or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google to debut Motorola-built 'X phone' next year, takes aim at Apple and Samsung

Google to debut Motorola-built 'X phone' next year, takes aim at Apple and Samsung - Page 2

post #41 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by haar View Post

go google!.... CRUSH. samsung... you are the one that is supplying the Android OS to them, thus stop updating it for all phones except yours!.
Samsung meet your maker!. go google!

Google doesn't give updates to anyone except it's Nexus devices. Everyone else just grabs the software off Google's servers
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #42 of 65

Question: What's the real reason for Google / Motorola to release an X-phone?

Answer: To fight Samsung's phones running a "Samsung" fork of Android.

There are many reasons why Samsung can and will create their own closed, proprietary fork of Android.  They could optimize it for their own hardware instead of dealing with lowest-common-denominator code for all platforms.  They could leverage their dominant share of the Android market and create their own app store and content store, so they could profit from app and content sales and cut Google out of the loop.  (And they could offer ad-free versions of Android and its apps, since their revenue comes from hardware.  Like Apple.)

And, of course, Samsung also has a large share of the television set market.  They could leverage that, and create an app store for their connected "smart" TVs.  Google has already failed in the TV market.  Twice, with two re-hashes of the old WebTV concept.  And Samsung needs to act now to prepare for the inevitable Apple disruption of the television industry.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #43 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

There are many reasons why Samsung can and will create their own closed, proprietary fork of Android.  They could optimize it for their own hardware instead of dealing with lowest-common-denominator code for all platforms.  They could leverage their dominant share of the Android market and create their own app store and content store, so they could profit from app and content sales and cut Google out of the loop.  (And they could offer ad-free versions of Android and its apps, since their revenue comes from hardware.  Like Apple.)

And, of course, Samsung also has a large share of the television set market.  They could leverage that, and create an app store for their connected "smart" TVs.  Google has already failed in the TV market.  Twice, with two re-hashes of the old WebTV concept.  And Samsung needs to act now to prepare for the inevitable Apple disruption of the television industry.

I think you make a rock solid argument. Samsung's sales using Android OS seem to be on par with iOS. They clearly have interest in developing their own OS as we can see from Bada. It's possible that forking Android could be cheaper and better than continuing Bada at some point.

It's really too bad for Dell, HP, et al. that they didn't develop their own OSes while utilizing Windows. Now they are stuck with an ever dwindling share of the consumer and server market. For their sake I hope the enterprise still needs their PCs for a long time to come.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #44 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

I think you make a rock solid argument. Samsung's sales using Android OS seem to be on par with iOS. They clearly have interest in developing their own OS as we can see from Bada. It's possible that forking Android could be cheaper and better than continuing Bada at some point.

It's really too bad for Dell, HP, et al. that they didn't develop their own OSes while utilizing Windows. Now they are stuck with an ever dwindling share of the consumer and server market. For their sake I hope the enterprise still needs their PCs for a long time to come.

Sol the Mogul...  LOL

I always thought that HP was the best positioned (after the Palm purchase) -- to write a desktop/mobile OS.

The mobile OS would be pure mobile for touch ARM phones and tablets.

The desktop OS would co-exist with Windows 7 and provide touch capabilities to the desktop -- and any potential Intel tablets...

Unfortunately HP screwed the pooch by not delivering anything...

However, MS did even worse by delivering Windows 8 desktop, and Windows RT Surface....

This will be eclipsed (made even worse) in 2013 when MS releases the Windows 8 Surface Pro -- and proves, again, that running full windows on a tablet is a costly and futile exercise.

... I have to go now, and wrap an old doorknob as a Christmas gift...

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #45 of 65

My daughter made the most interesting Christmas cookies this year:

... They taste kinda' funny, tho...

post #46 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I think I see what the problem is.

edit:

post #47 of 65
Quote:

There are many reasons why Samsung can and will create their own closed, proprietary fork of Android.  

If they did, and it didn't run the tests for a certain version, then it couldn't be called Android any more.  

If they wanted to go out on their own, they'd probably continue work on Bada instead.

Quote:
They could optimize it for their own hardware instead of dealing with lowest-common-denominator code for all platforms.  

Ever port an OS?   Each manufacturer can and already does optimize parts of the standard code to run better on their hardware.

Quote:

They could leverage their dominant share of the Android market and create their own app store and content store, so they could profit from app and content sales and cut Google out of the loop. 

They can already do their own store.  It's not like Apple, where only one store is allowed.

Quote:
 (And they could offer ad-free versions of Android and its apps, since their revenue comes from hardware.  Like Apple.)

The Android OS is already ad free.    As for ad supported apps, both systems have those.

post #48 of 65
All this means is that google is spending a bit more on making the hardware nice, instead of the fisher price stuff it produces now.

In addition to this, there will be a daring new UI like microsofts Metro designs.

There will also finally be some attention given to polishing up the native apps, so they don't look like rejects from developer training conferences.

The problem?

Apple already does those things. They ARE the high end. That's the reason there's room for android to exist as it is.

Google will probably sell phones at a loss in order to keep pricing cheaper than the high end Apple iPhone.

If they don't, no one will buy it. If your going to spend that money, might as well get the real prada. Not the knockoff wannabe.
post #49 of 65

This move from Google has nothing to do with wanting to compete with Samesung.  They don't.  Problem is, Google is going to need to compete with Amazon, and Samdung doesn't have any ecosystem to facilitate that.  Just look at how Amazon is crushing Samsung in the tablet market with their forked version of Android, one that doesn't use any of Google's services.

Amazon is about to enter the phone market.  They'll be selling decent phones for free, hoping to make up the money off of subscription revenue, a cut of the ad revenue and by getting Microsoft to pay them to default the phones to Microsoft's services.  They will be using a forked version of Android that completely cuts Google out.  They're going to move a slew of phones, make it impossible for Sammy and LG to earn a profit in the phone business and drive Nokia and RIMM into bankruptcy.  Apart from Apple, they'll be the only manufacturer that offers an ecosystem that spans phones, tablets and services.

Google has to get into the hardware business in a big way before this happens or they're toast.  They have no other choice.

post #50 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Yes, but how long will it take Samsung, HTC, and the rest to realize that they're competing with their OS supplier?

I'm sure they figured that out the moment Google bought MotoMo. Maybe that's why Google threw them a bone or two by having them build the Nexus Crapus.

I'm wondering about the X-phone name... Microsoft has their Xbox... they may feel a bit territorial about X-anything even though they call their crappy tablet  "Surface RT".

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #51 of 65
Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Ever port an OS?   Each manufacturer can and already does optimize parts of the standard code to run better on their hardware.

I think Apple is the only manufacturer to do an effective optimization; fitting their hardware and iOS together very tightly - yielding high battery life and an agile small OS footprint.

Android Jellybean is a good improvement over the earlier versions of Android, but the manufacturers can only fart with the UI they layered on top of Jellybean and go quad-core to speed things up decently.

The biggest surprise is how massive the Microsoft OS is for their tablets and phones. There doesn't seem to be a bit of apparent optimization. It's a pure resource pig!

post #52 of 65
Anything Google branded is pretty much creme de la creme of Android~

Nexus 7
Nexus 10
Nexus 4

This will be good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky the Macky View Post

I think Apple is the only manufacturer to do an effective optimization; fitting their hardware and iOS together very tightly - yielding high battery life and an agile small OS footprint.

Android Jellybean is a good improvement over the earlier versions of Android, but the manufacturers can only fart with the UI they layered on top of Jellybean and go quad-core to speed things up decently.

The biggest surprise is how massive the Microsoft OS is for their tablets and phones. There doesn't seem to be a bit of apparent optimization. It's a pure resource pig!

Not really, Samsung and HTC's UIs are vastly improved on 4.1 and offer a high level of efficiency and customisation. Even Sony on 4.0.4 is really not that bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9secondko View Post

All this means is that google is spending a bit more on making the hardware nice, instead of the fisher price stuff it produces now.
In addition to this, there will be a daring new UI like microsofts Metro designs.
There will also finally be some attention given to polishing up the native apps, so they don't look like rejects from developer training conferences.
The problem?
Apple already does those things. They ARE the high end. That's the reason there's room for android to exist as it is.
Google will probably sell phones at a loss in order to keep pricing cheaper than the high end Apple iPhone.
If they don't, no one will buy it. If your going to spend that money, might as well get the real prada. Not the knockoff wannabe.

For some, the real ~Prada~ is Samsung S3, Droid DNA, OneX+, Nexus4, and so on. Google doesn't care about hardware ~ the idea is to make a "reference platform" that promotes and gives the best Android experience. Then manufacturers can attempt to move towards that standard or innovate in different ways.

2013 is going to be a big year for Android. iPhone5 still rock-solid but globally will dip below 50% share on smartphones.

Edit: Hang on... Not 4.1 yet. Update y'aall soon.
Edited by sr2012 - 12/23/12 at 4:13am
post #53 of 65

In my view all the media hype and excitement about smartphones will largely be passe' within another three years at most. The "next big thing" will be Glass projects from the likes of Google, Apple, Microsoft, RIM and others. By then the biggest single draw for the iPhone might simply be that it's a required device for Apple's version of Glass. That a new iPhone itself might be coming up will be ho-hum. Same with Android phones in general. They just aren't going to getting a whole lot of media hype within just another few years, having transitioned closer to commodity status.

Just my opinion of course.

Edited by Gatorguy - 12/23/12 at 5:52am
melior diabolus quem scies
post #54 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

In my view all the media hype and excitement about smartphones will largely be passe' within another three years at most. The "next big thing" will be Glass projects from the likes of Google, Apple, Microsoft, RIM and others. By then the biggest single draw for the iPhone might simply be that it's a required device for Apple's version of Glass. That a new iPhone itself might be coming up will be ho-hum. Same with Android phones in general. They just aren't going to getting a whole lot of media hype within just another few years, having transitioned closer to commodity status.

Wow. I'd never thought I'd see the day I'd be more enthusiastic about Android than Gatorguy. You all must have really did a number on him.

The thing is 2013-2015 will be exciting for smartphones but also the "Holy Grail" which is Tablet as full laptop and desktop replacement in 2015.

For Glass, we're talking 2018 at the earliest for something decent and even then we'll need the next Steve Jobs. Glass-wise or full gesture in air stuff I won't expect until 2016 even to come out of the labs in any reasonable shape.

Man my new HTC One X is super fast on Android 4.1.1 ~ you have been warned about the Android storm coming 2013.
post #55 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I don't eat anything that stares back at me like that!

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #56 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Wow. I'd never thought I'd see the day I'd be more enthusiastic about Android than Gatorguy. You all must have really did a number on him.
The thing is 2013-2015 will be exciting for smartphones but also the "Holy Grail" which is Tablet as full laptop and desktop replacement in 2015.
For Glass, we're talking 2018 at the earliest for something decent and even then we'll need the next Steve Jobs. Glass-wise or full gesture in air stuff I won't expect until 2016 even to come out of the labs in any reasonable shape.
Man my new HTC One X is super fast on Android 4.1.1 ~ you have been warned about the Android storm coming 2013.

Steve Ballmer just simultaneously got wood and cried in his milk when he heard that your "holy grail" is what Microsoft is peddling as Surface Pro.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #57 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Steve Ballmer just simultaneously got wood and cried in his milk when he heard that your "holy grail" is what Microsoft is peddling as Surface Pro.

LOL. Anything with the word "Surface" is far, far from it. But I appreciate his chubby, I aim to please.
post #58 of 65

Proof that the end is near:

In Brazil the iPhone runs. . . ANDROID??

Apparently Apple doesn't own the iPhone name in Brazil according to this story:

http://phys.org/news/2012-12-brazil-company-cellphones-iphone-brand.html

post #59 of 65
Quote:

Proof that the end is near:

In Brazil the iPhone runs. . . ANDROID??

Apparently Apple doesn't own the iPhone name in Brazil according to this story:
http://phys.org/news/2012-12-brazil-company-cellphones-iphone-brand.html

Poor Apple, getting trolled hard by all kinds of idiots. (SEE CLARIFICATION BELOW!)
Edited by sr2012 - 12/23/12 at 8:54am
post #60 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Poor Apple, getting trolled hard by all kinds of idiots.

His "End is near" comment was said in jest.

post #61 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

His "End is near" comment was said in jest.

So was mine 1smile.gif ~ BTW by "idiots" I meant the Brazilian company, not Gatorguy LOL.
post #62 of 65
Quote:

Well, shucks, you are co-opting an idea that I've been floating here for the last year or so, but you are twisting it in Google's direction. No surprise there.

Yes, the next big thing WILL be wearable screens, emphasis on the plural, because they will be binocular—so you can see the content in 3-D.

Google's "Glass" apparatus is so far for one eye only. This is typical of their usual anti-aesthetic. As I've said here before, It will lead to even more cerebral disharmony than we have now.

Apple's patents and applications have mostly, as far as I know, featured two image panes, one for each eye.

Stereo vision of electronic image display will be the next big thing, connected to the pocket computer/phone as you say, and it will be the most powerful communications medium yet. To use Google's monocular "Glass" term is to do this momentous shift in technology a gross injustice.
Edited by Flaneur - 12/23/12 at 11:25am
post #63 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I don't eat anything that stares back at me like that!

How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
How to enter the Apple logo  on iOS:
/Settings/Keyboard/Shortcut and paste in  which you copied from an email draft or a note. Screendump
post #64 of 65
The bottom line is they will not make any $$$$, good luck
post #65 of 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilly View Post

The bottom line is they will not make any $$$$, good luck

Well you do know there is mainly one and only winner in all this, right? Google... Not Moto, not HTC, not Samsung even...
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Google to debut Motorola-built 'X phone' next year, takes aim at Apple and Samsung