post #41 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by jai151 View Post

Cell phones have had a clock on them since they launched, and I, like many, many others, still wear a watch.  It's more convenient to glance at your wrist than pull out your phone.  It's also easier and less noticeable to do so in a social or business meeting.

Yep, that's just one good reason why many people are eager for a useful smartwatch.   I.e.  one that not only remotes many app / phone info, but also works standalone and has very long battery life.   Alas, so far, I haven't found one with all those qualities yet.

Quote:

Finally, take a look at flexible LCD technology that's on the verge of a widespread launch.  Now pair that with a wide wristband and you have a device approximately the same width as a men's wristwatch at its widest with the same screen real estate as an iPhone 5 with no restriction on movement.

Philips electronics recently showed off such a concept, called the Fluid:

And here's an another flexible phone concept.   Could be handy for wearing in back pockets - grin:

Wearable phones are an old idea. Here is one that IBM showed off back in 2000:

A jewelry set where the microphone is in a necklace, with matching earrings that are tiny headphones.   The ring has an LED indicator to alert you that a call is coming in.   An optional bracelet lets you see who is calling and/or show other data like appointments: