or Connect
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Corning's third-gen Gorilla Glass could be bound for next iPhone, iPad

Corning's third-gen Gorilla Glass could be bound for next iPhone, iPad - Page 2

post #41 of 62
"History will show that Steve Jobs actually ushered in an age that included transparent aluminum (or transparent "aluminium" for those who prefer the Jony Ive pronunciation)."

I remember that. Scotty was showing it to an engineer on an early Macintosh.
post #42 of 62
It is surprising that Apple was the first to talk to their partners about creating a scratch resistant screen. Watch makers and eyeglass makers have been on this for a long time. Why electronics were stuck with a plastic screen so long probably has more to do with the race to the bottom Walmart mentality of most of the industry. They were asking their parters how to make it cheaper instead of how to make it better.
post #43 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

The idea was put forward by many people at the time.  Mostly because at first, Apple being Apple, they didn't tell anyone whether they were using Gorilla Glass or not.  Ergo, all the freetards an juveniles in the Android camp assumed, that it couldn't be true Gorilla Glass.  

I remember a lot of comments to the effect of "If Apple is using Gorilla Glass, it would say so right in the specs."  Mostly this is because these are the guys that use specs to compare everything, and because all the Android phones mentioned "Gorilla Glass" specifically, in their spec sheets.  The idea that Apple wouldn't actually give a shit about this kind of cross-branding apparently didn't occur to them. 

Kind of like the people who openly wondered if Intel would force Apple to put those hideous "Intel Inside" stickers on their laptops when Apple made the switch from PPC to Intel processors. 

post #44 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Then don't drop it.  If you do, you have no one to blame but yourself.  Drop a fine-china dinner plate see how that works for you.

Seriously, take responsibility for your actions.  If I drop my phone and it breaks, it's my own damn fault.  Realize that an iPhone is sturdy, but not indestructable.  I've dropped my iPhone plenty of times and breathe a sigh of relief that nothing happened to it.  I'm certainly not going to blame Apple/Corning if it breaks.

As far as I'm concerned, using glass for the front has way more advantages that outweigh the possibility it may break if you drop it on concrete.

Or simply put the phone in a case or bumper.
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
"I'm way over my head when it comes to technical issues like this"
Gatorguy 5/31/13
post #45 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Seriously Phil? I absolutely refuse to believe that such a commonly used phrase could be that misunderstood. Solip's word-by-word breakdown was the most exaggerated example of pedantics I've ever seen.

What I meant was obvious. Some people around here just thrive on being dicks.

tekstud, is that you? I think what tipped me off was the rapid switch from saying something, then denying you ever had, along with this gem:

Quote:
Dude, are you having a reading comprehension problem today?

Classic tekstud at his best.

BTW, the word is 'pedantry'.

post #46 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You clearly stated "Personally I don't care whether it's GG, window pane or SuperMegaGlass, I just want something that doesn't break when I drop it." Your use of 'just' implies only or no more than therefore it reads as the only consideration you care about. That reads very differently than, "I understand why they choose GG but I would also like it to be more shatter resistance to impacts."

This is ridiculous.

Honestly, it seems as if you just misread the post, decided to be arrogant about it, then justified it by breaking down the last sentence. The overall purpose for the post was neither to say that he demanded something that didn't break, nor that GG wasn't up to par; the very reasoning for his post agreed with you in saying that it didn't matter what material is called as long as it strong.

post #47 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Well, maybe I was being dickie as well. I'm in IT and think Yes or No, True or False, One or Zero. And since American is not my native language I tend to read things word for word, let it sink in and 'process'. And I have the tendency to never take things at face value, so I kind of understand what Solipsism wrote, yet at the same time get (now) what you mean. But honestly, afterwards.

Okay, if *YOU* interpreted what I wrote as bitching, then I have to concede that I must not have been clear. I sometimes get the feeling that people around here read with an eye to looking for reasons to argue, but you are not one of those people.

I'm sorry that I gave the impression that I was complaining. Because I believed my comments were utterly innocuous, I didn't understand the negative reactions. I now understand that what I wrote wasn't clear, and those who responded to me thought I meant something I didn't intend. I apologize for being an asshole. I'll try not to do that again.

Edited by v5v - 1/4/13 at 10:51am
post #48 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by boeyc15 View Post

Transparent aluminum has not been invented (outside Star Trek) yet.

There is a rumour that the writers actually heard that scientists were well on the way to developing transparent aluminium which is why they scripted it.

post #49 of 62
Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post
tekstud, is that you? I think what tipped me off was the rapid switch from saying something, then denying you ever had, along with this gem:

Classic tekstud at his best.

Unless he bought all new hardware and moved out of the country, it's not him. Carry on.

Originally posted by Marvin

Even if [the 5.5” iPhone exists], it doesn’t deserve to.

post #50 of 62
Quote:

[...] BTW, the word is 'pedantry'.

At first I thought you were just being pedantic, but I looked it up and you're right! Of course, you already knew that. Thanks!

post #51 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Unless he bought all new hardware and moved out of the country, it's not him. Carry on.

Don't rule it out as a possibility with him.

post #52 of 62
Don't rule it out as a possibility with him.

