or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors

Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors - Page 2

post #41 of 154
Originally Posted by Mike Eggleston View Post

I think they will keep with the 4" design for some time. The last thing that Apple wants to do is frustrate the developers with yet another resolution size

They can keep the resolution the same and just scale up the screen size. Samsung has shown that people want larger screens, resolution be damned. Anecdotally, I have several friends who have gone with Samsung over Apple for screen size alone.

I think that they might do the colors.

This would seem to be a waste of time considering how many people cover their beautiful phone with a silly case.

post #42 of 154
Originally Posted by TokyoJimu View Post
They can keep the resolution the same and just scale up the screen size.

They can, but it would be absolutely horrible.

Samsung has shown that people want larger screens, resolution be damned.

No, not really. Samsung has shown that people are cheap [expletive redacted] who will buy anything, stolen or otherwise, as long as they save cents up front.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #43 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.

I thought you were joking with this statement, at first.  But seeing how you have stuck to this, I'm curious.

1. Do you understanding the meaning of the word "useless" or are you trying to be hyperbolic?

2. Have you actually used one?

3. What do you do on the iPad that you can't do at all on the iPad Mini?

4. Do you expect all Apple products to fit your exact needs?

5. Are you DaHarder?  Teckstud?

post #44 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

A decent size screen would be very nice. The incremental change of the iPhone 5 just wasn't worth the angst or the money for me to upgrade from the 4S. Like the idea of colours. but serious consideration needs to be given to price of the 4 and 4S with the next release. The Eco system is the killer at the moment but it won't be that way for very much longer. Get folk hooked on the eco system and they'll hang around. If it just the phone then they will come and go like the wind.  
4" screen
A6
Double ram (1gb)
Better color reproduction screen
Slightly better camera
Much much better aluminum unibody design/build that is both thinner and lighter while providing that bigger screen all the while constructing a new connector to allow for that size
4G LTE
Better Wifi
Better speakers
Extra noise canceling microphone
HD FaceTime

Ya.... Pretty "incremental".
Edited by Andysol - 1/2/13 at 10:38am

2012 27" iMac i7, 2010 27" iMac i7, 2011 Mac Mini i5
iPad Air, iPad Mini Retina, (2) iPhone 5S, iPod Touch 5
Time Capsule 5, (3) AirPort Express 2, (2) Apple TV 3

post #45 of 154
Quote:

I'd agree with you except they just made a new tablet uselessly smaller than their existing tablet, so it's probably likely that we'll see a 4.2" or 3.8" iPhone.
Please explain how this is not a troll comment

post #46 of 154
Originally Posted by Andysol View Post
Please explain how this is not a troll comment

Apple breaks convention they've formerly held. Silly things like phones .2" larger or smaller are now on the table. You can't really assume what Apple would do until they do it.

post #47 of 154
I hope they make the new iPhone in the size of iPhone 4S. To me that's the perfect size.
post #48 of 154
Quote:

I agree with the others. You calling the iPad mini useless, which may be for you but not for the product itself or it's intended market, sounds awfully trollish.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #49 of 154

The general attitude of forum members towards larger and/or smaller Apple devices sure has changed over the last several months going by the responses in this thread. It used to be sub-4" iPhone and 9.7" iPad were the perfect sizes and nothing needed to change. . .  except that another year passed by.

Now those "other sizes" make sense to a whole lot of Apple owners.

melior diabolus quem scies
melior diabolus quem scies
post #50 of 154

Apple could ship a smaller "iPhone mini" with Retina resolution ...

If they double the iPad mini screen resolution from 162 to 324 dpi (resulting in the fabled "Retina iPad mini").

And if they use the Retina iPad mini screen technology in an 1136x640 or 960x640 "iPhone mini."

Using a 324 dpi screen would mean that an 1136x640 "iPhone mini" would have a roughly 3.5" x 2" screen.

Or a roughly 3" x 2" screen with 960x640 screen geometry.  Both of which could run apps built for iOS 5

and later with zero changes.  I think that's essential.  Changing the actual screen geometry, again, could be

painful for many developers with with pixel-perfect graphics in their apps.

Oh, and if Apple does ever ship an "iPhone mini," they'll need to stop numbering the "big" iPhone.

They'd call them "the new iPhone" and "the new iPhone mini" ad infinitum.  Same as iPad / iPad mini.

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

Sent from my iPhone Simulator

post #51 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

More colors like the iPod touch colors?  Maybe an iPhone in the size of the Nano.  Less functionality better portability?  Hmm.  I think Apple should focus more on iPhone brain implants :-).

LOL. You mean to say it's not Android enough...

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #52 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

I believe the rumor in substance. I think the iPhone should have three screen sizes. The original size, the current size, and a slightly larger size. It worked on the music player front. Colors would also be a natural extension of what Apple is doing with its music players. Further, if Apple switches to carbon fiber based products, as is the rumor, colors would be easier. 

The reality is Apple likely has to become more aggressive to fend off Android. Google certainly has become more aggressive, and it is also becoming much better at software design than it used to be. Google's new search program's new voice features are nice. It works faster than Siri and the interface is clean. I still largely use Bing, but Google did nice work with the iOS search App. Google's new map program has some user interface problems as well as voice navigation issues, but the overall design is solid (I still prefer Apple's solution). I hope to see Apple improve at software design more quickly. 

Revamping nearly the entire product line wasn't a terrible performance in '012, but I agree about the need for Apple to get more aggressive in covering profitable product niches, e.g., in particular larger screen phones.  I'm seeing them everywhere.  As many as I'm seeing iPhones, btw. 

Give DuckDuckGo a shot as your search engine if you want to escape Google's "filter bubble" effect (and not be tracked and have much better privacy.  Also cool features of its own - and when it strikes out it offers to take you to Google or Bing for a another search.  Very cool. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Honestly, the screen size might not be a huge deal with the iPhone 5 (at least for some), but it easily blows every other phone Apple has made away. It is noticeably lighter, and incredibly fast. The 4S feels like a brick in comparison. Further, the overall design is improved.

I concur and really don't like the "brick" feel of the 4S compared to the near weightlessness of the SIII.  Haven't actually pawed a 5 yet, but it sounds much more pleasant to handle and carry.   I would hope the larger model, if it appears (as I dearly hope), would incorporate as many weight-saving tricks - extending the improvements of the 5 and so not be much heavier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

I don't buy the multiple sizes either. It's totally unnecessary and complicates matters for application developers.
Frankly, because most people use a case for their iPhone, I'm not sure how important multiple colors are until such time as Apple made an iPhone that was indestructible enough that it didn't need a case.

No complications for devs if the ppi are simply scaled down on the larger phone (say in the 280ppi +/- a bit range).

Also I watch people operate their smart phones a lot - and much of the time (while texting or writing, e.g.), they're using two hands, and of course with one hand once a song or video starts or simply scrolling an article.  I have no problem with this at all, despite the "purity" of Apple/Ives's one-hand aesthetic - which starts to break down on the "tall screen" iP5 anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

4" is big enough to me.  But I can see Cook experimenting.  I think to many people Apple has lost it's luster, so they'll probably try a few things like this to come back.  This along with a redesigned OS.

You'll also see touch-enabled Macs by 2014.  Apple's bulk of sales come from touch-enabled devices and I've seen people going back and forth between trackpad and touch on Win 8 with ease.  It just makes sense - and not being able to use touch starts to feel unnatural when you move from Pad or Phone to notebook. 

More importantly, implemented properly, it would "just work."  An area where Apple's traditionally been on the forefront.

And before the "muscle arms" reply gets trotted out, I'm NOT (NOT!) saying the function would be for full-time use, but an option for those who want it for here and there where it's convenient.  There could also be an option (over time) to choose larger or traditional clicking points in the OS UI and over time in programs. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

1. A bigger iPhone screen isn't as crazy as some people think. The iPad line already has two different UI point densities -- the iPad mini is the same as the iPhone while the iPad has a lower density. A bigger iPhone could follow that model -- the same number of UI points, but a bigger screen, so lower density. This is not as unthinkable as retina-purists might imagine
3. There may be a lot of people who really do want a bigger screen with a lower point density. Who are these people? People who are getting older and can't see small text as well anymore (and these people can't appreciate the advantage of "true" retina displays, anyway)

And me!  Bring it on.  There's no reason for the World's largest tech company to have to stick to one current form factor.  Period.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

An iPhone, a Leatherman and thou...  ...life is complete.

post #53 of 154
Quote:

Then why isn't that marketed by them if it's the "main reason"?

