or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NYC mayor blames increase in crime on demand for Apple products
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

NYC mayor blames increase in crime on demand for Apple products - Page 2

post #41 of 99
I hope San Jose, California is taking notice. My house was burglarized a few months ago. I went to the police department with my MacBook Air in hand and showed them the location of my stolen iPad, using Find My Phone.

"Sorry, we can't help you."

"But it's right there. RIGHT THERE!"

"Sorry, but it could be that house next to it. We just can't be sure."

"Why not just go knock on the door?"

"Sorry sir, we're cops and have big egos. Since this crime would be one that we didn't solve ourselves, we won't allow citizens to just come in and do our jobs for us. Also, we're fighting with City Hall to get more cops hired and to prevent the Mayor from gutting our pensions. Any positive crime-fighting news, such as a higher solve rate for burglaries, for example, and it would work against our we're-understaffed argument. Sorry."
post #42 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs View Post

http://hideapod.com

Cool!

PS still can't thumb up from an iPad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

He noted that mobile devices from Apple's competition, such as Samsung, were not included in the Apple-only figures.

Huh? Apple-only figures would include just that, not mobile devices from the competition. What am I missing here?
Quote:
The mayor advised that that citizens should keep their Apple products in an interior pocket, making the device harder to reach and also making it easier to tell if someone has reached in to steal it.

Huh#2? "...making it easier to tell if someone has reached in to steal..."

'In the words of the Virgin Mary, Come again?'
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #43 of 99
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post
PS still can't thumb up from an iPad…

 

Switch to the mobile site!

post #44 of 99

No worries. Bloomberg has a plan! New Yorkers will now be in much better physical shape to run after the thief to retrieve their stolen iPhones… positive outcome of the soda tax.

post #45 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

I think people aren't really listening to the real message of this story.  It looks like NYC wants to help stop the stealing of apple devices, however they need help from apple owners.  A big part of the blame is likely the huge subsidies that phone makers pay for phones, but another part of the problem is how easy it is to sell stolen apple products.  Most people who have a phone think of it as costing $200 at most, and don't consider the $500 that the carriers are putting toward it.  If they realized they were holding a $700 device, they might be more careful about flashing it around in public.  People know better than to flash around expensive jewelry on a subway, or show that you're carrying a bunch of money etc.  Why shouldn't they be equally careful with their phones?  And the city is trying to convince people to do that. Phones and tablets should be guarded more carefully.  Throwing a phone in a loose coat pocket while on the subway is not a smart idea.

 

As far as what apple has to do with it, it's all due to apple's popularity.  It's not that an iphone is inherently that much more valuable than an android phone, but rather that it's SO easy to unload a stolen iphone because there are so many used iphones for sale.  If a particular model of an android phone gets stolen, checking craigslist and pawn shops for that particular model might be an effective strategy, as there likely aren't too many used models for sale.  iPhones are so popular, and have so few models that unloading one is a breeze.  Likely with no questions asked whatsoever.  

 

Really, the people who should take the most away from this are A: apple product owners who need to be more careful, and B: insurance agencies who should looking into charging apple product owners more because of the increased crime associated with apple products.

 

Phil

 

Don’t be ridiculous Phill. Next thing you propose is for every iPhone owner to buy a gun to protect your smartphone. Give me a break. The only message Bloomberg is sending with this statement is: “Don’t blame me for increased crime in NYC, it’s Apple”. We live in the 21st century. All we need is a solid device ID tracking system that blocks stolen phone IDs with any provider across the globe. Period

post #46 of 99
Originally Posted by r1sko View Post
The only message Bloomberg is sending with this statement is: “Don’t blame me for increased crime in NYC, it’s Apple”.

 

That's probably a valid interpretation of what is happening here.

 

It's also a massive load of hoo-ha.


We live in the 21st century. All we need is a solid device ID tracking system that blocks stolen phone IDs with any provider across the globe.

 

Define "stolen". Police this system for false-positives. Manage reselling. Can you do it?

post #47 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Times Square was better before. It was interesting, it was shady, there were many porn shops and funny characters there. It certainly had a vibe. It wasn't family friendly, but screw families. 