Given the length of his tenure here, there's not much I'd rule out, but his most recent endeavors lead me to believe that he wouldn't have been able to hold multiple active accounts at once.

post #53 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyy View Post

This is ridiculous.

Honestly, it seems as if you just misread the post, decided to be arrogant about it, then justified it by breaking down the last sentence. The overall purpose for the post was neither to say that he demanded something that didn't break, nor that GG wasn't up to par; the very reasoning for his post agreed with you in saying that it didn't matter what material is called as long as it strong.

What leek of education am I dealing with here? What he states is neither accurate nor complete. We make allowances for children in their reading comprehension but do expect adults to be more diligent, especially on tech forums.

Also, you can't throw around comments like you want it stronger without atating how and what you're willing or not willing to give up to get that type of strength without sounding like you haven't really through it through. You are talking about compressive strength. V5v wants to go back to plastic but hasn't considered how worse it would be to have a phone that needs a front protector and/or actively keeping even plastic from marring the surface.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Always moving to new countries so he can post in AI. Classic Teckstud.

"The real haunted empire?  It's the New York Times." ~SockRolid

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

"There is no rule that says the best phones must have the largest screen." ~RoundaboutNow

post #54 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by droslovinia View Post

"History will show that Steve Jobs actually ushered in an age that included transparent aluminum (or transparent "aluminium" for those who prefer the Jony Ive pronunciation)."
I remember that. Scotty was showing it to an engineer on an early Macintosh.

What's extra amusing is that the film takes place around the time when all the transparent aluminium patents were coming out. So rather than Star Trek inventing the concept, it was actually making a joke that the very real "technology" actually came from the future. But no one heard of it outside ST IV, so the joke was incompletely understood (unless you were all up on the bleeding edge industry stuff when you saw the film).

That's how it worked for me, embarrassingly.
post #55 of 62
"Native Damage Resistance" technology."

Give me a frickin break. It's simply a more rigid structure.
post #56 of 62
I have a 1st Gen iPhone that I am still using (since my iPhone 4 is locked). I have thrown that phone against the wall, the ground, every which way (yes in anger... you don't know my wife!) and... it did not break. I cannot tell you how many times it has been dropped... but still has not broken.

The LCD is however starting to go out but with the amount of abuse this phone has received... its amazing that is all that is wrong with it.

My 2 y/o dropped my iPhone 4 shortly after I bought it... and BAM! the glass broke. Whatever was done with the original iPhone... I wish they would bring it's sure strength back.
post #57 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by dysamoria View Post

"Native Damage Resistance" technology."
Give me a frickin break. It's simply a more rigid structure.

One of the features of GG has always been its flexibility which is why GG has properties of being flexible like plastic but without the shortcoming of scratching like plastic. I can't see why would want the glass to be more rigid.

post #58 of 62
Quote:

Also, you can't throw around comments like you want it stronger without atating how and what you're willing or not willing to give up to get that type of strength without sounding like you haven't really through it through. You are talking about compressive strength. V5v wants to go back to plastic but hasn't considered how worse it would be to have a phone that needs a front protector and/or actively keeping even plastic from marring the surface.

I've already apologized for being unclear. For the record, I did not mean that I prefer plastic. I didn't really mean ANYTHING, it was just wishing out loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't know who Teckstud is, but based on the context I'm getting the impression that the comparison is not flattering...

post #59 of 62

deleted

Edited by MacRulez - 5/16/13 at 12:21pm
post #60 of 62
Quote:

I can't see why would want the glass to be more rigid.

(image removed, no sense in creating toilet-paper-long threads)

Military precision here; fantastic response! And thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Quote:

I don't know who Teckstud is, but based on the context I'm getting the impression that the comparison is not flattering...

You would be right, but don't forget this is also the funny bunch here, and a lot of stuff is tongue in cheek. Or at least to me.
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
"Fibonacci: As easy as 1, 1, 2, 3..."
post #61 of 62

Sorry, I never seen the /s tag before.

post #62 of 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by esummers View Post

Why electronics were stuck with a plastic screen so long probably has more to do with the race to the bottom Walmart mentality of most of the industry. They were asking their parters how to make it cheaper instead of how to make it better.

Um, Apple was pretty infamous for years of plastic iPod screens that scratched.   Heck, there was a whole sub industry dedicated to iPod scratch removal remedies.

Not to mention that the iPhone was also originally going to have a plastic screen.   If you recall, this led to an outpouring of complaints online from iPod owners predicting how scratched up the iPhone screen was going to get. 

That hugely negative reaction is likely one main reason why Jobs began a last minute search for an alternative material.   It wasn't until the week before the iPhone went on sale, six months after first being shown off, that Apple was finally able to say that it was switching from plastic to glass.  (In his biography, it points out that they needed it within six months, which also fits the timeline.)

Good for Jobs, that he cared about customer worries in this case.   Scratch resistance won out over breakage resistance, which is more what other makers worried about at the time.

The point is, not everything is about a race to the bottom or whatever phrase is popular today.   Heck, some iPhones had plastic bodies, and no one complained... yet now suddenly plastic is evil and a sign of cheapness.

Edited by KDarling - 1/6/13 at 2:50pm
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: General Discussion
AppleInsider › Forums › General › General Discussion › Corning's third-gen Gorilla Glass could be bound for next iPhone, iPad