or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'Insatiable demand' for iPad mini drives stock-outs in China
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

'Insatiable demand' for iPad mini drives stock-outs in China

post #1 of 49
Thread Starter 
Customers in both Hong Kong and China have demonstrated considerable interest in Apple's newly launched iPad mini, leading to stock-outs and limited availability.

Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets said his checks in China and Hong Kong have found there is "insatiable demand" for the iPad mini. While Apple's smaller iPad launched in Hong Kong on Nov. 2, nearly all models of the 7.9-inch tablet were completely sold out this week.

And in mainland China, the iPad mini went on sale Dec. 7, where it was also met with strong interest. The iPad mini has also been out of stock at Apple's retail stores in China this week, White said.

"Prior to the China launch, we indicated that the iPad mini would be the 'next big thing in China' and we believe this phenomenon is starting to develop," he said. "In our view, the smaller form factor and lower price point will allow Apple to sell the iPad mini in more meaningful volumes versus the regular-size iPad."

In fact, his checks in both Hong Kong and China have found that the iPad mini has already proven more popular with consumers than the fourth-generation iPad.

iPad mini


As for the iPhone 5, Apple's latest smartphone debuted on Sept. 21 in Hong Kong and Dec. 14 in China. Over the past week, iPhone 5 stock has improved and is now more widely available for walk-in customers in both Hong Kong and mainland China.

"After the Galaxy S III and Galaxy Note I/II became more popular than the iPhone 4S in recent months, our discussions now indicate that the iPhone 5 has recently become the most popular high-end smartphone at the resellers that we spoke with," he said.

Topeka Capital Markets has maintained its 12-month price target of $1,111 for AAPL stock. White is especially bullish on Apple, with a price target nearly twice the company's current trading price, and significantly higher than an average target of $740 among major analysts.
post #2 of 49

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut… one guy in line!

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 49

small hands ?

post #4 of 49

It's funny how popular enormous phones and tiny tablets are becoming.

post #5 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut… one guy in line!

That was the fool who thought he was getting a mini

"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #6 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut… one guy in line!

 

Must quote this. 

 

Works every damn time.    :)

post #7 of 49

I like to imagine it's like Build a Bear workshop, since they're building for the local market.  You get to walk in, select the specs, build it yourself, name it...

 

Happy times.

post #8 of 49

This is good news so that means Apple stock will fall...wait a sec.

post #9 of 49
Shouldn't this article include at least quotes from 3 other analysts claiming Apple has peaked?
post #10 of 49
The seemingly 'insatiable demand' is actually global, isn't it? Apple can't make enough to meet demand worldwide yet. That China is low on stocks just means other people in the world want them too...

Also, since we're right in the midst of an otherwise mostly-global gifting holiday season at the same time as these "checks", it's not surprising stocks might be a bit low pretty much everywhere at the moment. it'll be awhile before Apple satisfies the world's 'insatiable demand' for these products. It isn't only China/Hong Kong...
post #11 of 49

Well we know one thing for sure now. Analysts are lying through their teeth. So which ones are lying? The bulls or the bears? That's what we need to find out. For every positive analyst there is a negative one. Personally I think analysts should be open to lawsuits if their "advice" hurts investors. But I'm pretty sure they can hide behind the old "it's just my opinion" argument.

post #12 of 49

Man, did I ever call this a month ago.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/154670/apples-ipad-dominates-with-71-share-of-chinas-growing-tablet-market#post_2238678

 

 

I paraphrase myself:

Quote:
I too see this in china...so I have no doubt that the iPad and especially the iPad mini and iPhone 5 are going to be a huge hit. Traveling to Beijing on business 50% of the year for me, I can see this daily when there. I don't see a lot of tablets on the subways, but when I do they are iPads [infrequently] or other 7"er's [much more frequently]. with the addition of the mini, I can easily see a huge increase in tablets in china. The mini will also be a huge hit mainly because personal space in public is such a premium. i recall my last trip in particular...daily commutes on the subway having other riders leaning on each other because of the sardine-can like situations at rush hour.

