or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Samsung teases CES unveiling of HDTV with 'unprecedented new shape'

Samsung teases CES unveiling of HDTV with 'unprecedented new shape' - Page 2

post #41 of 215
Soo, a TV is going to go see its own obsolescence?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If the display is large enough I think it makes perfect sense to move to an even wider display for the home. Blu-ray movies are certainly in the widescreen and for TV viewing you could have the Smart TV UI pop in from the side without affecting the size of the 16:9 display (if designed properly). I think 70 to 80" would be my minimum for that aspect ratio to be feasible.

Having some UI on the ends is an interesting idea, but 2.4:1 is a poor AR for anything other than 'Scope movies, and not all movies are 'Scope. There is nothing native for it, or even a hint of anyone supporting it natively. 16:9 is a very reasonable catch-all AR for many video formats, I don't see any reason to move away from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Don't understand why Apple is delaying the release of it's Television? Maybe supply issues for parts. Any ways I feel that Apple needs to release it before all the features it holds are already incorporated into existing TV's.

Parts can be made anywhere by any number of parts makers.

If they're really doing a TV, they need comprehensive content deals, and I don't see any reason the content owners will go along with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Here ya' go:

...Samsung brings you a new way to experience TV!

Is that a medical camera?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

OLED tv?
IMO I've come to the conclusion that apple should reinvent the cable box/apple tv/A/V switcher etc.. Don't see away to beat them for content control(but what do I know). So... Offer an integrate cable box(including a/v functions) to them.. Sony is missing the boat because they have all the A/V components... Except for the cable box.

OLED isn't a shape though.
Edited by JeffDM - 12/31/12 at 2:20pm
post #42 of 215
Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post
Whatever is different, it was probably stolen.

Steal Different™.

Originally Posted by Slurpy

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

There's just a TINY chance that Apple will also be able to figure out payments. Oh wait, they did already… …and you’re already fucked.

post #43 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

If they were ever privy to Apple's "television plans" (if there were any at the time) they may try to get the jump on Apple by introducing a 4K TV, for example. Frankly, from the looks of the glowing image under the sheet in their CES teaser ad, it looks like it could just be a much thinner set that appears to be attached to two metal rails on both sides. THIS is a major improvement?

Ahh... a 4K TV, is a possibility!

"Swift generally gets you to the right way much quicker." - auxio -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -

"The perfect [birth]day -- A little playtime, a good poop, and a long nap." - Tomato Greeting Cards -
post #44 of 215
Ahh... a 4K TV, is a possibility!

But not "unprecedented". Gotta hold 'em to their own words. They'll never learn otherwise.

Now 4Kx4K would be unprecedented and a new shape. Stupid, but unprecedented.

post #45 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Here ya' go:

...Samsung brings you a new way to experience TV!

Is that a medical camera?

It's a colonoscope for examining the inside of the small intestine...

...With AirPlay, the possibilities are endless...

post #46 of 215
…colonoscope… …endless…

I'm probably the only one who found that funny.

post #47 of 215

There has been a steadily growing buzz around apple tv for some time now and suddenly we have Intel and Samsung picking up the scent. Methinks it's all been a ploy by Tim Cook tricking everyone to jump on the 'reinventing the tv' bandwagon while Apple is in fact about to release some new game changing and groundbreaking product the likes of which will be obviously impossible to do without, once we see it.

post #48 of 215
Quote:

Any idea on what is new? Thinner? Smaller bezel (although that doesn't really refer to shape)? I'm stumped.
It could always fork Android. Imagine Samsung with their own vetted app store that also allows Google Play titles as the user sees fit. i thin that could be a powerful combination that could hurt every other vendor using Android.
lol.gif

Probably OLED TVs again.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
post #49 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

…colonoscope… …endless…

I'm probably the only one who found that funny.

http://media.beta.photobucket.com/user/Kit-Kat-Bar-92/media/Cyanide%20and%20Happiness/colonoscopy.jpg.html?filters%5Bterm%5D=colonoscopy&filters%5Bprimary%5D=images&filters%5Bsecondary%5D=videos&sort=1&o=2

post #50 of 215

Lame! I will not buy a Samsung branded product. I know, I know Samsung supplies some of Apple's components...but not for long! :)

post #51 of 215
Super thin display, cause Apple loves thin. With all the 'guts' in the big pedestal that lifts up the screen so you don't have to hang it on the wall etc

And then Apple will release their new Apple TV box with built in Pico Projector. Now any wall can be your TV screen.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

post #52 of 215
Quote:

Dick, that's just mean!  Also, very funny! :) Made my laugh, thx! :)

post #53 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:
Apple doesn't appear at the annual CES tradeshow, but earlier this month the company's CEO, Tim Cook, did fan the flames on rumors that his company is working on a television set or a expanded set-top box functionality. In an interview with NBC's Rock Center, Cook said current televisions make him feel like he's "gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," and he admitted that the television market is an area of "intense interest" for Apple.

