or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's share of US mobile phone market grows to 18.5%

Apple's share of US mobile phone market grows to 18.5%

post #1 of 53
A new survey of U.S. mobile subscribers has found that Apple's iPhone continues to take a larger share of the overall market, up 1.4 percentage points to 18.5 percent.

comScore

Apple's growth in the three-month span ending in November gave it the largest point change of all handset makers. Apple's growth was enough to put it ahead of LG, which fell from 18.2 percent of the mobile market in August to 17.5 percent in November, good for third place.

Apple's's chief rival, Samsung, saw its share of active U.S. users rise 1.2 percentage points, growing its market leading share to 26.9 percent. The data includes owners of both smartphones and "feature" phones.

With Samsung in first, Apple in second, and LG third, Google-owned Motorola took fourth in the survey, accounting for 10.4 percent of users. Motorola's share slid 0.8 percentage points between August and November.

Finally, HTC was the fifth most popular handset maker among mobile subscribers, with a 5.9 percent share, down 0.4 percentage points from August.

In terms of smartphone platforms, Google extended its lead by 1.1 percentage points, as Android accounted for 53.7 percent of all active smartphone users in the U.S.

Apple also grew its share but couldn't keep pace with Google: iOS accounted for 35 percent of the market, up 0.7 percentage points from August.

Google and Apple continue to dominate the smartphone market and push out competitors, as RIM, Microsoft and Nokia's Symbian all saw their market share slide in November. Together, RIM and Microsoft make up just over 10 percent of the U.S. smartphone market, while Symbian has just a half-percent.
post #2 of 53
Although its great that Apple had some growth. I still believe there is room for Apple to diversify the iPhone lineup and capture even more market share from Google.
post #3 of 53

Apple is Doomed™

post #4 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post
 The data includes owners of both smartphones and "feature" phones.

Important point. 

post #5 of 53

I wonder what Samsung's Smart phone percentage is. Curious to see if they have more smartphones in people's pockets then apple does. 

post #6 of 53

Apple is gonna continue to increase as HTC gets bought out.

An Apple man since 1977
An Apple man since 1977
post #7 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple v. Samsung View Post

I wonder what Samsung's Smart phone percentage is. Curious to see if they have more smartphones in people's pockets then apple does. 

Your proposed survey needs to be broken down further by pocket size.
post #8 of 53
Quote:

it would not surprise me. samsung android phones are significantly cheaper than apple's. they can be found for under $100 off contract when the iPhone 4 sells for $450.

post #9 of 53

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:12pm
post #10 of 53
Quote:

iPhone 5 launch propels Apple to 53% of US smartphone sales

As for total installed base... I have no idea.

But iPhones are pretty darn popular in the US.
post #11 of 53
"Together, RIM and Microsoft make up just over 10 percent of the U.S. smartphone market, while Symbian has just a half-percent. "

Not sure why you're comparing companies with an OS here.
post #12 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Important point. 

"In terms of smartphone platforms, Google extended its lead by 1.1 percentage points, as Android accounted for 53.7 percent of all active smartphone users in the U.S"

Important point.

post #13 of 53
With their 5 year old goal (yes, 5 year) of 1% global market share this US share certainly is, not too shabby.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
I’d rather have a better product than a better price.
post #14 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

it would not surprise me. samsung android phones are significantly cheaper than apple's. they can be found for under $100 off contract when the iPhone 4 sells for $450.

If we're talking about the US market... how many people buy phones off-contract?

As for on-contract... the more expensive current iPhone handily outsells the cheaper, older versions. I once saw an estimate that 89% of iPhones sold were the $200+ on-contract phone... not many people are interested in the the $100 iPhone or "free" iPhone.

Same for the iPad. The $500+ iPad handily outsold the cheaper iPad 2 (but now the iPad mini will be interesting to watch)

I guess the takeaway is this... if you're talking about Apple products in the US... the more expensive models tend to go home with a lot more people.

But if you're more interested in Android products... are the cheaper Android phones the top sellers?

BTW... which Android phone can you get for $100 off-contract?
post #15 of 53
Nokia? (Crickets)

"Apple should pull the plug on the iPhone."

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #16 of 53

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:12pm
post #17 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by realwarder View Post

"Together, RIM and Microsoft make up just over 10 percent of the U.S. smartphone market, while Symbian has just a half-percent. "
Not sure why you're comparing companies with an OS here.
Tech click bait articles demand dressing up every story as a rivalry. Whatever language or concepts serves this purpose are mixed into the word salad for maximum effect.

