or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues - Page 3

post #81 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

... See, you and I? We're a dying breed. People demand it get thinner because their hands can't manage the thickness now. People demand it get lighter because they're too weak to hold anything heavier than an iPad mini.  ...

 

You sure make a lot of dumb comments for someone so smart.  This whole line of reasoning is pure nonsense and entirely subjective, as I'm sure you know if you think about it for even a nanosecond.  I bet you are one of those idiots that drive an immense car like a Ford 5150 or a Hummer when you don't really need it also.  

 

Anyone who seriously tries to argue that weight, thinness, and general portability are irrelevant design issues for a mobile, hand-held device ... is either an idiot or just some jerk capering around trying to make people angry.  Which are you?  

 

These are obviously some of the central, and primary design criteria for such a device.  They obviously matter more than almost any other factor for such a device.  

 

1rolleyes.gif

post #82 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


Pointlessly smaller?
I guess you missed all the people who said that they like the size of the iPad Mini. And the reports that the iPad Mini was largely getting new customers rather than cannibalizing iPad sales.
But TS says that it's pointless, so Apple should just discontinue the product. 1rolleyes.gif1oyvey.gif

 

It's starting to look that TallestSkil just has a fetish for big things.  

 

He/she likes the big fat iPod, and the big fat laptop etc.

 

Perhaps in real life he's Leonard Nemoy.  

post #83 of 189
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Anyone who seriously tries to argue that weight, thinness, and general portability are irrelevant design issues…

 

At no point did I say that, but go ahead and believe whatever you want, I guess.

 

They obviously matter more than almost…

 

Hey, look at that.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #84 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Well, yeah. And I see twice a year for tablets, too. But not yet. ARM isn't moving fast enough.

 

What does ARM have to do with this?

 

Apple licenses the ISA, they design their own CPUs, no need to wait for ARM.

 

The A7 could have a different GPU that can handle the Retina displays - no need for an 'X' variant later. It could also gain more CPU cores, faster memory bus, etc. There's a lot Apple could do with their SoC to set it apart from what they currently offer.

Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
Disclaimer: The things I say are merely my own personal opinion and may or may not be based on facts. At certain points in any discussion, sarcasm may ensue.
Reply
post #85 of 189
Every time a new iDevice comes out we have to listen to the outraged screams of those who bought the old model a month ago and now are stuck with an "obsolete" device. This would only make things worse. I swear some Apple fans are entitled, card carrying lunatics.
post #86 of 189
Originally Posted by h3nrch View Post
I'm all for fast iterations and accelerated product cycles but I wish someone would spend some time fixing all of the bugs in iOS.

 

Yeah, iOS is totally unusable isn't it. Nothing works and guys like you obsess over its flaws.

post #87 of 189
Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post
What does ARM have to do with this?

 

Apple licenses the ISA, they design their own CPUs, no need to wait for ARM.

 

Well, what happens when Apple has to start from the literal ground up when building their…

 

Wait a minute, know what, I'm fine with that. I remember saying something about that many years ago—how designing their own architectures would be the final step in the control Apple loves so much. 

 

Look, I don't believe it's not gonna happen; it's quite possible this is exactly what they're doing. I just don't think it's the best idea yet, given that there won't be very much change between lines anymore.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #88 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

 

You sure make a lot of dumb comments for someone so smart.

 

1rolleyes.gif

 

I'll keep saying it... TS is a troll throwing out click bait for AI.

 

I notice you have a long list of people that you've placed on ignore. Do yourself a favor and add TS.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #89 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

At no point did I say that, but go ahead and believe whatever you want, I guess. ...

 

Oh come on!  You are always going on about the fact that the smaller devices have no reason to exist (although you have recently allowed that the iPad mini might be popular but even then only for it's price, not it's size). 

 

You've made several posts in this thread alone to the effect that no one wants a small device, that they have no reason to exist, that smallness is a drawback and not a feature, that people are basically stupid to buy small devices, etc. etc. etc.

 

It's like one of your main themes.  

Then when someone calls you on it you deny it?  

 

Lame. 

post #90 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'll keep saying it... TS is a troll throwing out click bait for AI.

I notice you have a long list of people that you've placed on ignore. Do yourself a favor and add TS.

None of that is accurate.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/24/12 at 8:39am

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #91 of 189
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
You are always going on about the fact that the smaller devices have no reason to exist…

 

Nope. Otherwise I'd be against the iPhone and all iPods.


You've made several posts in this thread alone to the effect that no one wants a small device…

 

Nope. Reading those posts would tell you that.


…that smallness is a drawback and not a feature…

 

I've said that! You got one thing right, at least. I've also said that size too large is a drawback and not a feature. But then again, it's all or nothing, isn't it?


…that people are basically stupid to buy small devices

 

*chortle*


It's like one of your main themes.  

 

This ain't 4th grade Literature class. If I have any "themes", it's stopping insanity.


Originally posted by you, or someone else, five seconds after reading that
OH, SO PEOPLE WHO BUY SMALLER DEVICES ARE INSANE, IS THAT IT?!

Then when someone calls you on it you deny it?  

 

I'll deny any lies said about me, sure.


…etc. etc. etc.

 

No, please, go on. You're making up nearly all of this; it should be a cinch to continue.

 

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
None of that accurate.

Nor possible. 😉

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #92 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Depends on your definition of perfect. In my opinion iPad is a collection of compromises. I do like my iPad mini and rarely use my iPad 3 but it is far from perfect. People who try to force the iPad into activities that it was never designed for like the "professional" wedding photographer guy, just make me laugh. iPad might be ok as a presentation device but I find it difficult to imagine importing huge RAW files for editing unless you are some sort of masochist. IPad is convenient only because it is lightweight and portable not because it excels at computing tasks.

Sorry to be the one to break it to you, but EVERYTHING is a collection of compromises. Even if the iPad were half the weight, 10 times as fast, had 5 times the screen resolution and 20 times the battery life, there are still compromises involved. Why not make it 1/3 the weight and only 10 times the battery life?

Design is all about good compromises. Apple has shown a masterful ability to choose the compromises which do not negatively affect usability. Every time someone complains about a missing feature or how an Apple product should be bigger or smaller or faster or thinner or have replaceable batteries or whatever, they're clearly missing the fact that doing those things means that something else has to suffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

They "like it more" because it's cheaper. Period. It's the exact same scenario as the iPod mini; $50 more netted you a ludicrously better device, and yet people bought the mini more than the regular iPod simply because it was cheaper.

EVEN IF price were the only reason why people bought the Mini (which clearly isn't true if you read these forums), then the fact that it is smaller is what allows Apple to sell it for less - so it's not pointlessly smaller, anyway.

Do you EVER admit you're wrong?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #93 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


None of that is accurate.


In your mind only.


Edited by island hermit - 12/24/12 at 8:50am
na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #94 of 189
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
EVEN IF price were the only reason why people bought the Mini (which clearly isn't true if you read these forums), then the fact that it is smaller* is what allows Apple to sell it for less - so it's not pointlessly smaller, anyway.

 

Do we know this*? Doesn't sound right to me, particularly since we've seen a viable alternative both with the iPhone and the iPad itself. 

 

Size isn't the only* factor in price, and quite often we see that smaller size increases, rather than decreases, price.

 

*If you don't mean this, then I don't mean to impose the opposite on you; simply read it as a continuation of (and conditional agreement with) your point.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #95 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

You sure make a lot of dumb comments for someone so smart.

1rolleyes.gif

I'll keep saying it... TS is a troll throwing out click bait for AI.

I notice you have a long list of people that you've placed on ignore. Do yourself a favor and add TS.

Or better yet, he could do us all a favor.
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
"See her this weekend. You hit it off, come Turkey Day, maybe you can stuff her."
- Roger Sterling
Reply
post #96 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Do we know this*? Doesn't sound right to me, particularly since we've seen a viable alternative both with the iPhone and the iPad itself. 

Size isn't the only* factor in price, and quite often we see that smaller size increases, rather than decreases, price.

*If you don't mean this, then I don't mean to impose the opposite on you; simply read it as a continuation of (and conditional agreement with) your point.

You're right. The iPad Mini is far more expensive than the iPad 4. 1oyvey.gif1rolleyes.gif

*shakes head*

Look at the cost factors:

CPU - Mini uses an older (and presumably less expensive) CPU
Screen - Mini uses a smaller screen with lower resolution. It will certainly be less expensive
Battery - Mini's battery is smaller which makes it less expensive.
Case - Mini's case is smaller and will be less expensive
Motherboard - probably the same
Flash storage - no difference
Backlights - one backlight in the Mini compared to dual backlight in the iPad 4 (due to retina display)

So how in the world would you conclude that the Mini would cost more to make than the iPad 4?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #97 of 189
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
You're right. The iPad Mini is far more expensive than the iPad 4. 1oyvey.gif1rolleyes.gif

 

Ah, you WERE believing that, then. Okay, take it as me refuting nonsense, then, not as agreement.


So how in the world would you conclude that the Mini would cost more to make than the iPad 4?

 

I dunno, but at least I didn't do that.


Originally Posted by bodaciousone View Post
…a retina version comes out a year later than it should have to begin with.

 

Except no, that's not how it works.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #98 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

In your mind only.

If you have some proof then please present it. If not, then I would encourage you to withdrawal the accusation. You don't have to agree with his comments and you make any counter argument you wish but I don't see how saying he's just trolling is in any way a valid or reasonable rebuttal for any position he's taken.


PS: If he is an admin that is trolling then why haven't your accusations been deleted?

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #99 of 189
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
PS: If he is an admin that is trolling then why haven't your accusations been deleted?

 

I tried to switch my user title to "Cathartic Anger Outlet", but it takes up two lines.lol.gif

 

EDIT: Well, look at that.


Edited by Tallest Skil - 12/24/12 at 10:22am

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #100 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

They need to do something quick. Stock prices are plummeting.


Great. Soon I'll be able to buy in. Please sell!

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #101 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I tried to switch my user title to "Cathartic Anger Outlet", but it takes up two lines.lol.gif

 

EDIT: Well, look at that.


Well, you do mix up Latin and Greek. You'd be faster using chinese ideograms at that rate ^^

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #102 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I tried to switch my user title to "Cathartic Anger Outlet", but it takes up two lines.lol.gif

EDIT: Well, look at that.

Anybody who gets Gazoob and hermit riled up is ok in my book.

Congrats on the new title, but yer mixing Greek and Latin. Can anyone help out with the Greek? "Mega" something or other . . .

Edit: lightknight beat me to it.
post #103 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


4) Why is the screen awful? It's the same resolution as the iPad they were selling less than a year ago, but with a higher PPI. Not as good as the iPad (3) or (4) is not as the same as it being awful. Why would ladies like this awful display if you don't? Are you implying ladies have poor taste in electronics compared to dudes?

I find the iPad 1&2 resolution quite awful, to be honest. That's why I never got one.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Reply
post #104 of 189
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post
Well, you do mix up Latin and Greek.
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post
Congrats on the new title, but yer mixing Greek and Latin.


Christmas is a time of things coming together. 1wink.gif

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #105 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
PS: If he is an admin that is trolling then why haven't your accusations been deleted?

 

Because I'm right?

 

(... and besides, what have the two got to do with each other 1confused.gif)

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #106 of 189
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post
Because I'm right?

😶

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #107 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Because I'm right?

So to prove you wrong he can ban you? I'm not sure you want to take that stance.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #108 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post


Well, you do mix up Latin and Greek. You'd be faster using chinese ideograms at that rate ^^
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Anybody who gets Gazoob and hermit riled up is ok in my book.
Congrats on the new title, but yer mixing Greek and Latin. Can anyone help out with the Greek? "Mega" something or other . . .
Edit: lightknight beat me to it.

Then it's my fault. Google Translate has a translation into Latin as Catharticum but that's modern Latin. It would depend on the timeframe when the word was borrowed into Latin. I don't know when that was and we all know that languages evolve and that borrowed words retain their original spellings for a spell. The OAD3 lists the word's origin in English as "early 19th century from Greek katharsis, from kathairein ‘cleanse,’ from katharos ‘pure.’ We know that words taken into Latin were given 'C' instead of the Greek Kappa 'K' but there are exceptions — there are always exceptions — especially when the word comes from a different language group. Personally, I like the K and there is nothing wrong with English speakers mixing languages... for reasons that are obvious.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #109 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

I don't understand this comment., you can already edit photos on an iPad with all the same features and functions as something like iPhoto or Aperture.  iPhoto on the iPad has the exact same corrective capabilities as it's OS-X cousins.  
No- you can't. You can't batch edit like in aperture. Say you want to add a certain contrast and sharpness for all shots taken inside during the reception outside in natural light- you can do it to hundreds at one time on aperture. Can't on iPad.
Edited by Andysol - 12/24/12 at 11:30am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

Reply
post #110 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


So to prove you wrong he can ban you? I'm not sure you want to take that stance.


Personally I don't give a f*ck if that's the stance an administrator takes because someone thinks he's a troll.

 

I know you think you have a lock on reason and logic, Solipsism... but sadly that just isn't so.

na na na na na...
Reply
na na na na na...
Reply
post #111 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post


Personally I don't give a f*ck if that's the stance an administrator takes because someone thinks he's a troll.

I know you think you have a lock on reason and logic, Solipsism... but sadly that just isn't so.

1) So he's an administrative shill if he lets you slander him and he's one if he removes your comments? How can you have it both ways... and without any evidence? Look, I disagree with TS all the time (including this very thread) but in no way do I think he's being paid by AI to generate more clicks by trolling. If you think differently that's your choice but at least try to provide something that resembles a reasonable argument to defend your point.

2) Now your making claims about what I think? I certainly try to be as objective and scientific as possible in everything I do but I'll be the first to tell you that I fall very far from that goal every day. I do at least make my best effort to obtain that goal.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #112 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Ah, you WERE believing that, then. Okay, take it as me refuting nonsense, then, not as agreement.

You just used what is known as a straw man argument. You can't beat my argument, so you create some stupid argument and pretend that I made it.

No one ever said that size is the ONLY factor in price. What I said was that:

The CPU in the Mini is less expensive
The screen in the Mini is less expensive
The case in the Mini is less expensive
The battery in the Mini is less expensive
Everything else is either less expensive or the same.

So what is it that make the Mini more expensive to manufacture as you are claiming?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #113 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by frxntier View Post

They need to do something quick. Stock prices are plummeting.

 

Stock price is settling down to extremely attractive buy positions for 2013.

post #114 of 189
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
You just used what is known as a straw man argument. You can't beat my argument, so you create some stupid argument and pretend that I made it.

 

No, you didn't clarify your statement, I made a rebuttal and gave it conditions based on the interpretation you took, your reply to my rebuttal collapsed the uncertainty into a single interpretation, and I finished by reconfirming that as such. 


No one ever said that size is the ONLY factor in price. What I said was that:
So what is it that make the Mini more expensive to manufacture as you are claiming?

 

And I never claimed the iPad Mini was more expensive to manufacture. 

 

Thing about strawmen is that if you get a big enough pile, it only takes a single match. Sort of an acidic way to live, or at least hold conversations. That's not the word I want, but tanj if I can remember it or anything else ever

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #115 of 189

I have my original iPad and with the last iOS 5 release purs quite well. I've got nearly 1000 books, tons of apps I use and have no interest in losing a solid product to a piece of highly polished aluminum that the wind can wisk away while sitting on a table outside.

 

The weight right now is absurdly light.

 

Note:

 

  1. iPads aren't replacing computers. They are augmenting the portable lifestyle of those who mainly used laptops for web browsing and social networking
  2. iMacs and Mac minis will continue to expand in sales
  3. Mac Pro will be a big hit in 2013
  4. Apple will never use Intel Atom processors (when your cash cows have multiple vendors for ARM CPU SoC designs you have leverage)
  5. Mac Mini is selling like hot cakes as I see a lot of Mom's buying them for their young children. Those kids get older and bigger. They will choose an iPad over the mini when they want more power to play their portable video games

 

I could go on, and show how the iPad Mini isn't stealing sales from any of Apple's markets, but people have some bizarre fetish with the idea it does cannibalize and thus allow stock manipulators to buy up and down.

 

Apple is approaching 10% of the combined Laptop/Desktop market. There is plenty of room to grow.

 

The average consumer dumps an Apple Laptop/Desktop every 18 months, even though the product runs well for 5 years.

 

The world has over 7 billion consumers.

 

China and India have yet to be truly tapped, just like South America.