Tim needs to let slip little comments such as,

"underwater communications will soon take off"

or

"I miss the days of drive-in movies. Wouldn't it be great if you could sit in your driveway and watch a movie through car headlights shining on the garage door? Have a party or invite the neighbors on a warm, summer night... Ooops, disregard that. I KNOW NOTHING!!!!"

LOL!   Great ideas!  Maybe you should send Tim a Telegram.

...Let's all go to the lobby...

post #54 of 215
Quote:

They have cameras with a flash the size of a large pill.

You swallow it and it takes a shot every few seconds or so and a computer wirelessly records the data.

post #55 of 215
Quote:

Maybe because they're not making one? *shrug*

They don't really need to rush; that won't happen.

The tech blogs will publish even minor hints at possible R&D projects as they generate page hits. It doesn't surprise me.

post #56 of 215
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
And then Apple will release their new Apple TV box with built in Pico Projector. Now any wall can be your TV screen.

post #57 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Having some UI on the ends is an interesting idea, but 2.4:1 is a poor AR for anything other than 'Scope movies, and not all movies are 'Scope. There is nothing native for it, or even a hint of anyone supporting it natively. 16:9 is a very reasonable catch-all AR for many video formats, I don't see any reason to move away from it.

Neither do I, unless the display is huge, as in at least 70" or 80" as a minimum threshold to make it viable. What I mean is, at some point you don't gain much benefit from growing the display taller but can make remarkable gains in the UX by making it wider. So long as our eyes are placed next to each other a horizontal plane this will remain true.

For example, a 120" TV that is 16:9 is 5' tall and 8.75' wide. At 21:9 It's 4' tall but 9.20' wide. In a very unscientific and subjective test sitting on my couch now about 9' from the TV left to right scanning is more natural than up and down. I think it would be a better experience, just like in the movie theater.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #58 of 215
Quote:

I must be too old because I have yet to understand a single one of these image types.

post #59 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Quote:

They have cameras with a flash the size of a large pill.

You swallow it and it takes a shot every few seconds or so and a computer wirelessly records the data.

Here's routing from the new Google Maps app for iOS:

Good taste * [?] dictates not to upload TBT navigation instructions or Street View images.

* Too Late!

post #60 of 215

the lower portion is for ads 24/7 regardless if you are watching anything on the TV. It's genius, i tell you!

post #61 of 215
Quote:

I must be too old because I have yet to understand a single one of these image types.

SolipsismX, something really off topic for one second... I'm publicly shaming you for betting me that Meg Whitman would be fired from H-P by now. I checked my calendar on the bet we made when Whitman was hired. You lost. lol.gif Happy New Year! 

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #62 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Super thin display, cause Apple loves thin. With all the 'guts' in the big pedestal that lifts up the screen so you don't have to hang it on the wall etc

The projection systems are only getting better

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/26/lg-hecto-laser-tv-projector-to-debut-at-ces-2013-promises-a-1/

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #63 of 215
Quote:

What part of mouths closed and then open is difficult to understand?
post #64 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

There has been a steadily growing buzz around apple tv for some time now and suddenly we have Intel and Samsung picking up the scent. Methinks it's all been a ploy by Tim Cook tricking everyone to jump on the 'reinventing the tv' bandwagon while Apple is in fact about to release some new game changing and groundbreaking product the likes of which will be obviously impossible to do without, once we see it.

Tim Cook: Let's let everybody else waste a bunch of time and money on TV and stumble... while we sit back and refine our plans.

Google TV is 2 years old... didn't Eric Schmidt say we would all be using it by now?

It reminds me of the iPod. Apple certainly didn't invent the MP3 player... but they waited and developed a compelling product.

But Apple didn't stop there... they also made a store to buy music. A simple idea... but they were the ones to do it.

That's one thing people forget about Apple: they don't just make products... they make solutions.

Most companies are lucky to make decent products... but they rarely make an entire ecosystem around those products.

Even Samsung's Chief Strategy Officer realizes this:

"We make really great devices. But actually if you think of our future, it's in answering the question of how we put it all together and how we manage the data that's coming out of these devices and encourage the innovation ecosystem for our platforms."

He added that Samsung would be looking into growth areas constituting of cloud and mobile ecosystem technologies. "If you look at the strengths of Apple, in a way it's not the product per se. It's that consumers like their ecosystem such as iCloud."

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Samsung-Apple-iOS-Android-Ecosystem,19805.html

Whatever Apple is doing in regards to television... (if they are doing anything at all)... they aren't simply making a TV set like any other company can make.

It will go beyond the device.
post #65 of 215
Quote:

Quote:

SolipsismX, something really off topic for one second... I'm publicly shaming you for betting me that Meg Whitman would be fired from H-P by now. I checked my calendar on the bet we made when Whitman was hired. You lost. lol.gif  Happy New Year! 

It appears that the voters of California have more sense than the board and shareholders of HP.

post #66 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Tim Cook: Let's let everybody else waste a bunch of time and money on TV and stumble... while we sit back and refine our plans.

(snip)

Whatever they have planned, it will all suddenly make perfect sense when revealed to the world.

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #67 of 215
Quote:

It appears that the voters of California have more sense than the board and shareholders of HP.

I live in California and I would never agree with that statement. 1wink.gif

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #68 of 215
Quote:

I doubt the bet would have been worded to allow for what is and would I think should have happened. As I sent SpamSandwich in a PM if there was some value to the bet I will gladly pay up.

post #69 of 215
Quote:

SolipsismX, something really off topic for one second... I'm publicly shaming you for betting me that Meg Whitman would be fired from H-P by now. I checked my calendar on the bet we made when Whitman was hired. You lost. lol.gif  Happy New Year! 

Do you have the link or at least the date it was made?

edit: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/137925/hp-says-it-will-build-new-webos-powered-tablets-by-2013#post_2004879

I'd say I have until midnight PT to win the bet. 1wink.gif BTW, I know you said friendly, but I will honour the terms I originally stated. After midnight, if she has not stepped down (or someone hasn't killed her to win a $25 bet) email me your email address and I'll send you a $25 iTunes Store GC. Word is bond!

edit 2: I said Apple Store, not iTunes Store. Your choice but I assume you'd rather have the Apple Store.
Edited by SolipsismX - 12/31/12 at 3:43pm

post #70 of 215

Basically watching something happen and then the reaction thereto. I read his post and then realized that it would entirely solve the "make a stupid panel" problem. Of course it creates a fair number of problems itself (have to create a bulb that won't burn out for the entire lifespan of the device, have to make it high enough resolution and versatile enough to operate at different angles, etc.).

It's less a solution in the middle and more a solution to the side.

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

That part. lol.gif

post #71 of 215
Quote:

Quote:

I live in California and I would never agree with that statement. 1wink.gif

Well... So do I... I didn't mean more sense in general terms -- rather, more sense vis a vis Meg and Moonbeam...

I voted for Meg, FWIW.

post #72 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Yes but how? The iPod worked because people already had large CD libraries they could rip into iTunes and many were stealing music. That gave Apple time to get deals with the music industry. No such luxury with a television.
post #73 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

That part. lol.gif

I can see the differences in the image top to bottom, I just don't get it. They just seem so bland to me that I wondered if there was some backstory to the artwork that I'm not privy too.

post #74 of 215
SOT...

Since today is New Year's Eve -- here's an idea for a midnight celebration that's kind of neat…

Go to the iOS App Store and download real fireworks. There are two versions, and both are free. Get the one without the "free" banner – as it has no ads.

Fire it up on your iPad and play with the various options.

Then at midnight AirPlay it to your Apple TV.

Siri: launch real fireworks.

paRRRTY!
Edited by Dick Applebaum - 12/31/12 at 3:57pm

post #75 of 215
Quote:

I can see the differences in the image top to bottom, I just don't get it. They just seem so bland to me that I wondered if there was some backstory to the artwork that I'm not privy too.

No secrets. Something made their mouths open in awe. Ideally it'd be a Apple device that caused such awe.
post #76 of 215

No developers would want to develop for a forked Android.

post #77 of 215
Quote:

Do you have the link or at least the date it was made?
edit: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/137925/hp-says-it-will-build-new-webos-powered-tablets-by-2013#post_2004879
I'd say I have until midnight PT to win the bet. 1wink.gif BTW, I know you said friendly, but I will honour the terms I originally stated. After midnight, if she has not stepped down (or someone hasn't killed her to win a $25 bet) email me your email address and I'll send you a $25 iTunes Store GC. Word is bond!
edit 2: I said Apple Store, not iTunes Store. Your choice but I assume you'd rather have the Apple Store.

I'd never take anything other than a friendly wager. No need for a gift card, Soli. Have a great New Year!

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #78 of 215
Originally Posted by IronTed View Post
No developers would want to develop for a forked Android.

Amazon seems to do fine.

post #79 of 215
Quote:

Well... So do I... I didn't mean more sense in general terms -- rather, more sense vis a vis Meg and Moonbeam...
I voted for Meg, FWIW.

I'm not completely sure, but I think I voted for Meg as well... I thought you lived in NY?

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

Proud AAPL stock owner.

GOA

post #80 of 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

The english translation of "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS." is "The idiotic nature of SamScum is bad. But it is fighting hard. If it is on its own, Samsung is the best. It has to invest in Bada OS. It has to kick the bloody Android OS."

You could do better than that.

Try again.

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

"Like I said before, share price will dip into the $400."  - 11/21/12 by Galbi

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPod + iTunes + AppleTV › Samsung teases CES unveiling of HDTV with 'unprecedented new shape'