It's cheaper and it's lighter. Cheaper could easily have been taken care of with a $299 iPad 2. Weight solves itself with time.

I think they do highlight the portability/pocket-ability ("hold it in your palm"..."smallest bag...") in their marketing (copy n' paste from iPad mini page on Apple website):

Thin and light design.

iPad mini has everything that makes an iPad an iPad, but it’s a fraction of the size. At just 7.2 millimetres, it’s pencil thin and unbelievably light.3 You can easily hold it in your palm. And stash it in your smallest bag without a second thought, so it’s always close at hand.

post #54 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I agree with the others. You calling the iPad mini useless, which may be for you but not for the product itself or it's intended market, sounds awfully trollish.
To add to that- its his claim that its only successful because of price- and has just recently started saying that weight also could be a reason.

But there are plenty of people who make $100k+ (and way more) that buy it... So umm, that kind of shoots holes in his all-knowing claims.

post #55 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxMacCary View Post

More sizes?!?
Anybody checked for disturbed dirt around Steve's grave lately?
[Yes, I know He was cremated -- you know what I mean ....]

He didn't seem to be bothered when Apple splintered the original iPod into lots of different models and price points and colors.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #56 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

If Apple wants to "stick it to the carriers," they would do a major model update every 18 months and a minor update every 6 months; this would have people upgrading their phone as early as possible. Very few people will upgrade every year for various reasons they rationalize out, but at 18 months you have a pretty good shot.
Small will be the next big. I think a iPod nano-sized phone would make sense for a lot of people, especially as Siri improves. It will be less of a cost driver and more of a form factor to attract different people.
Sadly though, it is a lot like Samsung's flagship approach.

How would that be sticking it to the carriers? It'd hurt the subscribers more than the carriers.
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
post #57 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I bought my Mom an iPad mini and she loves it. She never wanted an iPad because she felt it was too big but the size of the mini is perfect. Personally I like my iPad 3 though I do see the attraction to the mini. Choice and options are a good thing. 

Catastrophe. 'You scratch my back and I'll scratch yours' just did me in. One bears witness that I did scratch the iPad Mini's back, and I must say it does scratch mine in return. In more ways than one...

Mesmerized...I was watching that 'I'll be home for Christmas" Apple commercial last week, ...and little could I remember having that lightweight Mini sitting on my lap. Lo and behold, I exploded out of a couching Nirvana to hug that 'ménage-à-quatre' rendition... You know...the grandfatherly audience to a grand-daughterly sing-song, with iPad and Mini as ethereal portals.

As you can imagine, the lightness of my being synced seamlessly with the buoyancy of my Mini, ...and it went crashing onto the floor as I went flying Peter Pan-like to Neverland's door...

This time...for once...I happened to scratch the front part of my Mini; the hard reality of life had finally met with fiction.
post #58 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The idea that iPhones might come in different colours is unremarkable and likely.  It's just a matter of when.  

The idea that Apple will begin selling the iPhone in multiple screen sizes is a ridiculous and somewhat wild guess and will likely never happen.  

Apple has never made ergonomic products before and hands are all different sizes.  Having larger hands, I've always had a problem with their mice for instance, but up until now Apple has never in my recollection done the "small, medium, large" thing with any of their products.  

Screen size yes, product size, no.  

They already offer the iPhone in 2 different screen sizes.
post #59 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

The general attitude of forum members towards larger and/or smaller Apple devices sure has changed over the last several months going by the responses in this thread. It used to be sub-4" iPhone and 9.7" iPad were the perfect sizes and nothing needed to change. . .  except that another year passed by.

Now those "other sizes" make sense to a whole lot of Apple owners.

Hmmm... I seem to recall that there were quite a few people agreeing with me when I said that a smaller iPad and larger iPhone would make a lot of sense... something I've been saying for quite a while now.

My guess... all of those people that you seem to remember saying otherwise are just a lot quieter now... well, except for at least one.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #60 of 154
Ok so this guy really know nothing and is just throwing stuff out there off some checklist from concerned troll about what Apple needs to do to keep up with the competition. Colored phones (Nokia Lumia), more sizes (Android OEMs). 1rolleyes.gif
post #61 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ok so this guy really know nothing and is just throwing stuff out there off some checklist from concerned troll about what Apple needs to do to keep up with the competition. Colored phones (Nokia Lumia), more sizes (Android OEMs). 1rolleyes.gif

5" inches minimum, in brown with a stylus and a kickstand.

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #62 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

I don't believe any of these rumors for a NY minute, however now that the iPhone is (finally) 16:9 doing different sizes wouldn't be all that hard. 
Apple made a big deal out of the fact they went taller but not wider. I suppose they could backtrack on that. But if they were planning to go bigger because that's what all the competition is doing why didn't they do it with iPhone 5? 1hmm.gif
post #63 of 154

I'll be honest, I've been watching a lot of videos of Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) over the last couple of weeks.  I hate to admit it but if Apple is looking to innovate and make changes, it's in the features that iOS offers, not so much the hardware.

I used Android up until Froyo and went to the iPhone.  I love the feel of the iPhone 5, love iOS, but Android seems to have caught up with iOS - features wise.  And I'm not trolling.  

This is my opinion, only.  Maybe.

post #64 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

5" inches minimum, in brown with a stylus and a kickstand.
And don't forget a cheap ass phone for China and India, My god you can't make this stuff up. lol.gif
post #65 of 154

Yeesh.

It's not hard.

Apple dominated the music player market for a reason.  3-4 DIFFERENT products meeting the needs and budgets of different markets and consumers.

One iphone doesn't fit all.

A similar approach to the iPod market.

The iPhone has the best design of ANY smart phone.  But there is a design out there that beats it.

It's the current iPod touch.  It's streamlined alu heaven.  It's a great design.

Offer the new iPhone 5S in 3 models.

Nano, Classic and 'S' (super sized.)

3.5, 4 and 5 inches..?

Colours?  What took them so long?

The next iPhone range is the iPod touch range.  Small, medium and Large.  In colours.

With price brackets for low, medium and upper to squeeze the life out the air Apple is allowing the Android and Samsung market.

Lemon Bon Bon.

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

You know, for a company that specializes in the video-graphics market, you'd think that they would offer top-of-the-line GPUs...

WITH THE NEW MAC PRO THEY FINALLY DID!  (But you bend over for it.)

post #66 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

I'll be honest, I've been watching a lot of videos of Android 4.2 (Jelly Bean) over the last couple of weeks.  I hate to admit it but if Apple is looking to innovate and make changes, it's in the features that iOS offers, not so much the hardware.

I used Android up until Froyo and went to the iPhone.  I love the feel of the iPhone 5, love iOS, but Android seems to have caught up with iOS - features wise.  And I'm not trolling.  

This is my opinion, only.  Maybe.

I'm not saying you're wrong but this reminded me of what people used to say back in the 90s when it was mentioned that they should consider buying a Mac...

"But the PC has so much more software."

Of course, 95% of those people never used anything more than what was offered for the Mac.

What I'm saying is; what are those features and do most people really need some of those [next to] useless little bells and whistles?

na na na na na...
na na na na na...
post #67 of 154

I call BS! No way any of this is true!

post #68 of 154
Originally Posted by Lemon Bon Bon. View Post

Offer the new iPhone 5S in 3 models.

Nano, Classic and 'S' (super sized.)

3.5, 4 and 5 inches..?

I'm sure developers are thrilled to see Apple going the way of Android¡

post #69 of 154

I thought Job's mantra was to sell a few good products with not many options. We as consumers don't know what we want unless it is offered so in some cases it's just best not to offer. I have never considered an iphone in anything except black until the white one came out and then I never considered an iphone in anything except black or white until they announced the colors. The problem for me is the colours are rubbish, far too washed out. If I want a colorful phone, I want a decent representation of the color. I want an orange phone, bright orange, nothing else will do.

That's what happens when you give people tiny decisions to make.

post #70 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm not saying you're wrong but this reminded me of what people used to say back in the 90s when it was mentioned that they should consider buying a Mac...

"But the PC has so much more software."

Of course, 95% of those people never used anything more than what was offered for the Mac.

What I'm saying is; what are those features and do most people really need some of those [next to] useless little bells and whistles?

I agree; I don't know if they utilize the features.  I guess not, or Google Wallet would be bigger than it is.  Maybe that's a hardware issue, though...

I guess I'm just saying that Android has caught up with Apple in terms of OS features.  Their "Google Now" released last June is a pretty mature answer to Siri.  I still prefer iOS but I look forward to seeing what iOS 7 offers.

post #71 of 154
Man a lot of negativity here. People realize that Apple now has a dual track with two sizes of iPhones. You know different strokes for different folks. The thing is this could simply be an indication that both models get updated at the same time.

What would more interesting is if Apple introduced a third model or frankly updated the Flash sizes. Screen size isn't as big of a deal as is having the flash storage to cover your needs. I don't see a pressing need for a lot of other goodies in a new cell phone. IPad is another matter altogether though.
post #72 of 154
This is all made up.
post #73 of 154
The thinness and weight of the 5 are impressive, but I didn't mind the weight of the 4/4s. It's not like it was heavy enough to cause any fatigue in holding it (unlike a full sized iPad). It seems Apple is more obsessed with being thin & light than a supermodel is these days.

I would just like a 4" screen with the old aspect ratio ... I think that would be the ideal size screen for a phone. Also, a refresh of the form factor would be nice. Most consumers (me included) want something new to look at with a new model. No matter how good the old design is it eventually starts looking dated.
post #74 of 154
Quote:

We all pretty much realize the only reason Apple has never wanted to include an microSD card slot is to force people into buying the more expensive $299 and $399 models if they wanted more storage space.

We know that? It had nothing to do with making the system simpler? Reliability? Tech support issues caused by the extra complexity?

Apple has a history of not including anything that was not necessary. No need to use your conspiracy theory.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #75 of 154

The ridiculous use of the word 'bifurcate' pretty well negates any credibility this 'rumour' may have had.

post #76 of 154
Quote:
This eventually opens up the possibility for a lower-priced iPhone (i.e., iPhone mini)

Lower price? I thought the 4 was FREE? 

post #77 of 154
Please bring color!
I know that Samsung are doing some colored phones, but I bet they'll release a full array of colors (that match those of the iPhone in a very close way) if it arrives.
post #78 of 154
Quote:

Not saying it is the only reason but it certainly figures into their decision to leave it off. A microSD slot is no more difficult and probably easier to use than a SIM card and they include that. Does $200 more to go from 16GB to 64 GB seem reasonable to you? No conspiracy theory here, just good old common sense and have been following Apple since 1982

Apple only uses a SIM card because the carriers won't let them carry the functionality in software. You only have to look at the trouble Apple went to just to get a microSIM ratified to realise that they're never going to increase the size of their phone just to include a memory card slot.
Bear in mind that Apple is also working to keep things as simple as possible by hiding the file system. Once you have a card slot then that simplicity goes out the window.
post #79 of 154
Quote:

Weight… and price. I don't agree with weight personally, but I understand the argument behind it and see it as valid. Price I somewhat agree with, therefore I see that argument as valid.

The iPad will eventually weigh what the mini does. And the "previous model" iPad could have cost LESS than the iPad mini right now. All they needed to do is drop the iPad 2 to $299. They'll still be making a profit on every single one.

But usability is damaged the smaller it goes.

I don't know... I think 7" makes perfect eBook reader size, and you can still browse the web and check your email/FB, compared to eInk readers. For people with high priority on reading and portability, this should be sweet spot, IMHO.
post #80 of 154

iPhone Mini? Yeah, sure. I said they should have put one out back when the original iPhone came out. 

A larger iPhone?... Forget it. Apple already made their case about how far a single hand human thumb can comfortably reach to all corners of the screen.

I actually physically laughed out loud at some guy standing in a supermarket checkout line with some oversized Samsung cheapo in one hand; shopping basket in the other. It was flopping around in his hand like a live flounder as he tried to careen his thumb around the screen as he tried to type. It looked like it was a comedic stage prop, I swear to god. Like it was a fake phone.  Apple's not going to go there.

You want a larger device?  Easy.  Light up voice service on the cellular iPads. Will cost Apple next to nothing. They can then develop an Apple mind-blowing line of Bluetooth stereo and mono audio interface units to go as optional upgrade to their current wired interface.

If my iPad Mini could have a cellular voice plan, that's the way I would roll.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors