or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues

Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues

post #1 of 189
Apple is reportedly preparing a thinner, lighter fifth-generation iPad model ahead of a March unveiling, only five months after the most recent version was released in October, claims Japanese blog Mac Otakara.

Citing people familiar with the matter, Mac Otakara, which has a hit-and-miss record of predicting future Apple products, claims the 9.7-inch tablet will surface in March with a new look more in line with the iPad mini.

The exact dimensions of the purported iPad were not divulged by the source, but they did expect the tablet to be thinner and lighter than the current iteration. As with most Apple products, and those of OEMs in general, designs have been trending toward shrinking the device while cramming in as much technology as possible. With the third and fourth-generation iPad, however, the chassis was actually slightly thicker than its predecessor as more internal space was required to hold the circuitry that powers the unit's Retina display.

iPad review
Apple's full-size iPad may get a design refresh in March.

While the rumor fits with recent whispers that Apple may be moving to an aggressive half-year product refresh cycle, as seen with the fourth-generation iPad, the company has consistently worked with a year-long rotation for its iDevice lines since their respective introductions.

No mention was made of the 9.7-inch model's internal specifications, but the publication did note that an upgraded iPad mini is already in the works. The smaller tablet will reportedly fit an all-new 7.9-inch Retina display over hand-me-down innards like the A6X processor from the current full-size iPad. Separate reports have echoed the second-gen iPad mini rumors, though a prospective launch timeline has yet to be established.
post #2 of 189

6th-gen in April. 10th-gen in May.

the 9.7-inch tablet will surface

I wish I didn't know that this wasn't purposeful so that I could commend the author's sense of humor.

post #3 of 189
I really don't see the point unless Rogue 6 is ready to go.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #4 of 189

This will coincide with the release of iPhone 7.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #5 of 189
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
This will coincide with the release of iPhone 7.

That's the 10th iPhone. You really think it will take that long for the next iPad?

post #6 of 189

I believe this rumor. Apple is trying to be super aggressive with tablets. It isn't going to go a year without an update. 

post #7 of 189
Originally Posted by TBell View Post
I believe this rumor. Apple is trying to be super aggressive with tablets. It isn't going to go a year without an update. 

They never have before. Now they're "not going to go six months", which I don't think is the right thing to do, at least yet.

post #8 of 189
I guess "Mac Otakara" is the new DigiTimes. This trash isn't even worth the time spent reading it.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #9 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's the 10th iPhone. You really think it will take that long for the next iPad?

If you believe the article then I'm guessing iPhone 6 will be released in late January and iPhone 7 will be released in March.

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #10 of 189
Wow! Apple fans are going to explode.
post #11 of 189
Well it would help the iPad sell better.... I bet that they reduce the bezel like they did on the mini....

I
post #12 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by sranger View Post

Well it would help the iPad sell better.... I bet that they reduce the bezel like they did on the mini....
I

OMG seriously! It would help the Ipad sell better than what exactly? A slightly better selling tablet?

Reduce the bezel! Again, seriously? Another person who doesn't understand the design and what the bezel is actually for.

post #13 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

OMG seriously! It would help the Ipad sell better than what exactly? A slightly better selling tablet?

Well, actually... yes.

The iPad Mini.

1tongue.gif

Hmmmmmm...
Hmmmmmm...
post #14 of 189

This would be fine with me. Can't think of any other way the ipad can be improved significantly. It's already ultrafast and the screen is superb. Weight is the main reason I switched to a mini, and I could see myself switching back if it became significantly lighter. 

post #15 of 189
Quote:

If you call a CPU update and switching to the new connector being super aggressive. It seems more the ordinary kind of aggressive to me. Switching to Lightning makes sense, the idea of having the flagship on the old 30-pin with the new mini Lightning might not have sat well with them.

Apple can update whenever they feel like, but I think they're probably trying to update all their iOS devices closer together in the Fall, hence why iPhone 4S moved to the Fall, and possibly why iPad was given a bump in the fall. I think it probably helps unify their software and hardware development efforts.
Edited by JeffDM - 12/23/12 at 7:11pm
post #16 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

This would be fine with me. Can't think of any other way the ipad can be improved significantly. It's already ultrafast and the screen is superb. Weight is the main reason I switched to a mini, and I could see myself switching back if it became significantly lighter. 

