or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors

Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors - Page 3

post #81 of 154

Why bother with colours? Don't all iPhone 5 owners use a protective case to avoid ScuffGateTM?

I will NEVER pay $679 for an 8GB plastic cell phone
post #82 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

Not true, CDMA carriers like Verizon and Sprint never used SIM cards prior to LTE phones and would probably prefer still not to use them but LTE made that no longer possible. GSM and now LTE requires SIM, not the carriers. WiMax didn't require SIM cards but for some reason the LTE  standards body or whoever decided standards chose to include that as a requirement and not the carriers themselves. 

And as for your other point about the file system, iOS has a file system already. True that it is largely hidden from the end user unless you use special apps or jailbreak your phone, but it is there. There is no reason a microSD could not be formatted and used along the lines that OS X now uses hybrid drives seamlessly. It seems silly to say that adding some external storage is beyond Apple's means to integrate it easily for end users. By that rationale they should never add any new features at all to iOS for fear of increasing complexity or more tech support issues. I have a very good friend that works for Apple in Cupertino and got this from him directly. So I don't really care if any of you believe me or not. If they had included an SD slot they would sell far fewer $499 models since you can buy a fast 64GB card for about $50 which would give you more storage with 80GB total for less money at $250 vs. their current pricing model. But like I said before I am pretty confident this won't b an issue any longer since they will very likely move to 32/64/128 internal later this year. 

You completely missed his points.

For instance, he didn't say no SIM, he clearly stated "carry the functionality in the software." This virtual SIM would be inputted into the phone as text or some method of scanned and verified with some private PIN and with the carrier. This could get stored in the OS or more likely, on the baseband in the firmware. It would have the benefits of removing a large component at does little and hold very little data, increasing reliability of the device, and allowing for faster and easier access for those that need to use multiple SIMs for various carriers/countries. This is better for vendors and consumers, but it helps chip away at the carrier's control ever so slightly.

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

Goodbyeee jragosta :: http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/160864/jragosta-joseph-michael-ragosta

post #83 of 154
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
People realize that Apple now has a dual track with two sizes of iPhones.

They have a dual track with "selling the old model". Eventually there stops being that old model.

You know different strokes for different folks. The thing is this could simply be an indication that both models get updated at the same time.

Yeah, like the "iPhone 5" and "iPhone 4S" two years ago. lol.gif

the days of resting on their laurels are long gone. 

They were never here. It's not about specs.

Originally Posted by asdasd

This is Appleinsider. It's all there for you but we can't do it for you.

post #84 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blastdoor View Post

3. There may be a lot of people who really do want a bigger screen with a lower point density. Who are these people? People who are getting older and can't see small text as well anymore (and these people can't appreciate the advantage of "true" retina displays, anyway)

That, and those of us with big fat fingers who curse UI designers that use small buttons and crowd them close to each other. Mostly a problem with web browsing, but also applies to some apps.

post #85 of 154
It's not about specs as long as they have the specs…

Mixed messages.

The iPhone wasn't the fastest phone on the market when it was released. And yet nothing trumped it.

post #86 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Apple breaks convention they've formerly held. Silly things like phones .2" larger or smaller are now on the table. You can't really assume what Apple would do until they do it.

Good answer, but that totally doesn't explain how the comment isn't a troll comment, does it?  

Your a moderator.  You make a comment that you know isn't true, that you know everyone will disagree with, that you know will get people rilled up, that you know has engendered huge disagreements in the past.  

Just admit it.  You are a troll, everyone else knows this already.  The healing comes after.  You first have to admit that you have a problem.  

post #87 of 154
Quote:

I didn't miss his point at all I just disagreed that all carriers were the ones pushing for SIM cards. Sprint and Verizon would gladly offer a virtual SIM solution. The LTE standards board are the ones that took that decision out of their hands. Or at least that is what I read sometime ago. CDMA carriers never used a SIM card prior to LTE with the exception of certain world phones. In fact what you described is pretty much how CDMA phones are activated since they have a unique ESN number. 

1) You missed his point because he was talking carriers that use GSM. That excludes Verizon and Sprint. Even if you could find some declaration from Verizon and Sprint saying they want to use a virtual SIM that doesn't nullify his point.

2) From a layman perspective I can see how you'd think they are the same. They are both certainly unique identifiers. However, from a technical standpoint there are a plethora of differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Just admit it.  You are a troll, everyone else knows this already.  The healing comes after.  You first have to admit that you have a problem.  

He is not a troll and making a claim that he is one instead of noting a post of his is trollish could be construed as a personal attack.

post #88 of 154

Just admit it.  You are a troll, everyone else knows this already.

That's hilarious.

Which iPhone? the very first one? That is ancient history…

Right, it only doesn't matter if it ruins the argument you're trying to make.

…and the first iPhone was revolutionary in so many other ways.

Right! Those ways were integration, UI, and UX. Nothing to do with the specs. Apple almost always has worse specs than anyone else selling the same thing in a given industry. That Apple's machines run faster and better with those worse specs is a testament to the fact that they just don't really matter.

Most phones back then had a 2.5 to 3" screens so that 3.5" screen with a real touch screen you could use with your finger and not stylus was revolutionary. 

But it wasn't the first capacitive screen. And I'd actually venture that it would have done as or just about as well with a smaller screen. 3.5" was too large for people to comprehend at the time. They thought they wanted a smaller phone, just like today some people think they want a yet larger phone. Both were wrong, but it's secondary to what the first iPhone most importantly brought to the table.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post
He is not a troll and making a claim that he is one instead of noting a post of his is trollish could be construed as a personal attack.

It was more half-sarcasm than anything else. I'd figure people would see the humor there, and how it's half-true.

post #89 of 154
Quote:

[...] I have to believe that I am far from alone in wanting to stick with an iPhone and iOS but also wanting a big display.  

You are NOT alone.

I've wanted a larger screen ever since I realized there was no way my fingers and eyes were going to let me use a web browser on an iPhone. Now that I've seen my daughter's Galaxy I REALLY want a bigger screen!

post #90 of 154
Quote:

[...] up until now Apple has never in my recollection done the "small, medium, large" thing with any of their products.  

Screen size yes, product size, no.  

Okay. I don't want a bigger iPhone. I just want an iPhone with a bigger screen. :)

Silver back with a black face, please. Same colorway as the entire Mac lineup.

Oh, in addition to screen size they also do S/M/L with storage capacity.

post #91 of 154
People want what they want.

They're often wrong, as Apple has shown them dozens of times.

Unlike you I don't need Apple to tell me what works for me.

Nor do I. I want a 15" iPad and a 40" touchscreen on my desk. They'll exist eventually. I buy the closest thing to that until then. I want a phone that actually fits in my pocket and can be used like every other phone made since the first. Apple offers that directly.

If the current iPhone were so spectacular you obviously would have bought one yourself…

Why? How does that follow? I can believe it's a great device without buying it. I love the Mac Mini. Not gonna buy one.

I know I want a larger screen and great specs and if Apple makes one I will stick with them. If they fail to deliver I will take my money elsewhere. That is the way free markets work. 

I'm saying that specs don't matter, is all. That Apple reasserts a "fastest on the market" position with every new phone and tablet they release is simply a windfall. I don't hate that, no! I'm not against it at all; it's just not the point. A 3GS still has a smoother UI than some brand new Android and WP8 devices. That's not specs doing that. Apple doesn't care about specs if they get in the way of usability. Whereas Android manufacturers couldn't care less about usability, focusing only on specs. 

post #92 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I'm not saying you're wrong but this reminded me of what people used to say back in the 90s when it was mentioned that they should consider buying a Mac...

"But the PC has so much more software."

Of course, 95% of those people never used anything more than what was offered for the Mac.

What I'm saying is; what are those features and do most people really need some of those [next to] useless little bells and whistles?

That's a really good point, but in this case i think the answer is "Yes, they do." Everyone I know who has an Android-based OS on their phone has created custom shortcuts, which really are handy.

post #93 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Okay. I don't want a bigger iPhone. I just want an iPhone with a bigger screen. 1smile.gif

I stated the same desire years... and that exactly what we got. Now it might be big enough for your tastes, which is fine, but it is a bigger display and it's a smaller volume device with much better specs.

Now the iPad mini is an interesting change for Apple because they shrink the UI. It maintains certain standards of usability for developers and consumers alike but it's still an atypical move. Could they scale the iPhone 4S or iPhone 5 resolution to a larger display, to wit a lower PPI display, and still maintain the developer and consumer satisfaction on that device?

Doing some quick math I get a 1136x 640 display (same as iPhone 5) at the iPad (4) PPI as being a 4.9405" display. That translates to a a 2.42" x 4.31" display for 10.43" display area. For comparison the iPhone 5 is 1.96" x 3.49" for a 6.84" display are, and the iPad mini is 4.71" x 6.28" for a 29.58" display area.

Would a 5" phone be popular? Would that be too much of an extreme for enlarging the UI elements? Why is it that when I do math in posts people are less likely to respond? Do people generally not like math? Are these rhetorical questions I'm asking myself?

post #94 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

iPhone Mini? Yeah, sure. I said they should have put one out back when the original iPhone came out. 
A larger iPhone?... Forget it. Apple already made their case about how far a single hand human thumb can comfortably reach to all corners of the screen.

I actually physically laughed out loud at some guy standing in a supermarket checkout line with some oversized Samsung cheapo in one hand; shopping basket in the other. It was flopping around in his hand like a live flounder as he tried to careen his thumb around the screen as he tried to type. It looked like it was a comedic stage prop, I swear to god. Like it was a fake phone.  Apple's not going to go there.

You want a larger device?  Easy.  Light up voice service on the cellular iPads. Will cost Apple next to nothing. They can then develop an Apple mind-blowing line of Bluetooth stereo and mono audio interface units to go as optional upgrade to their current wired interface.

If my iPad Mini could have a cellular voice plan, that's the way I would roll.

Makes sense to me, said so the other day. What's the problem with the idea? And an Apple-designed Bluetooth headset is greatly to be desired.
post #95 of 154
Quote:

Would a 5" phone be popular? Would that be too much of an extreme for enlarging the UI elements? Why is it that when I do math in posts people are less likely to respond? Do people generally not like math? Are these rhetorical questions I'm asking myself?

Sure a 5" phone would be popular? and what of the UI? The iPad still has the same 4 icons per row as the iPhone with much more space in between, is that extreme enlarging?
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"I got the answer by talking in my brain and I agreed of the answer my brain got" a 7 yr old explaining his math HW
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #96 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

The iPad still has the same 4 icons per row as the iPhone with much more space in between, is that extreme enlarging?

I don't follow. The iPad's UI was idealized for that display and display size. The icons are not only bigger but use more pixels than the iPhone icons. You can also put up to 6 app in the tray. I wouldn't want more icons per page. It just looks too cluttered.

post #97 of 154
Quote:

Doing some quick math I get a 1136x 640 display (same as iPhone 5) at the iPad (4) PPI as being a 4.9405" display.

What do you get if you remove pixel density as a concern? I still honestly believe that for everyone except AppleHeads, Retina is a solution in search of a problem. Before it came along I never, ever, as in not even once, heard ANYONE say, "Y'know, that's a nice display but I find it distracting that I can make out individual pixels if I sit really close and squint." Sure, Retina *is* nicer, but to the masses it's icing, not the cake.

Quote:

That translates to a a 2.42" x 4.31" display for 10.43" display area. For comparison the iPhone 5 is 1.96" x 3.49" for a 6.84" display are, and the iPad mini is 4.71" x 6.28" for a 29.58" display area.

That's not a bad size, actually. I'd prefer another quarter inch or so in each direction, but I think that might be big enough to pry my wallet open (which the 5 failed to do).

Quote:

Would a 5" phone be popular?

I'd like it, for whatever that's worth.

Quote:

Why is it that when I do math in posts people are less likely to respond?

Because AppleHeads are 100% right-brained. It's not that they don't LIKE math, they just don't even perceive it. It's like infrared text.

post #98 of 154
Quote:

When my friend brought his new HTC DNA phone over to my house I had no idea what the specs were. I didn't know at the time it was a 1080P display, had 441 PPI, or a resolution of 1920x1080. In fact I didn't even know that the screen size was 5". All I knew at the time was it was gorgeous and I loved it. Playing a few games, surfing, and using it for about 20 minutes was very enjoyable. Maybe that is why you get so few replies with your math formulas. Most new phones all have great displays now and 1080P with a retina 326 PPI or better displays will be the norm for 2013. Unless it is a really crappy screen most people can't discen the difference with their eyes anymore. The retina advantage that Apple enjoyed is now history.

There is no way a 441 PPI 1920x1080 display will have a good performance even with Butter on Android. Well, not outside a much more powerful GPU which means you'll need a larger battery. Note how much the iPad increased in weight and thickness going from a 25W to a 42W battery as well as much larger SoC so it can handle a 264 PPI 2048x1536 display. I can't imagine that's anything but bragging rights for that one component when placed in a phone in 2012.

post #99 of 154
Quote:

I'm sure developers are thrilled to see Apple going the way of Android¡

A $199 no contract featurephone that had iMessage, Maps, Clock, Contacts, Calendar, Mail, iTunes, Music, Video, Photos, Fitness, Camera and Siri would work well for many folks... 

Devs wouldn't have to worry about it at all.

Eh, the iPhone Nano rumors have been around almost as long as the iPhone itself.  It would not be surprising if it did or didn't appear anytime soon but if Apple wants to address the pre-pay market I don't see how they can make a smartphone without seriously compromising user experience.  A very high quality featurephone seems far more likely than a crappy smartphone.

post #100 of 154
Originally Posted by nht View Post
A $199 no contract featurephone that had iMessage, Maps, Clock, Contacts, Calendar, Mail, iTunes, Music, Video, Photos, Fitness, Camera and Siri would work well for many folks... 

So no data, preventing the use of half of those? And no apps, taking it back to 2007?

Edited by Tallest Skil - 1/2/13 at 6:40pm

post #101 of 154
The colors that Apple is running with right now are awful. How hard is it make red? It's like Pinterest took over.
post #102 of 154
Originally Posted by cmfilms View Post
The colors that Apple is running with right now are awful.

Black and white are awful?

How hard is it make red?

Not that hard, I guess.

post #103 of 154
Quote:

So no data, preventing the use of half of those? And no apps, taking it back to 2007?

Why no data?  Sure data.  It shouldn't use that much unless they are posting video to youtube.

Yep, no apps taking it back to 2012 feature phones.

http://wireless.amazon.com/Pantech-Pursuit-II-Phone-Pink/dp/B005CPIIQQ

$179 on AT&T's site refurb ($219 new) but sometimes that site gets wonky on links.

The choices in this price range are really crappy android phones that run apps poorly or feature phones (I guess these are actually called messaging phones) with a tailored feature set.  

I guess you need to add Facebook, Twitter, etc to the app list.

But as a non-smart phone you can get a go plan for $50 unlimited everything including, if I read the fine print right, data.

post #104 of 154
Originally Posted by nht View Post
Why no data?  Sure data.

Then what's the point of making the phone cheaper when they'll still be paying $50 a month?

Yep, no apps taking it back to 2012 feature phones.

That's not Apple's game.

post #105 of 154
Oh the colors are moving through all of Apples devices here is what I see the stages
iPod Touch, iPad, iPhone, MacBook Air, other Macs. Other devices.
Screen sizes, Above 4.6 inches is horrible A iPhone 4 could barely stay in some pockets, the 5 somehow stays in better. This is in top 5 reasons not to buy android.
post #106 of 154
Quote:

if you are an obese midget that only wears skinny jeans then maybe you have a point or start buying pants with normal sized pockets and you wouldn't have any problem. 

I think you misunderstand the purpose of a pocket. It's to place items, not one item that fits perfectly inside a handgun in a specialized velvet lined case.

I like my phone to slide in and out of my front pocket with ease. I also keep my money clip in the same pocket.

My keys are typically placed in the adjacent pocket and are much smaller than my iPhone but I would love if my keys could get smaller or fewer in number. I certainly don't want them to fill up the entirety of my normal sized pockets.

post #107 of 154
I like my phone to slide in and out of my front pocket with ease.

People tend to forget that telephones have ALWAYS been… tall and thin. Even the stereotypical candlestick phone is tall and thin, and it's not even the part you hold! And now LG wants to come out with a 5" 4:3 BRICK of a phone? No. People actually think they want this?!

My keys are typically placed in the adjacent pocket and are much smaller than my iPhone but I would love if my keys could get smaller or fewer in number. I certainly don't want them to fill up the entirety of my normal sized pockets.

*Exhale as on discovering something interesting* That's it. That's part of Apple's home automation scheme. I mean, they'll have to have one eventually, but whatever. 

Your iPhone is your keys. The house unlocks (and/or security system disarms) when the iPhone/iPad you're carrying hops back on your home Wi-Fi network. Same with your car. Of course, you really wouldn't want it stolen in that case. 

Guy steals your iPhone, takes your car, "Siri, take me home." "Getting directions to home." Goes to your house, cases the joint…

Of course then you'd have "Find My Car" to counter this: your stolen iPhone, in the possession of the thief, would be able to remotely shut off the car's engine. And your house would have an entry/exit log, viewable on iCloud.com.

post #108 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post

Screen sizes, Above 4.6 inches is horrible [...] This is in top 5 reasons not to buy android.

No, it's not. My hands are much bigger than yours.

If you don't like a big screen phone, don't buy one. Why would you object to others wanting one?

post #109 of 154
Quote:

People tend to forget that telephones have ALWAYS been… tall and thin. Even the stereotypical candlestick phone is tall and thin, and it's not even the part you hold! And now LG wants to come out with a 5" 4:3 BRICK of a phone? No. People actually think they want this?!

It's not JUST a phone though. I suspect your usage patterns may not resemble the typical smartphoner.

We now txt more than we talk. We browse, snap, upload and share. Voice calls represent less than 10% of total daily use. That means the form factor best suited to those other tasks should be a higher priority than voice calls, right?

Besides, I don't know about other people, but I haven't held a phone to my head in years. I have things that stick in my ears for that. The "phone" stays in my hand or pocket while I converse. But even if I *did* hold it to my ear, a bigger screen is not an obstacle. If you can hold it in your hand, you can hold it up to your ear. How is a bigger screen an impediment to this?

Again, I can't speak for anyone else, but my co-workers and I all hold our iPhones with two hands NOW, because it's easier to type and navigate and stuff. Thumb reach is an irrelevant concept.

There's just no reason not to make a phone with a bigger screen. You may not ever buy one, but it's pretty obvious there are a LOT of people who will.

post #110 of 154
This sounds like an iPod Touch/nano rumor. Maybe he got the device wrong. I can't see the phones going to different colours, and definitely not different sizes, but I guess Apple can always surprise us...
post #111 of 154
Quote:

My hands are much bigger than yours.

How could you possibly know this?

post #112 of 154

If you can hold it in your hand, you can hold it up to your ear.

Challenge.

You know, like in Scrabble.

Got yourself a stalker, Soli.

post #113 of 154
Quote:

None of your business, that's how.

Okay, I'm clairvoyant.

I also have hands the size of boxing gloves so I figured chances are...

Okay, that's not true. I actually have tiny little hands and was lying because I feel inadequate.

Or I was just making a point about absurd generalizations.

I dunno, pick one of those.

post #114 of 154
Quote:

Challenge.

You know, like in Scrabble.

Go into the kitchen and grab a plate. Now hold it up to your ear.

post #115 of 154
Quote:

A 3GS still has a smoother UI than some brand new...WP8 devices.
Your prejudices are showing here. Windows Phone OS is acclaimed for being buttery smooth on even low spec hardware.
post #116 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banyan Bruce View Post

A decent size screen would be very nice. The incremental change of the iPhone 5 just wasn't worth the angst or the money for me to upgrade from the 4S. Like the idea of colours. but serious consideration needs to be given to price of the 4 and 4S with the next release. The Eco system is the killer at the moment but it won't be that way for very much longer. Get folk hooked on the eco system and they'll hang around. If it just the phone then they will come and go like the wind.  

Right now, it feels you say the ecosystem is going to tank, but Apple should make phone prices lower due to the ecosystem being the key, and phones irrelevant. Makes no sense.

On the other hand, you start with the premise that the iPhone 5 has a "not decent" screen size, so you're a troll.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

Social Capitalist, dreamer and wise enough to know I'm never going to grow up anyway... so not trying anymore.

post #117 of 154
I think this rumor is likely, but the timing is off.

This year we'll definitely see a 5S, but I believe we could see an iPhone mini or iPhone classic that will sport the original screen size, a combination of features from the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S, lightening port, and the thinnest lightest iPhone design ever. No colors, but a price around $300-400.

The following year I think we could see the iPhone 6 with a larger 4.5inch screen.

Also I think eventually an iPhone Nano might be on the table as well. Essentially causing the iPhone lineup to mirror the successful iPod lineup.
post #118 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think this rumor is likely, but the timing is off.
This year we'll definitely see a 5S, but I believe we could see an iPhone mini or iPhone classic that will sport the original screen size, a combination of features from the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S, lightening port, and the thinnest lightest iPhone design ever. No colors, but a price around $300-400.
The following year I think we could see the iPhone 6 with a larger 4.5inch screen.
Also I think eventually an iPhone Nano might be on the table as well. Essentially causing the iPhone lineup to mirror the successful iPod lineup.

Also, they could have an iPhone with four doors and 4 wheels, to mirror the successful BMW lineup.

Maybe "the lineup for product X is successful" is not the best metric to determine that the lineup for product Y should mirror it?

post #119 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightknight View Post

Also, they could have an iPhone with four doors and 4 wheels, to mirror the successful BMW lineup.

Maybe "the lineup for product X is successful" is not the best metric to determine that the lineup for product Y should mirror it?

I think Tim Cook would be willing to try, depending on how he feels the iPad Mini has done. From the looks of early reports it does appear that the iPad Mini has cannibalized the main iPad quite a bit while not growing Apple's marketshare.

This alone could prevent Apple from expanding the iPhone brand, but if iPhone sales plateau anything could be on the table to grow it's market.

post #120 of 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

I think Tim Cook would be willing to try, depending on how he feels the iPad Mini has done. From the looks of early reports it does appear that the iPad Mini has cannibalized the main iPad quite a bit while not growing Apple's marketshare.

This alone could prevent Apple from expanding the iPhone brand, but if iPhone sales plateau anything could be on the table to grow it's market.

I'm not sure if market growth at any cost is Apple's strategy. They rather seem to be aiming at high-margin semi-luxury products... imho.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Rumor: Apple's next iPhones to debut this summer in more sizes, colors