or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors

post #1 of 154
Thread Starter 
Apple is said to be planning to offer customers more choices with the launch of its next-generation iPhone, including multiple colors and sizes, with an earlier-than-expected debut in the May-June timeframe.

Analyst Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets said in a note to investors Wednesday that his checks within the industry have indicated the so-called "iPhone 5S" will come in a variety of colors beyond the current black and white. He expects that the next iPhone will be available in a total of eight colors: the pink, yellow, blue, green, purple, silver and slate shades currently found on the iPod nano, and a (Product)Red model with proceeds benefiting AIDS research.

iPod touch


Beyond the new colors, White also said his industry checks found that a new model could become available in multiple screen sizes. Apple currently sells the 4-inch iPhone 5 alongside the 3.5-inch iPhone 4S and iPhone 4, but the company has never offered multiple screen sizes for a single model.

"We believe this is about to change with the next iPhone offering different screen sizes that we believe will allow Apple to better bifurcate the market and expand its reach," White said. "This eventually opens up the possibility for a lower-priced iPhone (i.e., iPhone mini) with a smaller screen size that could allow Apple to further penetrate markets such as China and open up opportunities in India."

The possibility of different iPhone screen sizes also opens up the opportunity for Apple to build a handset with a larger display. Apple's chief rival, Samsung, has found some success in the market with its Galaxy Note series, which features a 5.5-inch screen with its latest model.

The launch of the iPhone 5 in September marked the first time that Apple has changed the screen size of the iPhone. The new 4-inch screen is slightly taller than the previous 3.5-inch screen, but remains the same width, allowing the handset to be operated with one hand.

As for new colors, White expects that expanded options will also eventually come to the iPad lineup, though no timeframe was given. The iPad mini launched in late October with design cues borrowed from the redesigned iPhone 5 and iPod touch, including an anodized aluminum back, but the device lacks the array of color options found in the iPod touch lineup.
post #2 of 154

8" iPhone, call it the iPhone 5S (7th model).

5.5" iPhone, call it the iPhone mini.

2.5" iPhone, call it the new iPhone.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #3 of 154

More colors like the iPod touch colors?  Maybe an iPhone in the size of the Nano.  Less functionality better portability?  Hmm.  I think Apple should focus more on iPhone brain implants :-).

An Apple man since 1977
Reply
An Apple man since 1977
Reply
post #4 of 154
Both the date and color rumor were around about the 5 last year. Mr White is hardly reliable now anymore than last year.

Personally I'm not believing either rumor or this 'sizes' stuff outside of the now typical $0, $99, $199 layout.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #5 of 154
I don't buy the various sizes for the next iphone rumor. It doesn't make sense to complicate the supply chain. I do see more colors. I don't see a new iphone mini. They will always use the previous generations for that. They've been successful that way.
post #6 of 154

A decent size screen would be very nice. The incremental change of the iPhone 5 just wasn't worth the angst or the money for me to upgrade from the 4S. Like the idea of colours. but serious consideration needs to be given to price of the 4 and 4S with the next release. The Eco system is the killer at the moment but it won't be that way for very much longer. Get folk hooked on the eco system and they'll hang around. If it just the phone then they will come and go like the wind.  

post #7 of 154
Total bull$1t.
post #8 of 154

I believe the rumor in substance. I think the iPhone should have three screen sizes. The original size, the current size, and a slightly larger size. It worked on the music player front. Colors would also be a natural extension of what Apple is doing with its music players. Further, if Apple switches to carbon fiber based products, as is the rumor, colors would be easier. 