 

Now, it's sanitized, it's sterile, it's boring, it's all commercialized, taken over by big name chains, everything is over-priced and it's where tourists walk around way too slowly as if they're in some sort of Disneyland. I tend to avoid Times Square if I can help it

Porn has moved to the internet. You can find funny characters in NYC anywhere. Time Square was unclean, disgusting with garbage everywhere. Commercialized as some may think but it fits better with the Broadway theaters around the area and Central Park just above it. Traffic flow is much better with some lanes sectioned off for turning. Alot of streets around the boroughs are newly paved.

 

Your seedy aspect of the city isn't all gone. People are still being pushed on to the subway tracks by the mentally ill.

post #48 of 99
Welcome to the USA. We blame all of our social problems on anything but the core traits of our society.
post #49 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Switch to the mobile site!
Oops, my bad. Was using the mobile site on my desktop, and the mob ...aaah. Thanks
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #50 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1sko View Post

All we need is a solid device ID tracking system that blocks stolen phone IDs with any provider across the globe. Period

That's already in place
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Equipment_Identity_Register
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
Send from my iPhone. Excuse brevity and auto-corrupt.
Reply
post #51 of 99

 

Here's the rub:

 

it is not supposed to work
post #52 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

Welcome to the USA. We blame all of our social problems on anything but the core traits of our society.

It's humanity, or humans, as a whole and has nothing to do with one set of people from a single nation.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #53 of 99
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post
Bacon for president!!

 

I beg to differ.

 

1000

post #54 of 99

In other news, Mayor Bloomberg blames Honda for car thefts in New York City:  Hondas Stolen Most Often in New York City (WSJ.com)

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply

   Apple develops an improved programming language.  Google copied Java.  Everything you need to know, right there.

 

    AT&T believes their LTE coverage is adequate

Reply
post #55 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

I think people aren't really listening to the real message of this story.  It looks like NYC wants to help stop the stealing of apple devices, however they need help from apple owners.  A big part of the blame is likely the huge subsidies that phone makers pay for phones, but another part of the problem is how easy it is to sell stolen apple products.  Most people who have a phone think of it as costing $200 at most, and don't consider the $500 that the carriers are putting toward it.  If they realized they were holding a $700 device, they might be more careful about flashing it around in public.  People know better than to flash around expensive jewelry on a subway, or show that you're carrying a bunch of money etc.  Why shouldn't they be equally careful with their phones?  And the city is trying to convince people to do that. Phones and tablets should be guarded more carefully.  Throwing a phone in a loose coat pocket while on the subway is not a smart idea.

As far as what apple has to do with it, it's all due to apple's popularity.  It's not that an iphone is inherently that much more valuable than an android phone, but rather that it's SO easy to unload a stolen iphone because there are so many used iphones for sale.  If a particular model of an android phone gets stolen, checking craigslist and pawn shops for that particular model might be an effective strategy, as there likely aren't too many used models for sale.  iPhones are so popular, and have so few models that unloading one is a breeze.  Likely with no questions asked whatsoever.  

Really, the people who should take the most away from this are A: apple product owners who need to be more careful, and B: insurance agencies who should looking into charging apple product owners more because of the increased crime associated with apple products.

Phil

Exactly. Someone gets it, at least part of it.
post #56 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Apple 
[" url="/t/155233/nyc-mayor-blames-increase-in-crime-on-demand-for-apple-products/30#post_2251908"]Do you live in NYC?

The dude is more ban happy than Hitler when it comes to certain issues, like cigarettes and certain food/drink items. And I'm not just throwing Hitler in to this conversation because I'm trying to godwin the topic. I'm throwing it in, because it happens to be a fact. Go look it up if you are unaware of history. Americans don't need any hypocritical politicians dictating to them what they are allowed to eat or not. Bloomberg has an authoritarian and dictatorial streak that is downright un-American. Bloomberg should take his dictator fetish and take over some third world country, where the people are accustomed to dictators and other sorts of douchebags.

I also remember when a car bomb went off in Times Square a few years ago. The idiot mayor speculated that it might be some "tea party" member with an axe to grind, while almost everybody else with a functioning brain knew exactly who was behind it, as soon as it happened. Did the idiot Bloomberg forget about a certain terrorist attack against the city a decade or so ago, where certain iconic buildings were completely destroyed? 

Regardless of what you say, bringing Hitler into any forum here is not one of your better moments. I'm sorry for you.
post #57 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cool!
PS still can't thumb up from an iPad...
Huh? Apple-only figures would include just that, not mobile devices from the competition. What am I missing here?

I loved that bit. My read on it was that they didn't bother to count the stats on any other model. Just Apple stuff. Which could perhaps show that there were just as many reports of theft for said devices. Meaning the issue isn't iPhones so much as smartphones

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #58 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That's already in place
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Equipment_Identity_Register

Trouble is that not all carriers support it.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #59 of 99
Everyone who owns an iPhone should be allowed to carry gun.
post #60 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

 

Times Square was better before. It was interesting, it was shady, there were many porn shops and funny characters there. It certainly had a vibe. It wasn't family friendly, but screw families. 

 

Now, it's sanitized, it's sterile, it's boring, it's all commercialized, taken over by big name chains, everything is over-priced and it's where tourists walk around way too slowly as if they're in some sort of Disneyland. I tend to avoid Times Square if I can help it.


I remember it being the way you're describing it at least a decade ago. How far back are we talking?

post #61 of 99
And I blame my iPhone being stolen on the police being more worried about towing cars than stopping crime occurring in the streets.
post #62 of 99
How about blaming crime on all the sleazeball perpetrators? Stop making excuses for the thugs who commit crimes, please.
post #63 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post


That's already in place
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Equipment_Identity_Register

I wrote SOLID tracking system for a reason. if CEIR and IMEI were effective who would activate the thousands of stolen phones?

post #64 of 99
Crime is on increase because of Obama! Not apple
post #65 of 99
Don't blame crime on the fact that people have nice things. It's up to the authorities to protect your things whether they're nice or not.
post #66 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1sko View Post

I wrote SOLID tracking system for a reason. if CEIR and IMEI were effective who would activate the thousands of stolen phones?

From what I recall about S. Korea the IMEI is a great measure you just need to have laws that require the carriers to verify an IMEI is clear and register it with the user prior to activation.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #67 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by philgar View Post

I think people aren't really listening to the real message of this story.  It looks like NYC wants to help stop the stealing of apple devices, however they need help from apple owners.  A big part of the blame is likely the huge subsidies that phone makers pay for phones, but another part of the problem is how easy it is to sell stolen apple products.  Most people who have a phone think of it as costing $200 at most, and don't consider the $500 that the carriers are putting toward it.  If they realized they were holding a $700 device, they might be more careful about flashing it around in public.  People know better than to flash around expensive jewelry on a subway, or show that you're carrying a bunch of money etc.  Why shouldn't they be equally careful with their phones?  And the city is trying to convince people to do that. Phones and tablets should be guarded more carefully.  Throwing a phone in a loose coat pocket while on the subway is not a smart idea.

As far as what apple has to do with it, it's all due to apple's popularity.  It's not that an iphone is inherently that much more valuable than an android phone, but rather that it's SO easy to unload a stolen iphone because there are so many used iphones for sale.  If a particular model of an android phone gets stolen, checking craigslist and pawn shops for that particular model might be an effective strategy, as there likely aren't too many used models for sale.  iPhones are so popular, and have so few models that unloading one is a breeze.  Likely with no questions asked whatsoever.  

Really, the people who should take the most away from this are A: apple product owners who need to be more careful, and B: insurance agencies who should looking into charging apple product owners more because of the increased crime associated with apple products.

Phil

The bolded part is true.

The italicized part is nonsense (other than, of course, the fact that insurance companies set your premiums based at least partially on the value of what they're insuring).
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #68 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I suspect that it isn't skewed due to apple being more stolen but rather android and flip phones are generally so cheap it's not worth the time and effort to file a police report etc to get your insurance to pay to replace. Folks just buy a new one out of their pocket.


Why would a criminal steal something that they know was nearly worthless vs something they know is worth over $200?  They are not stealing junk phones so they can take them to radio shack and recycle them, they are specifically stealing more valuable Apple products for resale.

post #69 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

What kind of bacon!!!? C'mon, there's only one kind of real bacon (note my user tag). Now pour some maple syrup on that!

It's not called Canadian bacon in Canada, I don't even think it's called bacon at all. It's really just ham.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #70 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

The bolded part is true.
The italicized part is nonsense (other than, of course, the fact that insurance companies set your premiums based at least partially on the value of what they're insuring).

It's not totally that far fetched. Bike locks with guarantees that your bicycle won't get stolen are exempt if you live in NYC.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #71 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmm View Post


I remember it being the way you're describing it at least a decade ago. How far back are we talking?

Up until the mid 90s before then it was sleaze bag city and much more fun.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #72 of 99
Typical Bloomberg. Don't blame the criminals, blame the victims.
post #73 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportyguy209 View Post

Typical Bloomberg. Don't blame the criminals, blame the victims.

I would say a good amount of the thefts are crimes of opportunity, kinda like leaving your car running unattended. You'd be surprised how many people will commit a crime when given the chance to do so very easily
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #74 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

It's not called Canadian bacon in Canada, I don't even think it's called bacon at all. It's really just ham.

You're half or 33% right. Most Canadians won't understand this, ironically.
post #75 of 99

My iPhone 5 stole my heart. I sentenced it to execution of my apps and iForgave it.

post #76 of 99

What?? Breast feeding is required by law in New York?? I hope there is no age limit!!!!

 

The solution to the theft in iPhones can be solved by Apple. They need to get away from the thinner iPhone 5 and go back to the thicker form factor of the iPhone 4. In the extra space inside they need to fill it with plastic explosive. On the "Find My Phone" app they need to make the choices "Play Sound", "Lost Mode"(lock), "Erase My iPhone" and "Detonate".

post #77 of 99
Not satisfied with taking away citizens' Second Amendment rights, Bloomberg has gone after the First Amendment's guarantees of freedom of expression. Register your electronic devices. Then monitoring what you do with those devices. Finally, bans and confiscation. Limiting your access to advanced communications will be rationalized by pointing out the vast problems caused by Internet fraud, identity theft, flash mobs, etc. The mainstream media, eager to regain absolute control over everything you see and hear, will gleefully report every crime committed on an unregulated information marketplace. Horror stories will abound. Perverts. Invasions of privacy. Cell phones causing gas stations to explode.

Soviet communism could not withstand the fax machine. They could not restrict access to fax machines without falling behind the West technologically. But allowing access to fax machines meant that it was much harder to hide the failings of the communist system. Between a rock and a hard place, communism was unsustainable. It fell.

The first successful revolution by texting was in the Philippines. And it happened more than once there.

You think Bloomberg has not noticed this? He wants dissent shut down. This is but one of many tactics that he will use to do it.
post #78 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post


Up until the mid 90s before then it was sleaze bag city and much more fun.


That explains it. Thanks.

post #79 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

 

This is just part of Bloomberg's and Kelly's attempt to turn NYC into a surveillance state. Why anyone would hand over information about their cell phone to the NYPD with their history of Civil Rights violations is beyond understanding. 

 

While I agree that the NYPD does violate personal liberties, simply taking the serial # of your iPhone is no big deal -- they do the same thing for bicycles for which they also provide a free engraving service.     However, why the police are targeting the line of people who haven't actually bought their iPhones yet doesn't quite makes sense to me.   Wouldn't it have made more sense to target the people coming out of the store with a new iPhone in their hands?

 

Furthermore, unless they happen to catch the robber committing another crime the same day and he/she has stolen iPhones on them, the chances of getting back your iPhone is nil.    I had a car stolen about ten years ago and the cops laughed when I asked if there was any chance of getting it back.  I really don't think they make recovering your iPhone much of a priority.

 

As for NYC, it's the safest large city in the United States.    The murder rate (414) is the lowest it's been since they started keeping detailed crime statistics in 1963, 70% of the victims had criminal records and the vast majority were between people who knew each other. 

 

I see tons of people every day using all kinds of devices on the subways and elsewhere in plain sight.   I'm not sure I'd do that if I were riding the train at 2am, but at other times, I think it's pretty safe.   

post #80 of 99

why are people stealing devices with built in location tracking?

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › NYC mayor blames increase in crime on demand for Apple products