But that's the issue I have with this rumour. How do you lower the weight whilst stilling maintaining a 10 hour battery life? Is there new battery tech being prepped for the mass market? Is it the Rogue 6 GPU or some other GPU solution? I could see a new, single backlight solution and IGZO display but I can't imagine those along would allow for much change in the total size of the battery.

post #17 of 189

This rumor is bunk. i predict a new ipad every month and a new iphone every 2 weeks. in addition to a new Apple TV set every two months.

post #18 of 189
I expect Apple might be making incremental upgrades to their iPad lines like they do the MBP and MBA lines. Small improvements will just bemade without fanfare. The bigger improvements will be preceded by larger PR campaigns.
Edited by waldobushman - 12/23/12 at 8:00pm
post #19 of 189

I wish people who didn't understand bezels wouldn't comment on them.

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post
I expect Apple might be making incremental upgrades to their iPad lines like they do the MBP and MBA lines. Small improvements will just made without fanfare. The bigger improvements will be preceded by larger PR campaigns.

Not yet.

post #20 of 189
Quote:

They never have before. Now they're "not going to go six months", which I don't think is the right thing to do, at least yet.

Maybe not with Tablets, but Apple used to update its Macs more frequently than a year. Apple sort of had its hands tied with the iPhone because of its long term contract with AT&T. That let Android in the market to play. Apple isn't likely to take chances with the iPad. Moreover, it used to be retail 101. Release the more higher end expense stuff you'd want to buy for yourself, as opposed to others, after the holidays. For instance, a Retina Mini or redesigned body iPad. 

post #21 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

If you call a CPU update and switching to the new connector being super aggressive. It seems more the ordinary kind of aggressive to me. Switching to Lightning makes sense, the idea of having the flagship on the old 30-pin with the new mini Lightning might not have sat well with them.
Apple can update whenever they feel like, but I think they're probably trying to update all their iOS devices closer together in the Fall, hence why iPhone 4S moved to the Fall, and possibly why iPad was given a bump in the fall. I think it probably helps unify their software and hardware development efforts.

I see speeding up the upgrade cycle as aggressive. No more once a year upgrades for some products, like the iPad.  I see two upgrades. One to coincide with the new version of iOS. And another approximately six months apart. 

post #22 of 189
Maybe not with Tablets, but Apple used to update its Macs more frequently than a year.

Well, yeah. And I see twice a year for tablets, too. But not yet. ARM isn't moving fast enough.

The iPad will replace the MacBook. The iMac will turn into a big, immobile iPad. Tablets will definitely be updated faster, the question is when that will actually make sense to happen.

post #23 of 189
This sounds, sound like pure "Blunt current iPad sales" rumors of course picked up by AI -- and started by Samsung shills. Seriously. Timing is amazing as usual.
post #24 of 189
Oh no here we go with the rumors again, now AppleInsider is going to write 35 articles per day about the 5th gen iPad until the day it is released. AI can't resist making products obsolete, please write about something useful. for the readers.
post #25 of 189

This prediction is a no-brainer.  Every other iDevices are shrink into smaller package.  I can see iPad 5 or iPad 4s coming in March with definitely thinner and may be smaller (currently ipad has a big border).  The mini update may take a little longer because Apple needs to distinguish the mini with the iPad.  It may come with a better screen but not retina grade.  iPad also needs to deal with the heat issue.  When you pack something into a thinner package with retina screen and A6 processor, you are pushing the boundary of physics in keeping the device cool at all times.  The current iPad 4 is a little warm during operation.    

post #26 of 189

May be this is the reason why they are cutting back on production because of the upgrade.

post #27 of 189
Originally Posted by rsdofny View Post
(currently ipad has a big border)

For a reason.

The mini update may take a little longer because Apple needs to distinguish the mini with the iPad.

One's of a usable size, the other is pointlessly smaller. Pretty sure they're distinct lines already.

iPad also needs to deal with the heat issue.

What heat issue?

post #28 of 189
Quote:

The iPad will replace the MacBook. The iMac will turn into a big, immobile iPad. Tablets will definitely be updated faster, the question is when that will actually make sense to happen.

I wonder how long until iPad photo editing replaces a MacBook (professionally as well as the ability to mass edit- weddings, etc). Of course, you'd have to find a way to get the photos to the iPad from your camera...

5 years? 7 years? No time soon at least.

2014 27" Retina iMac i5, 2012 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 2, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #29 of 189

Apple was TOO predicable there for a while. This allowed the competition to work up a year long release cycle to drain off Apple sales for 60 to 90 days before the next expected Apple tablet or phone release. Now Apple is mixing it up more and becoming harder for competitors to build an ad release campaign around an expected date. Apple may go to a twice a year release of various products, or they may go to an unpredictable release schedule that will be more frequent than once a year, but not twice either. 