 

iPads are driving more sales of iMacs and Macbooks than people realize. I go to Real Estate offices and see iMacs and Macbooks for agents who include an iPhone and an iPad on their desks. They are demoing videos on their iPads to perspective clients, checking mail and IMs via their phones and back at their desk they are writing up their commission reports either on their iMac or Macbooks while using services like iCloud, Dropbox, EndNote and a host of of Web based Real Estate services to share PDF documents with PDF Forms.

 

Best of all, these businesses can barely use them, if at all to any effective level. I have no problem charging $100+ an hour to set up Imap based mail accounts for them. They are technically illiterate and that continues to show no matter the generation. Geeks of all generations should not fear that the vast majority of consumers are technically illiterate. Job security.

post #116 of 189
The iPad 4 was really just a placeholder to introduce the lightning connector.

They should be able to very easily reduce weight and bulk by moving to a single backlight and making the bezel more like the iPad mini. I absolutely love my iPad 3 but it could be so much lighter.

They are winning the tablet space but will need to update more frequently if they are going to stop other from nipping at their heels.
post #117 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

No, you didn't clarify your statement, I made a rebuttal and gave it conditions based on the interpretation you took, your reply to my rebuttal collapsed the uncertainty into a single interpretation, and I finished by reconfirming that as such. 

And I never claimed the iPad Mini was more expensive to manufacture. 

Thing about strawmen is that if you get a big enough pile, it only takes a single match. Sort of an acidic way to live, or at least hold conversations. That's not the word I want, but tanj if I can remember it or anything else ever

Really? Maybe you'd better go back and read your post #95.

I had stated the following - and you highlighted it to show that it was the part you were responding to:
"the fact that it is smaller* is what allows Apple to sell it for less"

Your response was:
Quote:
Do we know this*? Doesn't sound right to me, particularly since we've seen a viable alternative both with the iPhone and the iPad itself.

Size isn't the only* factor in price, and quite often we see that smaller size increases, rather than decreases, price.

That sure sounds like you're saying that the iPad Mini would be more expensive to manufacture than the iPad 4 (specifically, you said that it doesn't sound right that it would be less expensive to manufacture). So either you're wrong (again) or your communication skills are sorely lacking.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #118 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

That sure sounds like you're saying that the iPad Mini would be more expensive to manufacture than the iPad 4 (specifically, you said that it doesn't sound right that it would be less expensive to manufacture). So either you're wrong (again) or your communication skills are sorely lacking.

If was made with the same resolution, performance and battery life as the iPad (4) then it's highly likely it would be more expensive to produce.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

 

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

Reply
post #119 of 189
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
That sure sounds like you're saying that the iPad Mini would be more expensive to manufacture than the iPad 4…

 

But I didn't say that, did I? No.

 

I said that smaller things are generally more expensive to produce than their larger counterparts. I said nothing about the iPad mini. In fact, I asked about it specifically, which you've also quoted (but failed to recognize). That may be a written failing on my part, and for that I apologize.

 

Indeed, as Solipsism has pointed out, it seems that even under your interpretation of what I've written, I'm correct, since the iPad mini uses cheaper parts and is not, in fact, a "smaller iPad 4", but rather a smaller iPad 2. I would imagine that it's prohibitively expensive to make a smaller iPad 4. Ah, and there's the word 'price' in another form.


Two years out to kick the price down. Seems like standard behavior for smaller devices.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.
Reply
post #120 of 189
I believe in anew iPad in March, then hope for a iPad mini in June/July iPhone in September/October but if this happened it would be off, but look at it this way.

iPad 5g comes out, with A7 thinner and other goodies
iPad mini 2g comes out A6 and other goodies
iPhone 7g comes out A7 and other goodies
Then if a difference in iPods comes out with iPhone.
This is a as the screen shrinks scheme easily fitting in (if needed) a iPad L (12 inch screen) in January. iPad (10 inch) March. iPad mini (8 inch) June. iPhablet (retarded but 5-6 inch) July or August. iPhone (4 inch) in September. iPhone mini ( for complainers 2.5-3.5 inch) October.
I hope many of these devices never come out yet in 10 years this might be it.
Currently the releases would give plenty of time between each device.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Rumor: Fifth-gen iPad to debut in March with iPad mini design cues