...mini is going make those sales number substantially greater...
post #13 of 49

Based on this news, I expect shares of AAPL to tumble at least 4.5%.

post #14 of 49
M
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155231/insatiable-demand-for-ipad-mini-drives-stock-outs-in-china#post_2251883"]Based on this news, I expect shares of AAPL to tumble at least 4.5%.

Good Apple news = sell
Record breaking Apple news = hold
Earth shattering Apple news = cautious buy
post #15 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

It's funny how popular enormous phones and tiny tablets are becoming.

Yes. I am still thinking the fundamental design for User Experience; Hardware Wise should be different from Eastern Part of the world to Western Part of the world.
Due to culture difference etc...

I would argue Chinese are used to bigger phones simply because Chinese is a complex languages in terms of Fonts. Where Default Font Size is 10 in English most would start with 12 in Chinese. Reading with Small Fonts, no matter how smooth the fonts are, will just causes headache. And that is why Samsung, Or Large screen Phones sold much better in China. In Korea and Japan where the fonts are less complex the pick up rates are better.

Not to mention Asians Play Hell a lot more Console like Video Games in Portable Devices then any other part of the world. Small Screen just dont work on these usage patterns. Of coz these could be solved if apple decide to use the left / right part next to top speaker as buttons and Around the Home Button as Direction Pad. But the chances of Apple doing this is likely zero.
post #16 of 49
Originally Posted by ksec View Post
Not to mention Asians Play Hell a lot more Console like Video Games in Portable Devices then any other part of the world. Small Screen just dont work on these usage patterns.

 

Never had a GameBoy, did you?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #17 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Butbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbutbut… one guy in line!


You puzzle me at times. We don't get a lot of troll responses on here, yet you imagine what they might be.

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Never had a GameBoy, did you?

 

Those didn't rely on a touch screen. They used analogue control pads and a couple buttons. I disagree with the idea that games don't work on an iphone when iphone games are ridiculously popular among kids.

post #18 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post


Yes. I am still thinking the fundamental design for User Experience; Hardware Wise should be different from Eastern Part of the world to Western Part of the world.
Due to culture difference etc...
I would argue Chinese are used to bigger phones simply because Chinese is a complex languages in terms of Fonts. Where Default Font Size is 10 in English most would start with 12 in Chinese. Reading with Small Fonts, no matter how smooth the fonts are, will just causes headache. And that is why Samsung, Or Large screen Phones sold much better in China. In Korea and Japan where the fonts are less complex the pick up rates are better.
Not to mention Asians Play Hell a lot more Console like Video Games in Portable Devices then any other part of the world. Small Screen just dont work on these usage patterns. Of coz these could be solved if apple decide to use the left / right part next to top speaker as buttons and Around the Home Button as Direction Pad. But the chances of Apple doing this is likely zero.

No wonder the iPhone 5 is not selling well in China.../s

 

No wonder the samsung are selling better than the iPad mini which is much bigger than the s3 or note.........../s

post #19 of 49
I honestly have nothing snarky to say. Apple is a highly coveted brand still, and they will never in the next 3 years fulfill the demand for iOS devices there, particularly the "latest" gadgets, since nothing says "f* off I am a successfull person" like the latest Apple and Samsung dangled in front of your hapless subjugates of whatever ethnicity.

Education? Pedigree? Common-sense? Bank account balance? Pfft. Flashing an iPad mini, iPhone, Samsung S3 is all that matters in Asia.

My previous manager in Malaysia had a... not a Tag Heuer but one of those other ones... Used to love to place his hands on the desk just nicely so you couldn't help but notice his expensive watch that regular employees could not afford unless they went without lunch for a month (even then, not even close).

OK, I did have something snarky. Indeed, perhaps not politically correct, but nothing violating the rules of this forum, I assure you. Carry on...

Edit: That's right, it was a Tissot... Not even a fantastic brand, yet he was so up his own a**...
post #20 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post

Not to mention Asians Play Hell a lot more Console like Video Games in Portable Devices then any other part of the world. Small Screen just dont work on these usage patterns. .

If small screens don't work for portable gaming, perhaps you'd like to explain this:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/243542/android_ios_games_rake_in_more_cash_than_sony_and_nintendo.html
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #21 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post

You puzzle me at times. We don't get a lot of troll responses on here, yet you imagine what they might be.

That's what's so awesome. He can troll himself. 1smoking.gif
post #22 of 49
Proves Apple nailed it with their tablet gamble. Despite all the clamor about pricing, Apple's brand value and the quality it produces has driven the sales. When you talk about the mini tab market now, a clear leader would be, if not now at least in some more time, the iPad Mini.
post #23 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpadhiyar View Post

Proves Apple nailed it with their tablet gamble. Despite all the clamor about pricing, Apple's brand value and the quality it produces has driven the sales. When you talk about the mini tab market now, a clear leader would be, if not now at least in some more time, the iPad Mini.

Actually, not really. Nexus 7 has quite a lot of potential. It will see how the iPad mini goes up against Android tablets in 2013. It might be 50-50 by the end of next year.
post #24 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Actually, not really. Nexus 7 has quite a lot of potential. It will see how the iPad mini goes up against Android tablets in 2013. It might be 50-50 by the end of next year.
Since the Nexus 7 is rumored to drop to $99 you might be right.
post #25 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksec View Post


Yes. I am still thinking the fundamental design for User Experience; Hardware Wise should be different from Eastern Part of the world to Western Part of the world.
Due to culture difference etc...
I would argue Chinese are used to bigger phones simply because Chinese is a complex languages in terms of Fonts. Where Default Font Size is 10 in English most would start with 12 in Chinese. Reading with Small Fonts, no matter how smooth the fonts are, will just causes headache. And that is why Samsung, Or Large screen Phones sold much better in China. In Korea and Japan where the fonts are less complex the pick up rates are better.
Not to mention Asians Play Hell a lot more Console like Video Games in Portable Devices then any other part of the world. Small Screen just dont work on these usage patterns. Of coz these could be solved if apple decide to use the left / right part next to top speaker as buttons and Around the Home Button as Direction Pad. But the chances of Apple doing this is likely zero.

 

Your observations about languages and font sizes are interesting, but the increasing popularity of larger phones and smaller tablets is evident in Western countries, too.

post #26 of 49
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
We don't get a lot of troll responses on here…

 

Wow.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #27 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribalogical View Post

The seemingly 'insatiable demand' is actually global, isn't it? Apple can't make enough to meet demand worldwide yet. That China is low on stocks just means other people in the world want them too...
Also, since we're right in the midst of an otherwise mostly-global gifting holiday season at the same time as these "checks", it's not surprising stocks might be a bit low pretty much everywhere at the moment. it'll be awhile before Apple satisfies the world's 'insatiable demand' for these products. It isn't only China/Hong Kong...

Not to mention if his checks are by having someone walk in and try to buy one, it will always be sold out. After the BS over the iPhone 4S and iPad 3 a new 'no walk in sales' system went into effect in iOS devices. In part to try to slow down the resellers attempts to buy out the stocks.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #28 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Since the Nexus 7 is rumored to drop to $99 you might be right.

It will be an interesting test of the iPad mini's design and build quality. The Nexus 7 is the wrong shape, the mini is the right shape. The Nexus 7 is cased in the wrong material, uses the wrong OS, the wrong ecosystem, and generally looks and feels like a good but second-class object.

But it's significantly cheaper. Will that be enough to cause people to make the wrong decision?
post #29 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Since the Nexus 7 is rumored to drop to $99 you might be right.

Makes it Hard to compare if it is really successfull because of the product it self since both companies have different business model. One is making products on bussinss model that makes profit of the selling hardware while the other is business of taking advantage of same product idea and willing to sell it for a loss.
post #30 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

It will be an interesting test of the iPad mini's design and build quality. The Nexus 7 is the wrong shape, the mini is the right shape. The Nexus 7 is cased in the wrong material, uses the wrong OS, the wrong ecosystem, and generally looks and feels like a good but second-class object.
But it's significantly cheaper. Will that be enough to cause people to make the wrong decision?

Nexus 7 is the right shape. The mini is the wrong shape. The Nexus 7 has a good glass, nice bevel, and nice "grippy" back. Uses a good, sophisticated OS with Android 4.2, not something from 2010. Looks and feels good. iPad mini feels second-class because the screen is not as good, it's just an iPad "compressed" into 7", 4:3 ratio is a bit weird for watching video, and only a paltry 1024x768 resolution. Gaming-wise Nexus 7 has Tegra 3 which is quite impressive. The iPad mini screen is set a bit too deep from the surface.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zak_the_great View Post

Makes it Hard to compare if it is really successfull because of the product it self since both companies have different business model. One is making products on bussinss model that makes profit of the selling hardware while the other is business of taking advantage of same product idea and willing to sell it for a loss.

I don't think they will drop the price to $99. That is ludicrous.
post #31 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Wow.


I know you used to respond to them all the time. Now it seems like their existence has been maintained on here via proxy, much like the elusive "fandroid".

post #32 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Nexus 7 is the right shape. The mini is the wrong shape. The Nexus 7 has a good glass, nice bevel, and nice "grippy" back. Uses a good, sophisticated OS with Android 4.2, not something from 2010. Looks and feels good. iPad mini feels second-class because the screen is not as good, it's just an iPad "compressed" into 7", 4:3 ratio is a bit weird for watching video, and only a paltry 1024x768 resolution. Gaming-wise Nexus 7 has Tegra 3 which is quite impressive. The iPad mini screen is set a bit too deep from the surface.

1. If a small tablet should be widescreen, then Apple would make a widescreen tablet. They know it's an obnoxious shape to hold in your hand and to read books on. The user comes first in Apple's design ethic.

Widescreen has one use case advantage, movie playback, but that requires distorting the ideal shape just to play mostly trash content. Apple is looking out for the education market far too much to care about that.

2. How much is Google paying you to advertise here?
post #33 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

1. If a small tablet should be widescreen, then Apple would make a widescreen tablet. They know it's an obnoxious shape to hold in your hand and to read books on. The user comes first in Apple's design ethic.
Widescreen has one use case advantage, movie playback, but that requires distorting the ideal shape just to play mostly trash content. Apple is looking out for the education market far too much to care about that.
2. How much is Google paying you to advertise here?

1. So if Apple doesn't do it then it shouldn't be done? You do know the one-handed stuff is a farce with the iPad mini, right? Try using a Nexus 7 one-handed and an iPad mini one-handed. Without Steve Jobs Apple certainly has been trying to be a little too smart. The iPhone 5 is nice but by extending it one's fingers cannot reach the top nav bar for back, forward etc when holding it in one hand. The risk here is the Apple team now taking a few shortcuts or perhaps not seeing the forest for the trees. I think they have some remarkable talent and dedication, no doubt, but will the next Steve Jobs please stand up, please stand up...

2. Sadly, Google does not pay me. I'm just trying to highlight the innovation in the Android space ~ a ton of it by non-Google employees, is really quite interesting. It surpasses the Windows days, the Dot-Com days, the iOS days (barely), and only the early Apple of 2000-2005 surpasses the current activity in Android.
Edited by sr2012 - 12/29/12 at 10:19am
post #34 of 49
Originally Posted by hmm View Post
Now it seems like their existence has been maintained on here via proxy, much like the elusive "fandroid".

 

1000

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone] exists, it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #35 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Nexus 7 is the right shape. The mini is the wrong shape. The Nexus 7 has a good glass, nice bevel, and nice "grippy" back. Uses a good, sophisticated OS with Android 4.2, not something from 2010. Looks and feels good. iPad mini feels second-class because the screen is not as good, it's just an iPad "compressed" into 7", 4:3 ratio is a bit weird for watching video, and only a paltry 1024x768 resolution. Gaming-wise Nexus 7 has Tegra 3 which is quite impressive. The iPad mini screen is set a bit too deep from the surface.
I don't think they will drop the price to $99. That is ludicrous.

Since the mini is 8" not 7", the nexus 7 and the mini both have the same screen height. So when watching a widescreen movie both tablets will show the same size. But for everything else, the mini is better. The pixels density on the nexus 7 is a bit better than the mini, but you still see less when surfing the net.

The cpu on the nexus tablets is good indeed, but the gpu lags behind by a lot. Bottom line the mini outperform the nexus 7 and the ipad 4 runs circles around the nexus 10.

I have no problem holding a mini with one hand...

The problem with the spec freaks is all they care about is stats, even when the specs dont fit together and there is a major bottleneck. Good example of this would be tablet memory specs, cpu vs gpu imbalance, weight and build quality being undervalue or discard.
Edited by herbapou - 12/30/12 at 2:35pm
post #36 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

1. So if Apple doesn't do it then it shouldn't be done? You do know the one-handed stuff is a farce with the iPad mini, right? Try using a Nexus 7 one-handed and an iPad mini one-handed. Without Steve Jobs Apple certainly has been trying to be a little too smart. The iPhone 5 is nice but by extending it one's fingers cannot reach the top nav bar for back, forward etc when holding it in one hand. The risk here is the Apple team now taking a few shortcuts or perhaps not seeing the forest for the trees. I think they have some remarkable talent and dedication, no doubt, but will the next Steve Jobs please stand up, please stand up...
2. Sadly, Google does not pay me. I'm just trying to highlight the innovation in the Android space ~ a ton of it by non-Google employees, is really quite interesting. It surpasses the Windows days, the Dot-Com days, the iOS days (barely), and only the early Apple of 2000-2005 surpasses the current activity in Android.

The "hold it in one hand" feature is a phone thing imo, i see the advantage of being able to dial with one hand, but seriously whats the point of editing a photo with one hand like shown in the apple ad... I hope Apple will wake up and realise "phones" are used less for phone calls and more for computer task and texting. At some point apple will have offer a bigger screen model or lose the market.

Btw i have no problem reaching all the iphone 5 screen with my thumb. You do need to change the grip a bit, but its very doable.

I have play a bit with the new android 4.2 os. Great os really, i could manage to figure out a lot of things but IT is my job so its easy for me. The problem is see with android phone users and tablets users is how they are completly lost on how there device works. They dont know how to put music on them, how to tranfert pics to the pc, how to buy an app, how organize icons, change settings.... Forget about using the nfc chip and skake there phones to transfert files or play a video on a tv.

A lot of users still want something very simple, and android is moving away from it. Great features yes, but i am not sure its design for average users. No wonder geeks prefer android.
Edited by herbapou - 12/29/12 at 12:17pm
post #37 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

I'm just trying to highlight the innovation in the Android space.

From all the strong responses I have read over these past few months I say you are failing. And that includes my responses, for which I apologise. But you need to understand that most people here aren't interested in Android innovation, things tend to be put down quite fast. "Just saying"
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
Reply
post #38 of 49
As far as I can understand, Apple sold 11 times more iPad minis than Google/Acer sold Nexus 7. Yet, tech magazines continue to tell us that Google is a serious competitor for Apple in the tablet arena, and "analyst" seems to get this story. This should be a new wave in the statistics field.
post #39 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

1. So if Apple doesn't do it then it shouldn't be done?

No, I'd say it should be done by everybody but Apple, so we can see the difference between slavery to a stupid movie format (16:9) for a tablet and good design for human beings.

When it comes to one of their tablet's aspect ratio, size and shape, they have the best designers giving these crucial questions the most attention. That's why they come out different from everybody else. Even with Steve Jobs gone. He left enough people behind who know how to think in visual and tactile terms.

As for using the 4-inch iPhone screen one-handed, you're holding it wrong. Choke up on it, as Gruber says.
post #40 of 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

The "hold it in one hand" feature is a phone thing imo, i see the advantage of being able to dial with one hand, but seriously whats the point of editing a photo with one hand like shown in the apple ad... I hope Apple will wake up and realise "phones" are used less for phone calls and more for computer task and texting. At some point apple will have offer a bigger screen model or lose the market.

I'm sure that if you were to give it a second thought, you, as much as anyone here, knows that Apple is aware they're selling pocket computers that happen also to be phones.

My question is, could or would they give the iPad mini phone capability, or will they bring out an in-between size to satisfy the larger-screen fans? Or will they just forget about the Galaxy-twisted taste for bulging pockets?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPad
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPad › 'Insatiable demand' for iPad mini drives stock-outs in China