 

The reality is Apple likely has to become more aggressive to fend off Android. Google certainly has become more aggressive, and it is also becoming much better at software design than it used to be. Google's new search program's new voice features are nice. It works faster than Siri and the interface is clean. I still largely use Bing, but Google did nice work with the iOS search App. Google's new map program has some user interface problems as well as voice navigation issues, but the overall design is solid (I still prefer Apple's solution). I hope to see Apple improve at software design more quickly. 

post #9 of 154
First, we know that they do MAJOR upgrades every 2 years.. the next one is due to be a 5S, mostly evolutionary based on the 5. The next major release would not be due until 2014, and THAT phone MIGHT offer a new size.. but I doubt it..

If they offer multiple sizes at all, it's not like it would offer 5 different phones.. at BEST, they might offer a 3.5, 4" (like now) and MAYBE a 4.8-5" phone.. but the previous 2 sizes are simply because they would keep the 4S and 5S around.. and I simply do not see them going any larger for the next few releases..
post #10 of 154
Originally Posted by jungmark View Post
I don't buy the various sizes for the next iphone rumor. It doesn't make sense to complicate the supply chain. I do see more colors. I don't see a new iphone mini. They will always use the previous generations for that. They've been successful that way.

 

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #11 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

A decent size screen would be very nice. The incremental change of the iPhone 5 just wasn't worth the angst or the money for me to upgrade from the 4S. Like the idea of colours. but serious consideration needs to be given to price of the 4 and 4S with the next release. The Eco system is the killer at the moment but it won't be that way for very much longer. Get folk hooked on the eco system and they'll hang around. If it just the phone then they will come and go like the wind.  

 

 

Honestly, the screen size might not be a huge deal with the iPhone 5 (at least for some), but it easily blows every other phone Apple has made away. It is noticeably lighter, and incredibly fast. The 4S feels like a brick in comparison. Further, the overall design is improved.

post #12 of 154
take the ipad mini and add a phone feature to it. bigger is better (according to the Samsung fanboys.)
post #13 of 154
I wouldn't have been fine with this a year ago. I'd be fine with this now. I don't think it would hurt Apple to mix things up a bit, including colors/sizes. I definitely was onboard with their reluctance to do this, as well as everyone that agreed the iPhone should stay as 1 size, but the market is changing and I'd be open to change.
post #14 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

 

 

I doubt a 3.8, but a 4.2 maybe. It could also simplify things by coming up with a much smaller screen with limited functionality. For instance, a one or two inch screen more like the older Nano's.

post #15 of 154
I don't buy the multiple sizes either. It's totally unnecessary and complicates matters for application developers.

Frankly, because most people use a case for their iPhone, I'm not sure how important multiple colors are until such time as Apple made an iPhone that was indestructible enough that it didn't need a case.
post #16 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

I disagree that the iPad mini is useless.    Try holding the regular iPad on a subway or the equivalent and compare it to the Mini.    The difference in weight is the important factor in situations where you're not resting the iPad on anything.  

 

In the case of the iPhone, weight is not a factor and the tiny differences in screen sizes are not going to change the experience much.    Therefore, I don't think that we're going to see new models in different sizes. 

post #17 of 154

4" is big enough to me.  But I can see Cook experimenting.  I think to many people Apple has lost it's luster, so they'll probably try a few things like this to come back.  This along with a redesigned OS.

 

Just my .02, but for me, I like the iPhone 5 size and OS just fine.

post #18 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I disagree that the iPad mini is useless.    Try holding the regular iPad on a subway or the equivalent and compare it to the Mini.    The difference in weight is the important factor in situations where you're not resting the iPad on anything.  

 

In the case of the iPhone, weight is not a factor and the tiny differences in screen sizes are not going to change the experience much.    Therefore, I don't think that we're going to see new models in different sizes. 

 

 

I'd agree on the weight of the iPad but if they redesign the iPad as rumored, and it becomes styled like the iPad mini and not as hefty, I see no reason for an iPad mini.  Personally, anyway.  

post #19 of 154
Ugh.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Reply
post #20 of 154
A few thoughts:

1. A bigger iPhone screen isn't as crazy as some people think. The iPad line already has two different UI point densities -- the iPad mini is the same as the iPhone while the iPad has a lower density. A bigger iPhone could follow that model -- the same number of UI points, but a bigger screen, so lower density. This is not as unthinkable as retina-purists might imagine.

2. "complicating the supply chain" is also not as big a deal as people think. The point of having a small number of product models is to benefit from economies of scale (spreading a fixed cost across a large number of units -- supply chain complexity is one of those fixed costs). But Apple is operating at a far greater scale now than it was in 2007 when the iPhone came out. Apple definitely has room here to add more iPhone models while still maintaining a large scale advantage over all competitors. Certainly Apple wouldn't want to go nuts (like Samsung), but adding color options and having three screen sizes is totally feasible while still retaining big scale advantages.

3. There may be a lot of people who really do want a bigger screen with a lower point density. Who are these people? People who are getting older and can't see small text as well anymore (and these people can't appreciate the advantage of "true" retina displays, anyway)
post #21 of 154
Come on , Apple , u are making shamesuck dead ! Without larger screen , what advantage can shamesuck have ?
post #22 of 154
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post
I disagree that the iPad mini is useless.    Try holding the regular iPad on a subway or the equivalent and compare it to the Mini.    The difference in weight is the important factor in situations where you're not resting the iPad on anything. 

 

Weight… and price. I don't agree with weight personally, but I understand the argument behind it and see it as valid. Price I somewhat agree with, therefore I see that argument as valid.

 

The iPad will eventually weigh what the mini does. And the "previous model" iPad could have cost LESS than the iPad mini right now. All they needed to do is drop the iPad 2 to $299. They'll still be making a profit on every single one.

 

But usability is damaged the smaller it goes.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #23 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

You just don't give up, do you?

Apparently, you think you know more than the millions of people buying the iPad Mini and all the people at Apple. Did it ever occur to you that you might just be wrong - especially after so many people have proven you to be wrong?
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
Reply
post #24 of 154
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post
You just don't give up, do you?

 

Usability has been diminished. That's all there is to it.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #25 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

Weight… and price. I don't agree with weight personally, but I understand the argument behind it and see it as valid. Price I somewhat agree with, therefore I see that argument as valid.

 

The iPad will eventually weigh what the mini does. And the "previous model" iPad could have cost LESS than the iPad mini right now. All they needed to do is drop the iPad 2 to $299. They'll still be making a profit on every single one.

 

But usability is damaged the smaller it goes.

 

And larger as well.  I just don't see how a phone larger than 4" is user-friendly.  It certainly isn't pocket-friendly (maybe just my opinion).

post #26 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jragosta View Post


You just don't give up, do you?
Apparently, you think you know more than the millions of people buying the iPad Mini and all the people at Apple. Did it ever occur to you that you might just be wrong - especially after so many people have proven you to be wrong?

 

To be fair, both of you have a regular tendency to use the words "proof" or "prove" or "proved" for matters that are nothing of the kind. 

post #27 of 154

I don't believe any of these rumors for a NY minute, however now that the iPhone is (finally) 16:9 doing different sizes wouldn't be all that hard. 

I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
I'm not a pessimist. I'm an optimist, with experience.
Reply
post #28 of 154
Maybe an iPhone 4x/Mini with the same 3.5 inch screen but a redesigned body based on the iPhone 5's construction techniques, an improved iPhone 5s and an iPhone 5x/Massive (ha ha!) with maybe a 5 to 5.5 inch screen. More colour options seems a natural progression. This would all provide a more up to date range of iPhone's to compete better with Android. And a sleek Apple designed connected watch to complement the iPhone and iPad would be nice too! Wishful thinking aye...
Edited by 1983 - 1/2/13 at 9:47am
post #29 of 154
If Apple wants to "stick it to the carriers," they would do a major model update every 18 months and a minor update every 6 months; this would have people upgrading their phone as early as possible. Very few people will upgrade every year for various reasons they rationalize out, but at 18 months you have a pretty good shot.

Small will be the next big. I think a iPod nano-sized phone would make sense for a lot of people, especially as Siri improves. It will be less of a cost driver and more of a form factor to attract different people.

Sadly though, it is a lot like Samsung's flagship approach.
post #30 of 154
I think they will keep with the 4" design for some time. The last thing that Apple wants to do is frustrate the developers with yet another resolution size to contend with (with the appropriately funky naming schemes to make it work in Xcode).

I think that they might do the colors. That seem plausible. The different screen sizes for the new release of iPhone is just not going to happen.
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
-- Mike Eggleston
-- Mac Finatic since 1984.
-- Proud Member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
-- Wii #: 8913 3004 4519 2027
Reply
post #31 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

 

I don't see how the ipad mini is "uselessly smaller". it's still an ipad an it's more convenient for people to travel and hold with one hand.

 

The iPad had room to shrink. The iphone does not. I don't think it'll get larger either. It still has to fit in someone's hand and be accessible with one hand.

post #32 of 154
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post
And larger as well.  I just don't see how a phone larger than 4" is user-friendly.  It certainly isn't pocket-friendly (maybe just my opinion).

 

Ah, yes, but that's a different situation! Eventually a phone becomes a tablet, and eventually a tablet becomes a phone. And I believe there is a fair range of size between the two that is unusable for either purpose. 


We should make a line graph. There's definitely a minimum and a maximum usable size for phones and a minimum usable size for tablets. If we split tablets into tablets (carried) and tablets (stationary), there's a maximum usable size for the former (I figure it's roughly 13.3") and a minimum usable size to the latter.

 

Maybe this?

 

1000


Edited by Tallest Skil - 1/2/13 at 10:05am

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #33 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

So by your own logic to increase usability on the iPhone the next step should be to increase the screen size. 

 

Not to weigh in on the credibility of this rumor, but applying arguments about tablet screen size and usability to phones and usability doesn't really qualify as logic if you don't account for differences in how they are used.

post #34 of 154
Brian whites Track reord on Apple predictions is one of the worst out there. Unfortunately he seems to be lacking any real source of information. But I always enjoy fiction, if only it was reality
post #35 of 154

The idea that iPhones might come in different colours is unremarkable and likely.  It's just a matter of when.  

 

The idea that Apple will begin selling the iPhone in multiple screen sizes is a ridiculous and somewhat wild guess and will likely never happen.  

 

Apple has never made ergonomic products before and hands are all different sizes.  Having larger hands, I've always had a problem with their mice for instance, but up until now Apple has never in my recollection done the "small, medium, large" thing with any of their products.  

 

Screen size yes, product size, no.  

post #36 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

 

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet ...

 

Yeah, but you are pretty much the only person in the world that thinks the new iPad size is "useless" so ... 

 

Also, the main reason for the iPad mini size is portability and pocket/purse-ability.  Whether you agree or not, at least there are reasons.  The only reason behind multiple iPhone sizes is increased ergonomics which Apple has historically not been terribly concerned with.  Therefore much less reason (or no reason at all), for smaller iPhones.  

post #37 of 154
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
Also, the main reason for the iPad mini size is portability and pocket/purse-ability.

 

Then why isn't that marketed by them if it's the "main reason"?

 

It's cheaper and it's lighter. Cheaper could easily have been taken care of with a $299 iPad 2. Weight solves itself with time.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #38 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmantle View Post

take the ipad mini and add a phone feature to it. bigger is better (according to the Samsung fanboys.)

 

That's what my mom wants.  May get her Lumia instead.

post #39 of 154
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post
[Yes, I know He was cremated -- you know what I mean ....]

 

He was buried…

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.
Reply
post #40 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlor View Post

 

To be fair, both of you have a regular tendency to use the words "proof" or "prove" or "proved" for matters that are nothing of the kind. 

lol.gif

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors