or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Amazon's Kindle Fire gains marketshare at expense of iPad over holidays, research shows
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Amazon's Kindle Fire gains marketshare at expense of iPad over holidays, research shows

post #1 of 76
Thread Starter 
A study of web usage over the holidays in North America saw Apple's iPad marketshare fall 7.14 percent, while competing devices from Amazon, Samsung and Google gained a total of 5.5 percent over the same period.

680
Source: Chitika Insights


The numbers, from ad network Chitika's research arm Chitika Insights, were drawn from a sample size of hundreds of millions of smartphone and tablet ad impressions from Dec. 1 to Dec. 27, 2012. Data was measured across the U.S. and Canada only.

While Apple's iPad, including the iPad mini and older generations of the tablet, took a substantial 7.14 percent hit during the nearly month-long period, the device is still leading the space by a wide margin with 78.46 percent of all traffic.

Next in line is Amazon's Kindle Fire, a reasonably priced offering from the internet sales giant that accounted for 7.51 percent of Chitika's web impressions in December. The device enjoyed the largest holiday boost with a 3.03 percent increase in marketshare, echoing last year's strong holiday performance.

Coming in third was Samsung and its 7- and 10-inch Galaxy tablets, which managed to jump 1.38 percent to finish with 4.38 percent of the market. Google's Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 gained 0.92 percent to hit 2.04 percent of the total market, while Microsoft's Surface initiative continued to stagnate with a 0.17 percent increase to account for a 0.4 percent marketshare. The Surface is slowly catching up to RIM's defunct BlackBerry Playbook, which lost 0.02 percent to end the year with 0.68 percent.

Despite the uptick in rival tablets, Chitika expects the iPad to re-enter the 80 percent range as users return from holiday vacations, though warned that total marketshare will not reach pre-holiday levels.
post #2 of 76
1. US & Canada data only
2. Let's talk margins
3. Let's talk halo
post #3 of 76
i dont know why news like this is posted, im sure this goes up and down depending on who was using what on the days the sample was taken
post #4 of 76

I think it's official, the Surface is a flop.

post #5 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by neillwd View Post

1. US & Canada data only
2. Let's talk margins
3. Let's talk halo

Even for just the US and Canadian markets that's lower than I would have expected for such a low cost device that is so popular on Amazon's rankings. I expected it somewhere between 10-15% for the holiday season.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

Reply
post #6 of 76
Not just that, but this ad firm is hardly a Google. I have to wonder about demographics, what sites (more Android based, or was Amazon.com itself counted, which can account for numbers.)

I see these, and then the next day, someone posts a completely opposite statistic says something else entirely. To me they all seem to skew the numbers to influence public perception in hopes of pushing people down a specific direction (lemming theory)..
post #7 of 76
hey usage share is a good metric. Do they count only web browsing or are apps involved?
post #8 of 76

"while competing devices from Amazon, Samsung and Google gained a total of 5.5 percent over the same period."

 

So pretty much every single competing device from every other company managed to gain a grand combined total of 5.5% share? 

 

Wow, iPad better wrap it up, it had a good run. 

post #9 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I think it's official, the Surface is a flop.


When the BB Playbook has higher numbers... yes, it's official. (both of them might as well be zero)

Hmmmmmm...
Reply
Hmmmmmm...
Reply
post #10 of 76
Makes perfect sense, more choices always mean some newcomers or gift givers are persuaded by lower prices when things look superficially like they are more or less the same.
So what's amazing is how little Apple lost in this context. Many of these Kindle users will eventually end up with an iPad. I see the same dynamic with smartphone users: iPhone users stick with the iPhone, while users of other devices keep buying one device after another, often resenting the iPhone for "religious" reasons, but when after the 5th to 10th phone they try they try an iPhone, they usually stick with it.
Also remember: the market as a whole grows faster than Apple looses market share, so Apple will still post sales growth and retains good margins.
Bad news on Apple sells these days, it's like everyone in the news wants to see a giant fall, just because that makes for good news; so selective reporting is under that angle a lot of the time.
post #11 of 76

The Surface RT is another ZUNE.

post #12 of 76
I don't think the problem is that the device is better. Perhaps it's a combination of price and iTunes service side not matching up to Amazon in some respects.

iTunes has music hands down, but Amazon has books hands down (bigger range and lower prices), I guess it comes from their respective legacies. Don't know who has the biggest/best movie range, but there is no legacy to contend with there so Apple has no excuse to not be on top.
post #13 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

Not just that, but this ad firm is hardly a Google. I have to wonder about demographics, what sites (more Android based, or was Amazon.com itself counted, which can account for numbers.)
I see these, and then the next day, someone posts a completely opposite statistic says something else entirely. To me they all seem to skew the numbers to influence public perception in hopes of pushing people down a specific direction (lemming theory)..

That's funny, Apple hasn't released any final numbers, so where are they getting info from?  Amazon?  That's only what sold through Amazon.


Until Apple and the others release valid REAL AUTHENTIC numbers, then these numbers are meaningless.

post #14 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

i dont know why news like this is posted, im sure this goes up and down depending on who was using what on the days the sample was taken

Kindle Fire gained 3% for a total market share of 7.5% and Apple has 78%.  I'm sure Apple is scared.   hahahahahahaha.

post #15 of 76

This just represents internet traffic for US and Canada.......  78% for Apple?  Jeez.......

post #16 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think the problem is that the device is better. Perhaps it's a combination of price and iTunes service side not matching up to Amazon in some respects.

iTunes has music hands down, but Amazon has books hands down (bigger range and lower prices), I guess it comes from their respective legacies. Don't know who has the biggest/best movie range, but there is no legacy to contend with there so Apple has no excuse to not be on top.

For one, nobody cares about devices, people care about the software. iOS *IS* better, because it's not a scaled up smart phone OS on the iPads, but has tablet specific features. This was shown quite well by Apple during the introduction of the iPad mini, when they showed how various apps and web sites display and operate on the iPad vs. some Android tablet.

For two, even if Amazon has books down better than Apple (which I would dispute, since newer Kindles won't even be able to use epub documents, because Amazon tries to lock people into their proprietary format), there's a Kindle app for the iPad. So on the iPad you have the best of all worlds, you can choose between iBooks or the Kindle app, or use both; just as it's trivial to download music from Amazon and add it to your iTunes library.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

That's funny, Apple hasn't released any final numbers, so where are they getting info from?  Amazon?  That's only what sold through Amazon.

Until Apple and the others release valid REAL AUTHENTIC numbers, then these numbers are meaningless.

Amazon doesn't ever release any numbers at all, Apple only release the numbers they want to, e.g. not necessarily breaking down numbers by model, etc.
Therefore all that can be done is analyze web traffic and see how traffic patterns work.

Part of that is, that because competing devices have worse software (scaled up smart phone user interface, not a tablet specific interface, as was e.g. demonstrated by Apple during the release of the iPad mini), Apple dominates web traffic even more than it dominates market share.

So if the software or the web site optimizations improve for competing devices, then the traffic for competing devices my increase stronger than their sales.
Also, even if people realize they made a mistake and end up buying an iPad, they won't throw away their competing tablets, but hand them off to their kids or make gifts. Younger users use the internet more frequently, so even e.g. parents handing off their non iOS devices to some kids as gifts can result in an increase of web traffic of competing devices by shoving them into a younger user segment.

Without very careful analysis, all such numbers follow the old addage: "there are lies, there are damned lies and there are statistics" or "don't believe any statistics, unless you forged them yourself."
post #17 of 76

deleted


Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:09pm
post #18 of 76

Playbook over iPad?

 

That doesn't make any sense. 

post #19 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

This just represents internet traffic for US and Canada.......  78% for Apple?  Jeez.......

Not internet traffic. It's based on the number of ad views.

Basically it's a report intended to woo potential iPad advertisers to use their ad network.
post #20 of 76

This news, coupled with the recently announced Do Not Disturb-Gate, surely spells the End of Apple (Version 353). 

post #21 of 76
The only data that matters is sales data so let's see your numbers Amazon, Samsung.
post #22 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by drblank View Post

That's funny, Apple hasn't released any final numbers, so where are they getting info from?  Amazon?  That's only what sold through Amazon.


Until Apple and the others release valid REAL AUTHENTIC numbers, then these numbers are meaningless.

 

The numbers are fine and frankly to be expected.  This is ad impressions, not device sales.

 

The 86% share prior to the holidays was likely inflated by the iPad Mini launch which then leveled out because it was supply constrained.  78.9% represents the BlackFriday-XMas bump for the Fire HD which I saw quite a few of.  As the Mini supply catch up to sales the share will even out again...as they say, slightly above 80ish percent.

 

The Fire HD is a nice device.  I'd have gotten a Nexus instead if I really didn't want to buy an iPad.

post #23 of 76

Why posting a title that makes people think that Apple is selling LESS than it was, when they can barely meet demand?

 

I know it should be hilarious, but this is sad.

post #24 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by ifij775 View Post

I think it's official, the Surface is a flop.

Flops make a noise, this was a pretty silent failure. As a kid throwing spinning stones in ponds we called it a 'dead man's dive'. No splash, no sound ... Straight down.
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
From Apple ][ - to new Mac Pro I've used them all.
Long on AAPL so biased
"Google doesn't sell you anything, they just sell you!"
Reply
post #25 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcfa View Post


For one, nobody cares about devices, people care about the software. iOS *IS* better, because it's not a scaled up smart phone OS on the iPads, but has tablet specific features. This was shown quite well by Apple during the introduction of the iPad mini, when they showed how various apps and web sites display and operate on the iPad vs. some Android tablet.
For two, even if Amazon has books down better than Apple (which I would dispute, since newer Kindles won't even be able to use epub documents, because Amazon tries to lock people into their proprietary format), there's a Kindle app for the iPad. So on the iPad you have the best of all worlds, you can choose between iBooks or the Kindle app, or use both; just as it's trivial to download music from Amazon and add it to your iTunes library.
Amazon doesn't ever release any numbers at all, Apple only release the numbers they want to, e.g. not necessarily breaking down numbers by model, etc.

I think you're going a bit far with the "nobody cares about devices" comment. Yes the software is the most important thing, but battery life, weight, size, Retina display are things people care about too. You're right about the Kindle App. You're also locked in with iBooks though because even though it's an epub it's an encrypted epub.

post #26 of 76
So is it lower because iPad sales are down or because everyone else is up and thus the total market that this is a percent of is up.

And this is compared to what? Last year, six months ago or numbers on Dec 1 v dec 27th.

Not to mention there could be devices that don't have any apps or visited sites that use said ad network or there could be more titles for Android that do and so on.

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply

A non tech's thoughts on Apple stuff 

(She's family so I'm a little biased)

Reply
post #27 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

So is it lower because iPad sales are down or because everyone else is up and thus the total market that this is a percent of is up.
And this is compared to what? Last year, six months ago or numbers on Dec 1 v dec 27th.
Not to mention there could be devices that don't have any apps or visited sites that use said ad network or there could be more titles for Android that do and so on.

Last month microsoft sold 1 surface.

 

This time they sold 3. That's a 300% increase right there, in 1-month span, while Apple is sleeping and losing it's shine and market share.

I wonder how Apple fanboys will deal with this one.

post #28 of 76
Data to exploit the ignorant. Especially when ad impression have sip to do with market share. Especially when you consider that iOS users go out of their way to avoid ad supported software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector7G View Post

i dont know why news like this is posted, im sure this goes up and down depending on who was using what on the days the sample was taken
post #29 of 76
Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post
Data to exploit the ignorant. Especially when ad impression have sip to do with market share. Especially when you consider that iOS users go out of their way to avoid ad supported software.

 

"We Android users get to have AdBlock, so we don't even see these ads. We have MUCH more useshare than this."

post #30 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrayven View Post

I see these, and then the next day, someone posts a completely opposite statistic says something else entirely. To me they all seem to skew the numbers to influence public perception in hopes of pushing people down a specific direction (lemming theory)..

 

Really? I see numerous reports like these that all have similar numbers favoring the iPad. The only one that shows anything different is that useless article from Cloud Four Blog using data from Akamai. The firm whose analytics are so lousy they can't even separate iPhones from iPads and have to guess what the data really means.

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post


The only stats here are from Chitika, the same company whose stats are lauded as unquestionably accurate in this forum whenever they appear to favor Apple.

 

And you like to post that Cloud Four Blog article I mentioned right above, the only study that shows anything different from the numerous studies that show iOS/iPads dominating internet traffic. As I told you in the last thread (that you left and never bothered responding), how come you link a single study and claim it as valid when it goes against Apple but condemn a single report that favors Apple? Hypocrite much?

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDarling View Post



Basically it's a report intended to woo potential iPad advertisers to use their ad network.

 

Possibly. What do you say about App developers who track internet usage directly from the devices in question? What about IBM who discovered iPads dominated holiday online shopping purchases (among mobile devices)? What was IBM going to gain by reporting what devices were used? When one study says something you can be skeptical. When numerous studies all say the same thing it's time to take off the green blinders and realize the cold, hard truth: iOS owns the mobile internet.

post #31 of 76

My local bookstore discourages the Kindle because of Amazon's exclusive access to book sales on the Kindle. Why do you think they are dumping them so cheaply?

post #32 of 76

I'm not giving these numbers much credit either, BUT, c'mon guys...with the improvement in quality of Samsung/Nexus/Kindle tablets, I can't discredit their percentages either.  And yes, anecdotally, there seems to be a few more "other" tablets in the wild.  But just as important, what I think is missing from these percentages, are total numbers.  In my opinion, total sales of tablets are increasing.  Some increase due to new adds and some due to transition away from laptops and PCs.  So Apple's minor reduction in percentage is still a massive/healthy bottom line (in gross income). 

post #33 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"We Android users get to have AdBlock, so we don't even see these ads. We have MUCH more useshare than this."

Get it right, it's called AdFree.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
Reply
post #34 of 76

Kindle users had the option to browse the Web, or buy content from Amazon... Of course people were surfing their behinds off on them.

 

The numbers (increase/decrease percentages) for Galaxy, Nexus, PlayBook and Surface RT are not even exceeding the margin of error. The two days after christmas are barely representative for anything (at least not in countries with a more or less Christian majority).

 

iPad users were busy having intercourse with people they gave iPads to. 7.14% of lucky bastards out there :-)

post #35 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post


Even for just the US and Canadian markets that's lower than I would have expected for such a low cost device that is so popular on Amazon's rankings. I expected it somewhere between 10-15% for the holiday season.

There could have been a lot more sales of brand X products than these numbers indicate. An iPad owner is many times more likely to use their iPad to browse the internet than bottom feeders with their drool-smeared cheap tablets. 1cool.gif

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #36 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


Flops make a noise, this was a pretty silent failure. As a kid throwing spinning stones in ponds we called it a 'dead man's dive'. No splash, no sound ... Straight down.

 

What kind of fail makes a clicking or snapping sound? (as when a keyboard clips onto the screen on a Surface)

"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
"We're Apple. We don't wear suits. We don't even own suits."
Reply
post #37 of 76

Sarc'No way ,I wanna carry a keyboard around with me and run Windows like its 1984...old skool..Windows Style'

post #38 of 76
Wait does anybody else notice in total the iPad lose more than gained by all other competitors.
post #39 of 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrook View Post

My local bookstore discourages the Kindle because of Amazon's exclusive access to book sales on the Kindle. Why do you think they are dumping them so cheaply?

The Kindle is made and sold for one purpose only: To suck every possible dime out of your pockets and deposit all of it into their banks. 

"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
"That (the) world is moving so quickly that iOS is already amongst the older mobile operating systems in active development today." — The Verge
Reply
post #40 of 76
Originally Posted by Curtis Hannah View Post
Wait does anybody else notice in total the iPad lose more than gained by all other competitors.

 

There is an unaccounted for "Other" category that is even less meaningful than 0.4%.

 

Note just how absolutely laughable all the percentages are other than the iPad's. The Surface (and its four tenths of ONE percent) is only included at all because it's from a "big brand name".

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Amazon's Kindle Fire gains marketshare at expense of iPad over holidays, research shows