or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › ITC judge: Samsung should post massive bond ahead of US sales ban

ITC judge: Samsung should post massive bond ahead of US sales ban

post #1 of 123
Samsung products found to infringe on certain Apple patents may be subject to a sales ban if the U.S. International Trade Commission affirms and adopts an initial determination filed by one of its administrative law judges, who also recommended the Korean company post a huge bond worth 88 percent of its U.S. smartphone sales.

Judge Pender
U.S. Administrative Law Judge Thomas Pender. | Source: USITC

While the Friday filing does not necessarily mean Samsung will face an import ban, Judge Thomas Pender's recommended determination on remedy and bond could lead to hefty sanctions for the Galaxy maker if the six-member Commission agrees with his findings and adopts the suggested solution.

The recommendations are a continuation of a preliminary ruling handed down by Judge Pender in October which found Samsung to infringe on four Apple design utility patents.

As noted by FOSS Patents' Florian Mueller, the proposed sanctions consist of a U.S. sales ban, a simultaneous cease-and-desist order prohibiting the sale of "commercially significant" quantities of infringing products and a series of bond requirements.

Samsung was originally pushing for a 4.9 percent royalty rate baed on "price differential analysis," but the ALJ suggested a requirement of 88 percent of the value of all mobile phones, 37.6 percent of all tablet computers and 32.5 percent of all media players found to infringe on Apple's patents. The bonds would be posted during the Presidential review period, which would last 60 days following a final ITC decision in favor of a sales ban.

ITC staff said Judge Pender's smartphone bond rate is based on an overweight price differential between the two parties' products as Samsung sells higher volumes of low-priced devices that don't compete with Apple's iPhone. The judge disagreed and pointed to an internal Samsung document that said the U.S. smartphone market was "becoming a Two Horse Race Between Apple & Samsung," suggesting the South Korean tech giant was strategically undercutting Apple's offerings.

ITC Logo

A sales ban and bond remedy may be unlikely, however, as Judge Pender also outlined a number of workarounds Samsung can implement to overcome the proposed sanctions. Also, the Commission may not sign off on the ALJ's recommendations as Apple's case was recently weakened when the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office invalidated one of the patents-in-suit in a non-final office action earlier this month.

The ITC case is separate from the watershed Apple v. Samsung court trial, in which Apple is also seeking a sales ban as part of post-trial proceedings, and an upcoming federal court case scheduled to begin in 2014.

post #2 of 123
What do you know? Maybe the ITC's got teeth.

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #3 of 123
I'll be glad when this is all finally over and the smoke clears. I don't even care anymore who wins or loses I just want to see a result.
post #4 of 123
Well well. The emperor has no clothes, and samscum find the tables turned. Best they scamper away with their tail between their legs and stop with the childish subterfuge. We know what you are. Now get on doing something that isn't derived from other peoples thoughts. Even you cheap a$$ed users deserve better.
post #5 of 123
But, but, but Android is winning....

And Apple is DOOMED!!!
post #6 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

Well well. The emperor has no clothes, and samscum find the tables turned. Best they scamper away with their tail between their legs and stop with the childish subterfuge. We know what you are. Now get on doing something that isn't derived from other peoples thoughts. Even you cheap a$$ed users deserve better.

If it wasn't for Samsung, WP7, and even Palm might have been doing better, both of which weren't iOS rip-offs. If it wasn't for Samesung, maybe even the Nexus line of phones would be doing decent, which while largely an iOS ripoff through Android, at least had differentiating hardware.
post #7 of 123
I'm lost... I thought some of the inflecting Patents got declared null and void? Where does that stand in relation to this and the California Apple v Samsung case?

[Forum Signature]  I have no signature.  [Forum Signature]

[Forum Signature]  I have no signature.  [Forum Signature]

post #8 of 123
You'd be surprised for me to say this, but Samsung deserves this. I still think though Schmidt and Google should balls up and take some of the heat instead of cruising by untouched.
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

But, but, but Android is winning....
And Apple is DOOMED!!!

Sorry to burst your bubble, but none of this stops Android's momentum and inevitable eclipsing of Apple on both smartphones (already) and tablets (within 2 years max).
post #9 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Judge Thomas Pender's recommended determination on remedy and bond could lead to hefty sanctions for the Galaxy maker if the six-member Commission agrees with his findings and adopts the suggested solution.

If a jury member has any knowledge on a case for which they are doing their jury task they are expelled, but it's ok for a judge to make recommendations to the Commission on which way to take a ruling? That doesn't seem right. Then again, the American legal system doesn't seem right. To me, without any knowledge on law, so things might be very logical if you studied law.
Quote:
A sales ban and bond remedy may be unlikely, however, as Judge Pender also outlined a number of workarounds Samsung can implement to overcome the proposed sanctions.

A judge outlining workarounds. Around the law? Wow. Just wow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr2012 View Post

Sorry to burst your bubble, but none of this stops Android's momentum and inevitable eclipsing of Apple on both smartphones (already) and tablets (within 2 years max).

And I hope we get to see that sooner even! Just think how few people will visit this site if Apple only has single-digit smartphone & tablet market share. I'd love that!
post #10 of 123
Quote:

Eclipsing the iPad by Jan 2015 MAX?  LOL.

Despite the older slower hardware the iPad Mini is faster than the Nexus 7 at a lot of things.  With an A6 + retina update next year it'll be a no compromise tablet.

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/iPad/Need+for+Speed%3A+Most+Wanted/feature.asp?c=46679

post #11 of 123
Quote:

Why does it even matter when a majority of users (who just want cheap gadgets) are using the OS they really don't care about. Is that something to boast?
post #12 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah because Apple's the only company that ever sues. 1rolleyes.gif
Samsung seeks a ban on sales of Ericsson products in the US
LG LOOKS TO BAN SAMSUNG TABLET IN SOUTH KOREA

Soon, all smartphones and tablets will be banned.
post #13 of 123

you can't be that naive

post #14 of 123
Why so many trolls on this thread?
post #15 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by clan View Post

Why so many trolls on this thread?

Cuz ain't shit goin on in Android world yo
post #16 of 123
Quote:

There's absolutely no indication that Android will be eclipsing anything in tablets. It's even way behind the Kindle Fire, which is way behind the iPad. And the dynamic in the tablet market is completely different than the smartphone market, where we have carriers pushing hardware that they make more money on and can more completely control and observe the user experience, so you can't even make a valid argument by analogy.

Androids ascendance in the smartphone market is, as well, quite soft. There's no buy in to any ecosystem, most people don't actively choose Android it's sold to them, and for large numbers of them their next smartphone is an iPhone. The only area where Android has any solid advantage is in cheap "smart" feature phones, which don't benefit Google at all because these people aren't really using Google services (or, the Internet at all) and they aren't worth advertising to if they were.

post #17 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

There's absolutely no indication that Android will be eclipsing anything in tablets. It's even way behind the Kindle Fire, which is way behind the iPad. And the dynamic in the tablet market is completely different than the smartphone market, where we have carriers pushing hardware that they make more money on and can more completely control and observe the user experience, so you can't even make a valid argument by analogy.

Androids ascendance in the smartphone market is, as well, quite soft. There's no buy in to any ecosystem, most people don't actively choose Android it's sold to them, and for large numbers of them their next smartphone is an iPhone. The only area where Android has any solid advantage is in cheap "smart" feature phones, which don't benefit Google at all because these people aren't really using Google services (or, the Internet at all) and they aren't worth advertising to if they were.

When I say Android tablets I am including Kindle Fire because the stats show including Kindle etc. we're looking at 50-50 share by end of 2013.

Fair enough if the tablet market indeed is different than smartphones so it will be interesting to see what happens in 2013. I remain of the opinion in any case, that we're at the start of a smartphone-like competitive environment. Kindle on one side, Nexus 7, 10, etc. on the other, and iPad in the third corner. Android tablets still need everybody to go to at least Android 4.2 for things to be worthwhile (that's why Asus and Samsung haven't done well, their offerings on Ice Cream Sandwich are still very laggy). Additionally, more developers need to make good tablet apps and transition from just smartphone apps. So I guess I'm predicting that there's an opportunity there that people are going to want to take advantage of, and as such Kindle and Android will form a good 50% of tablets by the end of 2013 vs iPad.

According to Wikipedia, "As of October 2012, about 7 million units have been sold according to estimates by Forrester Research, making the Kindle Fire the second-best-selling tablet after the iPad."

Additionally, Nexus 7 alone is said to be doing 1 million units per month. Not fantastic compared to iPad, but here we have a smartphone-esque situation where basically iPad will go up against every tom, dick and harry.

Not saying this is a "war" or Apple is "doomed", just laying out the situation as I see it.

As for the smartphone market, I have to say you're way off base. It may have started as cheap smart feature phones but with Samsung S2, S3, HTC One X, Droid, Nexus 4, we're seeing Android go toe-to-toe with iPhone. For many people, their next smartphone is iPhone or Android. For the older generation, probably iPhone. The younger generation, probably Android. Globally, yes the Android numbers are inflated somewhat because of cheaper Android phones. But in Western countries and developing countries increasingly, the "flagship" Android phones are coming into force. As for ecosystem, let me just say that after a few months tinkering with Android and now finally using a HTC One X as my primary phone, I wouldn't go back to the Apple ecosystem, nor need to at this stage. The buy-in to Android with the higher-end Android phones is quite big. Because now I wouldn't go back to iPhone because I'd lose the screen size and screen quality, flexibility, customisation, and high level of sophistication. Yes, there's some bugs and lag to deal with but with Android 4.1 and particularly 4.2, Google and manufacturers have made some very significant strides.

Of course, this is all a very recent turnaround for Android only with Android 4.0 and particularly 4.1 and soon 4.2. It is very, very recent but it is happening. Google and manufacturers have looked closely at lag, battery life, overall experience, ability to get updates, etc. and know this is what will make or break them. Not so much Google, but you get my drift.
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

Why does it even matter when a majority of users (who just want cheap gadgets) are using the OS they really don't care about. Is that something to boast?

This is a misconception. Top-notch Android phones are not cheap gadgets any more. Mid-range Android phones can be just cheap, but some can be excellent value, eg. HTC One X (One X Plus is more expensive, not that the One X itself is cheap by any stretch of the imagination).

As for "OS they don't care about"? It's the same now for both iOS and Android. Some care a lot, some don't care as long as it is an iPhone (or Android).
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Cuz ain't shit goin on in Android world yo

I hang out on AppleInsider for old times' sake and to keep abreast of various developments in the tech world (I don't read Giz, Engadget, TechCrunch, etc) ... But, guess what, I do spend more and more time on Android Central Forums.

You wouldn't ~BELIEVE~ the shit goin' on in Android world now. Android is totally blowing up right now (let me cut you off before you reply with a snarky rejoinder to "blowing up").

But for people living in the ~Real World~ ... 2013 will see some very interesting Android developments. iPhone and iPad won't go anywhere, they'll still be world class. But the lustre may come off a little as it is now. That's all I'm saying.

Just six months ago I was Android-bashing heavily on these here forums. Then the MBP 15" Retina came out. I tried it, returned it. The iPad 3 came out before that, I got it, and it's nice, but I was taken aback by it getting bigger and heavier than the iPad 2. Recently I got a MacBook Air 13", very very nice, but one niggle is the colour, deep reds do not exist. iPhone 5... got it, nice, but just doesn't have that je ne se quois (spelling?). Recently took some time to tinker with the Nexus 7 and Xperia S, suddenly with Android 4 it is quite viable. Got a HTC One X for myself for Christmas, Android 4.1... Very good experience if you put some effort into understanding and optimising your phone (Samsung S3 is solid right out of the box that's probably why it is No. 1 in Android smartphones).
Edited by sr2012 - 12/30/12 at 7:08am
post #18 of 123

Same, I wish it would just end already, no headway is being made in either company anyway.

post #19 of 123
Quote:

This is a misconception. Top-notch Android phones are not cheap gadgets any more. Mid-range Android phones can be just cheap, but some can be excellent value, eg. HTC One X (One X Plus is more expensive, not that the One X itself is cheap by any stretch of the imagination).
As for "OS they don't care about"? It's the same now for both iOS and Android. Some care a lot, some don't care as long as it is an iPhone (or Android)..

For a majority of people here (South-east Asia), it goes like this: the ones who bought iPhone went out of their ways to buy ones. The ones who bought Android just wanna get cheap phones that can do everything iPhone can. Yes, there were some nerds who specifically want Android but they are a very minority. This might be shocking to you and hurts your feeling but it's a reality.
Oh, by the way, even "premium" Android phones like Galaxy SIII is still cheaper than latest iPhone out of contract. Like $100 cheaper without promotion. Couple this with larger screen no wonder who want more bang for their bucks will choose Android instead. Again, majority of them simply don't care about OS unlike the one who bought the iPhone.
post #20 of 123
Originally Posted by archieny View Post
…no headway is being made in either company anyway.

You're sure about that?

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
post #21 of 123
Quote:

Why shouldn't the judge provide workarounds? The judge isn't telling them how to break the law. Rather, the judge is explaining exactly how their product infringes Apple's IP and how to avoid doing so. Seems perfectly appropriate. The law in cases like these is very complicated and guidance from the judge is probably helpful for both parties in terms of drawing the line as to what's acceptable and what isn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by archieny View Post

Same, I wish it would just end already, no headway is being made in either company anyway.

ROTFLMAO

Apple has gotten a $1 B judgment against Samsung (still under appeal, but it's certainly going Apple's way). It looks like Samsung may lose the right to sell all infringing devices in the US - and put up an immense bond (many billions of dollars) in the meantime.

No, no one is making any headway.

One thing that's really funny about this whole mess - is that Samsung either doesn't care about stealing IP or doesn't know better. Look at their latest commercial. A guy and girl are talking about the most recent financial results. The girl is busy watching movies and texting while the guy did all the work. She asks him for a copy of the analysis - and then claims it as her own work.

When combined with all the court cases that have gone against them, it appears as if Samsung is suggesting that IP theft is perfectly OK.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #22 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider 
. Also, the Commission may not sign off on the ALJ's recommendations as Apple's case was recently weakened when the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office invalidated one of the patents-in-suit in a non-final office action earlier this month.

No patent was invalidated. The action was a preliminary finding that the patent might possibly be invalid and therefore would be reviewed to determine. Unlike AI, the ITC and ALJ understand this and it won't be a weakening of anything until the final action. This review is possibly why Pender is calling for the bond. The items under it a likely the very ones that were found guilty under said patent. Posting the bond could be a way to allow them to stay on sale because the damages are being held 'in escrow' if you will for a quick payout to the appropriate side. A number of courts in the EU demand this kind of thing when a company calls for a prelim ban in an allegedly infringing item.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #23 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottleworks View Post

I'm lost... I thought some of the inflecting Patents got declared null and void? Where does that stand in relation to this and the California Apple v Samsung case?

Nope. No patents have been voided. Just out in review. So it does nothing at this point other than give Samsung cause to file a motion to essentially freeze all deadlines to pay etc until the final decision. No promise the judge will grant but we will see.

post #24 of 123
Quote:

If a jury member has any knowledge on a case for which they are doing their jury task they are expelled, but it's ok for a judge to make recommendations to the Commission on which way to take a ruling? That doesn't seem right. Then again, the American legal system doesn't seem right. To me, without any knowledge on law, so things might be very logical if you studied law.

He's making a recommendation, not casting a vote. His position is more like the lawyer that tells the jury they should say yes to the death penalty if they think I killed you in cold blood.
Quote:

No one said that. He could be talking about design work arounds based on what, for example, Microsoft has done. Basically pointing out the other methods so arguments that the elements a obvious and the patent should be void based in that etc are incorrect. Such as the whole 'pinch to zoom' is not the only way to do such a thing. You could have something like do a two finger tap then slide to the left or right. Pull to refresh you could put a button in the corner. And so on

post #25 of 123
Quote:

When I say Android tablets I am including Kindle Fire because the stats show including Kindle etc. we're looking at 50-50 share by end of 2013. ...
... This is a misconception. Top-notch Android phones are not cheap gadgets any more. ...

Well, I don't see any stats showing that, but the Kindle Fire is not Android, nor are any of the Asian Android forks. It's not about ancestry, it's about ecosystems, and none of these share the Google ecosystem.

"Top-notch Android phones," may not be "cheap gadgets" any longer (although, most of them are cheaply built in comparison to the iPhone, even if they are relatively expensive), but the majority of Android phones aren't "top-notch". The majority of android phones are, in fact, cheap gadgets, and the majority of Android users, based on usage stats from a variety of sources, are using them as cheap feature phones, not as smart phones. There is no use of Google's ecosystem, certainly no investment in paid apps (and this latter point is try even for the "top-notch" phones), and no commitment to the ecosystem. That's why Google's position is so soft. No one has any investment in it, it's easy to abandon, and it's often abandoned.

post #26 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

He's making a recommendation, not casting a vote. His position is more like the lawyer that tells the jury they should say yes to the death penalty if they think I killed you in cold blood.

Ah, ok, thanks for the explanation.
post #27 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Quote:

Quote:

No one said that. He could be talking about design work arounds based on what, for example, Microsoft has done. Basically pointing out the other methods so arguments that the elements a obvious and the patent should be void based in that etc are incorrect. Such as the whole 'pinch to zoom' is not the only way to do such a thing. You could have something like do a two finger tap then slide to the left or right. Pull to refresh you could put a button in the corner. And so on

I can't believe so many people are responding to that OPs comments. They are so stupid I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is just a troll trying to yank a chain. I mean; nobody could be as stupid as his comments suggest.

post #28 of 123
Quote:

When I say Android tablets I am including Kindle Fire because the stats show including Kindle etc. we're looking at 50-50 share by end of 2013.
Fair enough if the tablet market indeed is different than smartphones so it will be interesting to see what happens in 2013. I remain of the opinion in any case, that we're at the start of a smartphone-like competitive environment. Kindle on one side, Nexus 7, 10, etc. on the other, and iPad in the third corner. Android tablets still need everybody to go to at least Android 4.2 for things to be worthwhile (that's why Asus and Samsung haven't done well, their offerings on Ice Cream Sandwich are still very laggy). Additionally, more developers need to make good tablet apps and transition from just smartphone apps. So I guess I'm predicting that there's an opportunity there that people are going to want to take advantage of, and as such Kindle and Android will form a good 50% of tablets by the end of 2013 vs iPad.
According to Wikipedia, "As of October 2012, about 7 million units have been sold according to estimates by Forrester Research, making the Kindle Fire the second-best-selling tablet after the iPad."
Additionally, Nexus 7 alone is said to be doing 1 million units per month. Not fantastic compared to iPad, but here we have a smartphone-esque situation where basically iPad will go up against every tom, dick and harry.
Not saying this is a "war" or Apple is "doomed", just laying out the situation as I see it.
As for the smartphone market, I have to say you're way off base. It may have started as cheap smart feature phones but with Samsung S2, S3, HTC One X, Droid, Nexus 4, we're seeing Android go toe-to-toe with iPhone. For many people, their next smartphone is iPhone or Android. For the older generation, probably iPhone. The younger generation, probably Android. Globally, yes the Android numbers are inflated somewhat because of cheaper Android phones. But in Western countries and developing countries increasingly, the "flagship" Android phones are coming into force. As for ecosystem, let me just say that after a few months tinkering with Android and now finally using a HTC One X as my primary phone, I wouldn't go back to the Apple ecosystem, nor need to at this stage. The buy-in to Android with the higher-end Android phones is quite big. Because now I wouldn't go back to iPhone because I'd lose the screen size and screen quality, flexibility, customisation, and high level of sophistication. Yes, there's some bugs and lag to deal with but with Android 4.1 and particularly 4.2, Google and manufacturers have made some very significant strides.
Of course, this is all a very recent turnaround for Android only with Android 4.0 and particularly 4.1 and soon 4.2. It is very, very recent but it is happening. Google and manufacturers have looked closely at lag, battery life, overall experience, ability to get updates, etc. and know this is what will make or break them. Not so much Google, but you get my drift.
As for "OS they don't care about"? It's the same now for both iOS and Android. Some care a lot, some don't care as long as it is an iPhone (or Android).
I hang out on AppleInsider for old times' sake and to keep abreast of various developments in the tech world (I don't read Giz, Engadget, TechCrunch, etc) ... But, guess what, I do spend more and more time on Android Central Forums.
You wouldn't ~BELIEVE~ the shit goin' on in Android world now. Android is totally blowing up right now (let me cut you off before you reply with a snarky rejoinder to "blowing up").
But for people living in the ~Real World~ ... 2013 will see some very interesting Android developments. iPhone and iPad won't go anywhere, they'll still be world class. But the lustre may come off a little as it is now. That's all I'm saying.
Just six months ago I was Android-bashing heavily on these here forums. Then the MBP 15" Retina came out. I tried it, returned it. The iPad 3 came out before that, I got it, and it's nice, but I was taken aback by it getting bigger and heavier than the iPad 2. Recently I got a MacBook Air 13", very very nice, but one niggle is the colour, deep reds do not exist. iPhone 5... got it, nice, but just doesn't have that je ne se quois (spelling?). Recently took some time to tinker with the Nexus 7 and Xperia S, suddenly with Android 4 it is quite viable. Got a HTC One X for myself for Christmas, Android 4.1... Very good experience if you put some effort into understanding and optimising your phone (Samsung S3 is solid right out of the box that's probably why it is No. 1 in Android smartphones).

Your 5 minutes in the spotlight are up MOVE ON!!!

post #29 of 123
I wonder what Google would do if Samsung pulled an Amazon and went their own way. We we're talking smartphones there's really only two companies that matter - Apple and Samsung. And I don't think Samsung really gives a shit about Google. All they care about is marketing the crap out of their stuff and taking down Apple.
post #30 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

And I don't think Samsung really gives a shit about Google. All they care about is marketing the crap out of their stuff and taking down Apple.

And finding something new to copy from Apple.
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #31 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why shouldn't the judge provide workarounds? The judge isn't telling them how to break the law. Rather, the judge is explaining exactly how their product infringes Apple's IP and how to avoid doing so. Seems perfectly appropriate. The law in cases like these is very complicated and guidance from the judge is probably helpful for both parties in terms of drawing the line as to what's acceptable and what isn't.

Thanks for the feedback. I just knew it couldn't be what I took it for at first.

That's the good thing at this site: people are kind enough to broaden our minds by showing us there is more to it than what we think.

--
Quote:
Look at their latest commercial.

Pathetic, isn't it?
post #32 of 123

Has anyone done the math as to how many dollars "88 percent of the value of all mobile phones, 37.6 percent of all tablet computers and 32.5 percent of all media players found to infringe on Apple's patents" would add up to? I figure it's a boat-ton but how big a boat?

post #33 of 123

You don't care who wins or loses so how exactly does this affect you when "the smoke clears"? Tired of reading about it? Don't read the news.

post #34 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

If it wasn't for Samsung, WP7, and even Palm might have been doing better, both of which weren't iOS rip-offs. If it wasn't for Samesung, maybe even the Nexus line of phones would be doing decent, which while largely an iOS ripoff through Android, at least had differentiating hardware.

The worst thing that happened for PALM was HP buying it. It destroyed the company, and HP gained nothing for the purchase. Apple actually made a bid for PALM. The rumor was Apple would have continued to let it run. At the time that would have made sense because it would have let Apple offer products on networks competing with AT&T (thereby offering Android a competitor), which Apple was locked to at the time. It would have also allowed Apple to have more shelf space. WebOS also had some nice touches, like a better notification system. People say Apple stole Android's notification system, but Apple hired the notification designer from Web OS and both Apple and Android borrowed from it. 

Samsung also gained heavily from Apple having to bite the bullet and tie itself to AT&T for five years. Samsung was free to gain a hold by copying Apple on Networks where Apple couldn't operate. That five year tie in was the best thing that happened for Android and Samsung. 

post #35 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Why shouldn't the judge provide workarounds? The judge isn't telling them how to break the law. Rather, the judge is explaining exactly how their product infringes Apple's IP and how to avoid doing so. Seems perfectly appropriate. 

Yes, except it is long established that federal courts are not allowed to give advisory opinions.

Further, even if the Court could do what you suggest, it wouldn't be as easy to do as you suggest because one of the work arounds might possibly violate another parties patent. The Court only has the information concerning the at issue patent. The Court would be in a pickle if it suggested a work around that later was found to violate somebody else's patent.. 

post #36 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The rumor was Apple would have continued to let it run.

Apple has closed the doors of many companies they've acquired in the past, although they have kept certain staff on. I still have no idea how HP managed to push through such a purchase without a viable business plan in place. They bought Web OS and fired the only people who understood it.

post #37 of 123
Quote:

Pathetic, isn't it?

Pathetic and truly horrifying. Disgusting.

You can see, though, that they know their market. Narcissists with no taste, smart-ass nerds, plagiarists, people with no ethics, who in turn don't expect any from their "Providers" because they don't know what ethics are.

Thanks for the link, by the way.
post #38 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

The worst thing that happened for PALM was HP buying it. It destroyed the company, and HP gained nothing for the purchase. Apple actually made a bid for PALM. The rumor was Apple would have continued to let it run. At the time that would have made sense because it would have let Apple offer products on networks competing with AT&T (thereby offering Android a competitor), which Apple was locked to at the time. It would have also allowed Apple to have more shelf space. WebOS also had some nice touches, like a better notification system. People say Apple stole Android's notification system, but Apple hired the notification designer from Web OS and both Apple and Android borrowed from it. 

Samsung also gained heavily from Apple having to bite the bullet and tie itself to AT&T for five years. Samsung was free to gain a hold by copying Apple on Networks where Apple couldn't operate. That five year tie in was the best thing that happened for Android and Samsung. 

I remember watching the HP keynote after they purchased Palm. I was elated at the possibilities, as I am certain many others were. Really a shame.
post #39 of 123
Quote:

Pathetic, isn't it?

What can even be said of that? The video epitomizes everything that is wrong with Samsung.
post #40 of 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

What can even be said of that? The video epitomizes everything that is wrong with Samsung.

And everything wrong with the Android demi-monde. This is what sr2012 leaves out of his epic confessional above. Crossing over to the Dark Side means selling youself to an advertising machine, thus loss of integrity, or evidence that you never had integrity. ("I don't mind if Google mines my data, look what I'm getting for free!")

Not to mention getting intimate with forms of plastic and ungodly extrusions that no one of taste would ever associate with. I mean, HTC makes as nice a phone as any Android maker, but what is that awful excrescence that surrounds the camera lens?
Edited by Flaneur - 12/30/12 at 12:20pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › ITC judge: Samsung should post massive bond ahead of US sales ban