I don't think we're in Kansas any more...?

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
post #30 of 189
Quote:

One's of a usable size, the other is pointlessly smaller. Pretty sure they're distinct lines already.

Pointlessly smaller?

I guess you missed all the people who said that they like the size of the iPad Mini. And the reports that the iPad Mini was largely getting new customers rather than cannibalizing iPad sales.

But TS says that it's pointless, so Apple should just discontinue the product. 1rolleyes.gif1oyvey.gif
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #31 of 189
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
I wonder how long until iPad photo editing replaces a MacBook (professionally as well as the ability to mass edit- weddings, etc).

I say three before it's physically feasible, 4-5 before Apple actually does it.

Of course, you'd have to find a way to get the photos to the iPad from your camera...

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A/apple-ipad-camera-connection-kit

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
But TS says that it's pointless…

…ly smaller. You even quoted it yourself. I don't believe it's smaller enough to justify its existence. It's just too big when compared to the iPad. It's more like a "there, it's smaller, shut your faces," than anything else. I mean, I'm fine with that take, but it seems like a waste of resources.

They "like it more" because it's cheaper. Period. It's the exact same scenario as the iPod mini; $50 more netted you a ludicrously better device, and yet people bought the mini more than the regular iPod simply because it was cheaper.

If Apple had done what they knew worked with the iPhone and just dropped the iPad 2 to $299, the iPad mini crowd would have just shut up and all this nonsense would have fallen into laughable history like the "iPhone nano".

post #32 of 189
6 to 9 months wood be good as long as Apple has nice improvements not just a minor thing
post #33 of 189
Thinner and lighter iPad is a natural evolutionary step. People shouldn't be surprised. We can thank competition for this. I hope Apple start being more creative in the feature set of ios as well.

Apple on the money with the iPad mini and using that as a reference design they can't go wrong. Bring it on I say!
post #34 of 189
Quote:

I
Not unless they get the weight down to match the weight of the mini ...

Two completely different animals. Can't just lop off the bezel on the iPad because there's thumb recognition technology now ...
post #35 of 189
Quote:

They "like it more" because it's cheaper. Period. It's the exact same scenario as the iPod mini; $50 more netted you a ludicrously better device, and yet people bought the mini more than the regular iPod simply because it was cheaper.

This is backwards. The iPod mini cost a lot more compared to the iPod [Classic] and yet it was the best selling iPod. $249 v $299 wasn't going to make a difference, especially when considering the $249 price point only yielded you 40% of the capacity of the larger model. I certainly had no interest in the iPod until the Mini came along and it had everything to do with size.

Now the iPad mini, as attractive as it is, currently does not appeal to me compared to my iPad (3), but at about half the size of it's brother I can see how it's very appealing. I know plenty of people that will be getting the iPad mini when they replace their iPad and many that are now interested in the iPad because it's smaller. Price is the reason for someone to save $70 over the iPad 2.

post #36 of 189

Just so I have it right- I get a 30 pin connector to lightning conversion connector and then that connector? Classy. Lol...

post #37 of 189
I don't think 6-month iterations is a good thing. People's devices will become obselete too quickly. I am already finding it difficult with my iPhone 4 and a 3 year contract up here in Canada. My phone is slowing down and Apple will stop providing updates in the next 2 years or so for my device. If they have faster iterations, they will either carry more devices along through the updates or people will get left behind if they don't upgrade.
And, these are high quality devices. You don't spend 400-900$ to have it be obselete in 2 years
post #38 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

Just so I have it right- I get a 30 pin connector to lightning conversion connector and then that connector? Classy. Lol...

So you have a device with a Lightning connector? So then why not just buy the direct adapter for it? Or why not use an app that is designed to transfer via WiFi or BT from your camera? It sounds like you're trying to make up problems to things that have been worked out now for a long time.

post #39 of 189
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
This is backwards. The iPod mini cost a lot more compared to the iPod [Classic] and yet it was the best selling iPod. $249 v $299 wasn't going to make a difference, especially when considering the $249 price point only yielded you 40% of the capacity of the larger model.

No, that's what I'm saying. It was overpriced compared to the regular iPod, which was usually within the 'no-brainer' field when it comes to upgrades, but it sold because it was cheaper. 

post #40 of 189
They need to do something quick. Stock prices are plummeting.
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues