enterprise communicators will run iOS X.
post #3 of 87

iPhone 5 launch plummets Apple stock to 53% of its earlier value

Fixed.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #4 of 87
South Europe, Latin America, and Eastern Europe are all looking ugly. Not sure why Cook does not understand that cheap customers today locked into Apple ecosystem would be his lucrative customers in future. And almost everyone buying cheap WP and Android today is likely lost by Apple for very long time.

P.S. link to the full stats:
http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/dwl.php?sn=news_downloads&id=111
post #5 of 87
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post
And almost everyone buying cheap WP and Android today is likely lost by Apple for very long time.

Two years (or less) of torture and adequacy, and then they move on. 

post #6 of 87
who cares buy what you want bozo
post #7 of 87

Denial from fAndroid users in ... 3 ... 2 ...1

It's easy to say "But Android is outselling Apple" .. when almost-featureless phones are being given away on contract.

In the UK you can get a Samsung Galaxy 3 phone for free on a 24  month contract (£26/month). Question is, what will the phones monetary value be at the end of the contract? If you ask nicely you can get an iPhone 5 (16gb) for about the same if you're renewing contract.

As for the crap android handsets, dont expect software to work, or any upgrades or even security fixes, the carriers dont care about them, nor do the manufacturers

post #8 of 87

But Android . . . winning . . . etc. 

?

post #9 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

South Europe, Latin America, and Eastern Europe are all looking ugly. Not sure why Cook does not understand that cheap customers today locked into Apple ecosystem would be his lucrative customers in future. And almost everyone buying cheap WP and Android today is likely lost by Apple for very long time.
P.S. link to the full stats:
http://www.kantarworldpanel.com/dwl.php?sn=news_downloads&id=111

True. And all the customers, if locked in, continue to buy within the ecosystem. So even a customer who always buys cheap will spend money on iTunes etc. forever.

I mean I am totally locked in and the new iTunes makes that even better. Everything is there now. In the cloud or not. All visible.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
I wanted dsadsa bit it was taken.
post #10 of 87

2 things:

- Apple would sell more devices if they had another model with a larger screen;

- They need to make more(and more effective) ads for their products. Stupid people are thinking their phones are the best because they are quadcore and have bigger screens.

I'm not kidding, the majority believes that a galaxy phone is the best phone, despite the fact that this makes the majority stupid and irrational people.

If I say to someone that has bought a galaxy S3 that only someone stupid and ignorant would buy that phone... am I offending him, despite the fact that i'm only stating facts and have science/physics/comomn sense to back me up? 

post #11 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

2 things:

- They need to make more(and more effective) ads for their products. Stupid people are thinking their phones are the best because they are quadcore and have bigger screens.

I'm not kidding, the majority believes that a galaxy phone is the best phone, despite the fact that this makes the majority stupid and irrational people.

If I say to someone that has bought a galaxy S3 that only someone stupid and ignorant would buy that phone... am I offending him, despite the fact that i'm only stating facts and have science/physics/comomn sense to back me up? 

We saw it with Mac/Windows in the 90s... you can't fix stupid.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #12 of 87
Quote:

2 things:

It doesn't help Apple's cause to insult others in such a crass way. I'm on your side with Apple. But kindness in all things is best. It's certainly not worth creating conflict and ill-feelings just so you can speak your mind without any kind of social filter.

post #13 of 87

I'm not kidding, the majority believes that a galaxy phone is the best phone…

Then why isn't it rated the best by anyone?

post #14 of 87

Much as I would love to believe this report, I find it unlikely when every other report recently has shown Apple on a market share decline, this appears out of place.

If it is true, then excellent, but I'd like to see some hard backing facts.

post #15 of 87
post #16 of 87

You ought to update your document with better spacing.

post #17 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You ought to update your document with better spacing.

Done. Thank you.  :)

post #18 of 87
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post
Done. Thank you.  :)

Oh! You edited. Must have been doing that while I was editing. I meant cut the lines in between the links and maybe do the images at the middle size setting. That way you can get them both on one line without breaking the horizontal formatting.

post #19 of 87
First and foremost, this stat is for this specific 12 week period.
Second point, it really doesn't matter what the percentages are. Even if all Android handsets, were outselling all iPhones 10-1, developers would still be looking to the App store first, to sell their apps. It's been proven time after time, that iOS users, are actually paying for their apps and that's where they are more likely to make any money. This is significant for all the Apple doomsayers out there, since it guarantees iOS users future development in their favorite eco-system.
Finally, iOS users are the ones actually connecting their devices to the internet and actually using them to do things. This also has been reported repeatedly. Despite Android's marketshare numbers, Google wasn't going to ignore iOS for maps, or any other of their apps, despite Eric Schmitz's ramblings.
All this to say that units shipped/sold is a far less important statistic to Apple than any other manufacturer out there.

But in the end, it does feel good once in a while to hear news like this.
post #20 of 87

Just like how we can't fix hubris and arrogance.

post #21 of 87
Quote:

Oh! You edited. Must have been doing that while I was editing. I meant cut the lines in between the links and maybe do the images at the middle size setting. That way you can get them both on one line without breaking the horizontal formatting.

Please see above, Tallest. Is that more along the lines of what you were talking about?

post #22 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy2shoes View Post

Just like how we can't fix hubris and arrogance.

Actually hubris and arrogance can be fixed.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #23 of 87
Please see above, Tallest. Is that more along the lines of what you were talking about?

Lovely! That's it, thanks! Less vertical space taken, less scrolling, just as readable.

I sort of wish that we could set aside pre-made posts, you know? That way you wouldn't have to deal with the image uploading box every time you want to post that. Just click a radio button and the post content auto-fills. I can see how some wouldn't like that, as someone could just spam huge blocks of text over and over, or how reposting content identically detracts from the humanity of the conversation, but that could easily be handled.

I'd just use my presets for reaction images. lol.gif

post #24 of 87
Quote:

2 things:

- Apple would sell more phones if they tailored each one to exactly what the customer wanted.

- Apple would sell more phones if they sold them for a penny.

...so why aren't they doing those?

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #25 of 87
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
- Apple would sell more phones if they tailored each one to exactly what the customer wanted.
- Apple would sell more phones if they sold them for a penny.

- Apple could make more phones if they used child labor.

- Apple could make more phones if they used their 100 billion to invade and occupy a country, turning its people into slave laborers.

Now I'm giving Samsung ideas.

post #26 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Actually hubris and arrogance can be fixed.

Yeah, in the same way we can "fix" dogs and cats...  1smoking.gif

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #27 of 87
iPhone is quality, Apple is quality yet people don't usually use to think that, other devices sell to those who want that feature, yet if someone did a survey if someone offers a free iPhone 5 would they want it, nearly everyone would say yes, those who don't probably only pearly green, only American made, anti electronic, who can not use it (mostly).
post #28 of 87
Quote:

You're not kidding, but you're also wrong. 

Where the rubber meets the road (every year):

[snip]

[...] Apple has consistenly topped rankings of this kind for every iPhone that has ever existed, for every single year of the product's existence.

It's important to note that customer satisfaction surveys report only the observations of those who have already chosen a phone. They don't tell us anything about the perceptions of the POTENTIAL buyer who is still shopping.

post #29 of 87
Quote:

USD $12 bn buys a lot of advertising and marketing.

Additionally, many Samsung proponents are willing to do just about anything:
  • Post naked pictures of men in non-NSWF forums about Apple
  • Lie about Samsung products like many on this forum
  • Lie about Apple products like many on this forum
post #30 of 87
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
Additionally, many Samsung proponents are willing to do just about anything:
  • Post naked pictures of men in non-NSWF forums about Apple

I'm onto your game. You want me to ask about this. It's way too specific to not have happened, so it must be true. But I'm not gonna. I'm just gonna acknowledge that it's here because it wants to be asked about.

post #31 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

It's important to note that customer satisfaction surveys report only the observations of those who have already chosen a phone. They don't tell us anything about the perceptions of the POTENTIAL buyer who is still shopping.

Correct, although other surveys can provide information about intent to buy.
post #32 of 87
Quote:

I'm onto your game. You want me to ask about this. It's way too specific to not have happened, so it must be true. But I'm not gonna. I'm just gonna acknowledge that it's here because it wants to be asked about.

I am not creative enough to think of something like that (You have been warned).

Oh, when they don't post such garbage directly in the thread they create legitimate appearing links to Mat Battle (no links, Yahoo! the website on your own).

Frankly, such tactics beg the question of Android users' preferences.
post #33 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

Yeah, in the same way we can "fix" dogs and cats...  1smoking.gif

That actually works quite well with stupid, too. 1tongue.gif

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #34 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDBA View Post

First and foremost, this stat is for this specific 12 week period.
Second point, it really doesn't matter what the percentages are. Even if all Android handsets, were outselling all iPhones 10-1, developers would still be looking to the App store first, to sell their apps. It's been proven time after time, that iOS users, are actually paying for their apps and that's where they are more likely to make any money. This is significant for all the Apple doomsayers out there, since it guarantees iOS users future development in their favorite eco-system.
Finally, iOS users are the ones actually connecting their devices to the internet and actually using them to do things. This also has been reported repeatedly. Despite Android's marketshare numbers, Google wasn't going to ignore iOS for maps, or any other of their apps, despite Eric Schmitz's ramblings.
All this to say that units shipped/sold is a far less important statistic to Apple than any other manufacturer out there.
But in the end, it does feel good once in a while to hear news like this.

I'm not disagreeing at all, except to add some contrast... that for apps, many developers also get paid by advertisement success (i.e. # of eyes) and the pure numbers of eyes on Android still keeps app development quite strong.  Purchase of apps is not the only way for developers to monetize their apps.  And let's not forget that advertising (& search, obviously) is also Google's big mission/interest.  But yes, I get your point.

post #35 of 87
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post
I am not creative enough to think of something like that (You have been warned).

Seems more like people trying to kill an off-topic thread in a forum where it didn't belong. I saw more anti-Apple talk from the people that didn't post images than those that did.

post #36 of 87
Quote:

It was number one in the cnet Christmas wish list in the category of Samsung Galaxy S III phones...

...i remember someone posting a link to it.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #37 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

Much as I would love to believe this report, I find it unlikely when every other report recently has shown Apple on a market share decline, this appears out of place.

If it is true, then excellent, but I'd like to see some hard backing facts.

Most of the reports showing the "Apple decline", as you put it, relate to sales figures before the iPhone 5 launch had had much impact on the figures.

This is based on more recent data.

post #38 of 87

When it was showed that Android shipped 73% of the phones everyone on this site said that market share is not important to apple. Now apple sold the most phones it is important?

post #39 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

When it was showed that Android shipped 73% of the phones everyone on this site said that market share is not important to apple. Now apple sold the most phones it is important?

So you're comparing Android OS to a single HW vendor? Do you not see how that makes no sense?

post #40 of 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

We saw it with Mac/Windows in the 90s... you can't fix stupid.

And fast forward to today... Apple's laptops start at $1000.

Apple finally realized that selling a few expensive things is a better business plan than selling many cheap crappy things.

Seriously... what does "moar market share!" get you other than being on top of a market share chart?
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › iPhone 5 launch propels Apple to 53% of US smartphone sales