John C. Dvorak, 2007

John C. Dvorak, 2007
post #18 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbook View Post

Although its great that Apple had some growth. I still believe there is room for Apple to diversify the iPhone lineup and capture even more market share from Google.

Samsung is going to invest heavily in Tizen and/or Bada, which will start to make Google less of a factor in the debate.

The next question is if Samsung drops to 40-50% Android phones, what happens to Android?
post #19 of 53
Android is doomed.
post #20 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Wal-Mart's site lists 5 under $100. Two of them even being under $80.

Amazon has 24 just by looking at Android at the listed title. They start at below $42.
Edited by SolipsismX - 1/3/13 at 12:04pm

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

This bot has been removed from circulation due to a malfunctioning morality chip.

post #21 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Wal-Mart's site lists 5 under $100. Two of them even being under $80.

Oh ok... those cheap pre-paid Android phones. Essentially the "burners" of this generation.

Doesn't this fall under the category of "you get what you pay for" ?

Wouldn't a $299 Nexus 4 be a much better phone?
post #22 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by agramonte View Post

"In terms of smartphone platforms, Google extended its lead by 1.1 percentage points, as Android accounted for 53.7 percent of all active smartphone users in the U.S"

Important point.

It is an important point. Android's market share growth has apparently stalled out faster than expected.

post #23 of 53
Quote:

Oh ok... those cheap pre-paid Android phones. Essentially the "burners" of this generation.
Doesn't this fall under the category of "you get what you pay for" ?
Wouldn't a $299 Nexus 4 be a much better phone?

Not following your point. You asked a question that seemed to imply that it wasn't possible. I have shown that it is. Many of those models are from Samsung.

If your point is that most of Samsung's "smartphone' sales are in the same high-end range as Apple's smartphone sales then why even suggest that there are not sub-$100 Samsung "smartphones"?

Note: I'm putting smartphone in quotes there because 'I' do not think that any device running Android should be labeled as a smartphone. IMO, these low cost "burners" are today's feature phones.

post #24 of 53
That brings back memories of one of the most awesome product intros ever.

A phone.
An iPod.
An Internet navigator.
Are you getting me?
post #25 of 53
Quote:

Not following your point. You asked a question that seemed to imply that it wasn't possible. I have shown that it is. Many of those models are from Samsung.
If your point is that most of Samsung's "smartphone' sales are in the same high-end range as Apple's smartphone sales then why even suggest that there are not sub-$100 Samsung "smartphones"?
Note: I'm putting smartphone in quotes there because 'I' do not think that any device running Android should be labeled as a smartphone. IMO, these low cost "burners" are today's feature phones.

Can you list some Android phones that would not qualify and why? I'm not trying to pick at your point but an sincerely curious. For example, are there Huawei phones that cannot access most websites and cannot run 90% of apps?
post #26 of 53
Quote:

Important point. 

More like "featureless" phones.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example" Mark Twain
"Just because something is deemed the law doesn't make it just" - SolipsismX
post #27 of 53
Quote:

I didn't think there were smartphones available for $100. Thank you for enlightening me.

New topic... is Samsung really dominating by pumping a bunch of garbage phones into the market? A bunch of phones that will never see a modern OS?

I often wonder this... Android has something like 75% market share across the globe. A big number.

But shouldn't all those terrible phones weigh against Android as a whole? You know... Fandroids spouting off about "winning" while those StraightTalk phones are being sold today running Froyo...
post #28 of 53
Quote:

I didn't think there were smartphones available for $100. Thank you for enlightening me.
New topic... is Samsung really dominating by pumping a bunch of garbage phones into the market? A bunch of phones that will never see a modern OS?
I often wonder this... Android has something like 75% market share across the globe. A big number.
But shouldn't all those terrible phones weigh against Android as a whole? You know... Fandroids spouting off about "winning" while those StraightTalk phones are being sold today running Froyo...

75%? I haven't seen that. Looking at web traffic it's clear that most of these Android-based devices are being used like Symbian was when it dominated the mobile-OS front when the iPhone was already dominating the web traffic with its rich apps usable browser. If it really is that high throughout world than the low-cost Android "feature" phone market is even worse than I thought.

I think worldwide Samsung might be the biggest supplier of cheap Android phones. It seems clear they are making their money from the high-end Android phones. There doesn't seem to be a better option for a high-end Android phone than Samsung. The Galaxy line of products is certainly selling well. The Galaxy SIII is not only selling well, but has legs much like an Apple product selling well across multiple quarters. Every Android-based vendor (and Google) should be afraid of Samsung.

post #29 of 53

God forbid that a "smartphone" is actually used as a phone to communicate with somebody.

post #30 of 53
Quote:

75%? I haven't seen that. Looking at web traffic it's clear that most of these Android-based devices are being used like Symbian was when it dominated the mobile-OS front when the iPhone was already dominating the web traffic with its rich apps usable browser. If it really is that high throughout world than the low-cost Android "feature" phone market is even worse than I thought.

Android surges to 75% smartphone market share in Q3

Google's (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android mobile operating system powered three out of every four smartphones shipped worldwide during the third quarter of 2012, according to new data from market intelligence firm IDC.

There are reports like this all over the web...
post #31 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarrrgggh View Post

Samsung is going to invest heavily in Tizen and/or Bada, which will start to make Google less of a factor in the debate.
The next question is if Samsung drops to 40-50% Android phones, what happens to Android?

I doubt Samsung's higher end phones are switching from android anytime soon.

One of the perks with galaxy phones are plenty of apps and compatible software which Samsung wont get with another OS. I suppose the cheaper android phones they sell could use an alternative OS but those phones matter far less to google anyway.

Aside from that my point was that it might be a good time for Apple to add a few more iPhone models up and down the spectrum.
post #32 of 53
@ stelligent,

It's hard to list which phones as I don't know any of the low-end devices by name. I can point out aspect that I think would not qualify but that is stuff is highly debatable. All I can say or certain is that devices that were once considered feature phones are being replaced by devices that are now considered smartphones yet they are still used the same way. See the chart below.

Quote:

Android surges to 75% smartphone market share in Q3
Google's (NASDAQ:GOOG) Android mobile operating system powered three out of every four smartphones shipped worldwide during the third quarter of 2012, according to new data from market intelligence firm IDC.
There are reports like this all over the web...

Thanks, although I do like links and images. 1biggrin.gif

This image helps detail I was mentioning earlier. iOS still grew (not it's just for handsets, not including PMPs or tablets) but Symbian took a huge beating. That tells me the growth in units is in what was previously the cheap feature phone market which are now being called smartphones simply because they run Android in some form or fashion. I personally think that makes it a poor judge of the actual smartphone industry or the size of the market for Android-based developers.

post #33 of 53
Samsung expects to sell 390 million "smartphones" in 2013. This tells you all you need to know: Samsungs "definition" of smartphone allows them to claim big numbers by including low-end devices in the smartphone category.

All you have to do is look as GS3 + Note sales (Samsung likes to brag how many they've moved) and compare that to the total number of "smartphones" they've moved. There's a pretty big number left over.

Or look at Samsungs smartphone revenue vs their unit sales. You come up with an average price per phone that shows for every GS3 sold they also sold several less expensive devices.

It might look impressive, but it's not. People wonder why Android traffic is lower than iOS? Or why the App Store pays out so much more $$$ than Google Play? Simple. All those people with low end devices don't buy Apps (and most Apps probably don't run well on their lousy processors anyway) and they don't use the Internet much (who wants to browse on a 320x240 2.8" screen).

The facts are out there and the conclusions are obvious. Obvious to all except Apple haters/green kool aid drinkers.
post #34 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieWallieWhiskers View Post

...and how much for a Galaxy Note 2, here they cost more than a 16GB iPhone 5, the SIII has dropped to become slightly lower.

Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
Better than my Bose, better than my Skullcandy's, listening to Mozart through my LeBron James limited edition PowerBeats by Dre is almost as good as my Sennheisers.
post #35 of 53
Yeah, and Apple is making all the $$$$ too
post #36 of 53
Quote:

Something like this powerhouse.

post #37 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilly View Post

Yeah, and Apple is making all the $$$$ too

Most of it but Samsung is certainly making healthy profits which tells me they are selling plenty of their high-end devices and likely have a fairly efficient production process that other Android-based vendors can't contend with.

post #38 of 53
Quote:

Important point. 

It would be if we had a static definition for each type.

post #39 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Something like this powerhouse.

What an odd phone. Clearly there is a reason for a 2G-only GSM phone but with dual-SIM card slots and 802.11n capabilities. What markets would that be ideal for?

post #40 of 53
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Can you list some Android phones that would not qualify and why? I'm not trying to pick at your point but an sincerely curious. For example, are there Huawei phones that cannot access most websites and cannot run 90% of apps?

Technically they are smartphones, however from a user perspective they are often only used as feature phones, which is reflected in various user statistics.

Return Home
  Back to Forum: iPhone
AppleInsider › Forums › Mobile › iPhone › Apple's share of US mobile phone market grows to 18.5%